Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Problem with my 4A-C .. any ideas?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Phat535
Occasional Poster

January 2004
icon5.gif  Problem with my 4A-C .. any ideas? Sun, 07 August 2005 00:12 Go to next message
guys last weekend I was driving along and my car spluttered a few times and started to loose power then just died, I rolled off the side of the road and all I could smell was fuel. Took the air filter off and had a look down the carby, it was almost full to the top with fuel. The car was winding over like it had no compression at all so I just got it towed home till I had more time to look at it.

Yesterday I've finally got around to taking a look. First thing I checked was timing belt which is fine. Did a compression test and it came up zero on all 4 cylinders, needle didnt even move. Tested the guage on another car to make sure it was working correctly and then tried again. Again a big zero on the first three and this time about 5psi on number 4. Have taken the rocker cover off to check valve operation which seems to be fine, gave the top of each valve/spring a small tap to make sure they were seating. Then squirted a bit of oil into each cylinder and did a wet test....still zero compression accross the board

I'm pretty sure the fuel problem was just a stuck needle and seat, I've got a spare carby here I'll just throw on anyway cause I've never been able to get this carby to run right. But the compression problem has me confused. My boss was of the opinion all the fuel has washed the bores, and that if I just put oil down the spark plug holes and wind it over by hand for a while it should regain compression, but have wound it over by hand for about 15 minutes with oil in the cylinder then tried another compression test and it still came up zero.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

thanks
Dave Confused
  Send a private message to this user    
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Problem with my 4A-C .. any ideas? Sun, 07 August 2005 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The only plausable explanation is that your cam timing it out something severe... like 180 degrees, but I'd be fucked as to know how that could happen while driving or over night...

Unless someone secretly bored out your cylinders while you were sleeping and didn't get time to fit the bigger pistons...
Phat535
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: Problem with my 4A-C .. any ideas? Sun, 07 August 2005 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I currently live on a fairly busy street and it is sometimes hard to listen for small noises when it's busy. Today I had a bit more of a play and I've found why it has no compression, it's all coming straight back out the carby. Turning it over with the spark plugs is you can hear the air puffing out like when you have no plugs in, I've now realised you can hear it coming back out through the carby. Put your hand over the carby and you can clearly feel it.....anyone got any thoughts? I dont see how it could have taken the tops off all 4 inlet valves at the same time. Also I've put a magnet down the spark plug holes and there's nothing sitting on top of the pistons
Wezelton
Regular

July 2004
Re: Problem with my 4A-C .. any ideas? Sun, 14 August 2005 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dont take it to heart, but i think a decent amount of your problem is that the 4ac is still in there! have you looked around the motor in general for fluids or stains ? eg. head gasket gone.. if worst comes to worst, i have a 4ac sittin at a mates place..

wes
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Problem with my 4A-C .. any ideas? Sun, 14 August 2005 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dumb question.. are you doing compression test at WOT?
Phat535
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: Problem with my 4A-C .. any ideas? Mon, 15 August 2005 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wezelton wrote on Sun, 14 August 2005 17:32

Dont take it to heart, but i think a decent amount of your problem is that the 4ac is still in there! have you looked around the motor in general for fluids or stains ? eg. head gasket gone.. if worst comes to worst, i have a 4ac sittin at a mates place..

wes

a blown headgasket would still have some compression
Phat535
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: Problem with my 4A-C .. any ideas? Mon, 15 August 2005 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Sun, 14 August 2005 17:47

nope
Phat535
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: Problem with my 4A-C .. any ideas? Mon, 15 August 2005 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If anyone wants an AE71 wagon I really need this gone
$250 firm
I'll even throw in a spare 4A-CE motor

don't want to seperate anything as I really need this gone quickly
mc68
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2005
Re: Problem with my 4A-C .. any ideas? Mon, 15 August 2005 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phat535 wrote on Tue, 16 August 2005 07:13

oldcorollas wrote on Sun, 14 August 2005 17:47

nope

i beleive that its common practice...do it.
biggo
Regular

November 2004
Re: Problem with my 4A-C .. any ideas? Wed, 17 August 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Might pay too check why the fuel aint burning. Like check the distributer or spark plugs.

on another note ill give u $200 4 ur ae71 so pm me of sumthing
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Problem with my 4A-C .. any ideas? Wed, 17 August 2005 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phat535 wrote on Tue, 16 August 2005 09:15

Laughing

Razz
Phat535
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: Problem with my 4A-C .. any ideas? Wed, 17 August 2005 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skellator wrote on Wed, 17 August 2005 17:07

Phat535 wrote on Tue, 16 August 2005 09:15

Laughing

Razz

?? I'm obviously missing something here
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Problem with my 4A-C .. any ideas? Wed, 17 August 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah, right

C = carby engine
E = efi engine

edit: i think you mean 4AC

[Updated on: Wed, 17 August 2005 07:16]

biggo
Regular

November 2004
Re: Problem with my 4A-C .. any ideas? Wed, 17 August 2005 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im still interested in the car.

btwis the motor in or out?
Phat535
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: Problem with my 4A-C .. any ideas? Fri, 19 August 2005 01:12 Go to previous message
haha yeah my bad
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Ma61 heater
Next Topic:SPRING CLAMPS/ COMPRESSORS WANTED (melb)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 19:40:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048909187316895 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.