Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
thekemist
Regular

August 2002
Exhaust clunk when engine starts Sun, 21 August 2005 07:24 Go to next message
I recently got a 2.25inch exhaust fitted to my 4age on my corolla sx
.. when i start the car there is like a big clunk when the engine turns over and it feels like its directly under my gear stick so guessing its where the cat is.. now this happens when the car is cold but is this normal.... i had to take the car back to where i got the exhaust fitted because when i revved u could hear the piping rattle against the floor pan.. so the guys lowered the piping abit to give it abit more clearance but its really the start up that im concerened about now.. any ideas
  Send a private message to this user    
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: Exhaust clunk when engine starts Sun, 21 August 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have you tried getting someone to start the car while your underneath it to get a more accurate idea where the noise is coming from?

and the piping that was put it was it from the cat back or entire exhaust??
thekemist
Regular

August 2002
Re: Exhaust clunk when engine starts Sun, 21 August 2005 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the piping was from the cat back
no i havnt actually gone underneath the car when i start it
this clunk noise happens only when i start the car while its been idle and the engine is cold .. its like a bang and its seems that it takes abit more for the engine to turn over since the exhaust had been fitted

still i cannot think that having this happen every morning when i start the car is a good thing
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Exhaust clunk when engine starts Sun, 21 August 2005 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
engine mounts or piping still too close...

check engine mount condition.. then if it still does it, check you have clearance around the pipes...
if it was RWD, you could just tilt the engine over a bit on the mounts to adjust clearance slightly, but FWD?? nfi.. does it have a flexible coupling in the pipe??
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Exhaust clunk when engine starts Sun, 21 August 2005 09:12 Go to previous message
thekemist no offence but have you even got under you car to have a look?this is whats made toymods seem like a cyberspace garage,this has happened over the last few years.not a group of car lovers that have a go and then ask for advice etc.mate seriously its the piping etc hitting or one of the brackets!if you got under the car safely{jack it up and throw the spare tyre under the rail}and shake the system,im sure my 5 year old son could work out what is making it hit.
mick
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Octane booster, how good does it work?
Next Topic:3tgte oil cooler problem
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 03:30:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0038790702819824 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.