Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Cannon????

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
trdcmy
Regular

July 2005
Cannon???? Thu, 18 August 2005 02:34 Go to next message
i have recently purchased a 3A racing performance muffler, besides the cost it is o.k. $190 wasn't what i had in mind for a muffler but this one is 100% stainless steel so i am for sure it wont rust or anything. i want to fit it on my rolla, the muffler is a 3 1/2 cannon will i loose any power by putting such a big muffler on my small AE82????

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/883/63051514uq.jpg
  Send a private message to this user    
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Cannon???? Thu, 18 August 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you have a 4ac - the impovments if any will be in the drone department it will be louder - youll probabaly find new and interesting vibrations in your car , and you MAY have issues coming out of driveways of you hang it too low

I got a similar one for my dad on his 5me supra ( he wanted it for fathers day! )- noticed bugger all bar the noise ..

Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Cannon???? Thu, 18 August 2005 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 12:40

if you have a 4ac - the impovments if any will be in the drone department it will be louder - youll probabaly find new and interesting vibrations in your car , and you MAY have issues coming out of driveways of you hang it too low

I got a similar one for my dad on his 5me supra ( he wanted it for fathers day! )- noticed bugger all bar the noise ..

Interesting. How did it sound on the 5M-E?

Always wondered what my old cressida would sound like with a milo can on it Wink
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Cannon???? Thu, 18 August 2005 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Merudo wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 13:09

Interesting. How did it sound on the 5M-E?

Always wondered what my old cressida would sound like with a milo can on it Wink

like fartin thru a maccas straw. Laughing
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Cannon???? Thu, 18 August 2005 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So in other words, an improvement? Wink

I liked the cress dont get me wrong, just didnt like its zorst note Laughing

but still

the 5M-E can nevah lose
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: Cannon???? Thu, 18 August 2005 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
up at schoolies we saw a rusted bomb 83 mitsubishi colt with a cannon on it. Confused
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Cannon???? Thu, 18 August 2005 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not only would you probably find it be loud and drone, at higher revs will probably have that horrid raspy fart noise na cars get when you put on a massive straight through type muffler.
but to help solve that a nice luckey/walker resonator before the muffler would/should lower the tone (cut out the high frequency fart sound) and help quieten it.
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: Cannon???? Thu, 18 August 2005 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or get some bigger piping...2" - 2 1/4" then you might notice a tiny bit of a perfomance gain
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: Cannon???? Thu, 18 August 2005 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3A racing mufflers sound horrible -- shouvle got yaself a used HKS/Apexi or something more well known. Smile
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Cannon???? Thu, 18 August 2005 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cannons are for guys who have little downstairs.....

and upstairs Rolling Eyes
trdcmy
Regular

July 2005
Re: Cannon???? Thu, 18 August 2005 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey don't be jelous just because you can't afford to buy a cannon so don't start on me i asked for help not for people to discriminate me!!!
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Cannon???? Thu, 18 August 2005 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pfft cannons are cheap as piss. A quality muffler will cost more than a quality cannon!

Oops, I used the word "quality" and "cannon" next to each other!

[Updated on: Thu, 18 August 2005 05:52]

Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Cannon???? Thu, 18 August 2005 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ViPeR_NiPPleX wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 15:43

Haha, well put.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Cannon???? Thu, 18 August 2005 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 16:28

ViPeR_NiPPleX wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 15:43

Haha, well put.

why dont you guy's post up pics of your system then?
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: Cannon???? Thu, 18 August 2005 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im currently bidding for a BLITZ muffler on ebay -- hope i win it Razz

http://iow.free.fr/apollo/images/dtexhaust/102_0001.jpg

http://iow.free.fr/apollo/images/dtexhaust/102_0002.jpg
The Count
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Cannon???? Thu, 18 August 2005 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha
who ever told u stainless wont rust is full of shit

i work as an Engineer on matalic products

the only stainless that wont ever rust is Marine Grade 316+ & uts fukken expensive

cannons ussually come in 302-304 stainless somtimes less

they will rust just not as soon as mild steel will

havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: Cannon???? Thu, 18 August 2005 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont have a cannon on my celica...and i think it sounds rad, all did was take back muffler out and it has a really high pitched growl at like 4000 - 5000 revs and sounds rad.

cannons really dont do much for performance
mideon_696
Regular

October 2004
Re: Cannon???? Thu, 18 August 2005 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i hear that they do sweet fuck all on lil NA motors, my rolla sounds fuckin awesome all through the revs range, it looks exactly like the one above, fuck the cannons, u wanna fart, buy a cannon, u wanna gain, get what we have...
trdcmy
Regular

