Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
pops_1j
Occasional Poster

March 2005
icon3.gif  OIL who needs it!! haha Mon, 22 August 2005 08:11 Go to next message
hey peoples, just wondering wat oil everyone puts in there cars and why they have chosen it?? i have no idea wat to put in my 1jz... wats the best you guys think?
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Mon, 22 August 2005 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what viscosity does toyota recommend for your climate??
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Tue, 23 August 2005 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
10w30 is recommended for 1j's. I use Repsol 10w30 in mine but I would like to go to something like a 15w40 or so.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Tue, 23 August 2005 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
10w30?!

not in 40 degree aussie temps! edit: I should add also not in a turbo engine with >100,000kms on the clock

penrite HPR series oil is the shiznit. it's expensive (~$40 for 5 litres) but it performs better than the mobil or shell alternatives I've tried.

[Updated on: Tue, 23 August 2005 00:47]

bahnugget
Regular

August 2005
Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Tue, 23 August 2005 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i use Castrol 20W50 in the camry and the sleekr, but the sleekr's rings are stuffed so now im using 20W60 (plan on changing motors soon)
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Tue, 23 August 2005 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use Valvoline (you know what i mean) XLD premium 20w50 in the rona, only cos thats what my neighbour puts in when he services and i just carry a bottle round in the boot to top it up.
$13 bucks on special for 5L must be good shit, but hey the car hasn't died yet.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Tue, 23 August 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rona - seriously, what does your choice in oil have to do with a 1jz?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Tue, 23 August 2005 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and what does bahnuggets Razz
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Tue, 23 August 2005 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1GGTE is recommended to use 10w30 as well, I am tossing up whether to go back to the Mobil1 5w50 I was using before or something else. It currently has 10w40 Castrol Magnatec for about 1000km, trying to just get some oil through it to give it all a good clean out.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Tue, 23 August 2005 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Tue, 23 August 2005 10:10

10w30?!

not in 40 degree aussie temps! edit: I should add also not in a turbo engine with >100,000kms on the clock

penrite HPR series oil is the shiznit. it's expensive (~$40 for 5 litres) but it performs better than the mobil or shell alternatives I've tried.

Japan gets pretty damn hot too in Summer.

Having said that I am going for something thicker soon as it sits at 20psi at idle when warm. Its at 40 when cold.
bahnugget
Regular

August 2005
Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Tue, 23 August 2005 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Tue, 23 August 2005 10:46

rona - seriously, what does your choice in oil have to do with a 1jz?

ahem... Razz

pops_1j wrote on Mon, 22 August 2005 18:11

just wondering wat oil everyone puts in there cars and why

edit: i would say you should just go and ask your local toyota dealer, not that half of them have a clue anyway, but its worth a try.

[Updated on: Tue, 23 August 2005 01:35]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Tue, 23 August 2005 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that and the fact that the 1jz-gte wasn't released in australia, so they'd most likely have no idea at all unless they're an import enthusiast.

[Updated on: Tue, 23 August 2005 01:48]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Tue, 23 August 2005 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you guys eat shit at keeping the tech section for tech talk. take it to the outhouse
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Tue, 23 August 2005 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.thermactor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39 66

similair thread above for 1jz oils, seems to be each to their own

i was using HPR15 found it pretty good but im now giving the ELF 10w-40 a run
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Tue, 23 August 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EvilJack wrote on Tue, 23 August 2005 14:56

http://www.thermactor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39 66

similair thread above for 1jz oils, seems to be each to their own

i was using HPR15 found it pretty good but im now giving the ELF 10w-40 a run

Ah yeah, I remember reading that on the cressi forum.

FWIW, sorry Draven.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Tue, 23 August 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Tue, 23 August 2005 14:26

you guys eat shit at keeping the tech section for tech talk. take it to the outhouse

Does anyone moderate the tech section any more? We need Ed to come back and put the smack down. Or someone at any rate.
bahnugget
Regular

August 2005
Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Tue, 23 August 2005 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
might i point out draven that 2 out of 3 posts you've made in this thread dont involve "tech talk"

sorry for going off topic, wont happen again.
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Tue, 23 August 2005 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Tue, 23 August 2005 17:02

draven wrote on Tue, 23 August 2005 14:26

Does anyone moderate the tech section any more? We need Ed to come back and put the smack down. Or someone at any rate.

