Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Members Rides » My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Wed, 24 November 2004 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh, thats one way to put it!

It's a bit annoying, for that split second it feels so damn heavy.
  Send a private message to this user    
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Wed, 24 November 2004 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Wed, 24 November 2004 12:12

but I think I screwed up the alignment again Rolling Eyes Thats not mentioning the fact that the steering wheel is slightly rotated left while driving in a straight line Rolling Eyes

Unless you hit a kerb or something, driving normally with good suspension components won't cghange your alignment.

However, after fitting Low springs and removing/installing struts etc, you may have altered somthing inadvertantly.

By dropping the car as much as you have, the suspension geometry is completely changed (mostly for the better), but go somewhere like Stable Suspension and get them tio have a good look

Cheers

MB
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Wed, 24 November 2004 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Wed, 24 November 2004 09:20

Yeh, thats one way to put it!

It's a bit annoying, for that split second it feels so damn heavy.

Mine does that too!!

When you find out what it is (I have an overfull p/s resevior atm, could be that) tell me.

I need to fix it.

And no, its not normal.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Wed, 24 November 2004 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks bbaacchhyy.

I had this exact same problem before I got my new tyres, and wheel alignment.

Time to find the money and time to get a wheel alignment Wink
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Wed, 08 December 2004 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm probably gonna get R33 brakes on the front, pending some issues like needing new rims (gonna use my current tyres up first) and whether or not it's worth getting a multi-piece rotor... that way I could get away with only redrilling the hat once, and not every time I need new discs!

R33 brakes should probably do alright as far as stopping power goes... Smile

For the rear end, the brakes may as well stay stock with new pads, and maybe new discs. I think i'll look at getting the rear crossmember modified too, correcting that major rear camber can only be good. While i'm at it, I might look at getting some adjustable tops for the front, I mean, why not? Razz
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Wed, 08 December 2004 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How often do you honestly expect to change rotors?

I expect my new ones to outlast the car.

Does this mean you want a set of my adaptor bits?
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Wed, 08 December 2004 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Wed, 08 December 2004 15:57

and whether or not it's worth getting a multi-piece rotor... that way I could get away with only redrilling the hat once, and not every time I need new discs!

You obviously haven't quoted them then Rolling Eyes

Forget about the strut tops, go for the RA60 struts.

Heaps cheaper !!!
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Wed, 08 December 2004 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, I havent quoted them Razz

Cruzida, yeh, I will, but not just yet.

RA60 struts will work fine with MA61 springs right?
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Wed, 08 December 2004 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Wed, 08 December 2004 17:07

RA60 struts will work fine with MA61 springs right?

Yep. See my car !!!
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Thu, 09 December 2004 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll call you on a weekend that i'm free with the hope that you'll also have some spare time, that way I can see it how it is now!

Plus you can laugh at my rear camber Razz Embarassed
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Mon, 07 February 2005 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Need more power...

Every time I look in my engine bay, I see either a nice rather big (ie. well sized) turbo, or a 1UZ-FE Razz
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Mon, 07 February 2005 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How about you start with a Jaycar boost controller, unleash the inner tweaker.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Mon, 07 February 2005 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh, probably wise... along with CAI and better intercooler...

*looks at next pay*
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Mon, 21 February 2005 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MA61 LSD is sitting on a bench in my house now Smile

Brake upgrade coming this weekend (when I get my arse to ra65sleeka's place!)

Now, how about that engine... how about I pay someone to give it a headjob! haha
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Mon, 21 February 2005 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Tue, 22 February 2005 08:31

Now, how about that engine... how about I pay someone to give it a headjob! haha

?????
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Tue, 22 February 2005 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suspect valve stem seals...
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Tue, 22 February 2005 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is it still under warranty ?

If not, it should be a fairly easy job. Not cheap with 24 of the little sods to do !!!!

Allow about 4 hours.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Tue, 22 February 2005 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You reckon I could do it?

Do I need to take the head off?

