Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Internet cafe OPENING Wed, 17 August 2005 01:22 Go to next message
Hi guys,

We're having our opening this weekend. The shop is built and tested.

At the moment we have 16PCs, with another 8 going in shortly.

Games we've got installed at the moment:
WoW
UT2004
BF2, BFV, BF1942
Warcraft3 & Frozen throne (DotA etc.)
and a few others

Also:
Internet Explorer
Office
Mirc
MSN
etc.

Hours:
Friday from 6pm
Saturday from 10am
Sunday from 10am

Membership is $10, and its $3 an hour to play.

Revesby Internet & LAN
32A Marco Ave
Revesby
(above Revesby Coffee)
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Internet cafe OPENING Wed, 17 August 2005 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice original name!!

nah, seriously, congrats dude.
Good luck
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Internet cafe OPENING Wed, 17 August 2005 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The name was decided to be quite bland so that we'd get the internet users as well as the hard-core gamers.

Also the name is fully extensible. With the logo (that I have no way of posting, and hate image shack type things) it will be easy to start a store in any other location. Franchise.

Its been a long, hard slog but finally we'll be able to accomodate the local gamers.
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Internet cafe OPENING Wed, 17 August 2005 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You don't have your own webpage yet??

But well done, must be good to see all the work pay off!
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Internet cafe OPENING Wed, 17 August 2005 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We bought the domain internetandlan.com but havn't put a webpage up yet as we have been BUSY BUILDING THE STORE.

We've already got a few prize packs ready from AMD and ATI, hopefully more will be coming in the next couple of weeks.
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Internet cafe OPENING Wed, 17 August 2005 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oooh prizes!!!

Too bad I suck at online gaming Sad

edit: I also suck at typing and spelling!!

[Updated on: Wed, 17 August 2005 03:52]

Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Internet cafe OPENING Wed, 17 August 2005 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
best of luck with your business endeavour!
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Internet cafe OPENING Wed, 17 August 2005 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pete - lets talk EVENT!!! Surprised
Well at least a few 'modders heading in to shoot each other and not get bruises this time (im scarred from the last skirmish!!)

Friday september 2nd all good with you??

..... good show old chap!

p.s. email the logo to karl at edist dot com dot au please.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Internet cafe OPENING Wed, 17 August 2005 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Wed, 17 August 2005 14:38

Pete - lets talk EVENT!!! Surprised

There will be "lock-ins" available. Scheduling is required and pre-paying is also required (so WE turn up). Also people attending must be members (of the cafe) for security purposes.

September 2 is do-able. Lock-in time of maybe 9 or 10pm until the wee hours of the morning. Food and drinks are provided with prepaid lock-ins.

.. email sent.

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Internet cafe OPENING Wed, 17 August 2005 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.twincam.org/forums/uploads/post-20-1124255867.jpg

well yeah i would have guess the standard pre-payment dealio. I'll start a thread and see what interest there is.... myself im now thinking september 2nd might be too soon, will check the diary Smile
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Internet cafe OPENING Wed, 17 August 2005 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Come and checkout the premises first, then work out an event.

Theres no hurry, and its not like we're booked out
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: Internet cafe OPENING Wed, 17 August 2005 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good stuff pete, is this near revesby station?
RobertoX
Regular

May 2002
Re: Internet cafe OPENING Wed, 17 August 2005 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SupraPete wrote on Wed, 17 August 2005 11:22

Games we've got installed at the moment:
WoW
UT2004
BF2, BFV, BF1942
Warcraft3 & Frozen throne (DotA etc.)
and a few others

Membership is $10, and its $3 an hour to play.

What about CS? Smile

nice and cheap though!
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Internet cafe OPENING Wed, 17 August 2005 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EvilJack wrote on Wed, 17 August 2005 15:31

Yep you can see it from the train and its VERY close to the station (couple of doors down from the mitre-10).

CS we're considering. If theres enough demand for CS then we'll put it in. At the moment BF2 is very popular.

And yeah $3 per hour is quite reasonable.
RobertoX
Regular

May 2002
Re: Internet cafe OPENING Wed, 17 August 2005 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Last time I was in a LAN shop it seemed that everyone was playing either CD:S or Dota...

Good luck though!
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Internet cafe OPENING Wed, 17 August 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We've got Dota

Did that shop have BF2 available?

