Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » water injection...the truth?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
AuthorTopic
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
water injection...the truth? Fri, 19 August 2005 16:55 Go to next message
hey all looking at setting up WI on my 165 in the not too distant future...just wanna get some stuff straight first...i know it dramatically reduces intake temps and cylinder temps...adding to engine life..ect....BUT...what im wondering about is ive heard some people claiming 40hp gains from WI without any changes to timing...ect...is this pure bullshit or is there actually merit behind it...i mean i can see the probability of highly increased numbers with methanol + advancing the timing and such.....but apart from slightly higher compression due to a small ammount of water being in the cylinder..and the obvious lower temperatures, how can it really achieve the sort of claimed numbers without tuning?
  Send a private message to this user  
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: water injection...the truth? Fri, 19 August 2005 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they claim it against a non incooled setup!water injection is a poormans intercooler.ive yet to see it used to any extent on proper race cars!get a good intercooler.
mick
vin91
Regular

August 2003
Re: water injection...the truth? Fri, 19 August 2005 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't Know I've Heard That Not only does It cool Better than an Intercooler But that when Used can Promote Cleaner Burn and You are able to run More advance and Leaner Fuels than Just the Cooling effect would Allow. However Be Very Carefull as The effects of a failing system Is Disasterous. Ref Hot Fours Magazine.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: water injection...the truth? Fri, 19 August 2005 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would hope i new a bit more than hot4's.but then again i never new chrome mags gave cars such a power increase!lmao
mick
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: water injection...the truth? Fri, 19 August 2005 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vin - capitalising all the first letter like that makes your post REALLY annoying to read.

skip the water injection and go straight for alcohol injection Smile
ralfross
Regular

On Probation

April 2005
Re: water injection...the truth? Sat, 20 August 2005 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.gtfours.co.uk/what/wi/wi.htm
This has some information on a ST165 using water injection.
Enchanter
Regular

July 2005
Re: water injection...the truth? Sat, 20 August 2005 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can also run higher compresion on an atmo car with water/methanol injection so that kind of gain is possible, but the car needs to be setup for it.
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: water injection...the truth? Sat, 20 August 2005 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
youll notice some good gains after a few weeks of using it after yovue blown out all the carbon in ya combustion chambers heh Razz
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: water injection...the truth? Sat, 20 August 2005 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Enchanter wrote on Sat, 20 August 2005 11:50

You can also run higher compresion on an atmo car with water/methanol injection so that kind of gain is possible, but the car needs to be setup for it.

it always seems to go on dosnt it!maybe this can end it so when people do a search it will come up! we run 12.5-1 on 6 litre atmo chevs on pump gas that cost $80K + to build and spend ours on engine dyno getting every last ounce we can out of the engines. ours has 580fp of torque from 3800 revs and 750hp in circuit racing trim,some have more some have less.ever seen water injection on a nascar?on a V8 supercar?sportsedan? etc etc etc no,they would have tried it but it has gone the way of the DODO.i sure wouldnt say it works if i didnt know,cause i dont want to think that some guy has forked out money to put something on his car that isnt going to do much of anything at all,in an atmo engine or a properly cooled turbo motor.
mick
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: water injection...the truth? Sat, 20 August 2005 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its not good to make cars reliant on water injection as the water runs out.

also is a fully tuned race engine you cant get away with the increase in CR that water would make, you also run hi octane fuel that you dont need to stop detonation, etc.

and ya engine would be clean because youd be rebuilding it often anyway.

an increase in power is an increase in power. wether it suits your application is a different matter.

[Updated on: Sat, 20 August 2005 03:49]

ralfross
Regular

On Probation

April 2005
Re: water injection...the truth? Sat, 20 August 2005 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well alot of rally, race and endurance cars use water injection as it offers unbeatable protection against pigning and keeps engine internals cool consistantly. Sorry to bum you out there kingmick.
To use a Toyota as an example the GT4 ST205 came with it as standard and so do many European Turbo and SC cars.
You do not need to make your cars dependant on water injection. As standard these cars come with a float switch so when the systems are out of water the ECU will switch maps to a 'non water injection map' Simple!
If you dont have an ECU then you wont need to worry about a float switch. My GT4 only used about 3L of water to 50L of fuel. So just check the water each time you fill up.

Thanks.

[Updated on: Sat, 20 August 2005 04:24]

ralfross
Regular

On Probation

April 2005
Re: water injection...the truth? Sat, 20 August 2005 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh and here is a link on Rally cars using WI. Search Google and you will find hundreds of race/track cars using water injection.
It works or they would never of invented it to cool and protect engines for more than 60years. The Spitfires in WWII with the SC V8 relied on water injection. Today the Water Injection technology is better than ever. Heaps of Drag cars internationally, that cost 100,000buck also use water injection. SO it has definatly not gone the way of the DODO.

http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/WaterInjection.html

V8s do benefit a great deal using WI.
Petrol and Deisel.