Warrenty will see the car off the road for about 10 months while foursnmore get around to doing it. They may be good, but they take a while.

[Updated on: Tue, 22 February 2005 00:36]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Tue, 22 February 2005 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe just get them to pay for the parts under warranty but you change them?
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Tue, 22 February 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Tue, 22 February 2005 11:05

You reckon I could do it?

Do I need to take the head off?

Warrenty will see the car off the road for about 10 months while foursnmore get around to doing it. They may be good, but they take a while.

Maybe - depnds on what tools you have.

No.

If under Warranty, get them to do it.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Tue, 22 February 2005 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got lots of tools.

I doubt it's still under warrenty, from memory it wasn't a very long warrenty period.

I'm sure I have the tools - but it might be easier to take the head down to a workshop and get them to do it?
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Tue, 22 February 2005 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Tue, 22 February 2005 11:47

I'm sure I have the tools - but it might be easier to take the head down to a workshop and get them to do it?

Then you are up for a HG and other gaskets as well. Then again, with your new job, it should be easy to afford !!!
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Tue, 22 February 2005 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keep in mind i've now moved out of home, thus my money is reduced further!! haha

I can afford it all, just need to be sure it's what I need to do Smile
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Mon, 18 April 2005 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All fixed now with nice turbos (gen3 I guess) which have been rebuilt at some point! They are soooo much better than the old gen1 turbos that were on there Very Happy
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Mon, 18 April 2005 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So it wasn't the valve stem seals at all?
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Mon, 18 April 2005 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I never really knew for sure Smile Probably because it was up on jack stands before I really took the time to find out - plus everyone I talked to pointed at the valve stem seals. I would have found out it was the turbos anyway I guess, with the amount of oil/water mix oozing out of the from the exhaust side of the turbos!
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Sat, 30 April 2005 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did a bit of work today... tidied up the IEBC wiring a lot and put the solenoid on a relay for various reasons.

Also relocated my coil+ignitor to the other side. Reasons behind doing this are... it's fucking hard to find good quality leads that are around 70-80cm long Smile Now I have a shorter ignition cable from the coil to the dizzy, and long cables from the loom to the ignitor! It was easy to do, just popped down to jaycar, picked up some wire (6 different colours) and loom tube, snipped the existing connector off and soldered the correct length of wire inbetween (making sure I heatshrink of course). Once it was all back together and threaded through the loom tube, it worked perfectly fine. It is getting a bit more on the crowded side over the left side of the car (standing in front of car, facing engine bay). Had to rodate the AFM 90° in order for it to fit alright.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Fri, 20 May 2005 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A bit more done. The "hot" side of the intercooler pipework has been tied down - no more annoying noises from it rubbing... in fact no more rubbing! This wont matter as much soon (with big thanks to stradlater!!). I have a Garrett intercooler core (600x280x76 I believe) for which I will get custom end tanks made up. I will also mount it better than the current shitty cooler is mounted. Should prove to be a nice upgrade!

I also took a bit of time today cleaning up the wiring in the engine bay and working on a few wiring gremlins that i've ignored for too long. All of my wiring now goes through a loom tube which not only looks neat, keeps the wires where they should be. I have a mini fuse box that holds 4 blade fuses which I am now using where ever I need to. Once again looks very nice and accepts the female spade connectors.

I found some issues with the wiring of the Main relay which must have caught me out back when I did the wiring first. If I connected it up the right way the car would start and run ok, but it would then continue to run after turning off the ignition. The only way to kill the engine was to pull the EFI fuse Smile This didn't seem too practical so I went without cold start, and a few other things I imagine. Only after actually looking into the wiring itself did I discover that power was going the wrong place at the wrong time, and that there was no power making it to the ISCV after ignition was off - it's meant to get power for at least 2 seconds after ignition is turned off.