CS isn't ruled out, we're still looking into it, but steam is a nightmare.
RobertoX
Regular

May 2002
Re: Internet cafe OPENING Wed, 17 August 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I think BF2 was available but there were only a few people that played it... The one I went to had a high asian patronage though and most of them seemd to love warcraft3 and CS

haha and yeah, it seems that what the shop attendants were most occupied with was logging people back into the steam account Razz
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Internet cafe OPENING Wed, 17 August 2005 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What hardware are you running on the machines?
Phatt internet connection?

I always thought internet cafe's with <$5hr prices couldn't be profitable unless they were either a front for a drug operation, run on dodgy outdated hardware and pirated software or sold obscure imported drinks that cost $0.001US/pc to import from Thailand. Very Happy

I assume you aren't taking either of the first two options so I can imagine a sign on top of your fridge... "Rod Bull Gives You Wangs!" Razz

JK Pete... will have to check out your store sometime.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Internet cafe OPENING Wed, 17 August 2005 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahaha - thats awesome!
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Internet cafe OPENING Wed, 17 August 2005 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Wed, 17 August 2005 16:24

What hardware are you running on the machines?
Phatt internet connection?

I always thought internet cafe's with <$5hr prices couldn't be profitable unless they were either a front for a drug operation, run on dodgy outdated hardware and pirated software or sold obscure imported drinks that cost $0.001US/pc to import from Thailand. Very Happy

I assume you aren't taking either of the first two options so I can imagine a sign on top of your fridge... "Rod Bull Gives You Wangs!" Razz

JK Pete... will have to check out your store sometime.

Yeh i have never understood it aswell,not acusing you of being dodgy but $3X16 is $48 an hour if its packed,how do you do it? and yeh just asking from a business perspective not being a smartarse..

cheers
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Internet cafe OPENING Wed, 17 August 2005 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahaha Rod bull!

We are keeping everything extreemly low cost. ie - getting Ron in to build the tables, we put the PCs together ourselves (and now have a retail licence btw - anyone want parts?).

PC Specs (run BF2 VERY well):
Ath XP 2800+
Radeon 9600XT 256MB video cards
512MB mem
80gig HDDs
17" monitors

The current internet connection is 1.5/256 and we'll see how that goes, mainly it will be used for internet browsing and WoW games (ie. not CS/BF2 as they take too much bandwidth).

The biggest reason why the rate is <$5 is because we don't have shop frontage - its upstairs and the rent is subsequently cheaper.

Most of the work to get it up and going has been done by us on a minimal budget.

Toobs, if it makes you feel better, I could charge YOU $5 per hour to play.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Internet cafe OPENING Wed, 17 August 2005 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
riceburna73 wrote on Wed, 17 August 2005 16:43

Yeh i have never understood it aswell,not acusing you of being dodgy but $3X16 is $48 an hour if its packed,how do you do it? and yeh just asking from a business perspective not being a smartarse..

cheers

I've done a business degree (havn't used it till now btw). One of the biggest things I learnt is to keep variable costs as low as possible.

Our current business model covers weekly costs pretty quickly, and one off costs are completely tax deductable. So in affect, we're negative gearing the shop.
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Internet cafe OPENING Wed, 17 August 2005 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey good to hear of people giving it a go.

*Good luck with the business!*
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Internet cafe OPENING Wed, 17 August 2005 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SupraPete wrote on Wed, 17 August 2005 16:50

I've done a business degree (havn't used it till now btw). One of the biggest things I learnt is to keep variable costs as low as possible.

Our current business model covers weekly costs pretty quickly, and one off costs are completely tax deductable. So in affect, we're negative gearing the shop.

nice work Smile
hope it turns out well!!!
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Internet cafe OPENING Wed, 17 August 2005 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SupraPete wrote on Wed, 17 August 2005 15:41

EvilJack wrote on Wed, 17 August 2005 15:31

Yep you can see it from the train and its VERY close to the station (couple of doors down from the mitre-10).

CS we're considering. If theres enough demand for CS then we'll put it in. At the moment BF2 is very popular.

And yeah $3 per hour is quite reasonable.