[Updated on: Sat, 20 August 2005 04:31]

kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: water injection...the truth? Sat, 20 August 2005 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the only reason a wrc would use it is to get rid of heat soak because they have a set rule on intercooling and they race flat out for along time!how many cars on the street do you know that run flat out all the time!the only trouble with the web is you get people that read something or there mate says it and it goes around like a ping pong ball for years.what race cars use it?lap dashers? god my heads sore from hitting the desl!lmao
mick
p.s and anyone that compares there street car to a fully setup endurance race car is having a lend of themselves.ive done some quick times up the highway from sydney to brissy but i hardly compare it to bathurst race!
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: water injection...the truth? Sat, 20 August 2005 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ANY FORM of intake charge cooling is a benifit, it doesnt matte rif you drive like a mum or a driftking.

cooler air = more power.

water injection has other added benifits also though.

wrc run in sprints.

i dont see how you could hate bash it dead.

for those who would be trying, and want to do it cheap, get an old cold start injector, a brass ball valve (to set pressure), an old fuel pump, and a switch/relay. cheap and works. and if you dont like running out of windscreen washer fluid, just take the injector out and put some duct tape over the hole Smile
ralfross
Regular

On Probation

April 2005
Re: water injection...the truth? Sat, 20 August 2005 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your right we are not talking about track cars. But you cant say they dont use it, they do and some teams swear by it. Never the less, many gains are made by using water injection, on and off the street.

If you are tuning a car it never hurts to have water injection. Run more timming, more boost without pinging and excess heat. Also your engine internals remain very clean.
Any car using water injection is safer in the long run providing you have a high quality system that cant fail on you.

I first used WI on my GT4 a year ago and had an excellent experience with it and am happy to share it with others.

Thanks.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: water injection...the truth? Sat, 20 August 2005 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ralfross wrote on Sat, 20 August 2005 14:15

oh and here is a link on Rally cars using WI. Search Google and you will find hundreds of race/track cars using water injection.
It works or they would never of invented it to cool and protect engines for more than 60years. The Spitfires in WWII with the SC V8 relied on water injection. Today the Water Injection technology is better than ever. Heaps of Drag cars internationally, that cost 100,000buck also use water injection. SO it has definatly not gone the way of the DODO.

http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/WaterInjection.html

V8s do benefit a great deal using WI.
Petrol and Deisel.

see this is a prime example of a little knowledge is dangerous!let me guess!the drag cars that use it have a 6/71 bolted on top?funny that no cooler!the spitfire was a weapon in its day but that was 1940 it is now 2005,we have been on the moon now!and the heaps of race cars you a referring to wouldnt happen to be endurance racecars would they!most of the stuff,not all, but most is old hat.takes years for most things to trickle down.

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: water injection...the truth? Sat, 20 August 2005 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I plan on putting water injection on my car with the Autronic SM4 configured to use it as knock protection.
I agree there is no point to running it all the time but there it can be a great benefit in it protecting your engine if it starts knocking.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: water injection...the truth? Sat, 20 August 2005 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not hate bashing just pointing out,get an intercooler that will work!they are cheap as now days.lets just hope you dont hydroic your engine with a fualty setup that lets water dribble in while the car sits overnight etc!
mick
ralfross
Regular

On Probation

April 2005
Re: water injection...the truth? Sat, 20 August 2005 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
quote title=kingmick wrote on Sat, 20 August 2005 14:42]
ralfross wrote on Sat, 20 August 2005 14:15

It works or they would never of invented it to cool and protect
see this is a prime example of a little knowledge is dangerous!let me guess!the drag cars that use it have a 6/71 bolted on top?funny that no cooler!the spitfire was a weapon in its day but that was 1940 it is now 2005,we have been on the moon now!and the heaps of race cars you a referring to wouldnt happen to be endurance racecars would they!most of the stuff,not all, but most is old hat.takes years for most things to trickle down.

Whatever then mate, dont use Water Injection then, I really dont care, in the end it is your loss as it does have something to offer and thats obvious to most but you.

I dont want to argue anymore but water injection was used on the Rocket engines that got man to the moon. The Rocket engines use several turbos to supply the massive amounts of air required at takeoff. The Water Injection was used to cool the charged air as an intercooler was not practical. This information appears in the google search too.
I really dont want to argue anymore about this. you think what you want. We are both entittled to our opinion, i'll respect yours.
Cheers.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: water injection...the truth? Sat, 20 August 2005 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Sat, 20 August 2005 14:48

I plan on putting water injection on my car with the Autronic SM4 configured to use it as knock protection.
I agree there is no point to running it all the time but there it can be a great benefit in it protecting your engine if it starts knocking.