Now the car starts very well, idles at around 2000rpm while warming up and settles nicely. But I wish it stopped there. I have to choose what to do next - my alternator seems to be at the end of it's life now. It works OK at idle with the lights on, but the revs do drop. But any more load than that (ie. high beams) and the voltage drops by 1v. Continued load just makes things worse. I can only conclude that it's on it's last legs (yes, my grounds are GOOD!).

Now, I know someone might shout out "PICS!!!!" and I don't blame them. I will try to borrow a camera ASAP and hopefully satisfy that hunger Smile
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Fri, 20 May 2005 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yeh, the AFM is no longer rotated 90°. It doesn't have any markings on it to indicate what the screw should be set at but I think i've figured out a way to get a good idea. If i'm crusing along in say, 4th gear, and I floor it the car might hesitate. I played around with the AFM screw a bit (was incorrectly set beforehand) and by opening it a bit I was able to remove that hesitation (it was like someone feathering the throttle really smoothly - not something I wanted with the throttle wide open!). It probably isn't accurately set, but at least it's not affecting the cars drivability anymore.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Wed, 17 August 2005 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm been a while since I last updated this.

Went out for a drive to tune the IEBC properly for 15psi. I started by tuning it in 5th gear to stay at 15psi right until the speed limiter kicks in. I then tuned the high end (ie. just before rev cut) in 4th gear. Then I progressivly went down in gears, until I got to 2nd. Tuned 2nd to hold 15psi but then 4th and 5th would get boost spike bigtime. So I just tuned it so 4th and 5th are stable to redline. 2nd doesn't last all that long anyway so i dont mind not getting 15psi Razz

The result? A fairly responsive engine (as far as factory early 90's turbo engines go) which has plenty of power right through to redline and can hit the speed limiter in 4th before you know it. Oh, the intake noise sounds VERY cool, like a jet taking off! One thing that became pretty obvious was that I need to get my arse into gear on this intercooler. A great core, but no end tanks. With it installed i'd probably be making much happier power (and more of it!). Hoping to visit upullit this weekend too with the hope of grabbing a set of RA60 struts.

I got an aftermarket wheel the other week. I finally got sick of the huge standard wheel. Took me AGES to hunt down a boss kit in Adelaide that was actually in stock (I dont like waiting around, or paying stupid amounts for a momo item). Ended up with a SAAS boss kit that seems to be multifit for different wheel brands. Which brings me to my next point, the wheel! It's just a rather nice looking Autotechnica wheel. Very plain, which I wanted. It does the job perfectly. I think it's around the 13" mark, and it has made the world of difference to how my car feels. I feel much more in control of the car, and it feels "easier" to drive. It also convinced me that I need a tad more negative camber up front to combat the understeer on some corners (and less on the back!).

On the way home from my little tuning session I came down from mount lofty via greenhill road. Anyone in Adelaide would know that this is a fun little run which has a fair amount of hard braking. My car currently has standard nearly worn out discs, and benedix 4wd pads (they were the only things that would fit the GA61 calipers!!). When I reached the bottom of the run I stood on the brakes to come to a complete stop (I don't usually, since I know it could warp the discs) and quickly jumped out. Brakes were glowing a dull red. I must say thats the first time i've seen them glow. Then again, i'm not hard on brakes! I think the extra power has really put a strain on my brakes. I'll worry about getting new brake bits soon, very soon.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Wed, 17 August 2005 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good to hear that it is running well.

Must catch up again one day so I can have a gander and get takebn for a ride !!!

Cheers

Michael B
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Thu, 18 August 2005 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, sure will!

If I can source a spare rear crossmember, then I could bring that around for the rear camber mod stuff, and still take you for a drive in it. I think I might just remove my current one anyway and while it is being modded i'll just get the LSD installed.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Thu, 18 August 2005 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds awesome mate! Good to hear you got the IEBC working nice. How big a spike were we talking? I'm not really keen to be excessively speeding to test this thing in 4th. Did you hit the boost cut/max out the AFM?

I'm not overly concerned about a little spike for the dyno day providing it doesn't shut down on me and I can't get a clean pull done.

