Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon5.gif  Teh Ghey 1G Sat, 20 August 2005 09:50 Go to next message
Well onto the dyno she went finally, and I wasn't expecting a whole lot, but not *quite* as bad as this. Getting beaten by a totally stock auto (Gen2) GZ20 isn't cool mkay? (no offence Chris Razz )

The following are copies of the dyno graph, the first with manifold pressure, the second with AFR's.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/justcallmefrank/dynosh eets/1.jpg
http://users.bigpond.net.au/justcallmefrank/dynosh eets/2.jpg

As you can see, the car falls in a heap at about 115kph. I'm thinking it possibly may be the knock sensors having a field day as the power just drops off markedly.

Any thoughts?
  Send a private message to this user    
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Teh Ghey 1G Sat, 20 August 2005 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AFR looks crazy rich....

Looks like you are making peak power at something like 3800 rpm? (at a rough guess?)...

Cheers
Wilbo

[Updated on: Sat, 20 August 2005 10:28]

sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Teh Ghey 1G Sat, 20 August 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u need to plot air fuel with revs

toyotas and nissan like to have 10 to 1 air fuel when u have full throttle

my 1uz does this when road testing with an air fuel meter up the exhaust

u drive it at 90% throttle and mixtures are perfect

u drive it at 100% throttle and mixtures goto 10 so quickly

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Teh Ghey 1G Sat, 20 August 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about this one then sideshow? Very Happy

http://www.twincam.org/forums/uploads/post-3-1120387018.jpg
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Teh Ghey 1G Sat, 20 August 2005 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks almost like mine Karl

http://www.conceptual.net.au/~peewee/eng_conv_2/dyno.jpg
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Teh Ghey 1G Sat, 20 August 2005 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Sat, 20 August 2005 22:32

Looks almost like mine Karl

http://www.conceptual.net.au/~peewee/eng_conv_2/dyno.jpg

WTF?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Teh Ghey 1G Sat, 20 August 2005 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Care to elaborate on the WTF?
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Teh Ghey 1G Sat, 20 August 2005 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The way the fuel ratio very suddenly goes rich surprised me.
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: Teh Ghey 1G Sat, 20 August 2005 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
almost evyer 6 cyl toyota does taht.. the vz/mz engines do that too.

[Updated on: Sat, 20 August 2005 13:50]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Teh Ghey 1G Sat, 20 August 2005 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So did the two less modified 1G's that beat me, yes it was bad, but I dunno if it's the problem.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Teh Ghey 1G Sat, 20 August 2005 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, here is the graph referenced to rpm rather than kph.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/justcallmefrank/dynosh eets/3.jpg

W00t! Go max power at 4250rpm. That's fucked Laughing
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Teh Ghey 1G Sat, 20 August 2005 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
taht roxxors

No No No
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Teh Ghey 1G Sat, 20 August 2005 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan wrote on Sat, 20 August 2005 21:43

That happens when you go from 1/4 throttle to almost full throttle.

Its an auto remember.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Teh Ghey 1G Sat, 20 August 2005 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Sun, 21 August 2005 00:20

Stefan wrote on Sat, 20 August 2005 21:43

That happens when you go from 1/4 throttle to almost full throttle.

Its an auto remember.

Had no idea.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Teh Ghey 1G Sun, 21 August 2005 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ouch.

I've yet to go near a dyno Razz
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Teh Ghey 1G Sun, 21 August 2005 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
She gets up and boogeys on 18psi though Razz Wink
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Teh Ghey 1G Sun, 21 August 2005 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Managed to max out the AFM yet? Smile
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Teh Ghey 1G Sun, 21 August 2005 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh JCMF, looks like we both went the same day. Your graph looks just like mine actually i dunno whats with the stupid curve dropping off, you can tell when it happens in my car. they supposedly dropped my richness cause mine was doing that but am unsure how the managed (or is that what the AFM screw does) anyway here is my result and does anyone want to point out whats wrong with this?

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/1097/dyno1lp.jpg

yes thats right 6 PSI, WTF!!!!! but yeah even i am pulling more so i dunno man. they never printed me one with the AFM reading or a before and after plot on the same graph but should they still be able to print me what i want?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Teh Ghey 1G Sun, 21 August 2005 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
At least yours still climbs towards redline, mine dies in the ass as soon as it comes onto boost.

So, how do I test my theory?
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Teh Ghey 1G Sun, 21 August 2005 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jcmf

was yr 1gg a complete set i vaguely remember u have some probs with wiring and some parts and shit

im not sayin this could be the prob but i see it so many times

most people who do not buy a complete set with everythingmatchin sometimes have probs

the main reason a car runs rich up hi is air flow is worng or calibrated wrong

has anyone ever tuned a unichip

even though i dont like them much

when u hook one of these up to a nissan of a toyota the main way to gain horsepower is by leaning the mixture up hi

from 10 to 1 too about 12 to 1

most people think a car needs more fuel up hi to ge tmore power but in std trim the car manufacturers richen the mixtures up hi
for safety so the engine doesnt blow and they have heaps of warranty claims

this is called wot wide open throttle

as soon as the ecu sees full throttle it usually dumps the fuel in

i have tried it sometimes by puttin a small block under throttle so i dont get 100 throttle

it usually goes so much better

if u can its best to put a mixture meter a good one up the exhaust and take car for a road test

u will soon find the best position to have the throttle in

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Teh Ghey 1G Sun, 21 August 2005 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The AFR curve while crappy, is about par for the course for Toyota ECU's. It's a problem I plan to rectify with a Jaycar Digital Fuel Adjuster I have wired and ready.

