Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
AE92gze
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Genuine or non Genuine parts Fri, 19 August 2005 23:01 Go to next message
Hey,
I need to buy a new water pump and timing belt for my 4AGZE. My question is. Is it worth going genuine toyota parts or not? I mean i know the genuine parts are supposably of better quality, but is the extra price justified?
Thanks in advance
  Send a private message to this user    
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Genuine or non Genuine parts Fri, 19 August 2005 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What prices have you been quoted for both genuine & non-genuine?
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Genuine or non Genuine parts Fri, 19 August 2005 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with parts like those i wouldnt think twice about buying genuine... alot of aftermarket parts are good and alot are shit. a water pump etc is not something you want failing and destroying your engine or having to change it again

in most things genuine isnt a great deal more expensive.

[Updated on: Fri, 19 August 2005 23:26]

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Genuine or non Genuine parts Sat, 20 August 2005 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i only buy genuine when i can
otherwise if the too exxy or they cant get it ill go aftermarket
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Genuine or non Genuine parts Sat, 20 August 2005 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
typically smallport 4ag* waterpumps are ~$150 from toyota.... and around $80-120 in generic brand alternatives.

Timing belts are usually close to the same price from either... but toyota buy their belts from a very common belt company and then label them with a toyota part number, IIRC (well i know they do this with fan belts)
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: Genuine or non Genuine parts Sun, 21 August 2005 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm after owning a 162 (i know not a 4age and no real relevance to the thread at all)..anyway after replacing just about everything in the bloody thing ive found that toyota just tend enjoy ass raping proud and loyal toyota followers, front 3sge engine mount from toyota i was quoted $380...i ordered it..waited...waited and waited some more..end up buying an aftermarket for $60, finishing a rebuild of a 3sge, sticking it in the car..getting the car regoed, driving the car around for a month, killing the car again...buying a 165 and driving that around for 2 months before toyota call up out of the blue one day telling me my engine mount has just come in....all up about 11 months from the time i ordered it to the time they contacted me to tell me it was in...i was also quoted something like $300 for a timing belt from toyota that i picked upfor like $40-$50 aftermarket...thats just 2 examples of a million and one things ive priced...or howbout this...for my 165 $798 for a radiator fan MOTOR alone + quoted 3 month wait..god knows how long that would take considering the 11 month engine mount was only supposed to be a couple of weeks....fuck genuine and fuck toyota...they have lost my business, the only time i'll ever buy genuine now is if i cant get what i need aftermarket or second hand..hell i'll opt to get most stuff custom fabricated if need be to avoid dealing with toyota for parts /endrant
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Genuine or non Genuine parts Mon, 22 August 2005 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
some things i wouldnt consider buying from anyone else but toyota. things like water pumps oil filters and timing belts ive bought from aftermarket they all seem to do a good job and havent had an issue with them...
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: Genuine or non Genuine parts Mon, 22 August 2005 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
-=DV=- wrote on Sun, 21 August 2005 23:06

hmmm after owning a 162 (i know not a 4age and no real relevance to the thread at all)..

cut

with toyota for parts /endrant

You 162 is how old? Do you think they can still stock this item if it was only specific for a 162 and not interchangeable with a newer model?

I personally wouldn't think too much about going genuine over non unless there was a big price difference and a good performance difference.
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Genuine or non Genuine parts Mon, 22 August 2005 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think the age of your vehicle should matter. Toyota Australia are the fuckups here and not Toyota itself.

For example, Toyota Australia basically have nothing for the AE86 in stock unless it is a part that is shared with the AE71 or whatever. I go to Toyota and get all the part numbers I need fr the parts I want. I then email my mate in Japan the list and he walks down the road to his local Toyota place. He picks up the parts that afternoon and I have them within a week.

Toyota Australia is unable to do this as they don't have any mates in Japan................ Very Happy

Cheers
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: Genuine or non Genuine parts Mon, 22 August 2005 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You get overnight parts from Japan Youngy?
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Genuine or non Genuine parts Mon, 22 August 2005 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, it usually takes a couple of days. Less than a week though normally. I only buy Genuine parts if the part is something Toyota specific.
LeaThaL
Regular

June 2005
Re: Genuine or non Genuine parts Mon, 22 August 2005 23:40 Go to previous message
peeack wrote on Mon, 22 August 2005 22:23

You get overnight parts from Japan Youngy?

ohh i think that reply was "2Fast" Razz

but i can kinda agree there, Toyota Australia enjoy giving major prices cause their genuine where as my mates dad who works as their lead mech in my local dealership can get me the parts thru a higher sorce in a few days for half the price,

I was Quoted $110 for the front left mud flap, yes one single piece of plastic!! Confused

but at times genuine is good as berad said, if its something minor go aftermarker but engine pieces that are really important, i personly would go genuine Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Rigoli performance
Next Topic:Celica st165 crash video
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 13:20:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006464958190918 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.