Get that core going!
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Thu, 18 August 2005 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah I didn't hit the boost cut, the duty cycle would have been getting to around 90% I think. Not too bad.

It doesn't spike much, maybe a few psi, personally I don't think it'll matter that much as it's a rare situation. I usually have my car in 3rd or 4th gear when i'm driving in the hills, the other gears are just there for the odd occasion where I encounter a very tight hairpin or a tight 25km/h posted corner. 5th is for cruising above 80km/h imho Razz
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Thu, 18 August 2005 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 10:37

Get that core going!

Gonna design the end tanks today I think. Just trying to find some cardboard to help make a template up. Then it's just a matter of finding some good aluminium sheeting, cutting it up and bending it if I have to, then taking it to be welded together.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Thu, 18 August 2005 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds good then. My car is going to be done in 2nd gear as I'm not too keen on drawing even more attention to the unlicenced car, temporary permit or not Razz If she spikes, ah well Smile
Spence
Regular

January 2005
Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Thu, 18 August 2005 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey
sweet car! those autotechnica steering wheels are pretty good and well priced, i've got one on my car aswell.

speaking of the greenhill rd run its one of the best hills roads in adel i think. next time you go up there let us know and i'll come have a look cause its not far from my house. i'll pm you my mobile number.
Spence
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Thu, 18 August 2005 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Spence, sounds like a plan!

Greenhill is a bit of a classic to me now. A nice road to drive on late at night (read: 2am onwards) when it's dry. Gorge road is my testing grounds these days. It's got so much variety and some almost scary corners. There are so many more out there too, it'd take me ages to list them all.

A 10ohm resistor on my IEBC decided to go POP today after I wired up the high/low switch. I suspect ether a stray nugget of solder or one of the wires leading to the switch was pinched (they have 5V coming from the regulator on them) and grounded, killing the resistor.

Fried it nice and good too, well, charred it completely. Should be easy to fix I hope.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Fri, 19 August 2005 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How the FUCK did you tune that IEBC by yourself? Dear god, it happens mucho fast, I had no chance of doing it myself!
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Fri, 19 August 2005 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All those years of playing first person shooters seem to have made my reaction times pretty damn ok. The tuning is more an approximation than a fine art anyway, you'll find the resulting pressure will vary with different air density (due to the air bleed after the solenoid).
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Fri, 19 August 2005 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha, my reaction times ain't that bad Razz I'd say it's more I was a little dumbfounded at how much quicker the damn thing came on boost and trying to keep it under 100kpa (which I *almost* did) Wink
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Fri, 19 August 2005 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Woo 5th page.

Yeh first time we played with it, I had a mate driving and I was tuning. When I shout "stop" or similar I kinda expected him to let off the throttle... he didn't. Screamed right past 15psi! Mind you this was also on the old turbos, which spooled up slower. Now I have it happily on 15psi (max of my gauge.)
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Fri, 19 August 2005 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It screamed past 100kpa the first time. The turbos must've had a LOT of wastegate creep. Before it'd start pulling and then all of a sudden it'd jump up to 7psi. Now it comes on a LOT more linear. We shall have it tuned tonight, I'll try and get the tuning done in 2nd, then do some runs in 3rd to take some of the edge off the boost spike.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Fri, 19 August 2005 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, and I fried a 10 ohm resistor too Razz Black as, but still functioning perfectly well Razz
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Fri, 19 August 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You cleand up your wastegates heaps right? That'd help the creep i'd imagine since it's easier to move.

Only the high setting on my boost controller is working now, the low setting still works ok when there is no load at all ie. load point 1, but anything above that and the screen goes crazy. Gonna check it over later.

I replaced the resistor with a 1/2 watt one (originally a 1/4 watt one.)
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Sun, 21 August 2005 05:50 Go to previous message
Scored a pair of RA60 struts today... now I have to install them Smile
Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3SGTE Powered Sprinter Nearly ready for action take2
Next Topic:Me and my Mark Three
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 05:19:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.011399030685425 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.