Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Intercooler end tank design Thu, 18 August 2005 14:45 Go to next message
Hi all,

Got a quick question, I searched but didn't find an answer.

How thick should the aluminium for an intercooler end tank be? I am designing the end tanks for my garrett core. It seems to have 2-3mm thick aluminium on it, would it be best to stick to this thickness?

Also, since I am designing and doing everything bar welding the tanks up, would It be worth making some sort of deflector to help distribute the air more evenly over the core? I have a feeling it may not be worth it in my case, the intake side of the core will be coming from the bottom of the end tank, which I guess would mean it'll spread across the core more evenly.

With all those cheap intercoolers out there now, I am ever so tempted to scrap the idea of making mine up and just buy one of those. I've seen them as cheap as $280 or so!! Spent $150 on this core, haven't bought materials or paid a welder yet. $130 more would see me with an already fabricated core with mounting hardware.
  Send a private message to this user    
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Intercooler end tank design Thu, 18 August 2005 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
those cheaper coolers are down to 150 delivered right now
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Intercooler end tank design Thu, 18 August 2005 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked Shocked Shocked

Dang... that makes me feel tempted. I'm sure a garrett core would sell for lots on ebay! Laughing
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Intercooler end tank design Thu, 18 August 2005 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2 - 3 mm is a good idea.

Don't worry about deflectors as you have summarised. Avoid sharp bends if possible, and yes, depending on how much work it is to fit in (plumbing and brackets), the cheap "hybrid" or other brand coolers will work pretty well for what they cost.

Cheers

Michael B
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Intercooler end tank design Thu, 18 August 2005 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll persist with the garrett core... it's better to say you have a garrett core than a "cheap hybrid copy"! Smile

I can imagine i'd be spending at least another $150 on plumbing with a hybrid copy. The major expense would be the 2" to 3" adaptors. And anyway, creating my own end tanks means everything will fit correctly.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Intercooler end tank design Fri, 19 August 2005 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Fri, 19 August 2005 07:51

The major expense would be the 2" to 3" adaptors. And anyway, creating my own end tanks means everything will fit correctly.

Yes, who's STUPID idea that was I don't know.
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: Intercooler end tank design Fri, 19 August 2005 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a garret core on the crown, and it is vastly superior to virtually anything else I've seen so far. The temp drop is awesome.

Sticking with your garret core will be worth the results.

And yep-3mm will be fine.

Sean

PS-Bremen Welding near Parafield airport does awesome aluminium welding-Probaly the best in SA-and great prices. Ask for Dave, and tell him Sean with the Crown sent you.

[Updated on: Fri, 19 August 2005 00:11]

rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler end tank design Fri, 19 August 2005 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check this article out, should have some great tips for you in it.

http://www.are.com.au/techtalk/intecoolersMR.htm

HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Intercooler end tank design Fri, 19 August 2005 02:33 Go to previous message
JCMF - Some retard who thought 3" intercooler pipes are fully sik mayte!!

MS-75 - Sounds like a plan. I'll have to go and buy some 3mm aluminium sheet next week, along with a bit of 2" aluminium tubing... I used to have some, but I might not have it now Sad I really hope I do still have it because it'd make life so much easier.

rob - Thanks for the link! That's some good reading. I think i'll stick with my current design idea which should hopefully do the job well.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:WILL 7MGE FLYWHEEL FIT A 1G-GTE ENGINE - manual conversion in progress
Next Topic:GT4 ST185 Clutch And Timing belt problem should i fix
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:30:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0041821002960205 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.