Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » GT4 ST185 Clutch And Timing belt problem should i fix

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
gimpacause
Newcomer

August 2005
GT4 ST185 Clutch And Timing belt problem should i fix Wed, 17 August 2005 14:38 Go to next message
hi all this is my first post on this forum.
i have a problem with my 1990 ST185 Celica GT-FOUR

i have destroyed the clutch and the timing belt tensioner has got kaput

should i fix it that is the question i am asking how much would this kind of work cost and whats involved also the car has been sitting in my shed for about 16 months it has NO RWC or REG

also i have heard that you can only use the factory clutch in these car's as the "throw out" is different in the after market clutches

a brief history of this car is detailed below as i have had several problems with it

i bought the car in April of last year the owner i bought it off told me it had a heavy duty clutch and a AVO boost controller fitted @ the time the price he was asking seemed reasonable.
about a week after i bought the car the boost controller failed and caused the car to start over boosting so the computer would lean out and fuel cut would come in after about 2 weeks of driving i noticed the clutch was starting to wear out so i stopped driving it everyday then a month after that boom i was taking it around the block and then it just stopped, water and oil was everywhere, since then the car has been sitting in my garage under a tarp we know for sure the timing belt tensioner has gone but buy what I've been told the work involved to fix this and the clutch is an engine out job.

IF i fix the car i would like to performance rebuild it so the question i ask is what ECU, PISTONS,EXHAUST (EXTRACTOR'S) BLOCK/HEAD,CAM work would you get done
so is a ST185 worth puring money into (I've been told about ($10,000AUD) to fully strip the motor and put aftermarket everything in (a mate is going to do most of the work)

also if i wanted to sell it as is what would something like this be worth i've been thinking of selling it as is for $5000-$6000 AUD is this asking to much

sorry about the long post i just needed to get this off my chest as it's been bothering me for quite some time as I'm 22 and this is my first car (that I've invested lots of money and time in) and i don't wanna let it go or see it go down the toilet

thanking you
gimpcause
  Send a private message to this user    
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 ST185 Clutch And Timing belt problem should i fix Thu, 18 August 2005 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds very fasmiliar to my dramas mate ..

I chose the " pour money into " option , and bar from one little hiccup of late - my Gt4 is a beautiful monster to drive ..

if you love the car - put money into it - have fun in it

if you cant afford it - then you might want to sell it off for parts or a project ..

Youll easily chew thru 10 grand if you have someone professionally do the work for you , but if its a qualified mate - then you might get away with less

Re the clutch , theres plenty of aftermarket kits available for them - my ceramic single plated clutch cost around the 500 dollar mark and its holding 230 KW off the engine/170 awkw with no slippage at all . When you start looking at twin plates - you start adding up dollars quickly
esk34
Regular

February 2005
Re: GT4 ST185 Clutch And Timing belt problem should i fix Thu, 18 August 2005 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What type of condition is the body in? If the body and paint are good then 5-6 grand is pretty good really. I have been looking at a st185 with 175 000 km's on it with, bald tyres and bad paint. (needs a respray), Needs new vavle stem seals, but otherwise in pretty good nick, and it is going for 6 grand. I hope that gives you an idea of what yours is worth.
I know you can get an TRD clutch, but that costs big money, over a grand I think.
sikx5
Regular

September 2004
Re: GT4 ST185 Clutch And Timing belt problem should i fix Thu, 18 August 2005 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well dude,
I can say it is very worth the rebuild/wait. Dont loose hope in her yet, there is much potential under that bonnet. Wink

For a clutch, you need to get in contact with Direct clutches up here in Brisbane, Justen and many others swear by them. Very Happy
zasa
Regular

October 2004

Re: GT4 ST185 Clutch And Timing belt problem should i fix Fri, 19 August 2005 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I second that clutch (never slipped)

[Updated on: Fri, 19 August 2005 02:17]

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 ST185 Clutch And Timing belt problem should i fix Fri, 19 August 2005 02:31 Go to previous message
Yes twin plate clutches = $$$
Around $2000 depending on what you get.
But the bonus is that you get a chromoly flywheel and pressure plate with it Very Happy
And they are completely rebuildable.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Intercooler end tank design
Next Topic:Carbie problem?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 08:26:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0037391185760498 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.