Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Rona_Drifter
Regular

March 2005
Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Sun, 07 August 2005 09:27 Go to next message
Hey has anyone done, or heard of a cheap turbine setup that people knock up on engines to get more power? Like i heard this one story that this dude rig'ed up a turbine off some deisel onto his standard old carby 4 banger and didn't touch anything internaly... Ran like 10 pound boost and got some impressive power gains... for the amount of work that went into it ofcourse.
It sounds pretty simple.
Is it?
Any Experiences people?
  Send a private message to this user    
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Sun, 07 August 2005 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it does work , but its a big risk , and its not quiet as simple as that, alot of other shit would be needed... oil/water lines , turbo manifold , beter cooloing , dump pipe , exhaust , fuel pump (maybe), ecu (maybe) efi will run low boost on stock ecu ,new random shit , piping , new inelt manifold for carby, and on and on and on the list goes Razz but if your handy with a welder etc or know someone who is and handy with a spanner it can be done pretty damn cheap...

and then your engine may not like the increased heat /pressure etc and might blow then youll need a new one Razz

[Updated on: Sun, 07 August 2005 09:33]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Sun, 07 August 2005 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Off topic, but whats with this "BOONDALL BACKYARD PERFORMANCE" crap?
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Sun, 07 August 2005 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Sun, 07 August 2005 19:39

Off topic, but whats with this "BOONDALL BACKYARD PERFORMANCE" crap?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

errmm.. back on topic. sure plenty of people have had great sucess with ghetto turbo conversions on many different engines, either EFI or carby set-ups. then again some people havnt had sucess.
what sort of engine are you thinking of trying it on?
the turbo conversion itself IMO is simple, it's getting to run right with-out popping that you have to be careful with. Wink
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Sun, 07 August 2005 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
me and stitt saw some dirty old rodeo rock up in the que at wsid and were suprised when he popped the bonet.
he had what i rember as a $300?? turbo setup?
just wacked a turbo he got off a mate or a cousin and had a blow through carby setup with a holley i think it was.
looked like fun!
MX73_drifter
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Sun, 07 August 2005 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my mate made a turbo setup for his ga16 n14 pulsar for 500 bucks
my mates also thinkin of turboing a 5mge (i don't see the point)
so yes u can
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Sun, 07 August 2005 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think wat it boils down too is people wanting to be different... because everyone is doing the same thig so they think hey y not do this n this to b different.... i noe i have-when construction a go kart for school project... not a bush basher nor is it a road roarer.... its a barstool racerwhich a twitch....

so yeah... but i have seen a fair few suck a blow through systems on stock motors... i remember seeing one on a old subaru a 1983 wagon... was a sick through and was quite effective.
Rona_Drifter
Regular

March 2005
Re: Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Tue, 09 August 2005 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well my corona engine is a 2S-C non-crossflow and I've been toying with the idea to wack a turbine on it and run low boost which is why a diesel one suits the description. I can weld and i own a set of tools Cool Just one thing though, running pressure through my carb wouldn't work i don't think, wouldn't it stuff the jet fuel flow? So I was thinking of bolting the carb before the turbine... But that wouldn't be very efficient Sad wouldn't the fuel evaporate before it got to the cylinders seeing as its gotta travel so far!!? Smile I'm joking, but Ya can't say that the air fuel mix would be very good after it goes through the turbine. I reckon you would hav an extremely lean idle. Wat does everyone else think?

I'll add some (Well Illustrated) pictures to help explain

http://show.imagehosting.us/show/534566/0/nouser_534/T0_-1_534566.JPG

http://show.imagehosting.us/show/534594/0/nouser_534/T0_-1_534594.JPG

http://show.imagehosting.us/show/534624/0/nouser_534/T0_-1_534624.JPG

[Updated on: Tue, 09 August 2005 09:07]

brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Tue, 09 August 2005 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Laughing
funny shit
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Tue, 09 August 2005 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
very odd child
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Tue, 09 August 2005 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rona_Drifter wrote on Tue, 09 August 2005 17:23

Well my corona engine is a 2S-C non-crossflow

Yep 2S-C = NON-crossflow.

This means the inlet and exhuast are on the same side of the engine...might want to take another crack at you 'well illustrated' diagrams Wink

Razz

Cheers
Wilbo

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Tue, 09 August 2005 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
having (stupidly) gone down the path of turbo+carbi on a non-crossflow motor - and i now foolishly continue down that path with efi and a little more wisdom - can i offer some words of encouragement?

dont!

it's a right royal PITA to do, to work on and to tune ... and apart from the highway and windy road moments, it will spend a lot of time being fixed, improved, repaired or towed home.

having said that, you probably want to do something like this:
http://members.optushome.com.au/mkhala/red_celica/pictures/car_45.jpg

so you need a manifold that looks kind alike this (but unlike mine, don't join the intake & zorst sides to tdhe one plate.
http://members.optushome.com.au/mkhala/red_celica/pictures/car07-custom-manifold.jpg

and you 'll need a carbi ( sorry, sold mine)
http://members.optushome.com.au/mkhala/red_celica/pictures/car23-carb-not-plumbed.jpg

plus some kind of turbo (this was too big for my car)
http://members.optushome.com.au/mkhala/red_celica/pictures/car22-turbo_wastegate.jpg

and you'll have to muck around with the dizzi advance and the timing in general otherwise it'll ping/detonate itself to death.

oh.. the motor really needs to have compression reduced somehow or you'll kill it quickly. Mine was rebuilt to suit turbo-ing, including machining out heads to lower compression.