July 2005
Re: Cannon???? Thu, 18 August 2005 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from my opinion i didn't buy the cannon for performance, I bought for sound and looks, i personally think that cannons look alot better than changing your tip if i was to change the tip the only tip i would change to is a dumpy.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Cannon???? Thu, 18 August 2005 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if it's what you want.. do it.. you won't have any actual performance loss... maybe a fractional gain if the old one was more restrictive than the rest of the system....

sad to see so many misinformed comments tho...
customSA63
Regular

February 2005
    NA
Re: Cannon???? Thu, 18 August 2005 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my 18RG has a 3A racing muffler with the ovan shapped box so it doesnt really look like a cannonball with 2and 1/2 inch pacemakers and 2 and 1/4 inch piping with a small resinator and my car sounds crazy good i rev next to a clubsport and their penises shrink up inside them there egos are so hurt Laughing .
so whats all this shit talking about them being crap honestly i went from a super turbo box from exhaust technology that was like $450 bucks that sounded ok but this sounds better i think and looks better too.

allthough i must admit cannonball mufflers look shit on almost every car i see them on. Laughing

cheers
matt
Smile
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Cannon???? Thu, 18 August 2005 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

if it's what you want.. do it

egfuggenzactly! Make your car look however you like, who gives a shit what some people on a forums opinion is about looks and aesthetic appeal.

Quote:

sad to see so many misinformed comments tho...

ahuh. I like this one:

Quote:

fuck the cannons, u wanna fart, buy a cannon, u wanna gain, get what we have...

there were some pretty angry/mean sounding cars at the track last time I went and oh my fuggen god some even had cannon style mufflers Shocked Laughing

Quote:

You wanna gain get what we have
pfff Laughing Laughing gain ~2kw at the wheels at peak power (based on your average 7AFE muffler upgrade) Laughing

Quote:

cannons really dont do much for performance

I like that comment too, very informative Rolling Eyes a very vague and unfounded statement.

Quote:

my rolla sounds fuckin awesome all through the revs range

I think you will find that comment debateable, the aural pleasure of a car on song to one person may be an ear bleeding buzz to another person.

In summary Rolling Eyes Confused be happy with your dull/shiny/dented/straight through/cannon/budget muffler and its roar/buzz/tinny rasp/didgeridoo hum/fart in a can/bee in a milo tin sounding muffler Cool

[Updated on: Thu, 18 August 2005 11:51]

c2888
Regular

May 2002

Re: Cannon???? Thu, 18 August 2005 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
like nike says, just do it

then 30mins later the fun of being heard will wear off, and it'll be not so great. But if its something you must do, then do it. Don't let a bunch of people on a forum rob you of your fun and good times.

dan

p.s. cops like to pull over LOUD cars. so be discreet in your fun having ways Very Happy
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Cannon???? Thu, 18 August 2005 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.abbeysound.com.au/jnicol/zorstbro.jpg

And thats how it sounds....
http://www.abbeysound.com.au/jnicol/ma61.wma
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Cannon???? Thu, 18 August 2005 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds cool dude.. Wink
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Cannon???? Thu, 18 August 2005 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.users.on.net/~hydra/celixx/pipe/gtepipe07.jpg

Single Lukey muffler = win

Sounds lovely, not too loud either. Straight 6 + turbo = good sounds!
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Cannon???? Thu, 18 August 2005 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes, Lukey are my favourite. Smile i have a 3" stainless Ultraflo on the feral and last week i got a nice 2" stainless Ultraflo for the feroza's system i need to build for the turbo conversion. though i will probably include a Lukey 2" resonator (hot dog) in that system just help to keep it deep toned and quiet.
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Cannon???? Sun, 21 August 2005 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a muffler isnt going to radically change an exhaust system, its only a section of it. and when you have real power a suitably designed complete exhaust system may make a decent difference, just ask the rotary boys Wink

you can fart as loud as you like and go just as fast as you were...

and honestly a constantly loud exhaust gets to you after a while, its just not so appealling.

[Updated on: Sun, 21 August 2005 13:05]

havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: Cannon???? Mon, 22 August 2005 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is a little off topic but does a straight through exahuast like no res/cat/muffler sorta thing perform better then one with these sort of restrictions?

i just remember hearing something about back pressure is good or something, also got told that mufflers hhelp with fuel economy due to this back pressure stuff??

it is most likely a complete load of.......
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: Cannon???? Mon, 22 August 2005 03:43 Go to previous message
n/a cars rely on the proper amoun tof backpressure to run good, which is why designed extractors isnt easy Very Happy

fo a turbo more flow - better.

google.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Car still smokes (1JZGTE Oil)
Next Topic:RA28 Ignition barrel switch
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 21:36:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060279369354248 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.