Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion - **VIDEO** it runs

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion - **VIDEO** it runs Sun, 21 August 2005 10:44 Go to next message
I decided to post up some pics of my 1g RA40 conversion. I will probably have more questions later but I thought I’d just start a new thread anyway. One question; what are the thread types for the water and oil senders?? Im looking at buying a couple gauges.

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/3885/ga4000382av.jpg

The mounts I used were the GZ20 items so they were originally made to fit the mid type engine mounting. On the exhaust side I got away with stretching the mount - all holes lined up. With the inlet side however, the rear 2 holes lined up no problems but the front 2 holes required some work. The front lower hole was close enough to elongate but the top hole was way off. What I did was cut off the corner and reweld in another piece which could be redrilled for the hole. Also regarding mounts, a 8mm hole has to be drilled in the mount bracket to use the 18r rubber isolators.

Once all this was done, I bolted the engine down and found it was sitting to high in the engine bay. Some intercooler pipes and the intake was touching some of the bonnet ribs. So to solve this I cut the mounts off the crossmember and cut a bit off the bottom and then rewelded them to the crosmember. Best way to do this is to bolt the mounts to the engine mounts, then lower onto crossmember, then when everything is good, tac them in place.

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/4264/conversion00515wr.jpg

The gearbox mounts was no problems at all Smile simply a matter of reversing the rubber isolator and revesing the gbox xmember. The RA40’s have 2 positions to bolt the gearbox to; using a W50, they use the front position, where as with the W58 you can use the rear position. no mods required for that Smile

something else i found is that the MX62 front sway bar is very similar to the RA40 item (not sure if same as xA2x). its within mm of being the same width but i will test fit it very soon. this sway bar is a fair bit thicker than the RA40 one.

anyways, thats the latest. i will update later and probly have a few mire tips and pics.

brett

[Updated on: Sun, 18 September 2005 11:49]

Send a private message to this user    
barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS Sun, 21 August 2005 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is just a lame post really to subscribe to your thread really but i thought i might ask something partially relevant to make it worthwhile...
what are you doing for brakes at the front?

ps are you able to resize the pics a little so you don't have to scroll...640x480

[Updated on: Sun, 21 August 2005 11:52]

brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS Sun, 21 August 2005 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think ill be going with peugot rotors/ hilux callipers and corona struts

im probably just going to go all out

i got a set of st141 avante read disk brakes for my diff so ill just equally upgrade up front

pics are already hosted so i couldn't be bothered sitting there for 10mins again Wink
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS Sun, 21 August 2005 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for this - maybe I'll go this way when doing the mounts for mine.

Why do you have 2 crossmembers - one to test, one to use?
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS Sun, 21 August 2005 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BTW such a clean looking car makes the engien look dirty in comparison Razz Is the engine coming out again for this, or...?

Is this a gen 2 or 3?
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS Mon, 22 August 2005 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm pretty happy to see this post because i've got an ra40 and would love to be able to upgrade to a 1g. I've worked on putting a 1ggze in a 28 so I know just how much work is involved such a conversion, people are always quick to say just a throw a "1g in it" but how many of them have actually done the conversion. Good work mate, dont entertain the whingers. Cheers.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS Mon, 22 August 2005 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan wrote on Sun, 21 August 2005 22:36

Is this a gen 2 or 3?

brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS Mon, 22 August 2005 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Mon, 22 August 2005 14:56

Stefan wrote on Sun, 21 August 2005 22:36

Is this a gen 2 or 3?

incorrect Razz

gen 3 Smile ...its got the green injector plugs and grey ecu plugs
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS Mon, 22 August 2005 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i bolted in the xmember this arvo and its looks awesome.

this is what it looks like as of now. the nice little welds make the mounts look like they havent been changed at all Smile

note the ~5mm clearance between the steering draglink and the sump. maybe i will give it a bit of a massarge when i pull then enine out again later.

