Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » virus protection-free downloads???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
tempest
Regular

April 2003
virus protection-free downloads??? Tue, 09 August 2005 23:55 Go to next message
as the title says im after a GOOD virus protection program that i can download for free off the net.does anyone know of any?

any help would be much appreciated.thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: virus protection-free downloads??? Wed, 10 August 2005 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

or

http://www.clamwin.com/index.php?option=content&am p;task=view&id=40&Itemid=25

Very Happy
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: virus protection-free downloads??? Wed, 10 August 2005 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.orbitals.com/self/survey/pin/big/scissors.jpg

+

http://www.conquest-usc.com/website/images/ethernet/ethernet%20cable.jpg
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: virus protection-free downloads??? Wed, 10 August 2005 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or there is that hands-on no-more-internet approach Laughing
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: virus protection-free downloads??? Wed, 10 August 2005 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What I want to know is how my VET picks up that there is viruses in the computer but spybot doesnt??

I still have about 7 that i cant get rid of,after VET has gracefully informed me that the following connot be removed or deleted, then has no further options or information on what to do next Mad
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: virus protection-free downloads??? Wed, 10 August 2005 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spybot is looking for adware, vet is looking for viruses (not necessarily the same thing)

sometimes the reason these apps cant remove things is beacause they are currently running, or have a file sharing lock on them.

this may help, aussuming your using windows xp. go to you task manager and stop all processes except these:

system
smss.exe
csrss.exe
winlogon.exe
services.exe
lsass.exe
svchost.exe (there may be multiple instances of this one, all required)
Explorer
spoolsv.exe
System Idle Process

then run your antivirus or antiadware <disclaimer>use advice at own risk!</disclaimer>
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: virus protection-free downloads??? Wed, 10 August 2005 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my sis's boyfriends a bit of a computer geek ie plays cs etc lots. Anyway he reccommended we use AVG anti virus, and for the spyware there is a program called spysweeper, be careful though it picks up everything ie legit programs trying to access the net.
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: virus protection-free downloads??? Wed, 10 August 2005 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 12:35

my sis's boyfriends a bit of a computer geek ie plays cs etc lots. Anyway he reccommended we use AVG anti virus, and for the spyware there is a program called spysweeper, be careful though it picks up everything ie legit programs trying to access the net.

that's the 5th time i've heard about your sis' boyfriend and I'm hardly on the forums anymore Laughing
he does a bit of everything that boy Smile
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: virus protection-free downloads??? Wed, 10 August 2005 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ehendrikd wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 10:02

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

= AVG Smile
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: virus protection-free downloads??? Thu, 11 August 2005 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
turn of "system (virus) restore" microsoft should be shot for that idea! run vet and your done
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: virus protection-free downloads??? Thu, 11 August 2005 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tried erasing the hard drive and installing any flavour of linux?
alex_ta22
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: virus protection-free downloads??? Thu, 18 August 2005 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=77931&start=0&rid=4431&S=e29c4dd9862 4f7c4eb7d645fee8d5bb5
..........could always just buy my apple for the net, its operating system is based around unix/linux but is easier to use Very Happy
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: virus protection-free downloads??? Thu, 18 August 2005 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

if you want an efficient antivirus.. youre not going to get a free one. thats a plain and simple fact.

AVG is shit. its free but its shit. Free Antivirus = No real $ to spend on building real Heuristic Virus Detection engines, proper definition builds and updates.

VET is bottom end of the Scale. It detects and cleans a lot, but not everything by far. It doesnt clean anything out of your System Restore cache or locked temp files either. CA is low end, but does the job sort of.

Symantec - Norton is doubly crap. If you want half a million registry entries that you cant remove, a 30% slower PC and the odd exploit that slips through. Get it. Symantec AV Corp Ed is better, but you need a minimum 10 licence purchase to get it so that isnt feasible.

Trend Micro - Same as Symantec. PC Cillin is crap. OfficeScan is a lot better, better than SAV Corp for sure. But once again minimum licence purchases.

McAfee - THIS IS WHERE U SHOULD BE LOOKING! Obviously not at the box product off the shelf of Harvey Norman because thats crap and buggy just like Trend and Symantec, and not looking at their corporate products like AVD/ATP/TVD, but you should be looking at their MANAGED VirusScan ASAP. Its a Managed Service, Meaning your updates are controlled as they come and threats patched far quicker than a normal Propietary box product can.

go to http://www.yourasap.com and download a free 1 month trial of it. if you choose to subscribe, then its like $50 a year. Come on seriously.. $50 for high end protection that runs off the same engines as the enterprise AVD product you cannot go wrong. Oh and did i mention, that $50 is McAfee VirusScan ASAP AND McAfee Desktop Firewall ASAP bundled.

Even if you were to buy a low end product like VET for $99 off the shelf its still going to cost you $45 a year in renewals.

Basically in the security world, you pay for what you get.

FREE = Bad MM Kay!

FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: virus protection-free downloads??? Sat, 20 August 2005 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWIW i have 2005 Norton fully installed and updated daily for 0$

Nothing wrong with my shit, never has sinse Service Pak 2 & Norton been running.

But then again i aint whoring the net either. I usually only go were ive been before.

Cheers

Steve
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: virus protection-free downloads??? Sun, 21 August 2005 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.free-av.com
AntiVir is the best free antivirus package. Picked up two virii on my machine that Norton and AVG did not detect, heuristic scanning etc.

Mcafee's offerings for home users are crap. Their corporate packages are good though.

[Updated on: Sun, 21 August 2005 00:31]

faulksy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: virus protection-free downloads??? Sun, 21 August 2005 06:22 Go to previous message
as hamgatan said McAfee is teh best out of the brand name products

however im a huge fan of a australia product. NOD32 - best AV program i have used
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Internet cafe OPENING
Next Topic:need job
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:40:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054411888122559 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.