What? This is the tech section? No wonder I can't find it anymore.
dale_8888
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Tue, 23 August 2005 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well,

I don't know about the 1JZ but in any car, in Australia the anti-freeze, anti-boil by Castrol is probably the best bet if you can find one in the right wattage!!!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Tue, 23 August 2005 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WTF are you talking about dude?
pops_1j
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Tue, 23 August 2005 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm thinking of using shell 15w50
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Tue, 23 August 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dale_8888 wrote on Tue, 23 August 2005 18:04

well,

I don't know about the 1JZ but in any car, in Australia the anti-freeze, anti-boil by Castrol is probably the best bet if you can find one in the right wattage!!!

thats for the radiator.
dale_8888
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Tue, 23 August 2005 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah...I just realised it's the radiator I was thinking of Embarassed
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Tue, 23 August 2005 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you're confused about the difference between oil and coolant, perhaps you should stop contributing to tech threads until you've learned a few fundamentals about cars?

Also, that Castrol stuff is cheap and nasty. Toyota Red is the only coolant worth using in your Toyota.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Tue, 23 August 2005 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i use penrite and toyota red
only the best

hpr15/20 works well
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Tue, 23 August 2005 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fark you guys post a lot of shit (says me Rolling Eyes )

anyhoo, Chris is right.. it gets bloody hot here, and bloody cold... where i am it only gets to low 30's, but it also gets to MINUS 20's.. i specifically asked about changing oil and coolant for seasons and was told that ppl just run the same oil, and coolant is tested at each service to freeze at minus 37...

in honshuu, it gets much hotter, mid to high 30's, similar to Aus..

looking in my new manual (for 3SGTE), it has a pretty diagram for gasorin-kuruma (petrol cars Razz ) showing that 10W30 is ok for -20 to +40 and above..
5W30 is fine for less than -30 to above +40..

in fact it lists same oil for 7AFE, 3SGE, 3SFE, 3SGTE

also this is for API SJ / ILSAC GF-2 SAE10W30 (or SAE5W30) rated oils

so that is what toyota recommended about 5-8 years ago....

heh heh, give me a net-nazi stick and i'll beat them down Razz

edit.. Norbs, you want the big stick or the one with rusty nails Wink

[Updated on: Tue, 23 August 2005 14:45]

indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Tue, 23 August 2005 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive been experimenting wit oils in the 1g for quiet a while now I have found the 10w-30 oil from Toyota to be ok , car didn’t like castrol synth-r , and mobil 1 due to it being too rough on cold start , penrite 20-50 made the car make a lot of tappet noise but was good engine oil but I think its too thick, im now running 10w-50 penrite and its ok but the car still has a shudder on cold start but goes away while driving

The only one that didn’t give me the shudder and worked ok was penrite 15-60 or 15-50 (cant remember now) so I thnk iil be switching back to that

engine is a 1g-gte

anyone here know what will be a good weight oil to run all through the year as I was told changing to different weight oils too many times will cause problems

ive also heard people change for thicker in summer and thinner in winter , wont this affect the engine though
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Tue, 23 August 2005 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indian wrote on Wed, 24 August 2005 08:50

Ive been experimenting wit oils in the 1g for quiet a while now I have found the 10w-30 oil from Toyota to be ok , car didn’t like castrol synth-r , and mobil 1 due to it being too rough on cold start , penrite 20-50 made the car make a lot of tappet noise but was good engine oil but I think its too thick, im now running 10w-50 penrite and its ok but the car still has a shudder on cold start but goes away while driving

The only one that didn’t give me the shudder and worked ok was penrite 15-60 or 15-50 (cant remember now) so I thnk iil be switching back to that

engine is a 1g-gte

anyone here know what will be a good weight oil to run all through the year as I was told changing to different weight oils too many times will cause problems

ive also heard people change for thicker in summer and thinner in winter , wont this affect the engine though