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/9761/conversion00772rt.jpg

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/5267/conversion00754cc.jpg

brett
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS Mon, 22 August 2005 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brett_celicacoupe wrote on Mon, 22 August 2005 17:24

incorrect Razz

gen 3 Smile ...its got the green injector plugs and grey ecu plugs

Hehe, I was trying to be lazy and look at the inlet pipes for the turbos, but not a good pic of them Razz
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS Wed, 24 August 2005 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump

engine is out for the final time . just need to do the few things while the engine is out like change steering box etc.

already put a neat little hole in the firewall for the engine loom.

everything is coming along nice

brett
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS Thu, 25 August 2005 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
question:

putting a GZ20 master cylinder into a RA40/2x does the soarer master cylinder bolt onto the celica booster (2 bolt) or does it require the swap of the whole soarer booster???

i was looking at putting the RA60 booster in but being slightly larger diametre booster, it clashed with the clutch master cylinder.

other question:

what are the threads types for the oil and water senders on the 1g??

thanks

brett
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS. i got questions too Wed, 31 August 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
something interesting to note:

corona RT142 5/16" fuel line goes nearly straight in with a bit of tweaking Wink worked out very well for me
ke30king
Forums Junkie

On Probation

March 2005
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS. i got questions too Thu, 01 September 2005 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fark man thats gunna do big burnouts Shocked Shocked Very Happy
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS. i got questions too Thu, 01 September 2005 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i hope so Razz

i got my hilux 4 pot callipers today so looks like i will be taking that route with the brakes Smile
barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS Thu, 01 September 2005 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brett_celicacoupe wrote on Thu, 25 August 2005 21:06

question:

putting a GZ20 master cylinder into a RA40/2x does the soarer master cylinder bolt onto the celica booster (2 bolt) or does it require the swap of the whole soarer booster???

i was looking at putting the RA60 booster in but being slightly larger diametre booster, it clashed with the clutch master cylinder.

brett

did you get an answer on this matey???

brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS. i got questions too Fri, 02 September 2005 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah - i havent found that out yet Sad

im just wondering because i got some pics of a gz20 soarer MC and it looked like it was 4 bolt as opposed to the celica 2 bolt item
barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS. i got questions too Sun, 04 September 2005 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok matey i hunted around in me shed today and came up with the following.
ra28 brake booster- = 4 bolt holes
ra40 brake booster- = 2 bolt holes
according to yourself ga70 brake booster- = 4 bolt holes

so that would probably be a nay on the MC replacement into the RA40.
so now the next question arises....
anyone out there know if a ra28 brake booster will fit a ra40 so that the XA70/XZ2X master cylinder can be used for big brake upgrades???
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS. i got questions too Mon, 05 September 2005 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey, looking good brett, hopefully i'll have my conversion done in a few weeks Very Happy just wondering if by chance you'd have a bracket left over... it's the one that joins the bellhousing with the block, on the left side... i'm kinda getting desperate for one... any help would be awesome
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS. i got questions too Mon, 05 September 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hickoz_bro wrote on Mon, 05 September 2005 13:05

hey, looking good brett, hopefully i'll have my conversion done in a few weeks Very Happy just wondering if by chance you'd have a bracket left over... it's the one that joins the bellhousing with the block, on the left side... i'm kinda getting desperate for one... any help would be awesome

my conversion is getting very close now Smile Smile.

sorry, no brackets left over.

PM "chris davey" he might have one because thats who i got my mounts off, he had a bit of 1g stuff laying around i think.

barned01 wrote on Mon, 05 September 2005 00:10

ok matey i hunted around in me shed today and came up with the following.
ra28 brake booster- = 4 bolt holes
ra40 brake booster- = 2 bolt holes
according to yourself ga70 brake booster- = 4 bolt holes

so that would probably be a nay on the MC replacement into the RA40.
so now the next question arises....
anyone out there know if a ra28 brake booster will fit a ra40 so that the XA70/XZ2X master cylinder can be used for big brake upgrades???

thanks for that Smile

really appreciate it.

i guess this also means that a RA60 (15/16" bore) MC will go onto a RA2x booster.

ill have a guess and say that the RA2x booster's will go on RA40's no worries. the RA60 boosters will fit in the RA40's if you dont have a clutch master cylinder (they clash).

thats awesome to know
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS. i got questions too Mon, 05 September 2005 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
update

engine is now in for the final time Very Happy (i hope anyway)

i also sourced a set of hilux callipers and the pegout rotors and bendix performance pads are on order Smile

http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/262/hiluxcallipers5tu.jpg

im happy with the progress

[Updated on: Tue, 06 September 2005 12:20]

brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS. i got questions too Mon, 05 September 2005 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
something else to note, RA60 rear sway bars go straight into RA40's you just need to weld the plate onto the diff (or use RA60 diff) fir the diff --> sway bar mount.

