Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 3VZ-FE turbo ???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Rob.C
Regular

July 2005
3VZ-FE turbo ??? Wed, 17 August 2005 08:31 Go to next message
Has anyone got a 3VZ-FE turbo engine in Australia? I'm thinking of building one of them for my 96 camry.
  Send a private message to this user    
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Wed, 17 August 2005 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't do it man. Get a 3S-GTE instead.

You ever tried to remove the exhaust manifold? Cun+ of a job. It'd be cheaper to fit a 3S-GTE.
TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Wed, 17 August 2005 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Migbht cost the coin but you can put turbo's on anything if you wanted to and had the $$$ to spend.

I know zoom or some one featured one that was in a off road buggy. It was running fairly stock internals. However it doesn't help you with clearance issues.
Rob.C
Regular

July 2005
Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Wed, 17 August 2005 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fr3aK wrote on Wed, 17 August 2005 18:46

Don't do it man. Get a 3S-GTE instead.

You ever tried to remove the exhaust manifold? Cun+ of a job. It'd be cheaper to fit a 3S-GTE.

I have thought of that, but i don't particularly want to go from a 3L V6, to 2L 4 cyl.
noofa
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Wed, 17 August 2005 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude Head on over to www.toyotannation.com/forum

Look up some posts by Toysrme. He is banned now, but his shit is still there, he did the turbo you speak of.
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Wed, 17 August 2005 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
robs already there and has whored every 3vz turbo thread already. trust me, im there too Smile
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Wed, 17 August 2005 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think it's definitely worth a go...
the 3L is a good base, and even 6 or 7 psi will give a large boost in torque... and be something a little different..

do you have enough space for twins? or will you have to concoct some kind of single turbo arrangement?
a couple of small turbos should do the trick nicely...
CT12 too small? CT26 too big (for twin) hmmmmm

i reckon give it a go Very Happy
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Wed, 17 August 2005 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anything will be a concoction. a big single is teh easiest route, with teh rear banks up pipe to the turbo coming up where the front down pipe orignally went withte turbo in the old battery location, hes seen many pics and knows what im on about Razz

IC plumbing is the headache as it would have to go UNDER the radiator for a front mount which means less ground clearance.
Rob.C
Regular

July 2005
Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Wed, 17 August 2005 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
terra wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 01:48

robs already there and has whored every 3vz turbo thread already. trust me, im there too Smile

Laughing I don't call it whoring, i call it, the pursuit for knowledge Laughing

I have gone a little nuts at times. But i only have done it to find out as much as i possibly can, by asking the people that have already done it.

Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Wed, 17 August 2005 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can tell you now, there's no room. It sounds like a good idea to turbo your 3lt motor, but THERE'S NO ROOM!

Don't be scared to go from a 3lt atmo, to a 2lt turbo.
What do you want?
100fwkW with a 3lt, or 200fwkW+ with a 2lt turbo?
I know what i'd take, and you can still change your oil filter if you wanted... have you ever changed your oil filter in your 3lt? It's not the easiest of jobs, but it should be. Imagine trying to do anything else with a turbo and IC plumbing in the way.

If you're serious about having forced induction for your motor, cut a hole in your bonnet and supercharge it. It's the easiest way.
Rob.C
Regular

July 2005
Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Thu, 18 August 2005 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It has been done, plenty of times, but just not in Australia. The battery needs to be relocated to the boot, and the cruise control needs to be relocated or removed (removed personally). The turbo sits where the battery now sits, the rear bank pipe runs under the engine to the front bank and then onto the turbo. There is room. I have seen the before, during and after pics of the set-up. Yes it'll be a tight fit, but can be done.
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Thu, 18 August 2005 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't listen to me mate, if you've got the $$$ go for it.

I wanna see your before and after pics, and how much it costs
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Thu, 18 August 2005 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rob.C wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 13:33

It has been done, plenty of times, but just not in Australia. The battery needs to be relocated to the boot, and the cruise control needs to be relocated or removed (removed personally). The turbo sits where the battery now sits, the rear bank pipe runs under the engine to the front bank and then onto the turbo. There is room. I have seen the before, during and after pics of the set-up. Yes it'll be a tight fit, but can be done.

thats the spirit, pull the car off the road tomorrow and get crackin Wink
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Fri, 19 August 2005 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You could always go a Vortech belt driven blower-torque monster...
mideon_696
Regular

October 2004
Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Fri, 19 August 2005 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
now that would be fully sick, hehe. dude, u wanna force feed the sucker, then force feed it, i like the idea of the twin turbos, will give u shiteloads of torque
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Fri, 19 August 2005 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*cough*theydon'tfit*cough*
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Fri, 19 August 2005 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you could lowmount a small pair Smile low as in under the chassis rail low Razz hanging a bit past it Razz

youd want stock ride heightwiith stiffer dampers though Smile
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Fri, 19 August 2005 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You could high mount some above the motor. Just put a few small holes in the bonnet.