... you'll then discover that this isn't cheap conversion after all.
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Tue, 09 August 2005 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bah. I wanna take the 4K-C I pulled out of my KE70 and add a T2 turbo from one of those E15ET N12 Nissan Pulsars. Stock compression is 8.5:1. Remove the advance mechanism from the distributor, drive it till it dies in ... I dunno, some KE## thing.
Rona_Drifter
Regular

March 2005
Re: Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Tue, 09 August 2005 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whatever! I still reckon my pictures look better!! haha Laughing OK well what your describing was a "proper" conversion, I'm talking about running low boost on standard compression internals, maybe one day just before the end of its rego wind the boost up and flog the absolout tits off it. And You have a side draught carbie there, But it should be doable the standard down draught carb, Ya just have to rig it so it sits in the normal upright position. *Refer to Scene 1*

Whoa fully sick check out the tyre smoke man! hahaha
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Tue, 09 August 2005 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rona_Drifter wrote on Tue, 09 August 2005 15:23

[size=3][font=Arial]Well my corona engine is a 2S-C non-crossflow and I've been toying with the idea to wack a turbine on it and run low boost which is why a diesel one suits the description.

Where did you get this low boost diesel stuff from? Diesels usually run 2 bar or more, 3 bar common.
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Wed, 10 August 2005 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And also don't diesel turbos use different seals or something
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Wed, 10 August 2005 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Basically you are asking if you should do a "blow thru" or "suck thru" carby turbo setup?

There's plenty of info here and on performance forums about this topic, but since you don't really have much idea about what to do and how to go about it I recommend that you don't bother trying.

Surely a 1g-gte could be had pretty cheaply for the rona? How ghetto do you plan to make it?

AFAIK diesel turbos generally have larger exhaust housings so don't spool up that quickly.

If you were going to try it, there's heaps of cheap nissan turbos to use.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Wed, 10 August 2005 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
even easier than the 1ggte would be a 3tgte, source parts from a TT142 front cut and it'd literally bolt in.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Wed, 10 August 2005 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can't you put a holden red 6 into a corona? I recall a thread about it a while ago. You can pick up a warm 202 or 186 pretty damn cheaply these days, it'd go a lot harder than a rooted 2s-c with a turbo!

Trully bogan dorifto!
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Wed, 10 August 2005 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fucks the weight distribution though and so does the 1ggte, hence the 3tgte would be cool, build it uo for lots of boost yay.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Wed, 10 August 2005 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lumpy wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 13:12

Can't you put a holden red 6 into a corona? I recall a thread about it a while ago. You can pick up a warm 202 or 186 pretty damn cheaply these days, it'd go a lot harder than a rooted 2s-c with a turbo!

Trully bogan dorifto!

they go right into XT130 coronas, can even use the flywheel, bellhousing and gearbox if its a manual, me and a mate did a conversion using a red motor in 12 hours...it was dodgey (i.e. radiator infront of the rad support) but goddamn it went a shitload faster than the poo ass starfire jobbie Very Happy
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Wed, 10 August 2005 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 13:14

fucks the weight distribution though and so does the 1ggte, hence the 3tgte would be cool, build it uo for lots of boost yay.

Put a couple of bags of cement into the boot to get the golden 50:50 back again! Maybe some loose bricks to add momentum to the back end as it swings out Laughing

In the ghetto.......
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Wed, 10 August 2005 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1JZ wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 15:09

they go right into XT130 coronas, can even use the flywheel, bellhousing and gearbox if its a manual, me and a mate did a conversion using a red motor in 12 hours...it was dodgey (i.e. radiator infront of the rad support) but goddamn it went a shitload faster than the poo ass starfire jobbie Very Happy

Stylish! Classy! Truly worthy of Corona-hood!!

Now most people are building fast 6's from jap turbo engines, there are heaps of old red motors looking forlorn (and selling cheap). They can go pretty hard and would be a shitload of fun.

Hmmm triple stromberged, big cam, yella terra headed red six old-schooly goodness. Razz
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Wed, 10 August 2005 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you ain't seen nothing to you see a ke 30-55 corolla i think with a 202 in it stock suspension and locked diff try to drift wakefield park, it was lifting the inside rear at some stages. Radiator sat infront of bumper bar and was covered in mesh to keep bugs out.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Wed, 10 August 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lumpy wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 15:40

MR 1JZ wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 15:09

Stylish! Classy! Truly worthy of Corona-hood!!

Now most people are building fast 6's from jap turbo engines, there are heaps of old red motors looking forlorn (and selling cheap). They can go pretty hard and would be a shitload of fun.

