Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
3tgte bottom and 2tgeu head Thu, 16 June 2005 02:34 Go to next message
im thinking about building a 3tgte/2tgeu hybrid engine. i will be running the 3tgte full bottom end and just running the 2tgeu head and inlet manifold with the ct20 turbo and manifold.

wat i need to know is will the compression be to high with the 8.6: head on the 7.8:1 bottom??

also will all the plumbing for the ct20 be able to hook up to the 2tgeu head or willi need to modify sumthin???

edit: will the 2tgeu elec dizzy work with the 3tgte block??

thanx

[Updated on: Thu, 16 June 2005 02:46]

Send a private message to this user    
setsuna
Forums Junkie

July 2004

Re: 3tgte bottom and 2tgeu head Thu, 16 June 2005 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
of course the plumbing will be fcked up.
the 3TG inlet comes over the top of the engine, and the 2TG comes from the front.

setsuna
Forums Junkie

July 2004

Re: 3tgte bottom and 2tgeu head Thu, 16 June 2005 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think that maybe its a better course of action to do a mild head work on the 3TG head, than switch it for the 2TG head.

the 3TG has a much better quench/squish area.
I think its true that the 2TG head flows better in stock form, but with the work done to the 3TG head, it will work out much better.
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 3tgte bottom and 2tgeu head Thu, 16 June 2005 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the reason i want to run the 2tgeu head is because i dont want to spend $1000 on an after market ecu + a few hunder on a inlet manifold + a few hundred more for the 3tgte ignition stuff

i already have a 2tgeu fully setup and running with a haltech ecu, so if i put the 2tgeu head on the 3t bottom on so the turbo oil return plumbs in and then run neother lines i need for the turbo i will have a 1.8 litre turbo engine with 4 spark plugs,electronic ignition and it wont cost as much as 2 running engines.

as for plumbing i meant the oil/water lines. the 2tgeu plenum sucks from the front so it will be better for intercooler piping.

will the 3tgte thermostat housing fit onto the 2tgeu head??

ne more info would be appeciated

laterdays

[Updated on: Thu, 16 June 2005 07:46]

TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: 3tgte bottom and 2tgeu head Thu, 16 June 2005 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude,
Your engine won't last wrong if you do what you're suggesting. You pretty much want to turbo a 2TG using the 2TG ECU.
Problem is you need to retard timing under boost, this is something that teh 2TG ECU or dizzy can't do.

Your better off either using a 2TG or a 3T GTE not a half baked solution that will cost more in the long run anyway.

Cya,
Simon
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 3tgte bottom and 2tgeu head Thu, 16 June 2005 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so basically i just gotta keep looking for a 3tgte or spend $2k to build this one, is that wat everyone is saying??
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 3tgte bottom and 2tgeu head Thu, 16 June 2005 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what your wanting to do sounds 100% fine to me
just have to get the haltech tuned again
rb20det
Regular

July 2004
Re: 3tgte bottom and 2tgeu head Fri, 17 June 2005 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah turbo hybrid sounds fine just get computer tuned.
turbo manifold lines up holes for oil and water are on the 3tg block + 2tg inlet is much better for turbos
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: 3tgte bottom and 2tgeu head Fri, 17 June 2005 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Um there was a guy that did one of the first 3TGTEU conversions to a T18 and he managed to run it using a 2TGEU ECU... He has posts in these forums if you just search around.
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 3tgte bottom and 2tgeu head Fri, 17 June 2005 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so has neone looked into the 3tgte thermostat housing fitting the 2tgeu head??? i have noticed that this is the centre for the oil flow as the oil comes in one side and goes out 2 holes on the other side.

ne info on this will be appreciated, if no one knows i will just have to check it out wen i pull the engine out of my car.

laterdays
SRacin
Regular

March 2004

Re: 3tgte bottom and 2tgeu head Fri, 17 June 2005 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes the thermostat block fits straight onto the 2tg head. I have done this using the 3tgteu bottom end with a 3tgeu head.

You will need to swap the thermostat/oil lines block over to the 2tg head, then the exhaust manifold and oil lines are a direct fit up from the block to the turbo.

The tricky part comes when running the oil lines back to the sandwich plate between the oil filter and block, the lines run where the 2tg dizzy mount is in the block (as 3tg run a dummy dizzy thingy) it runs right over the bolt to hold the dizzy in place so its a bit of a pain but it works sweet as.

if you are running an aftermarket computer with ign timing just lock the dizzy, or if you are running fuel only, swap the boost/retard vacuum diagphram (sp?) from the 3tgteu dizzy into the 2tg dizzy, you will probably need to redrill the arm as it is significantly longer than the 2tg one, and will put the timing way out and hence you run out of adjustment on rotating the dizzy.

That is pretty much all there is too it..

Cheers
Logan
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 3tgte bottom and 2tgeu head Sat, 18 June 2005 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok now that is the best news ive had all day Very Happy

do u knwo if the 2tgeu elec ignition dizzy will work if i re-route the lines away from the dizzy?

thanx
and
laterdays
SRacin
Regular

March 2004

Re: 3tgte bottom and 2tgeu head Sat, 18 June 2005 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you dont need to move the lines, it all fits its just a pain in the ass thats all...
pheonix83
Regular

June 2004
Re: 3tgte bottom and 2tgeu head Sun, 19 June 2005 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im confused here, are u still thinking of using the 2tgeu ECU.

if so just dont bother.

a 3tgte will blow pistons with the factory computer, let alone a bodged up setup.

either get an aftermarket ECU or rethink the idea.

as doing it half assed only costs u money in the long and short term.

Thats my 2 cents worth.

PS. currently rebuilding a 3tgte
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 3tgte bottom and 2tgeu head Mon, 20 June 2005 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as previously stated im building a hybrid and running the haltech f7b.

laterdays
Buster
Regular

May 2004
Re: 3tgte bottom and 2tgeu head Fri, 19 August 2005 01:46 Go to previous message
Sorry to butt into an old thread but for those interested there is currently a TA22 running 10.4 sec Qtr miles using this kind of set up, 3T bottom end and 2TG head !, I am also planning to run this combo, no offence to anyone, but 8 plug leads just looks too busy!! compared to the smooth and tastey old school look of the 2TG !

Check out the pic's etc at the Haltech site www.haltech.com
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:supra sump and aristo sump
Next Topic:Water Injection - COMMERCIAL ADVERTISING. Locked, editted.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 00:43:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054850578308105 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.