I'm using honda premium grade 10w30 at the moment, simply cause i got it cheap from a friend at honda Smile

Works well, although I've got a lot of tappet noise...

but hey, my car runs better when it IS cold, so meh

*goes back to try and find electrical problem*

oh btw, 10w30 is suggested to be used on the 1G-GTE.

indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Tue, 23 August 2005 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah the tappet noise thing is annoying , funny thing is if im sitting in the car at cold start and if the windows are wound up I can hear the tappets really well , but the minute I wind down the windows , I can only hear it very, very faintly does anyone know why that happens , i would have though it would be quieter with the windows shut as the insulation will kill the noise but it’s the other way around

And yeah 10-30 is recommended by Toyota for most of their cars, including the 1g-gte and I tried their oil but wasn’t the very best but performed better than some of the oils I tried

Does anyone know who makes Toyota oil
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Tue, 23 August 2005 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shell does, I believe
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Tue, 23 August 2005 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can anyone else confirm that

looks like 10w-30 is the go but since some cars here are more than 15 years old might need to use 15w as 10 might be too thin cause of the wear and tear

also what is the difference b/ween 10w-30 and 10w-60 does it mean that the 60 will flow better when warm
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Wed, 24 August 2005 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, if anything you only need to change the W number for season....

since the hot temp is regulated by your cars thermostat,you would hope that winter or summer, the hot viscosity requirement is the same..

60 is much thicker than 30 btw

for cold, toyota seems to say that 10W is good down to minus 20C, so i guess there is not much point going thinner..

that said, i was running 5W50 in the rolla, simply because with 20W50 or so, it was very sluggish when cold, and a poor lil motor needs all the help it can get to rev high Wink

i don't think it'd be a problem changing oils often, except for cost... or if the aditives were radically different and interacted??
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Wed, 24 August 2005 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i suppose that makes sense , but ive been told that the higher the second number the better even says on the magnatec oil can in the back

confused the shite out of myself now

so what oil is the better one 10w-30 or 10w-60
and should an older engine use thicker (w) oil
pops_1j
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Wed, 24 August 2005 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i found a good repsol oil 80 bucks for 5 litres should be good
Nobody
Occasional Poster

April 2003
Oil site Wed, 24 August 2005 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com
Southo
Regular

I supported Toymods

August 2002
Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Wed, 24 August 2005 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am using a Castrol Formula R Synthetic 0W-40 at the moment in my 2JZGTE...
I used to use Pennzoil Semi Synth 5W-30, but I could not find any at the time and this was recomemded to me by a fellow 2JZGTE owner..

Seems to be OK so far...

It's done about 3000kms at the moment and I will drop it at 5,000 and see send a 100ml sample away for testing to see what the optimum interval is for changing
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Wed, 24 August 2005 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indian wrote on Wed, 24 August 2005 10:08

i suppose that makes sense , but ive been told that the higher the second number the better even says on the magnatec oil can in the back

confused the shite out of myself now

so what oil is the better one 10w-30 or 10w-60
and should an older engine use thicker (w) oil

W is the winter, or cold number. the second number is hot.

the number refers to the viscosity, higher number = higher viscosity..

a single weight oil.. say straight 30 weight, will change viscosity with temp.. a 5W-50 will not change it's viscosity nearly as much as a 30W50... etc etc
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Thu, 25 August 2005 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use this stuff:

http://ribfeast.no-ip.com/oil1.jpg
http://ribfeast.no-ip.com/oil2.jpg

Goes great but I'll try some Motul stuff next time.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Thu, 25 August 2005 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL at reading bottle

"older technology street machines" Wink
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Thu, 25 August 2005 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd probably be using that too if it wasn't so fricking expensive! It's even more expensive than the Mobil 1 I was using!
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: OIL who needs it!! haha Thu, 25 August 2005 07:20 Go to previous message
i use hpr15, very happy with it
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:exhaust manifold pressures
Next Topic:Suspension and handling advice
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-