Toymods » Tech & Conversions » converting 18rc to run unleaded petrol

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
converting 18rc to run unleaded petrol Fri, 31 January 2003 12:48 Go to next message
im taking the head of my ra 23 next week to inspect the head and i was thinking that i might as well convert it to unleaded petrol. The car is a 1976 and japan didnt have unleaded engines until 1978 correct? so i was thinking if i got a set of valve seals from a RA40. Would these would fit my 18rc and this would be the only thing needed to change to unleaded petrol? if not what else would need to be done?

Thanks

Daniel

[Updated on: Fri, 31 January 2003 12:50]

Send a private message to this user    
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: converting 18rc to run unleaded petrol Fri, 31 January 2003 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just oversize the valve guides a little. Check them first because 9 times out of 10 they are so worn that there ok anyway and dont need to be oversized.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: converting 18rc to run unleaded petrol Sat, 01 February 2003 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dont you mean "valve seats" not "valve seals"?
I dont see how valve seals have anything to do with running unleaded.

Youll have to take the head into your local head recon shop and get them to press in hardened valve seats.
You cant take the seats out of another engine.

Its easier just to run valve lube in the petrol.

Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: converting 18rc to run unleaded petrol Sat, 01 February 2003 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The difference that i understood with LRP and ULP was the fact that the LRP fuel has a lubricant in it to lubricate the valves in the guides, valve seats and valve seals wont help to lubricate the valve stems thats why you need to oversize the guides a little bit but if its an old engine thats done a lot of miles i would just check the clearences and if there already oversized leave it.
As M.W.P. said its easier just to run valve lube in the petrol if the engine is not apart.

[Updated on: Sat, 01 February 2003 02:52]

ddeane
Regular

June 2002
Re: converting 18rc to run unleaded petrol Sat, 01 February 2003 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You should not really have any problems with a 18RC as they are an alloy head with inserts. The only problem you may encounter is valve recession - that is if it starts idling rough and looses a bit of power you will need to adjust the valve clearances.

Craig
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: converting 18rc to run unleaded petrol Sun, 02 February 2003 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lead is used to protect the valve seats, not the valve stem seals. I'm almost certain that an 18R-C will already have hardened valve seats which should cope fine with unleaded fuel, but even if it doesn't it's unlikely the valve seats will recede enough to make any difference before the engine needs a rebuild anyway. Valve recession is generally a very slow process, unless you have an old crappy 202 or something with an iron head.
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: converting 18rc to run unleaded petrol Sun, 02 February 2003 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 18-RC head is a very f-ing heavy to be an alloy head, its some sort of a cast iron, if it was alloy then a magnet wouldn't stick to it which a magnet could stick to mine.

i ran premium in mine and never had a problem, just if you plan to run unleaded make sure its premium that way you have the right octane rating as standard unleaded has a lower octane rating then LRP and thats why you then use premium unleaded as it has a slightly higher octane rating
spiked16
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: converting 18rc to run unleaded petrol Wed, 29 September 2004 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, Im using premium in my 18rc. I emailed toyota and they have told me its a leaded engine. Is running on premium causing any major damage to the engine? If it is are 18rg motors unleaded? I was considering doing a swap but it sounds complicated. If someone would kindly direct me to a step by step guide that would be great. Back to my initial question, so is there any harm running premium?
Thanks in advance
jabtronic
Regular

July 2003
Re: converting 18rc to run unleaded petrol Wed, 29 September 2004 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm just running premium in mine no hassles at all.. It's only an 18RC anyway Very Happy
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: converting 18rc to run unleaded petrol Thu, 30 September 2004 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i run mine on it. it goes fine. dont even bother doing anything to the valves/head.
heres proof i doesnt matter.
my dad owns a datsun 1200 ute (pre 80's) and it was supposed to run on leaded Rolling Eyes but he has run it on unleaded 90% of it's life. it has be clocked over once and its up to 15? ??? so total like 999 999 + 150 000 =1 150 000 . and 999 999 of that would have been on unleaded. he has also neva taken it to a mechanic since hes owned it and neva set valve clearances.
its unreal.

brett
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: converting 18rc to run unleaded petrol Thu, 30 September 2004 06:12 Go to previous message
Hi,

spiked16 wrote on Wed, 29 September 2004 23:38

Is running on premium causing any major damage to the engine? If it is are 18rg motors unleaded? I was considering doing a swap but it sounds complicated. If someone would kindly direct me to a step by step guide that would be great. Back to my initial question, so is there any harm running premium?
Thanks in advance

Not a problem with the 18RG. The engine runs best with the higher octane stuff, like BP Ultimate or Shell Optimax.

seeyuzz
river
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1JZ ring gear tourque settings
Next Topic:TA22 conversion help
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 13:36:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051369667053223 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.