Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » rebuilding a 2tg turbo. wat do i need to buy??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
rebuilding a 2tg turbo. wat do i need to buy?? Fri, 19 August 2005 20:38 Go to next message
ok im about to pull my enigne out and rebuild it but wat exactly do i need to replace?? so far ive come up with:-

a hone, rings, bearings, gasket kit, is there nethin else i shoudl replace??

timing chain and timing chain guides, are they available?? im guessing they woudld be a good thing to replace too

any help appreciated, tips on doing things would be good too

thanx and laterdays
  Send a private message to this user    
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: rebuilding a 2tg turbo. wat do i need to buy?? Fri, 19 August 2005 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
water pump , oil pump etc
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: rebuilding a 2tg turbo. wat do i need to buy?? Sat, 20 August 2005 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
remove welch plugs, tank the block and crank
hone the block, fit new pistons or o/s rings as req'd
linish crankshaft and main journals
resize and linish connecting rods, replace rod bolts with ARP
new main/rod/thrust bearings
new gasket set to assemble
new valve guides
lap valves & 3 angle grind
new head bolts

For forced induction you'd probably want to fit forged pistons, if you're doing that you may as well get them in 3T compression height (ie. 3T-GTE pistons) and fit 3T crank for increased displacemnt. The other alternative is to just buy a 3T-GTE but if you do the rebuild then you have the benefit of a motor which is a known quantity.
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: rebuilding a 2tg turbo. wat do i need to buy?? Sat, 20 August 2005 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanx, i have a few stupid questions now

tank the block and crank - wat do you mean by this
replace rod bolts with ARP - why is this needed
new valve guides and lap valves & 3 angle grind - is this expensive
new head bolts - why is this needed.

i dont mean to sound stupid im just curious as to the reasons.

i will still be using stock pistons unless my pistons or bores are fuked. isnt the 3t compression lower?? so y woudl i want to use them??? are forged pistons expensive?? if they are not too expensive i might consider getting sum and using the 3tgte crank.

also with the valve lapping and grind would this need be done because of the bigger cams im thinking about using cause no one wants to buy them.

thanx
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: rebuilding a 2tg turbo. wat do i need to buy?? Sat, 20 August 2005 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'll answer the easy ones , someone else will know more about the cost of forged pistons..

tank the block and crank - strip the engine down, drop into bath of cleaner to degrease it and remove any residue in the oil galleries and coolant channels. a proper bath - not a wash down with a few $2 tins of degreaser from supacrap.

replace rod bolts with ARP - the are high-quality bolts and will not easily loosen, stretch or shift - resulting in early failure of the rod bearings. They'll also stand up to serious punishment.

new valve guides and lap valves & 3 angle grind - depends on your engine builder but valve guides and seals should be low cost and the lap and 3-angle grind will ensure the valves seal correctly and will (despite use and wear) continue to seal correctly. A good machinist will inspect the valves after doing this and replace any that do not have enough unused seat area that will provide positively sealing despite normal wear-and-tear.

new head bolts - they stretch everytimes you do them up (or the threads in the block do.

Do you re-use condoms? then why would you continue to use and stretch and punish one of the most important bolts on your engine (and if you're serious about birth control or not contracting STDs you'll think the same about condoms). Used head bolts may stretch following torque-ing down resulting in lower than expected clamping - and variable - pressure between head and block.

cheers,
Charles.
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: rebuilding a 2tg turbo. wat do i need to buy?? Sat, 20 August 2005 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it all depends on the boost you wanna run. if you have a good ecu that can deliver the right amount of fuel when its needed and can do timing then id suggest hone the block and get it oringed. use a copper head gasket. that way you will have lower compression. get the engine fully balanced. upgrade the clucth as stock wont handle it. get flywheel lightened and balanced and upgrade the injecters. that should be plenty to get you ruinning atleast 13psi.
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: rebuilding a 2tg turbo. wat do i need to buy?? Sat, 20 August 2005 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am only intending on running stock boost so about 7.3psi is my limit. i am going to try to keep my 8.6:1 compression if i can and use my 288 degree cams.

i will replace all the parts i need to and get it all done properly.

hopefully it will be all back together in 4-6 weeks Very Happy

thanx for the help

laterdays
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: rebuilding a 2tg turbo. wat do i need to buy?? Sun, 21 August 2005 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you most likely will not be able to run aggressive cams. u will need to go back to standards.
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: rebuilding a 2tg turbo. wat do i need to buy?? Sun, 21 August 2005 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i didnt think 288 woudl be that aggressive. my stock ones are 244 i think.

will i need to get my head re surfaced to make it flat again??
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: rebuilding a 2tg turbo. wat do i need to buy?? Sun, 21 August 2005 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What Chuck says.

Forged pistons would be $200+ per slug at retail. I recommended this as I'm not sure whether second-hand cast 2T-GEU pistons would be up to the increased cylinder pressures of forced induction use. They certainly weren't built with that in mind, but may be suitable anyway? Biggest issue I'd think would be detonation or excessive cylinder temps from poor tuning or high boost.

As for compression, if you're buying forged pistons you can probably buy them at any dome height you like. Don't know what compression 3T-GTEU with factory pistons has from factory but Google should help you here. Combustion chamber volume may well be different between 3T-GTEU and 2T-GEU head anyway.

As for the cams, the issue would be excessive overlap for forced induction applications. To an extent you can control for that in how you time your cams. Generally though, more duration means more overlap.
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: rebuilding a 2tg turbo. wat do i need to buy?? Sun, 21 August 2005 19:56 Go to previous message
so basicaly if i buy all those parts i shouldnt have a prob with the turbo??

3tgte compression is 7.8:1 2tgeu is 8.6:1

do u think i can keep my 8.6 compression with running 8 psi boost??

like me engine ran beautifully before i just want a lil bit more play.

laterdays
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3sfe TPS wiring
Next Topic:gze tacho/SC light prob
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 16:47:14 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006727933883667 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.