Then you can still lower the ride as much as you want!
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Fri, 19 August 2005 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fr3aK wrote on Fri, 19 August 2005 19:24

would you say that about a twin turbo 1UZ in a TA22? or an ST205?

anything can be made to fit somehow Wink just takes more planning... maybe move the motor a bit... move other things to make space...
mideon_696
Regular

October 2004
Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Fri, 19 August 2005 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Sat, 20 August 2005 00:45

Fr3aK wrote on Fri, 19 August 2005 19:24

would you say that about a twin turbo 1UZ in a TA22? or an ST205?

anything can be made to fit somehow Wink just takes more planning... maybe move the motor a bit... move other things to make space...

exactly, if u got the cash, u can make it happen! and personally, i wanna c u do it, so DO IT DAMMIT
Rob.C
Regular

July 2005
Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Sat, 20 August 2005 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have the plan all mapped out in my head. But i'm going to be moving soon, so all the mods etc will need to go on hold for a while. I plan on keeping everybody up do date on exactly what i'm doing and what i do/did to make things fit. But i'm going to be planning things very carefully and i will be buying every last thing i need before i even start to do anything. Might even do my own website Very Happy

It all comes down to top planning, every last detail. Taking everything into concideration, from fuel lines to oil filters and clearences. I look at it like this, did the Rigoli's, say it's to hard to build 1 of the world's fastest Fiat's ? No they planned for it. Same as PAC performance and every other performance outlet known to man. If they can do it, why can't i? The only thing stopping me is the bank balance. That's why i'm going to buy everything before i start. Plan first, buy second, and build third. Only limit is your imagination.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Sat, 20 August 2005 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wink zactly.
performance doesn't have to cost shiteloads of money.
the only big things you spend on are turbo, ECU, pistons, maybe cams.. most other things you can either do or make yourself (and a mate wth a welder Razz).. the trick is just making the bastards fit... it MUST be able to be done Cool
Rob.C
Regular

July 2005
Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Sat, 20 August 2005 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll do it. And i'm going to take my time doing it. My standard engine will become the test engine to get it up and running, and to iron out any problems that may come up, and then i'm going to build a new, fresh 3VZ-FE which will be able to handle big boost. I'm not trying to have the world's fastest camry (which would be cool Cool) but i want to show everybody that, anything can be done with any car, even a Camry.

Oldcorollas, your right, turbos and pistons will be where most of the money will go, the ECU, well i'm retaining the standard one to run the dash etc, and i'll get myself a piggy back ECU with a MAP sensor thrown in to take care of the air/fuel etc.

WATCH THIS SPACE Laughing It will be done, eventually, but i will do it.
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Sat, 20 August 2005 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the standard flap AFM is good for around 400-450hp, keep it.

an SMT-6 for about $320 USD new or less used is enough of a piggy back for what you want to do Very Happy
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Sat, 20 August 2005 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rob.C wrote on Sat, 20 August 2005 15:52

Oldcorollas, your right, turbos and pistons will be where most of the money will go

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you're an idiot.
Most of the money will go into building the custom manifolds and every other custom piece that is required. Then how much will it cost to put it all together and tune the ECU?
I think you need to rethink your planning. The labour costs of removing the engine then refitting it will cost more than the turbo(s) or pistons.
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Sat, 20 August 2005 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why hello there basic kithttp://www.turbotoyota.com/pipes.jpg

check out the 3vz-fte at turbotoyota.com

i got that guy on AIM hes pretty cool Very Happy

teh parts list isnt too expensive, and hes only running an SAFC

note hes also got nitrous too Razz

oh yeah the phat hoops dont give it away too much Very Happy

[Updated on: Sat, 20 August 2005 08:00]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Sat, 20 August 2005 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fr3aK wrote on Sat, 20 August 2005 17:44

Rob.C wrote on Sat, 20 August 2005 15:52

Oldcorollas, your right, turbos and pistons will be where most of the money will go

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you're an idiot.
Most of the money will go into building the custom manifolds and every other custom piece that is required. Then how much will it cost to put it all together and tune the ECU?
I think you need to rethink your planning. The labour costs of removing the engine then refitting it will cost more than the turbo(s) or pistons.

dude, some ppl can actually do their own fabrication and engine building.. not everyone has to pay someone else to do it Wink

labour costs of removing engine.. don't make me laugh Laughing
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Sat, 20 August 2005 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol freak your quite the negative , manifolds are only 700 for one of course , you ever been in a standard 3sgte convertd to a fwd celica / camry etc... 120fwkw give or take a little. so i dont know where you get ur 200kw from. im nearing that with alot more than standard ecu , cooling, fuel , the list goes on. yer a real monster *cough* , personaly id rather work with the 3.0, not that the 3sgte is a bad engine it is a good engine i have one. but the 3.0 set up right will move.

