Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
engine removal plz help Sun, 21 August 2005 06:20 Go to next message
ok this is probably a very noobish question but.....

i'm pulling the engine out of my car and i'm just wondering what else needs to come off it before i pull it out of engine bay.

i've got the radiator out and taken air filter off just wondering what else needs to come out and what i need to unplug (i assume everything).

do i have to worry about takeing things off like alternator and what not??

the engine is a 3S-GE out of a ST162 celica.

[Updated on: Sun, 21 August 2005 06:54]

Send a private message to this user    
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: engine removal plz help Sun, 21 August 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
leave as many ancilliaries on as possible and still have the engine fit out - otherwise you just gotta put them back on again Smile

don't forget to unplug the p/s lines, coolant lines from engine thru firewall, cable to alternator.. just go over the entire engine and pull anything off it that connects to something that's not coming out!
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: engine removal plz help Sun, 21 August 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
couldn't tell you specifically for a 3SGE, but disconnect everything from the plenum/throttle body. Disconnect flange from exhaust primaries. disconnect all sensors Off with bonnet, out with grill and radiator (including hoses). You shouldn't have to worry about the alternator, but again, I don't know specifics of your engine in your vehicle. You will probably be best of removing the starter motor. undo the bellhousing bolts, take the weight of the engine with the hoist, undo engine mounts. Move engine such that gearbox input shaft slides out, then lift engine out carefully. If anything is left on that shouldn't be, you'll know about it, then you'll pull it off and know for next time. All good. Should take you five minutes Wink ... Or maybe a few more... Maybe there is a good reason why mechanics charge $1000 to pull out an engine an put it back in Cool .
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: engine removal plz help Sun, 21 August 2005 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and what draven said... Plug ya hoses... OR ELSE Laughing .
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: engine removal plz help Sun, 21 August 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the help fella's
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: engine removal plz help Sun, 21 August 2005 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good idea to label the hoses + cables.
Put bolts into plastic bags so they don't get lost.

Makes it easy to put back together.

Let us know how it goes !

EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: engine removal plz help Sun, 21 August 2005 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive never done a celica personally but have done MANY FWD's and heres my advice:

im assuming you dont have a hoist but either way i would take the engine out through the bottom rather than the top. take out radiator, unplug anything attatched to the motor AND gearbox, drain engine and box oils, undo all hoses, and remove cv's.

once this is done, attatch engine to crane and unbolt engine mounts, then lower the engine and box onto the ground. the front end of the car will be very light now and you can lift it up about a meter either with some mates or the engine crane and slide the engine out.
this is how i do it on most fwds.
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: engine removal plz help Sun, 21 August 2005 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah i have acess to a hoist...freinds dad has one or i can hire one for a gigantic 36 dollars a day Razz

yeah i've been warned about the labeling so i've started doing that aswell. al oils have been drained aswell except gear box (bolt is starting to round off, and i'm wasnt sure weather i'd have to drain gear box oil)

Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: engine removal plz help Sun, 21 August 2005 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unless you want gear oil all over you/ the ground it's a good idea Razz
I don't like old gear oil all over me...
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: engine removal plz help Mon, 22 August 2005 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
by hoist i meant car hoist not engine hoist. but yes you can do it with an engine hoist thats what i was talking about. take engine and box out together as one, and through the bottom rather than the top.
billmchenry
Regular

June 2005
Re: engine removal plz help Mon, 22 August 2005 08:18 Go to previous message
its a pretty easy motor 2 pull out. take picutes if u r worried.

Leave the wiring loom on the engine and pull it out of the ecu and firewall.

I had my motor on the ground in 3 hours, by myself. It gettin a bit loose... it been in and out of there a few times haha Laughing

hav fun Very Happy

ty
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:overheating and major loss of power
Next Topic:1G Rear Main Oil Seals Info Here.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 07:48:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055348873138428 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.