Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Xinx
Regular

December 2003
Loose Sprinter Mon, 27 June 2005 02:15 Go to next message
Can someone help me identify what I need to fix this? Here the situation, when I’m driving along in the Sprinter with my foot down on the accelerator and suddenly back off I get this loose feeling like the car body is not tightly attach to the chassis.

I know that older car have this problem, as my mini has the same problem but I never got around to fixing it. I’m guessing it might be one of the suspension bushes or could it be the engine mount? Can anyone help?

Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Loose Sprinter Mon, 27 June 2005 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

the car body is not tightly attach to the chassis

The sprinter is a monocoque design, the body is not bolted to the chassis like a hilux or such.

The loose clunk you speak of will originate from the driveline.

It may be backlash in within the gear set of your gear box which will require a rebuild and parts to rectify.

It may be your tail shaft uni-joints are fubar (replace them, climb under the car and grab the tailshaft to see if it has play)

It may be backlash in you differential gears

The above are the most common causes of the "loose clunk" feeling when lifting off the pedal.

Other sources of loose clunk can be broken or worn or loose gearbox mounts and broken or worn or loose engine mounts.

If you lift your car off the ground, support it correctly on stands, put it in gear (do not have the car running) and slide under the car, you should be able to determine which part of the driveline has most of the play by trying to rotate the tailshaft, you may have to disconnect it from the diff for a better diagnosis.
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Loose Sprinter Mon, 27 June 2005 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its called Backlash, and its either in the gearbox, diff or driveshafts. Driveshafts and diff are easier to fix (replace/rebuild), gearbox costs more. Just keep the oil up to it till you can afford a rebuild.

Edit;
sorry my bad, I meant Tailshafts. Rolling Eyes I confuse myself so easily sometimes Laughing

[Updated on: Mon, 27 June 2005 04:17]

ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Loose Sprinter Mon, 27 June 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

driveshafts

He said it's an old sprinter, so we might assume AE86, if so it is a live axle rear end and will not have CV joints on the ends of the driveshafts. We don't want to confuse the guy. Wink

His mini would have had driveshafts though Very Happy
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Loose Sprinter Mon, 27 June 2005 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or the bolts holding the 2 tailshaft parts together or tailshaft to diff. If they're loose they can cause these symptoms too.
Xinx
Regular

December 2003
Re: Loose Sprinter Mon, 27 June 2005 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank guys,

I've actually gone under the car and check for driveline play already and there seem to be a bit of play on the tailshaft, but then again it could be the diff. How much free-play is normal should there be any tailshaft play at all?
SEXY 16
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Loose Sprinter Mon, 27 June 2005 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if it feels like the car was a boat swaying from the rear at reasonable speed then i think it is the rear sway bar bushes from personal experiance
paul
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Loose Sprinter Mon, 27 June 2005 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
panhard rod? letting the diff flop around sideways?
SEXY 16
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Loose Sprinter Mon, 27 June 2005 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Mon, 27 June 2005 13:55

yeah thats the 1
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Loose Sprinter Mon, 27 June 2005 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
loose sprinter ay rear end you say gay Very Happy No seriosly check bushes and panhard rod as suggested
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Loose Sprinter Mon, 27 June 2005 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not sure what the ass end of a sprinter loosk like, but it may be a cracked trailing arm ect ect, my mate has broken a few in his ST141, feels like u r constantly drifting one way when u accelerate, then when u back off it tank slaps Confused
Xinx
Regular

December 2003
Re: Loose Sprinter Mon, 22 August 2005 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Mon, 27 June 2005 13:55

if it feels like the car was a boat swaying from the rear at reasonable speed then i think it is the rear sway bar bushes from personal experiance

This didn't happen at the time I started this topic, but now the car back end feels like its loose. When I make a shape turn or a gradual turn at high speed left or right you would get the normal body roll plus I get this feeling like the body of the car slide/sway across as well.

So is it fair to assume that either the swaybar or the panhard bushes is fu*k? I'm kinda hope that its not the upper/lower trailing arm bushes as they're kinda expensive to buy.

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Loose Sprinter Mon, 22 August 2005 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
put the car up on stands, get underneath it and wiggle shit around and inspect CLOSELY with a torch...
something is rooted and you have to find it...

or it's just normal Spoontah suspension Razz
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Loose Sprinter Mon, 22 August 2005 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there's nothing super dodgy abotu the body? like beaing made from two different spoontahs perhaps?
Xinx
Regular

December 2003
Re: Loose Sprinter Mon, 22 August 2005 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've looked around and give all the bits that connect the diff to the body of car a good shake. Nothing seem to be loose the only thing I can see is the rubber bush on the panhard rod cracked abit, but not enough to be loose. So I don't really know.

Quote:

there's nothing super dodgy abotu the body? like beaing made from two different spoontahs perhaps?

Not that I know of, the diff make a fair bit of clunk though...
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Loose Sprinter Mon, 22 August 2005 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i huess next thign is to actually remove all the parts and inspect off the car, check if any of the suspension arms/diff housing are cracked...... and replace any bushes that look suspect...

did you check that the actual mounts to the diff and body, for the panhard rod, are not busted? could easily happen if it has ever been slid into a gutter..

any front suspension parts dodgy? loose? worn??

rip it all OFF the car and have a good look.. might take a weekend, but be worth it...
yrhkira
Regular

June 2005
Re: Loose Sprinter Mon, 22 August 2005 05:59 Go to previous message
Xinx

I agree with oldcorollas.

If you have been checking for loose or broken parts with the suspension under load (ie the weight of the car) you may not find anything.

The problem as described could well be one or more worn or broken/collapsed control arm bushes.

Under acceleration the diff moves one way and aligns the rear wheels in one direction.

Under deceleration or braking the diff moves the other and the rear wheels point in another direction.

Torque steer at the rear.

Regards

Rodger
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:i have a 89 corola seca and i want to supercharge it
Next Topic:***Important list on petrol stuff***
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 16:02:43 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068528652191162 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar