Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Welding / Bogging holes in engine bay

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
NAJJE
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Welding / Bogging holes in engine bay Tue, 23 August 2005 09:58 Go to next message
All,

I am in the process of installing a 3T-GTE in my TA22.. I am stripping the engine bay back and have re routed the wiring loom through the gaurd and trying to neaten up the engine bay as much as possible.

My questions is...
I have only got an ARC welder and trying to weld up the holes that are no longer being used. (ITS A BITCH)

Do people weld these shut, or bog these in?

I am a bit worried that Bog will crack over time and my welder isn't the best for such thin material. Need TIG or MIG I think.

Any sugesstions would be great!

Rob
  Send a private message to this user    
rollin_stock
Regular

February 2005
Re: Welding / Bogging holes in engine bay Tue, 23 August 2005 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah ya need a mig, not tig (aluminium). if you want it to last dont bog em...
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Welding / Bogging holes in engine bay Tue, 23 August 2005 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u could allways use reallly really big rivets for that JDM drift look Laughing

Mig welder is the way to go, just spot it on dont hold it on too long and u should fill the holes, or cut a little bit of sheet up for the bigger start, then spot around hole at oposite ends, almost like doing a head up Smile
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Welding / Bogging holes in engine bay Tue, 23 August 2005 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can use a TIG, just a lot more work. Oxy or MIG are the go.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Welding / Bogging holes in engine bay Tue, 23 August 2005 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i can vouch for arc welders blowing holes in panels. i've just come up from the shed after welding a cracked inner guard and fender on my 4wd.
all i have is an old arc welder, the cracks/splits are fixed now, but the panels do have a couple complimentary breather holes now... Laughing
o_man_ra23
Regular

June 2003
icon10.gif  Re: Welding / Bogging holes in engine bay Tue, 23 August 2005 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mig the bugger.

also, can you email me details on how you performed this conversion, as i will be doing the same to my mate's TA22 in a couple of weeks once we finish welding the body on his missus' rolla. were there any niggly bits that cropped up?? or was it really simple??

Cheers, Owen
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Welding / Bogging holes in engine bay Wed, 24 August 2005 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Panels may not survive Arc, but I know the thicker chassis metal can make it.

I want a mig Sad
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Welding / Bogging holes in engine bay Wed, 24 August 2005 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why not fill with gromets???
rokusan
Regular

September 2004
Re: Welding / Bogging holes in engine bay Wed, 24 August 2005 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have had good success with fibreglass behind the small holes then bog and tacking a patch behind the larger ones then filling it with bog, just use a good quality bog it will last as long as needed
NAJJE
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: Welding / Bogging holes in engine bay Wed, 24 August 2005 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers for the replies...

Fibre glass sounds like a good idea, but I might pinch my mates MIG welder to do the job!

Ill post some pics once its done... Still stripping paint Razz

Never realised how usefall My new Air Die grinder is with flap wheels to smooth burs off and take back to metal... Best tool I Ive bought!!!

Thanks for the replies

Regards

Rob
jcmunga
Regular

November 2004
Re: Welding / Bogging holes in engine bay Sat, 27 August 2005 00:20 Go to previous message
if you do use a mig, use no bigger than .7mm wire on low voltage and keep the wire moving at a good speed, this stops it getting too hot.
if you use thicker wire you need higher volts and heat created by the thicker wires will blow holes
jesse
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Quad throttle throat sizing questions
Next Topic:AE101 4agze ---> SX selector problem
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 19:03:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070199966430664 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.