my RA40 already had the holes for the braket to bolt to the chassis Confused

my MX13 F series diff is also nearly done, i dont think i will put it fully together until i got a MA61 LSD though
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS. i got questions too Mon, 05 September 2005 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I saw you talking to lindsey stone the engine about it out the track, what did he have to say? Would he be all cool about it?
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS. i got questions too Mon, 05 September 2005 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Turbo_Tim wrote on Mon, 05 September 2005 20:31

I saw you talking to lindsey stone the engine about it out the track, what did he have to say? Would he be all cool about it?

yes, ive been in contact with him a couple times before (over phone) and decided to meet him in person at the track.

he said it shouldnt be problem with the mod plate etc. so long as the brakes are up to scratch (4 pots + rear disks should be more than enough) and the pollution is still there and everything is neat and tidy (which it is) Smile

gotta make an appointment with him soon

brett
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS. i got questions too Mon, 05 September 2005 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
like the colour coded intake pipes... never thought to do that... i just wanna go with a clean polished look... but i like, only thing i'd have done differently, would be to mask off the "toyota" and "twin turbo, intercooled" badges...

i managed to find one of those braces at the local motor importers... after ringing just about everyone in brisbane... can't believe how hard it is to find parts for these things!
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS. i got questions too Mon, 05 September 2005 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i havent finished painting the pipes yet , they still need more coats. im using this annodising type paint, looks good although its quite transparent.

cam covers and the other alloy turbo piping is the same colour.

and yes Razz , the badges are masked, the tape is still on them, probly just cant see in the photo Wink

i just roughly sat the IC pipes on there for a pic
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS. i got questions too Mon, 05 September 2005 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Laughing yeah... good work... defiatly good idea to mask that Razz Razz
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS. i got questions too Tue, 06 September 2005 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
update i guess

here are a couple pics of all the piping on and i must say im stoked with the colour. only ~$25 worth of paint but i think it suits the rest of the blue car.

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/1530/conversion00986rr.jpg

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/4269/conversion00976co.jpg

i had a funny incident happen while i was puttin the spark plug cover strip on. i had the 6 x star head bolts sitting in front of the windscreen and i grabbed them all at once, the thing is that one fell out of my hand and what do ya know it, fell straight into the rear turbo outlet No No No hehehe

i played around with magnets on wire etc but that didnt work so i got out the old trusty vacumm cleaner Laughing . i put it on the outlet and sucked away for a while. the vacumm just had enough power, then low and behold, the clankity clank as the bolt came out Laughing
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS. i got questions too Wed, 07 September 2005 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a blue house with a blue window.
blue is the colour of all that i wear.
blue are the streets and all the trees are blue.
i have a girlfriend and she is so blue.
blue are the people here that walk around,
blue like my celcia, and all that's inside.
blue are the words i say and what i think.
blue are the feelings that live inside me.

lol... i couldn't resist Laughing
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS. i got questions too Wed, 07 September 2005 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hickoz_bro wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 13:51

i have a blue house with a blue window.
blue is the colour of all that i wear.
blue are the streets and all the trees are blue.
i have a girlfriend and she is so blue.
blue are the people here that walk around,
blue like my celcia, and all that's inside.
blue are the words i say and what i think.
blue are the feelings that live inside me.

lol... i couldn't resist Laughing

Laughing Laughing hehehe hehehe

sif you'd want any other colour Razz

BLUE BLUE BLUE!!!!

hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS. i got questions too Wed, 07 September 2005 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Green dude... Green...

acctually on this topic i'm tossing up new colours for my car... re-spray is along way off, but still i wonder... my 2 options so far are Ford Envi Green, with more green tint (darker) and perhaps a bit more metallic flake... or Ford Mandarin Orange with a touch darker orange... and maybe some flames airbrushed in a lighter shade...
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS. i got questions too Sun, 11 September 2005 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IT RAN

Smile Smile

after making my surge tank and doing all the fuel system, i dodgily wired up the computer and cranked her over. i had all the right wires hooked up except one, after sorting that out, i cranked again and heard that first fire. i didnt have a radiator hooked up so i didnt run it longer than 15 secs.

