Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
pedro2
Newcomer

August 2005
changing engines Sat, 20 August 2005 14:29 Go to next message
This my first time on you site and I hopeing that you can help me, I am restoreing a 1985 toyota commuter bus lwb into a camper van etc it has the old leaded 3y engin, 5 speed g boxes it is 1998cc and I wish to power up with a fuel injected engin running on unleaded or deasale etc at least to 3 litre either 4 cyc or v6 engine.

I have been serching the net for sometime and can not find any information on this coversion and any sites as to the toyota commuter bus 1985 model etc.

I will hope that your forum can help me .

with thanks from

Pedro Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
jzx83
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: changing engines Sat, 20 August 2005 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, are we talking HiAce Commuter, seats about 13 + driver, and is wider longer version of HiAce, or are we talking Coaster, seats around 20 to 30, and has more in common with Dyna truck and Landcruiser ute?

Given you mention 3Y donk, it sounds more like the large HiAce. Have seen several threads around looking at what can be done into HiAces, apparently they are popular with motorcyclists for transporting their bikes around. Presumably (but not definitely) the small and large versions of the HiAce are similar in terms of whats in there now, and what it would be possible to put in there. Basically, the sky's the limit if you have the dosh, if not then that will help narrrow it down. The more ways the new engine varies from a perfect fit, the more fiddling/engineering will be involved, and the more it will cost. Do a search on Hiace. May pay to check out http://www.performanceforums.com as it may have been there that I saw a lot of this stuff.

Personally, my dream motorhome would probably be a ten year old Coaster, possibly with 2JZ-GTE or 1UZ. But that is probably five to ten years away anyway. I need to pay off some real estate first.
pedro2
Newcomer

August 2005
Re: changing engines Mon, 22 August 2005 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for your post the Hi ace is a 1985 15 seat commuter bus lwb it has a 1998cc leaded Toyota engine in it and 5 speed manual gearbox within, the motor has haded and the body is under full restoration and is very clean, as I have done several vans up over the years this is my first toyota small bus unit,

I have a full restore urvan 1985 lwb standard roof and the new project has a high roof with a lot more room the urvan is fitted with unleaded efi motor the urvan is good with all its mod cons but it lacks space and now the Toyota will give me a lot more room for I'm going to travel around our country as you would understand all the vans and busses from that era were badly under powered and are very slow on mountains and when need to over take on the road they leave you very flat if you need to pass in safely.

my concerns are as to what is allowed and and what the forum would suggest and that the present gear box and differential would handle the upgrade to a 3 litre engine fuel injected or should i go with different gear box like auto and change the diff and would I have to increase breaking etc.

I will hope you can help me and again I thankyou for your post.

Pedro.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: changing engines Mon, 22 August 2005 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they are big chunky little vans.. what do they weighh??

have you considered doing a 4L lexus V8 (1UZ) using the auto box (that they all come with anyway)

would definitely make for a better bus than any 3L and they are not that exxy..

if you have 70x70x70cm to work with.. you can make it fit Wink

go oon, you know you want to Very Happy
pedro2
Newcomer

August 2005
Re: changing engines Mon, 22 August 2005 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your post old corollas,

the hi ace is heavy 2400 hdrw and what you said in your post would be nice but econnomy worries me a little, the problem I'm having is finding any information on coversions to these buses and about the ratio as to suit a bigger engine and would I have to change the breaking and suspension to suit the conversion.

the other problem is that due to being a commuter bus and to change it back to a camper van I will have to get an engineering report and this is a rip off $450.00 down here on the south coast nsw near Nowra, for the only change at present is taking out 13 seats and a new paint job,

and if I go to far with the powering up to a v8 as you said this may intail a lot of costs and more modifications etc.

People may wonder why I'm doing this restoration to this unit but I don't like the modern vans and when I have completted this van it will have all the modern cons within it, for I have won many prizes in shows with my other vans etc.
due to that I'm 51 this will be my last project and I'm going to travel north to see our country etc so I will have to decide which way to go or get advice from the forum here for this will help me

thank you again

Pedro Smile
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: changing engines Tue, 23 August 2005 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
new vans not sexy? Sad

http://iow.free.fr/Toyota%20Alphard.avi

[Updated on: Tue, 23 August 2005 07:51]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: changing engines Sat, 27 August 2005 18:20 Go to previous message
pedro2 wrote on Tue, 23 August 2005 01:47

Thanks for your post old corollas,

the hi ace is heavy 2400 hdrw and what you said in your post would be nice but econnomy worries me a little, the problem I'm having is finding any information on coversions to these buses and about the ratio as to suit a bigger engine and would I have to change the breaking and suspension to suit the conversion.

the other problem is that due to being a commuter bus and to change it back to a camper van I will have to get an engineering report and this is a rip off $450.00 down here on the south coast nsw near Nowra, for the only change at present is taking out 13 seats and a new paint job,

and if I go to far with the powering up to a v8 as you said this may intail a lot of costs and more modifications etc.

People may wonder why I'm doing this restoration to this unit but I don't like the modern vans and when I have completted this van it will have all the modern cons within it, for I have won many prizes in shows with my other vans etc.
due to that I'm 51 this will be my last project and I'm going to travel north to see our country etc so I will have to decide which way to go or get advice from the forum here for this will help me

thank you again

Pedro Smile

hmm, given that you will be trekking around the country, you need something that is efficient and will be ok to get a little hot....
i was just thinking the lexus donk as it will have enough torque to lug the van around, but it will still be reasonably good on fuel on the highway

2400kg is not light at all, and a 4 cyl would be terribly lethargic....

what about some of the newer turbo diesel motors?? torque, efficiency.. can get diesel pretty much anywhere, and can make biofuel if you are keen Razz hilux/landcruiser types???

hmm... camry V6 would be fairly compact and economical, but am not sure about RWD gearboxes..... they make the camry's go well and they are also not lightweights..

many options i guess... first thing is to wee how much space you have under there..

as for brakes etc... the bus is heavy and should have decent brakes.. you can always argue that bigger brakes are not needed, since a) it is a van... and b) you are still limited by the speed limit, and at your age you're not likely to be trying to race people in a van Razz

i'd lean toward the camry motor if a RWD box is available...
or a turbo diesel, as they are just good Smile

or the lexus V8, as they come in autos anyway, have great torque, and still have fairly good economy (they are a different league to the aussie V8's, but if you drive any motor hard, it will drink more).. given that the van is heavy and you will be lugging a fair amount of stuff around.. and having driven these types of buses before, i'd look toward the biggest motor that fits easily Wink

Cya, Stewart

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2tg/3tg oil pump question
Next Topic:1j questions
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 16:50:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058760643005371 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.