Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Car still smokes (1JZGTE Oil)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Car still smokes (1JZGTE Oil) Wed, 17 August 2005 09:41 Go to next message
Hey guys,

Recenty put another motor in my car, althought it hasnt been tuned yet, it still smokes when I stop. This was the exact same issue I was having with the original motor. Could it be the turbos? Or could it be just lack of tuning??
Also, with this new motor, it someimes takes a while to kick over like 6-7 seconds. Could it be the fuel pump? Or starter motor? This also happened with the original motor.
  Send a private message to this user    
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car still smokes (1JZGTE Oil) Wed, 17 August 2005 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smoke when braking or stopping is valve stem seals.

Ive had 2 motors aswell both with this problem, first one 40,000km the second 80,000km. I would never consider putting another JZ in without doing the valve stem seals first, you thought I would have learnt after the first engine Rolling Eyes

With the slow kick over does your fuel pump prime the rail for a few seconds when you hit the ignition key?
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Car still smokes (1JZGTE Oil) Wed, 17 August 2005 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could be a turbo seal.
i had this exact problem, would blow masses of white smoke when i pulled up at the lights.
easy to tell, pull the piping off and lookm for oil.

[Updated on: Wed, 17 August 2005 10:22]

HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Car still smokes (1JZGTE Oil) Wed, 17 August 2005 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh my 1g was doing the same when i killed the oil seals on the turbos... i think the front one died? I can't remember.

Huge plumes of oil smoke Very Happy I was laughing so much while drivers behind me slowed down Wink New turbos, and all was sweet. You should have seen the oily watery mix on the exhaust side of the turbos... yuck!
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Car still smokes (1JZGTE Oil) Thu, 18 August 2005 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my 1JZ is doing the stop at the lights an smoke Sad

when I slow down I get this puff of white smoke come past my window, still pulls very very hard tho but it does chew a little amount of oil, im thinking it could be valve stems or turbos, i might go and pull some cooler piping off when I get home and check...

Do you have to remove the head to change the valve stem seals?
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: Car still smokes (1JZGTE Oil) Thu, 18 August 2005 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A guy i was chatting to the other day was dissatisfied with the oil his new bulldozer was using.. 60L in 70 hrs... when he started the oil consumption test it only had 100hrs on it..

and depending on the car.. you CAN do it i believe, but you are probably better off getting a full head job (titter) Smile

actually, i'd suggest it wasn't the valve stem seals.. seems to be one of those things people always suggest and it never is.. if your car has a BOV on it, i'd check for oil there.. if you changed the engine, but had the same turbos on it, statisticly speaking, i'd suggest it was the turbos

[Updated on: Thu, 18 August 2005 04:33]

Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car still smokes (1JZGTE Oil) Thu, 18 August 2005 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thing is in my experience of cars with screwed turbo seals they blow smoke under acceleration not braking.

In situations of braking (vacuum) the cylinders will pull the oily air past the screwed seals, I don't see under vacuum how the oil from turbo seals would be causing a problem???

Anyone wanna lend me a spare set of turbos so I can test?
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Car still smokes (1JZGTE Oil) Thu, 18 August 2005 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bov = rice

my car = anti rice

hence, my car = no bov

Razz

ill pull a pipe off when I get home and check it

if it is the turbos im not overly fussed as soon the arivial of something big and nasty will occur Smile
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: Car still smokes (1JZGTE Oil) Thu, 18 August 2005 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not even the factory bypass?

other one being the crank ventilation..

inlet side seals are easy to check for.. sadly exhaust side aren't...
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Car still smokes (1JZGTE Oil) Thu, 18 August 2005 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a factory bov

atmo = teh rice
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: Car still smokes (1JZGTE Oil) Thu, 18 August 2005 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check the inlet where it vents to see if its blowing oil out.. if its valve stem seals there won't be oil here, if its something else, there will be
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Car still smokes (1JZGTE Oil) Thu, 18 August 2005 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can the stock BOV have the problem? I did find one hose NOT attached on the BOV. Im thinking its the turbos too Sad
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Car still smokes (1JZGTE Oil) Thu, 18 August 2005 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shane I might be able to get you a good deal on a Turbo of the quivalent of a 3540 around 550-600hp with a manifold and external gate if youre interested
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: Car still smokes (1JZGTE Oil) Thu, 18 August 2005 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its not the BOv that has the problem, its just a convenient place to check for oil in the inlet..
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Car still smokes (1JZGTE Oil) Thu, 18 August 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr 1JZ, im interested dude.

Also, on the way home just then, i noticed, its usually when I use t he foot brake, it smokes, but if I slow down, and use the hand brake, it doesnt seem to do it....strange
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car still smokes (1JZGTE Oil) Thu, 18 August 2005 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I still reckon it's valve stem seals, sounds identical to mine, and I don't have any oil in my piping clean as a whistle. BTW my turbos have only done 40,000km.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Car still smokes (1JZGTE Oil) Thu, 18 August 2005 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
let me find out how much the turbo kits are worth and ill get back to you...

shane would you be keen even if your turbos arent farked?
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Car still smokes (1JZGTE Oil) Thu, 18 August 2005 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KOFFEE-BLACK wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 17:37

Also, on the way home just then, i noticed, its usually when I use t he foot brake, it smokes, but if I slow down, and use the hand brake, it doesnt seem to do it....strange

There is a input to the ECU (At least on my JZZ30 ECU) with a STOP/brake signal...reading the toyota technical manual lists it as as a minor sensor used for deceleration de-enrichment (as far as I could gather).