now that i know everything is good, ill neaten up all wiring etc up

..now to do the IC piping

im stoked Smile

more pics soon
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS. i got questions too Sun, 11 September 2005 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
way to go dude... i kinda been following your conversion.. hoping i'd be done before you, since it seems like we're at similar stages... but mine is along way from running... hopefully i'll get my radiator installed tomorrow, got a PWR intercooler... will fit SOOO neatly between the lights... i'm stocked with that... can't wait to get it running!

hmmm well you've won the "get it started" race... how about the "get it on the road" race?? Razz

the battle may be won, but the war isn't over Laughing
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS. i got questions too Sun, 11 September 2005 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you do realise my car is already registered Razz and the only thing stopping me from taking it for a drive is;
-fit hilux/pegout/low springs/GZ20 master cyl
- IC piping

but then there is lots of time needed to reassemble aircon/fan units, guards, bonnet, etc etc.

photos of my home made surgie:
keep in mind it cost me NOTHING but time to make Wink
http://img346.imageshack.us/img346/1316/small19tr.jpg
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/7266/small23hi.jpg

hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS. i got questions too Sun, 11 September 2005 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol... my car is registered too... just not engineered, or running Rolling Eyes
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS. i got questions too Mon, 12 September 2005 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here are some photos of my VDO gauges.

~$130 worth for those 3, although it seems i may need the compatible senders (same resistance range) as they dont read what they should.

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/5156/gauges3wp.jpg
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion PICS. i got questions too Sun, 18 September 2005 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
after the first run, i knew there was a problem somewhere because it would go;

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhh, rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, duuuuuuuuuuuh ......etc

after hunting round i found the idle stepper motor was jammed open Confused i just pulled it apart and closed the valve and left the plug out Wink - something to sort out later

so now everything is sweet as Very Happy

here is a little video anyway Smile

excuse the ghetto plumbing, its just a PVC loop to run the engine while i wait for the IC to turn up Razz

video;
http://i1.zvhost.com/1/i/iedoji58.jpg
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion - **VIDEO** it runs Sun, 18 September 2005 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked i can't believe i've missed this thread

Well done on the conversion, im assuming your doing it by yourself (+mates)....Love the colour too Very Happy
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion - **VIDEO** it runs Sun, 18 September 2005 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dimmy77_03 wrote on Sun, 18 September 2005 22:55

Well done on the conversion, im assuming your doing it by yourself (+mates)

nah........just me (and a whinch Razz )
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion - **VIDEO** it runs Mon, 19 September 2005 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
love the turbo spool and the noise through the ghetto pipping! Very Happy
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion - **VIDEO** it runs Tue, 20 September 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
....let there be brakes.....,
....and there was brakes....,
Razz Razz

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/8344/brakessmall7tm.jpg

that, teamed up with the corona disks on the rear and a GZ20 master cylinder, should pull up well Very Happy

[Updated on: Tue, 20 September 2005 05:36]

brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion - **VIDEO** it runs Mon, 03 October 2005 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
car is engineered Smile

hickoz_bro you got nuthin Razz Wink
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion - **VIDEO** it runs Mon, 03 October 2005 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is how the brakes performed;

they probly could have done better - we only tested it once.

speed= 88.5km/h
stopping distance= 40.1M
deceleration average= 0.77G
deceleration max = 0.96G
MFDD (??)= 8.61m/s^2
time = 3.26secs
pedal effort = 342.4 N

that was with GZ20 master cylinder, RA23 booster, hilux/rona/peg setup and standard drums on the rear.

any1 got some figures from a newish car to compare with?

Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE into RA40. my conversion - **VIDEO** it runs Mon, 03 October 2005 20:58 Go to previous message
Congrats on getting it all going, I love the piping Smile

Just to give you something to compare with because I have my pink slip in front of me with brake test.
With 2 people in car and just the Rego guy doing the test (as can be seen with only 199N pedal force)

Speed=65.2km/h
Stopping
Dist 20.2m
Decel Avg 0.83g
Decel Max 1.08g
Time 2.23 sec
Pedal effort
max = 199.3N

Thats a Sprinter with RA60 front brakes and hilux drums on rear
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1j idle