ecu wise buy a megasquirt cheap, the processor and options/addons are as good if not beter than most mid priced ecu's

as oldcorollas has said how hard is it to remove / put in an engine , surely he must know someone with a welder or some skills Razz

my whinge is over

[Updated on: Sat, 20 August 2005 08:16]

terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Sat, 20 August 2005 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can pull 200whp n/a out of the 3vz with ecu/head/cams/exhaust.

injectors are the first external to go, 240hp @ 100% dc is crap Very Happy

internally, the 3vz is very strong, headgasket and pistons go first, cranks beefy, rods look phatter then most forged aftermarket H -type ones.

i plan on going all motor at my current rate, with an aim of 170fwhp Smile

i don thave the time for the car to be off the road for a week, so ive found a spare 3vz-fe at the wreckers... now i need the money Razz

get a pp smt-6 ($320USD), its a 8 wire piggyback (6 if you dont steal the ecu's power and ground) and you dont have to custom anything to make it work, theres even an offical install/tune guide.
Rob.C
Regular

July 2005
Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Sat, 20 August 2005 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Now then. Thank you everybody who has offered their support.
This one's for you freak, i'm not going to insult you or anything else, but here is where i save money. If you can't pull out an engine and box, you don't have any business playing with a car. I'm doing all the work myself. The set up itself doesn't need to use custom manifolds, as my TAFE teacher used to tell us, 'think outside the box you live in'. To most people that means, think for yourself and the answer will come. You don't learn a bloody thing if you don't ask questions.

The set up runs FROM the standard manifolds, you only need to use the small length from the top of the engine pipe, to save money, it slips straight into the manifolds, easy. IC piping will be a bit of a pain, but i have 2 ways (i figure) terra said one, go from under the radiator, the second is to go down behind the head lights on each side, through the skirt and around to the front. I am a Panel Beater and i know how to weld. I will be tacking the pipes together and getting the exhaust shop to do the rest, so then i know it should handle the boost.
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Sat, 20 August 2005 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude, you never said you could do it "all" yourself, and you also mention not having any money. I sound negative (only ever so slightly... Rolling Eyes ) because i'm just trying to see how serious you are.

It's obvious you've got your heart set on doing it. Don't let us down, we all wanna see it done.

That's the last you'll hear from me on this matter, unless of course you say you're gonna put a T88 on it or something else equally ridiculous...
Rob.C
Regular

July 2005
Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Sat, 20 August 2005 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well Embarassed GUILTY. I should of said i can do these things, but you didn't ask Laughing .

Never mind, but don't think you need to shut up or anything. I see no harm in probing for info, to see how keen someone is.
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Sat, 20 August 2005 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's cool mate. Go Toyota, Oh what a feeling!
MX73_drifter
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Sun, 21 August 2005 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i want 2 see pics of this.
also toymods should make it a sticky. hehe
hope it all works out.
ahh yea also r u gonna go with twins or a single?
and what turbo r u gonna run?

Rob.C
Regular

July 2005
Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Sun, 21 August 2005 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
At this stage, it's all in the planning. I'm only going for a single turbo set up as there won't be enough room for 2, if i figure out a way to run 2, it could be a possiblility. If it's a twin set up i might only run 2 CT12 from a 1GGTE, or if it's only a single, i'll run a hi flow CT26 for a while and then go to a T3/T4 hybrid.

I'll be taking before, during and after pictures, and it will probably be put up in the Tech Docs section once it's completed. But i plan on keeping everyone updated from time to time.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Mon, 22 August 2005 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rob.C wrote on Mon, 22 August 2005 09:06

At this stage, it's all in the planning. I'm only going for a single turbo set up as there won't be enough room for 2, if i figure out a way to run 2, it could be a possiblility. If it's a twin set up i might only run 2 CT12 from a 1GGTE, or if it's only a single, i'll run a hi flow CT26 for a while and then go to a T3/T4 hybrid.

I'll be taking before, during and after pictures, and it will probably be put up in the Tech Docs section once it's completed. But i plan on keeping everyone updated from time to time.

I really like this turboed 6 idea bacause they are great engines, however if going twin then I certainly wouldn't use poxy ct-12s, or any other toyota OEM turbo. Something from the nissan stable (T25s etc) would be better simply due to the large range of upgrades and cheap parts.
Does the Camry have an LSD? My parent had one of the first widebody V6s (MZ engine) and it would torque steer like a bastard even in standard form.
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Mon, 22 August 2005 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can fit mr2/celica LSDs in the manual tranny (same box) but no lsd stock.
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: 3VZ-FE turbo ??? Mon, 22 August 2005 07:18 Go to previous message
I think a VLSD should have been a factory option. These cars could really do with one.

Definently get one if you're going to increase the horsepower. Just make sure it's a 1-way... Wink
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1G Rear Main Oil Seals Info Here.
Next Topic:i have a 89 corola seca and i want to supercharge it
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 16:09:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070290565490723 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.