Hmmm triple stromberged, big cam, yella terra headed red six old-schooly goodness. Razz

whole car cost $35 to build

rego cost $175...

we only paid $10 for the motor Laughing

it was sold about 3 weeks later for $800

the guy loved it
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Wed, 10 August 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1JZ wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 15:39

lumpy wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 13:12

Trully bogan dorifto!

LOL, from one crap Holden motor to a slightly longer, but also crap, holden motor Laughing Laughing Laughing
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Wed, 10 August 2005 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah cant say manufacturers made dozens of carbi turbo cars... for a good reason. these days jap engines are so cheap anyway it will work out to be less to do a jap conversion than tow the carbi turbo beast home every week. that and they run low boost with the carbi overly rich anyway dont they?
Rona_Drifter
Regular

March 2005
Re: Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Wed, 10 August 2005 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah, well you've talked me out of it. I'll just save the money and buy somethin that chucks good skids, maybe an avante and then fit a 1G into it, better yet... Buy an avante with a 1ggte in it! Not too many around though Confused

By the way, I am aware that "non-crossflow" means that all the shit's on one side, its just way easier to draw the diagram in "crossflow" format.
Wezelton
Regular

July 2004
Re: Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Fri, 19 August 2005 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your after cheap thrills, buy a 22re half cut.. My ra60 copped a 22re, go farkin hard.. good old NSD (NoSlipDiff aka Locker) winds more lock than most of the boosted skylines and silvias around town.. 2.4L's of injected carnage
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Fri, 19 August 2005 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wezelton wrote on Fri, 19 August 2005 22:52

If your after cheap thrills, buy a 22re half cut.. My ra60 copped a 22re, go farkin hard.. good old NSD (NoSlipDiff aka Locker) winds more lock than most of the boosted skylines and silvias around town.. 2.4L's of injected carnage

yeah..

sounds like a real weapon Rolling Eyes
Rona_Drifter
Regular

March 2005
Re: Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Sat, 20 August 2005 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah sorry but the "weapon" factor on the whole 22re thang sounds like its running a lil short. Its not exactly THAT cheap and easy, still gotta do things like exhaust, computer, wiring looms, tailshaft.. etc. all the shiznit ya doin on an engine conversion, plus wreckers up here r gay and expencive. I'll stick with the idea of the "2S-TE" I'm half way through planning it. (I wonder if its a first? Shocked ) In that case I'll feel special Very Happy
Wezelton
Regular

July 2004
Re: Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Sat, 20 August 2005 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr 1jz.. do you slide ? i'd guess not.. but even if you did, it would be basic power out from corners... If you have ever driven a decent NA drift car you'd know the fun, plus you'd maybe be a half decent driver and also appreciate NA.. but your just a show pony who loves to hit a lil boost to "look cool" sorry to have to say it but hey.. you did ask for it Wink

Rona Drifter.. The 22re was cheap for me cos i had a spare celica layin round lol goes good tho, fast enough for racing i guess, but definetly sweet for drift.. i might also note that i've driven HEAPS of cars and yes the 22re is good enough.. feels better than a 4age hachi even tho i lord them too... if you get that 2s-te goin post up pics! my mate boosted a 18r i think it was, suck thu carbi turbo.. man fuck it when hard as hell! leaked fuel out the carbi tho.. i loved it, but it was definetly an expencive route to take.. maybe just buy a nos kit and punish it through your motor for a laugh hehe could be fun Wink
good to see you wanna shred the old school too!!
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Sun, 21 August 2005 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wezelton wrote on Sun, 21 August 2005 04:19

Mr 1jz.. do you slide ? i'd guess not..

looks as MR 1JZ's avatar and laughs Razz
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Sun, 21 August 2005 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wezelton wrote on Sun, 21 August 2005 03:49

Mr 1jz.. do you slide ? i'd guess not.. but even if you did, it would be basic power out from corners... If you have ever driven a decent NA drift car you'd know the fun, plus you'd maybe be a half decent driver and also appreciate NA.. but your just a show pony who loves to hit a lil boost to "look cool" sorry to have to say it but hey.. you did ask for it Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

yeah man im the power over king Laughing

[Updated on: Sun, 21 August 2005 04:42]

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Sun, 21 August 2005 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh and for the record, I started sliding with an auto 1G with less than average KYB super Street shocks...

90rwkw doesnt prove for much power over....
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Cheap, Quick Turbo Setup Mon, 22 August 2005 05:18 Go to previous message
You need a big carby some fuel/hose pipes also some steel pipes and plates.

(*)make and an inlet manifold out of pipe then take your inlet manifold gasket to a metal shop and get the to cut out a piece of metal plate using the gasket as a template.

Then weld up your intake manifold pipes to the steel plate.

Repeat (*) with the exhaust gasket and bolt the turbo between.
hook up an oil line going in and a return oil line.
Add a cheap bleed valve and u should be set.

this was pretty much how the 2s-cT i had was set up.

Mookie
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:why dont we have these?
Next Topic:Seat retrimming & bolstering?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 09:20:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0089418888092041 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.