CONSIDERING CS??
I know it's died down a bit since but it's CS! It single handedly built the LAN Gaming industry! You can play stuff like WoW better online in my opinion but there's just something about CS @ LAN that makes it special. Getting NFSU2 mightn't be such a bad idea either Razz

This frag day sounds pretty interesting Smile
Anyway as someone who spent a lot of his free highschool life @ LANs (at least at earlier years) get counter-strike! Very Happy
Oh, and congrats on the new accquisition and hope it all goes well!
Cheers,
Thu Smile
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Internet cafe OPENING Wed, 17 August 2005 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SupraPete wrote on Wed, 17 August 2005 16:07

We've got Dota

Did that shop have BF2 available?

CS isn't ruled out, we're still looking into it, but steam is a nightmare.

May I ask what's screwed about steam? I noticed for a while a lot of PC Rooms had 1.5. Alot longer than it took to upgrade from any other versions. If you want any ideas checkout Burwood Cyber Cafe on Burwood Rd, past Westfield closer to Parramatta Rd end. It was the most popular PC room in the area by far. It was really shit getting there after school till about 6pm. There were 30+ computers and only a few places to sit inside for people waiting. Otherwise you'd have to stand up or wait outside or go somewhere. There was always at least 10 people waiting and even during the night it was pretty busy. I'd definitely suggest having a competition (Burwood had a CS one) and make teams of 4 that pay $20 for team entry. 1st 2nd and 3rd should get a prize. Burwood Cyber Cafe has a retail license as well and I'm guessing they could get parts cheap because to minimise costs that's what they used for prizes.

Anyway, just a suggestion. Good luck! Smile
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Internet cafe OPENING Thu, 18 August 2005 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

but it's CS! It single handedly built the LAN Gaming industry!

You are such teh n00b.
I remember playing GTA, Doom 2, Quake, C&C, MECHWARRIOR, TA... and sooo many other classics back in the day. Nothing beats the old days of LAN gaming (when it was RARE to have a LAN card)....

Pete - i vote you have a few "old school games" nights Wink Bust out the oldies!! ..... of course this is more than likely not a viable idea seeing that the licences cost $$, but i can dream!!

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Internet cafe OPENING Thu, 18 August 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah quake was pretty big back in its day
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Internet cafe OPENING Thu, 18 August 2005 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
duke3d over serial 4 evah

Congrats Pete, im suprised you managed to put B.Business(Computing and info management) to good use. Im not sure i have yet.

Your rates sound great, whats the parking situation like?
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: Internet cafe OPENING Thu, 18 August 2005 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

i fail to see this too

rob: sif park the place practicly sits on the train station Wink
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Internet cafe OPENING Thu, 18 August 2005 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unless im allowed to sleep there im not catching the night ride (spew bus) home at 4am if we have a lock in.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Internet cafe OPENING Thu, 18 August 2005 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SPEW BUS! Laughing

Hey looks good. I'd check it out if I wasn't 874.29kms away. Laughing

Well done mate. Are you allowed to sell your computer parts from the shop? That might be an idea. Kids come in, play their games, and when they realise that your computers are teh 1337, buy your parts for their own systems. Just a thought.

If you need any help with the website, I'm a professional web developer/designer. Wink
Farkurnell
Regular

February 2005

Re: Internet cafe OPENING Thu, 18 August 2005 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will you have Space Invaders and Pac Man for us oldies?
What about a Pinball Machine?

Cheers, Greg.
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Internet cafe OPENING Thu, 18 August 2005 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any discounts for toymods members ?
pm me Smile
got a few ideas runnigna roudn ym head Smile
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Internet cafe OPENING Thu, 18 August 2005 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
easy to see from the station, saw it on the way through today and theres plenty of parking round there Wink
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Internet cafe OPENING Thu, 18 August 2005 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

any discounts for toymods members ?

HAHAHA!!! but $3/h is already so cheap? Razz
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Internet cafe OPENING Thu, 18 August 2005 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 11:56

Your rates sound great, whats the parking situation like?