I'm not sure if you have that connected/wired, or if it's playing a part or? lol

Cheers
Wilbo
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car still smokes (1JZGTE Oil) Fri, 19 August 2005 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wilbo666 wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 18:57

KOFFEE-BLACK wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 17:37

There is a input to the ECU (At least on my JZZ30 ECU) with a STOP/brake signal...reading the toyota technical manual lists it as as a minor sensor used for deceleration de-enrichment (as far as I could gather).

I'm not sure if you have that connected/wired, or if it's playing a part or? lol

Cheers
Wilbo

Not unless it injects oil Very Happy
Mofo III
Regular

March 2004

Re: Car still smokes (1JZGTE Oil) Sat, 20 August 2005 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine smoked very lightly on idle when it was warm, that being said there were days when it was good (didnt smoke) and days when it was bad (smoked every set of lights). most commonly at a set of lights you could just see a woft of smoke pass your review mirrors, very embarrassing. never smoked on accell, never smoke on cold start, only on idle after a drive. kicking its ass or driving it soft didnt change a thing.
did VSS's, did turbos, still had same problem. bypassed drivers side oil breather, still did it. this drove me nuts for ages and i ran out of things to do. then car came off road fitted set of custom twin dumps and new exhaust, pulled ALL intercooler plumbing off and i mean everything including alloys, rubber and plastic piping off. it ALL got degreased (there was a thin film of oil in most of it) then i washed it with warm soapy water and a high pressure cleaner.

its been back on the road for a few months now, its since been on dynos, 25 laps around wanners and countless thrashing and im so f*cking relieved to say i have not had one hint of smoke since.

if you were to ask me what fixed it, i couldnt tell you because i carried out multiple tasks to help the problem.
if i had to guess i would say the twin dumps did it. i dont know why cause the turbos were rebuilt with steel wheels ages ago when it was still smoking, so seals should have been new.

anyway im just happy its gone.

oh and boost has jumped from 10.5psi to 13.5psi and its still sweet.

[Updated on: Sat, 20 August 2005 02:26]

Mofo III
Regular

March 2004

Re: Car still smokes (1JZGTE Oil) Sun, 21 August 2005 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it appears i have jinxed myself for stating the aforementioned w/o touching wood.
yesterday i noticed a bit of smoke wofting from the back upon idle after a long drive... very dissapointed, probably starting to do it now the weathers hotting up a bit. i dunno.

KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Car still smokes (1JZGTE Oil) Sun, 21 August 2005 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mofo III wrote on Sun, 21 August 2005 18:09

it appears i have jinxed myself for stating the aforementioned w/o touching wood.
yesterday i noticed a bit of smoke wofting from the back upon idle after a long drive... very dissapointed, probably starting to do it now the weathers hotting up a bit. i dunno.

bahahahah, sorry to laugh, but thats ironic man!

Ok, Im going to get the intercooler replumbed, so maybe it might fix it, but I doubt it. I think its the turbo seals, it was on the dyno yesterday, and when letting off the accelerator, thats when the smoke would come out. Pulled 231rwkw on 15psi tho.

On my old engine (Which was missing gaskets (Exhaust/turbos) thermostat) made 179rwkw on stock boost, this motor made 192rwkw!! Fark, what a difference exhaust/turbo gaskets make.
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Car still smokes (1JZGTE Oil) Sun, 21 August 2005 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane
If this is my old engine you're running now, it's only starting to warm up at that boost/rwkw Smile

On the oil/smoke front, make sure it runs synthetic 10W30, you warm it up for 5 mins before driving it and another few mins cruising before fanging it and you shouldn't get any smoke from this engine (rings or vss) - it only ever smoked with the stock turbos when I got it 6 years ago and for the last 5 with hybrid turbos it was a very clean running engine with no sign of smoke.

Check also that the PCV valve is setup properly!!

[Updated on: Sun, 21 August 2005 12:41]

KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Car still smokes (1JZGTE Oil) Sun, 21 August 2005 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manny wrote on Sun, 21 August 2005 19:16

Shane
If this is my old engine you're running now, it's only starting to warm up at that boost/rwkw Smile

On the oil/smoke front, make sure it runs synthetic 10W30, you warm it up for 5 mins before driving it and another few mins cruising before fanging it and you shouldn't get any smoke from this engine (rings or vss) - it only ever smoked with the stock turbos when I got it 6 years ago and for the last 5 with hybrid turbos it was a very clean running engine with no sign of smoke.

Check also that the VSV valve is setup properly!!

Manny, it is your motor. I can tell you have looked after this, its definatley the turbos Sad Well see How I go tommorow At wakefield! Thanks!
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car still smokes (1JZGTE Oil) Mon, 22 August 2005 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much smoke are you guys talking? I get a very visible cloud, when I look in my rearvision it looks pretty bad. It's that bad im not sure it will pass final inspection after the engineering Confused

The thing common to my 2 smoking engines has been the turbos. Thing is it has been a bit worse on my second engine than my first. Im starting to seriously think it's the turbos and not VSS.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Car still smokes (1JZGTE Oil) Mon, 22 August 2005 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
simple solution Wink

GT3540 Wink
Mofo III
Regular

March 2004

Re: Car still smokes (1JZGTE Oil) Mon, 22 August 2005 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WHEN it does smoke, its thin transparent white smoke. sometimes mistaken for steam. its never so thick you cant see thru it.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Car still smokes (1JZGTE Oil) Mon, 22 August 2005 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another vote for PCV valve setup here. They can be really random but when not working will cause heaps of smoke when standing for ages (like when going through a drive-through).

Using 10W30 seems to help as well.
Mofo III
Regular

March 2004

Re: Car still smokes (1JZGTE Oil) Mon, 22 August 2005 04:13 Go to previous message
someone explain the pcv system... is that the little black line running from passenger rocker cover to manifold??

im running 10w60
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4age and 3sge cranks
Next Topic:Cannon????
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:26:34 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006601095199585 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.