Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Sealing Bog from Cracking in the future ????

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Kravit
Regular

March 2005

Sealing Bog from Cracking in the future ???? Thu, 18 August 2005 12:52 Go to next message
Hey guys, I have done some repairs with bog on a car and i was wondering what are some ways i can help keep it from cracking in future ?
I have done alot of coats of primer on it already to seal surface realy well.
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Sealing Bog from Cracking in the future ???? Thu, 18 August 2005 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Best way to prevent moisture is to sandwich it between coats of POR15 paint. It completely seals it off.

As you've already primed it, your best bet is to get it painted. Primer won't provide moisture protection as it's quite porous Smile
Kravit
Regular

March 2005

Re: Sealing Bog from Cracking in the future ???? Thu, 18 August 2005 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is there any reason why cant spray por 15 on the primer and recoat it ?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Sealing Bog from Cracking in the future ???? Fri, 19 August 2005 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not really I suppose, it should still seal everything in as it cures, only one way to find out Razz
mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Sealing Bog from Cracking in the future ???? Fri, 19 August 2005 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
take it out and start over. justcallmefrank's method sounded good, and paint as soon as possible. i know you're probably not going to want to do it, but i personally would rather spend the time fixing it now, before it's all been sprayed.

chris
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sealing Bog from Cracking in the future ???? Fri, 19 August 2005 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kravit wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 22:22

Hey guys, I have done some repairs with bog on a car and i was wondering what are some ways i can help keep it from cracking in future ?
I have done alot of coats of primer on it already to seal surface realy well.

Bog once set doesn't really move/flex, unlike the steel surrounding it, which has a bit of flexibility. Although your paint film may be flexible it may not have the elongation/crack bridging you require if the steel moves/expands/contracts around the bog.
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sealing Bog from Cracking in the future ???? Fri, 19 August 2005 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reshape the metal first, then bog, with a maximum of 2mm thickness, any thicker, and there is no way the bog will stay stable, and not crack.

Use a microfine 2 part filler, and attach to the bare metal, which has been roughened with 60 grit, this provides a "key", so the bog does not fall out.

Por15 coat/prime, then paint as normal.

If it has been sitting with just primer on it for a while, start again, as there will be entrapped moisture in your primer. Primer is not just porous, but hydroscopic, ie. it will draw moisture into it from the air!!!

cheers Chuck.
Kravit
Regular

March 2005

Re: Sealing Bog from Cracking in the future ???? Fri, 19 August 2005 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wouldnt any amount of bog crack then, because surface undeneath will move ? what about having it around areas of the car that dont sway much like the roof ??

I've also seen whole side panels boged up, huge dents in side of car filled with bog and these guys are pros aswe;;, wouldnt this just crack after few drives ???

[Updated on: Fri, 19 August 2005 13:26]

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Sealing Bog from Cracking in the future ???? Fri, 19 August 2005 13:40 Go to previous message
i've bogged up plenty of panels over the years with the different cars i've owned. shite my old statesman i reshaped the whole rear quarter with bog (deffinatly thicker than 2mm). after ~2 years it still hadnt cracked or anything, and last time i saw it after i had sold it the panel was still fine.

all i've ever done was hit the metal with the grinder to give the bog a rough surface to adhere to, bog, sand, prime and paint. works for me anyways. Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Jaycar IEBC and Autronic solenoid
Next Topic:13b turbo in TA22??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 13:07:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.14660596847534 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.