Theres parking out the front, at night or on weekends its pretty easy to find a spot.
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Internet cafe OPENING Thu, 18 August 2005 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i knwo the rates are cheap yet it could be some form of spnsership deal that can benefit both aprticualrly if parts are available cheap enough to justify a rebuild / update fo teh toymods server
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Internet cafe OPENING Thu, 18 August 2005 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4DaDrift wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 19:38

i knwo the rates are cheap yet it could be some form of spnsership deal that can benefit both aprticualrly if parts are available cheap enough to justify a rebuild / update fo teh toymods server

YES! ...Please?
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Internet cafe OPENING Thu, 18 August 2005 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4DaDrift wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 19:38

I offered to find parts for it last time and nothing happened. I'm happy to help upgrade the toymods server.
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Internet cafe OPENING Thu, 18 August 2005 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 11:50

Quote:

You are such teh n00b.
I remember playing GTA, Doom 2, Quake, C&C, MECHWARRIOR, TA... and sooo many other classics back in the day. Nothing beats the old days of LAN gaming (when it was RARE to have a LAN card)....

You are such teh misunderstanding. It is time you whip out those metal undies before you are pentrated Mad Laughing

You have proved my point with what you said. Playing GTA, Doom 2, Quake, C&C, Mechwarrior etc. when it was RARE to have a LAN card. At the time you are referring to how many LANs do you think operated as profitable businesses? LANs (PC rooms as they are more often called) were popping up when I just started high school and so I was in the prime of my gaming life. You saw a couple of people playing starcraft but what kept bringing people back was Counter-Strike. It was extremely popular from around BETA 0.6 to 1.3 and was still largely popular upto 1.5.
Maybe I could've rephrased what I was trying to say in a better way but Counter-Strike single-handedly made LANs mainstream and thus profitable -- and no other game comes anywhere near as close as CS in its prime in attracting the droves of customers back. From kids as young as 8 to middle-aged adults. If you ask anyone in the business they will tell you the same thing.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Internet cafe OPENING Fri, 19 August 2005 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah - well the original statement did not read as such Wink
Thus my statement stands against your original statement Razz

Anyhoo...

Pete et all - the toymods server has already been pretty well upgraded around a year or two ago, and realistically is running just fiiiine. Sam takes damn good care of the server as a kind of "special favour". Last upgrade we did look at everyone's offers but we somehow managed a damn good deal. When the time comes around again, we will definitely look at the help being offered again.

The only reason these forums are slow is due to the way FUD forums software operates - it has TWO SQL databases and when someone is editting a post it has to repopulate the second database - very retarded.
The new forums wont do this, and you will ALL notice a massive improvement in performance when they go live.

4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Internet cafe OPENING Fri, 19 August 2005 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tissues please
im excited !!!!
serisouly any idea of a release date for this ?
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Internet cafe OPENING Fri, 19 August 2005 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The forums are slow?

back on topic. who is gonna come visit this weekend? Mention toymods and we'll work out a discount or something (depending if any toymodders turn up I suppose)
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Internet cafe OPENING Fri, 19 August 2005 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
News just in!!

While I was at home sick today my business partner organised ...

COUNTER STRIKE

So when you come in and play make sure you thank him!
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Internet cafe OPENING Fri, 19 August 2005 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'll see what i can swing this weekend Petey, but i dont think i have the time to be honest Sad

Tonight turned to p00, thanks to a certain Audi battery (thanks Dad).... tomorrow is quite busy, but i should be in Penania during the day so i might say hello Smile

Sunday is broke cruise.
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Internet cafe OPENING Fri, 19 August 2005 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Fri, 19 August 2005 23:54

.... tomorrow is quite busy, but i should be in Penania during the day so i might say hello Smile

you mean panania ? Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 19 August 2005 14:43]

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Internet cafe OPENING Fri, 19 August 2005 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah... that.... one of those places south of parramatta road which is all unchartered waters for this hills boy Wink
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Internet cafe OPENING Sat, 20 August 2005 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Last night was great. We were nearly full the whole night. We're expecting tonight to be even bigger.

Opened the door this morning and there were 2 guys waiting! I like enthusiasm Very Happy
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Internet cafe OPENING Sat, 20 August 2005 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id so come down tonight.... if i didnt only have an Audi as my mode of transport, and if i didnt have prior arrangements with my girlfriend Smile

I will drop in Pete... one day....
mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Internet cafe OPENING Sat, 20 August 2005 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is there a toymods day being organised? if so, im in.

chris
toyrota
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Internet cafe OPENING Sun, 21 August 2005 07:13 Go to previous message
A weekend cruise dueing the day(sunday) would be good that way I could head down in a certain KE20 that I'm told Pete knows
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:GT goes to NZ...
Next Topic:virus protection-free downloads???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:49:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0078530311584473 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.