Toymods » General Car Talk » I wanna talk about resale/second hand car values

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
I wanna talk about resale/second hand car values Mon, 22 August 2005 08:27 Go to next message
Just the other day me and the missus went down to the local Nissan used car lot to see the 1991 Celica st184r they had there.

$8990 was there asking price and the car drove very well with a new clutch installed but the rest of it wasnt really good condition, very average actually. Had 234,000kms on it.

Wat really shitted me (to the brink of killing some bastard)was the trade-in value of our 1996 V6 Magna.

Fukin $3000 is a joke even thou it is quoted that price in the "Redbook".

We brought it for $22,000 barely 4 yrs ago.

But wat i wanna know is who/wat sets these second hand value's.

Cheers

Steve
  Send a private message to this user    
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: I wanna talk about resale/second hand car values Mon, 22 August 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
who/what determines the second hand values are people who when they buy the car, ask the seller to write a lower price so that they have to pay less fees when they transfer the rego, this give this the car a lower market value so you screw yourself really.
trade ins are a ripoff anyway, unless your car is on its last legs and about to die then trade ins are great Wink
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: I wanna talk about resale/second hand car values Mon, 22 August 2005 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fuck $3000, i reckon you could sell it for heaps more privately Nod

btw, please no one bring teh spoontahs into this! Laughing
Sprinter-Saurus
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: I wanna talk about resale/second hand car values Mon, 22 August 2005 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's why for the term of my natural life I have vowed to never, never, ever buy a new car from a dealer, the depreciation rates are a joke, and a majority of the time the build quality is no where near that of most of our old classic Toyota's.

My parents bought a VT Commdore second hand a few years back, they got it cheaper than what it was because my old man knew the car dealer, but it was still in the low 20k mark, now you'd be lucky to get 10/12k for it. You can buy an Aus-Spec shitter Sprinter, throw some wheels on it and lower the suspension, whack a turbo on the side of a 4a, and with a decent painjob and some other goodies and bits and pieces you can get between 10-15k. Now THAT'S what you call value. Very Happy Cool

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: I wanna talk about resale/second hand car values Mon, 22 August 2005 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe its because Magna drivers are skilled enough to do this sort of thing to their car Very Happy

http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/8281/image0046ew.jpg
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: I wanna talk about resale/second hand car values Mon, 22 August 2005 13:32 Go to previous message
FKN16V wrote on Mon, 22 August 2005 18:27

Wat really shitted me (to the brink of killing some bastard)was the trade-in value of our 1996 V6 Magna.

Fukin $3000 is a joke even thou it is quoted that price in the "Redbook".

We brought it for $22,000 barely 4 yrs ago.

But wat i wanna know is who/wat sets these second hand value's.

steve,

try <www.redbook.com.au> for researching trade prices for used cars - also <www.glassguide.com.au>.

a guy at my work went to trade in a Magna v6 (unsure of year) to buy a Territory (they got a brand-new family so they wanted a shopping centre car). He was offered so little for it, he sold it privately for about $3k to a guy at work. Given the minimal dollar outlay, it is jokingly referred to as the drift-saloon as it now gets treated according to the purchase price.

Is what you get with generic, mass-produced cars - it's cheaper (in the short term) to buy a new shitbox than keep your existing car or hang onto a car to get a reasonable life out of it.

There is also confusion over the 'value' of a car and it's purchase price - the later often being set by demand, fashion and market manipulation and the former is often seen as set by an abitrary and linearly depreciating scale when in reality is also subject to market whim, quality and scarecity.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Hey all New to forum.
Next Topic:fwd toyota
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:25:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053150653839111 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.