Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Urgent wheel spacer questions !!!!!!!!!!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ST184R
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Urgent wheel spacer questions !!!!!!!!!!! Tue, 16 August 2005 09:09 Go to next message
how do wheel spacers work ?
coz my 90' celica has stud pattern 5x100 and the wheel with this pattern is very rare, does wheel spacer help in my case?
like converting 5x114.3 or 4x100 to 5x100, does it work ?
thanks for u guys' help
  Send a private message to this user    
DRFT - 86
Regular

February 2005
Re: Urgent wheel spacer questions !!!!!!!!!!! Tue, 16 August 2005 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes dont stress man... u can get wheel spacers that convert to another stud pattern....they bolt onto the existing studs and have new studs in the required pattern on them.... hope that helps... -- these are illegal for street use though -- 'just a warning'
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Urgent wheel spacer questions !!!!!!!!!!! Tue, 16 August 2005 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
5x100 rare ??? i never had any issues getting wheels for my celica. infact there was pretty much nothing i couldnt get... find a better wheel shop Smile
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: Urgent wheel spacer questions !!!!!!!!!!! Tue, 16 August 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Think WRX rims... bling blang. Get it!?!
ST184R
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: Urgent wheel spacer questions !!!!!!!!!!! Tue, 16 August 2005 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i can feel there are fewer choice for me to choose, i went to BOB JANE, they said they've got only 1 available rim which suits my car. also as i know, just celica and subaru uses 5x100 pattern, that's why they are not as popular. I'm now trying to find 2nd hands, but most of them are 4 stud or 5x114.3, that's the reason i ask for help for the wheel spacers here.

But is that really illegal to use wheel spacers ? why ?

anyway, where can i get these spacers?
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Urgent wheel spacer questions !!!!!!!!!!! Tue, 16 August 2005 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just get some spacer plates,if you cant find them on the shelf wont cost more than $100 or so to get them made up out of steel or alloy! alloy is fine.
mick
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Urgent wheel spacer questions !!!!!!!!!!! Tue, 16 August 2005 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forget the spacer idea.. illegal, dangerous, void insurance etc etc..

if your tyre shop is telling you they cant get anything go somewhere else as there isnt that muhc grief getting them..

keep in mind quite a number of NEW euro stuff is using 5x100 ~+38 Audi,VW,Alfa all use it on a few models iirc.

so again find a tyre shop that knows a little more then just chorme, commodores and lancers
ST184R
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: Urgent wheel spacer questions !!!!!!!!!!! Tue, 16 August 2005 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh really ? not just illegal? will void insurance as well ?
ok, i may have to give up this idea. but may i know why it's illegal? and why will that void insurance ?
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Urgent wheel spacer questions !!!!!!!!!!! Tue, 16 August 2005 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it is illegal as it effects the strength of the connection between the wheel and the hub. additionally it put excess stress onto the wheel studs/bearings.

and it will void your insurance due to the bit in your insurance policy that says "vehicle must be ROADWORTHY" or something to that effect... hence modifiying it into a non-roadworthy state will be the first thing they check up and will use to skip out on a payment.. not realy good if you belt into somehting expensive... and given you are putting it on a st184 there are *lots* of things more expensive out there Razz
ST184R
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: Urgent wheel spacer questions !!!!!!!!!!! Tue, 16 August 2005 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
got it , thx very much for ur detailed explanation

i think seeking a set of 5x100 rims really take time
perhaps the thing i can do now is just WAIT !!! Rolling Eyes
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: Urgent wheel spacer questions !!!!!!!!!!! Tue, 16 August 2005 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tempetyres has an ass load of 5x100 wheels

all small toyotas with 5 studs run 5x100 lol
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Urgent wheel spacer questions !!!!!!!!!!! Tue, 16 August 2005 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just about any wheel aimed at the euro market comes in 5x100 as like i said quite a number of them come in it now...

not *that* many toyotas are using it now.. celicas from st16x->zzt231's are using 5x100, sv21 camry's use it but i didnt think any other toyota were ? i could be wrong.

just find yourself a better wheel shop with someone a hint for knowledgable.

i never had any trouble or limitations as far as choice for wheels for my st184.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Urgent wheel spacer questions !!!!!!!!!!! Wed, 17 August 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not all spacers are dodgy / unsafe... the main reasons "most" spacers are dodgy are:
1) Not hubcentric. i.e. they don't sit on the hubcentric ring on your hubs and don't have a hubcentric ring of their own to mount your wheels hubcentricly. This will place extra load on your studs and wheel bearings.
2) Require either longer wheel studs or will not use as much of the thread on the OE studs. Obviously this creates a weak point because it places extra load on the studs.
3) Are created from soft metal which crushes when the bolts are tightened.

H&R have Trak+ track adjusters with all the required features to keep your vehicle safe.
http://www.hrsprings.com/site/products/trak.html
ke55coupe
Newcomer

July 2005

icon5.gif  Re: Urgent wheel spacer questions !!!!!!!!!!! Wed, 17 August 2005 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but is true all spaces no matte what unless fitted to your vehicle are illeagle if the ones you have suggested if they are not do you know of who imports them because i want a set for my corolla
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Urgent wheel spacer questions !!!!!!!!!!! Thu, 18 August 2005 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think anything you do to your vehicle is illegal unless it doesn't comply with one of the ADR's.

It is one of those stupid RTA modification guides that says spacers are illegal and we all know how dumb most of the technical people in the RTA are!

If you talk to an engineer I'm sure he could tell you which ADR's are applicable to spacers and what if anything you can do to stay legal.

PS the H&R site has a list of distributors on it somewhere
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Urgent wheel spacer questions !!!!!!!!!!! Thu, 18 August 2005 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think anything you do to your vehicle is illegal unless it doesn't comply with one of the ADR's.

It is one of those stupid RTA modification guides that says spacers are illegal and we all know how dumb most of the technical people in the RTA are!

If you talk to an engineer I'm sure he could tell you which ADR's are applicable to spacers and what if anything you can do to stay legal.

PS the H&R site has a list of distributors on it somewhere
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Urgent wheel spacer questions !!!!!!!!!!! Thu, 18 August 2005 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just buy some secondhand wheels in the correct pcd/offset/size from yahoo japan through somehwere like slidewizeimports.com (highly recommended).
ke55coupe
Newcomer

July 2005

icon14.gif  Re: Urgent wheel spacer questions !!!!!!!!!!! Thu, 18 August 2005 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks heaps i went to there site and e-mailed them but apparently no aussie importer that they know of or how to install them legaly here but all good may have to buy another set of wheels fom dragway at least they will fit because the one i bought from bob jane certainly dont
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Urgent wheel spacer questions !!!!!!!!!!! Sun, 21 August 2005 12:53 Go to previous message
adr - australian design rules, modifications to your car can be beyond the design of the modification or not even a design as such and not covered by adr. check code of practice for light motor vehicles or equivalent.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:gze tacho/SC light prob
Next Topic:4AGZE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 00:21:39 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054919719696045 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.