Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Double clutching?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Double clutching? Tue, 16 August 2005 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also, you need to depress the clutch even just slightly while flat shifting so the EMS knows when to cut the ignition. (Talking street/drag applications here)
  Send a private message to this user    
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Double clutching? Tue, 16 August 2005 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 16 August 2005 16:18

the reason the guys in the v8's don't use the clutch is cos the hollinger gearboxes don't require it except on the longer shift ie 2-3, 5-6 etc though some still don't use it then really depends on the driver and how much he cares about the car/ his teams budget.
Ppl on the street will flat shift with the clutch cos they have some degree of mechanical sympathy i repeat some.

Thats what i thought, wouldnt a street car's gearbox die after one clutchless change?

86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Double clutching? Tue, 16 August 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Merudo wrote on Tue, 16 August 2005 16:18

WRONG

care to elaborate? Razz
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Double clutching? Tue, 16 August 2005 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
86DRFT wrote on Tue, 16 August 2005 17:21

Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 16 August 2005 16:18

the reason the guys in the v8's don't use the clutch is cos the hollinger gearboxes don't require it except on the longer shift ie 2-3, 5-6 etc though some still don't use it then really depends on the driver and how much he cares about the car/ his teams budget.
Ppl on the street will flat shift with the clutch cos they have some degree of mechanical sympathy i repeat some.

Thats what i thought, wouldnt a street car's gearbox die after one clutchless change?

No, the syncro will take a beating though (As will that other thingy... can't remember it's name).
It wont last long if you do it enough.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Double clutching? Tue, 16 August 2005 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can get away without a clutch on down shifts in a dogbox like the V8 supercars hollinger, but it will stuff the dogs.so the box would go back to peter to get the box fixed as soon as they got it back to the workshop.the lemans guy would have been using a hewland so you can do it aswell but it stuffs the dogs aswell.if you did with your road box what they did it wouldnt last very long at all. and to the guy who's mate did what he did to his girlfriends forrester, all i can say is what a dickhead.it may have seemed fine but he would have done it damage.it just like flogging the arse off someones hilux,the is no point,your not going to go fast so why the hell would you bother to flog it and cost them money down the track.
mick
mc68
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2005
Re: Double clutching? Tue, 16 August 2005 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
86DRFT wrote on Tue, 16 August 2005 15:37

WRONG

care to elaborate? Razz

dude, next time you drive, put both clutch and accelerator down to the floor whilst changing gears...garantee you its not a good idea...

and wtf...you aint noob...you're just taking the piss Very Happy

and generally, the dogs never last as long as synchro's (from a non 100% thrash, street driven perspective)

and dog box's snap selector forks like bread sticks Laughing
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Double clutching? Tue, 16 August 2005 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mc68 wrote on Wed, 17 August 2005 01:48

86DRFT wrote on Tue, 16 August 2005 15:37

WRONG

care to elaborate? Razz

dude, next time you drive, put both clutch and accelerator down to the floor whilst changing gears...garantee you its not a good idea...

Which to my understanding is why the EMS momentarily cuts the ignition when shifting in this way. Razz
mc68
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2005
Re: Double clutching? Tue, 16 August 2005 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i 'assumed' Razz that he didnt have a MoTeC...or a martini maranelli ignition Razz
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Double clutching? Tue, 16 August 2005 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have done it once or twice and i can shift at say 5krpm and have the next gear slotted and clutch out before the car hits the redline (5.8krpm). I don't really give a toss about the car though and wouldn't be doing it to a car worth $$$$.
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Double clutching? Tue, 16 August 2005 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its also a good trick to get the rear out on an underpowered poo box mobile. Very Happy
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Double clutching? Tue, 16 August 2005 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i only ever did it between third and fourth gear though. First to second is an awkard shift and so is two to three.
#Fiend#
Regular

July 2005
Re: Double clutching? Wed, 17 August 2005 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I told you there were people out there who think it's some kind of fully sick drag technique.

BTW I knew about the r31/VL both having rb30's, I didn't know that the R31 is 200kg heavier than a VL though, I would have thought they would be similar weights with the VL being the (slightly) heavier.

The real reason why he "won" the drag though (I have since found out from one of the passengers of the 31)was because the guy in the R31 backed off because of the corner coming up and the dude in the VL basically floored it off an embankment! Laughing

I will have to post pics of the corner where he went off so everyone can see how unbelievably stupid this guy must be.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Double clutching? Wed, 17 August 2005 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have to double clutch on upchanges from 3rd to 4th in my dad's WRX...

Gotta love extreme syncrho wear/failure.

You have to realise though that *every* time you crunch a gear on a synchro box you make baby jesus cry.
Siktoy ra23
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Double clutching? Fri, 19 August 2005 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The idea off double clutching is to allow the engine speed (rpm) to slow down(up shifting)or speed up (down shifting) to the same speed as the gear box to select the gear without any force

You CAN'T change gears in a syncromesh gear box while holding your foot flat on the accelerator without using the clutch other wise you will crunch gears BADLY that is why they invented syncros so hopeless drivers can still drive a manual car
I drive a truck with an 18 speed road ranger box in it and the only time that I use the clutch is when i take off ( so that's 17 gear changes without a clutch
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: Double clutching? Sat, 20 August 2005 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe.. I drove the work truck all day today with very little use of Mr. clutch. I must say, it is very satisfying just sliding it into gear, and downshifting without the clutch is an awesome feeling!

After I got out of the truck into my car, the habit remained...
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: Double clutching? Sat, 20 August 2005 08:59 Go to previous message
kingmick wrote on Tue, 16 August 2005 18:38

if you did with your road box what they did it wouldnt last very long at all. and to the guy who's mate did what he did to his girlfriends forrester, all i can say is what a dickhead.it may have seemed fine but he would have done it damage.it just like flogging the arse off someones hilux,the is no point,your not going to go fast so why the hell would you bother to flog it and cost them money down the track.
mick

Embarassed oops Embarassed bad exercise in adding another skill to my driving repetoire. Shall stop doing that promptly!! Confused
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:100kw seca vs sx St162 celica 103kw
Next Topic:Cheapest Toyota
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 15:11:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062670707702637 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.