It's actually thrown a code 12. Next time I'm over at the car I'm going to investigate whether it's actually the dizzy, or the remote possibility that it's my dodgy starter wiring (and therefore unrelated to the power problem)
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Teh Ghey 1G Sun, 21 August 2005 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There aint much to the starter system... as long as the ECU knows the starter is doing it's thing you'll be ok on that front.

Have you touched the wiring to the dizzy/ignitor?
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Teh Ghey 1G Sun, 21 August 2005 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would be checking your timing to start with. Cam and dizzy.

Then if you think it is the knock sensors, whack a 30% mix of toluene in there which gives about 104octane and it is unleaded. That should be plenty to overcome any knock if there was any. Redyno and see what the difference is Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Teh Ghey 1G Mon, 22 August 2005 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cam timing is spot on, last time I checked the base timing was spot on 10 degrees too.

Code 12 is supposed to be RPM signal, but for some reason the diagnostic list has the starter circuit as a possible cause. Heres hoping it's the dizzy because I've got three of them to try. I'll pull out the starter wiring as well and make sure that connection is fine too which I think has come loose on one side.

As for the knock sensors, if that's what it is, I don't think it's a genuine problem. I had to replace some of the knock sensor wiring so if it's them, it could possibly be some sort of interference.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Teh Ghey 1G Mon, 22 August 2005 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go LPG mate, then tune away to your hearts content.
Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Teh Ghey 1G Mon, 22 August 2005 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stradlater wrote on Mon, 22 August 2005 08:13

Go LPG mate, then tune away to your hearts content.
Smile

Umm...no. If I was going to go something that I could tune, I would bring my Microtech plans forward. Razz
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Teh Ghey 1G Mon, 22 August 2005 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What wiring did you use for the knock sensors? I have heard from US guys that you need to use special network type cable as it deflects interference better.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Teh Ghey 1G Mon, 22 August 2005 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Mon, 22 August 2005 08:10

...but for some reason the diagnostic list has the starter circuit as a possible cause.

All that is, is when the ECU gets STA signal for 2+ secs, and fails to get any RPM signal.

This suggests to the ECU that the RPM sensors are fucked, where as in your case it was the starter that was fucked.

But if it has happened after the start was fixed, and you never held the key on START while the motor didn't turn over (like it did before), then the issue lies with the RPM signals.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Teh Ghey 1G Mon, 22 August 2005 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Uhuh.... Don't go using cat 5. The twists are too close for the lower frequency signals.

There is specific shielded wire that is twisted to the right length and shielded appropriately that would be much much better. It's not that expensive either.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Teh Ghey 1G Mon, 22 August 2005 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, this is true, it's always started no worries since we bodged up some uber hektic starter wiring. I'll fix that dodgy connection and then try to concentrate on all the dizzy wiring and the dizzy itself.

I don't remember it always being like this, because I remember nailing it to redline. I'm hoping that by default rules out the knock sensors.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Teh Ghey 1G Mon, 22 August 2005 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Mon, 22 August 2005 10:40

What wiring did you use for the knock sensors? I have heard from US guys that you need to use special network type cable as it deflects interference better.

they probably use coax cable (used in 10bT and ATM network hardware) - is big bulky stuff.

you sould also try h/duty shielded audio cable (not speaker cable) - it would have to withstand the environment of an engine bay but it's readily available at DSE or Jaycar or...

i pulled my loom apart (am never going to run factory ECU) and i have the two leads (plugs and wire right up next to ECU plug) if you're stuck for a replacement.

some of the cabling coming from the dizzi is shielded, as well as the O2 sense - from memory, these shielded traces take the sheath to ground at the ECU only - if you've earthed it at both ends you could be getting interference? Anyway, someone with an B, Elec. Eng. degree should know more about this.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Teh Ghey 1G Mon, 22 August 2005 02:27 Go to previous message
Coax cable would probably be slightly excessive Razz Effective, but I doubt it'd fit everywhere.

The shielded signal cable sounds like a good bet if the problem does turn out to be my wiring. I believe in the end I just managed to remove the spade terminal from inside the plug and soldered the wire onto it and chucked it back.

The more I think about it, if it's pinging that much for the power to get so raped, surely the code for "excessive knock sensor activity" (or something like that) would come up.

Dammit, I just want the time to go over and fix it Crying or Very Sad
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:RA28 Ignition barrel switch
Next Topic:2JZ R31
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 05:21:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0076708793640137 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.