mate why would you drive in ping condition,wouldnt you let it cool down. or do you have major sponsors to keep happy on the way to the shops!lmao
mick
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: water injection...the truth? Sat, 20 August 2005 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
intercoolers suck compared to waterinjection. why would you get any dribble? the pump isnt working.

you were hate bashin git now you say its ok just get it done right? Shocked

tim eto close this thread moterators Very Happy

[Updated on: Sat, 20 August 2005 04:56]

terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: water injection...the truth? Sat, 20 August 2005 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingmick wrote on Sat, 20 August 2005 14:25

mate why would you drive in ping condition,wouldnt you let it cool down. or do you have major sponsors to keep happy on the way to the shops!lmao
mick

my car knocks under 2000rpm and i still drive it Razz

its not bad though, the ecu reards itself good enougn most of hte time, but going up hill in 4th it comes back every now and then.
ralfross
Regular

On Probation

April 2005
Re: water injection...the truth? Sat, 20 August 2005 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingmick wrote on Sat, 20 August 2005 14:49

not lets just hope you dont hydroic your engine with a fualty setup that lets water dribble in while the car sits overnight etc!
mick

This is a good point mick. This fear is a reality, however the systems today come with a checkvalve and a normally closed electric solenoid that will not physically allow any water to enter the engine unless on boost. Or if its an N/A car, off vacuum.

Cheers.

[Updated on: Sat, 20 August 2005 05:02]

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: water injection...the truth? Sat, 20 August 2005 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingmick wrote on Sat, 20 August 2005 14:55

mick

Can you react as fast as an ECU and solenoid mick?
The time it would take the average person to react to full boost knock would be enough to do significant damage, I would rather be safe than sorry.
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: water injection...the truth? Sat, 20 August 2005 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would agree intercooler is a better solution due to its low maintained and its simplicity, but water/alcohol injection is great where you can't fit a cooler as stated. I am in process of installing water injection on my SB Chev as with the 177ci roots blower to run more then 10psi I need either 110 octane, static comp of 7:5 or some octane booster and water injection...with a better 8:1 comp...In my case yes it would be worth at least 20hp as I can advance my ignition from 32 degrees total to 36 degrees at 12psi, without water injection I can run maximum 10psi with that advance, at thats edging on detonation even with octane booster..

Just my 2c

ralfross
Regular

On Probation

April 2005
Re: water injection...the truth? Sat, 20 August 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Both Water Injection and an Intercooler is the ultimate cooling solution.
Your 8cyl sounds like its going to be a beast.
Goodluck with it.

Cheers.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: water injection...the truth? Sat, 20 August 2005 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
terra wrote on Sat, 20 August 2005 14:56

intercoolers suck compared to waterinjection. why would you get any dribble? the pump isnt working.

you were hate bashin git now you say its ok just get it done right? Shocked

tim eto close this thread moterators Very Happy

no didnt say get it done it all!i said if you wanted to.no im not fond of it cause its a band aid solution.
mick
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: water injection...the truth? Sat, 20 August 2005 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
water isnt a band aid solution -- water is an addition.

you can run more timing advance (etc etc) with it that you couldnt with a big FMIC+water spray.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: water injection...the truth? Sat, 20 August 2005 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Sat, 20 August 2005 15:05

kingmick wrote on Sat, 20 August 2005 14:55

mick

Can you react as fast as an ECU and solenoid mick?
The time it would take the average person to react to full boost knock would be enough to do significant damage, I would rather be safe than sorry.

but unless richard has come up with a new knock sensor it will only be really affective lower in the rev range because of the noise,and if you have a midrange knocking you have bad tuning.so its only going to ping up top without good tuning and the knock sensor system is very hit and miss up top.
mick

[Updated on: Sat, 20 August 2005 06:35]

kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: water injection...the truth? Sat, 20 August 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol ok next summernats the turbo and supercharged cars that i do i should put in the comps ill put water injection on. should give me alot more than the 900hp at the wheels from the 355 strocker and if we were allowed to take the turbo motor to 11500rpm again on 40 pounds it would make well over the 1100hp from 2.3litre it can make?
Very Happy
mick
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: water injection...the truth? Sat, 20 August 2005 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just so everyone knows terra!what do you do for a living?
mick
p.s sorry for all the typos im watching TV at the same time.

[Updated on: Sat, 20 August 2005 06:00]

terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: water injection...the truth? Sat, 20 August 2005 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i spam car foums 3 hours a day for a living Razz

like i said, water injection is an addition, and it all depends on application.

and youre right, maybe you should make better sense of what you type b4 you hit the post button.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: water injection...the truth? Sat, 20 August 2005 07:38 Go to previous message
This thread is stupid.

I have seen more than enough arguments and deceptive advertising threads about water injection in the past month to last me a lifetime.....

This argument is both repetitive and redundant.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
Previous Topic:How big does a 4AGE exhaust need to be?
Next Topic:Blasphemous Mod
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 22:33:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067582130432129 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.