Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » buying st185?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
esk34
Regular

February 2005
buying st185? Sun, 21 August 2005 15:53 Go to next message
Hi,
I am looking at getting an st185 as my first project car, she's a bit run down, but she's cheap so it should be OK. It seemed to run well, but needs valve stem seals done, new tyres and a couple of little things to get her roadworthy.
Is there any problems that I should look out for?
She has a 3" exahst from the cat back, lowered pedders springs and a blitz blow off valve. Are any of these things illegal, especially the blow off valve, as I have heard bad things from friends about them.
After getting it running right, what mods should I go for first?
I was thinking of a witeline handling kit, or full works kit. Or should I go with engine mods first as I am fixing it.
Do you have to drop the engine for the vavle stem seals?
If so is it worth doing all other seals and cam belt while the engine is out as she has done 175000kms?
How much would all this cost?
Sorry for all the newbie type questions, but I am a bit new to this and I will probably be buying in a couple of days. Smile
Thanks for any help.
Sam
  Send a private message to this user    
1gt48u
Regular

April 2004
Re: buying st185? Mon, 22 August 2005 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi sam

whats your budget for keep the gt4 alive??
plenty of mods you can do
if your going to the extent of a full rebuild
then do everything you come across
175ks is probably pretty average for a 185 now
be prepare to empty your pockets - but it is
well worth it

cheers Very Happy
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: buying st185? Mon, 22 August 2005 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
definatey put away more money then you have to for repairs. if you can get some pics up. but yeah knowing your budget could help a liottle aswell?? also how much are you buying it for?
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: buying st185? Mon, 22 August 2005 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi, i bought a cheap st185 and ended up rebuilding it.
from paint to engine. now it runs like a dream.
just depends if you can afford it.. but since you call it a "project car" i'm assuming you are prepared.
now i wouldnt sell her for less than 14k but thats still far less then what i ended paying to get it as it is. if your interested you can pay me a visit and i will show you how mine goes and stuff. because i know through the process of rebuilding it there was times that i just wanted to sell the car and have something more hassle free. its more than likely you will go through that stage too.
good luck.

1gt48u wrote on Mon, 22 August 2005 11:21

be prepare to empty your pockets - but it is
well worth it

cheers Very Happy

[Updated on: Mon, 22 August 2005 02:40]

esk34
Regular

February 2005
Re: buying st185? Mon, 22 August 2005 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The car is costing about $6000
I have $4000 toput into her almost straight away.
I have a 2003 coralla as my daily driver, so this is going to be my hobby/weekend fun car.
I don't want to go overboard with mods, just want to run nice, then when I have some serious money I will probably get the engine rebuilt with strengthed internals and the like.
At the moment I am quite happy with the car as It is as it seems to run quite well.
BTW does anybody no about the legality of Blow off valves in Vic. Are they illegal or not?
thanks.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: buying st185? Tue, 23 August 2005 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
venting ones yes - plumb backs no - as long as they are plumbed back into the intake before the turbo
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: buying st185? Tue, 23 August 2005 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
question for you guys whats the insurance like on the ST185's last time i got a quote it was like 5K i am only 19 who are you with age/no claim bonus etc.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: buying st185? Tue, 23 August 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
being 19 youll be owned ..

your under nearly every insurance companies " no turbos for under 21/25 " rule

5 K would be cheap for a p plater in a Gt4 - PLUS its a barred car on the new P plater listing anyway in NSW

[Updated on: Tue, 23 August 2005 07:35]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: buying st185? Tue, 23 August 2005 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah i got my p's well befor the cut which means i can drive anything i want, i have only got another year on my greens and have been driving for almost two years, its a joke really its cheaper for me to insure an R33 GSTST than it is to insure a GT4 or a 200sx go figure.
Kinda another issue where i can afford the car but no the insurance, well i could afford the insurance but i don't want to.
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: buying st185? Tue, 23 August 2005 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Almost no place will insure u unless its under your parent name and even so just having u as a driver is goin to cost a fair bit. Im 21 and to have me down as a driver even with the car in my mums name its 150 a month and thats less then usual because im in a low risk area (On campus at newcastle uni). This is with nrma so i dont think its the cheapest out there, everyone seems to go with just cars for cheapest prices.
Corona how the hell is the insurance cheaper for a r33gtst?!?! my mate has one and nobody would insure him at all and on all the sites which have insurance estimates the skyline always ended up like twice as much a the gt4 when i was filling them out.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: buying st185? Wed, 24 August 2005 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
estimate for an R33 skyline with just cars was 3.5K on my own insurance details nothing to do with my parents, GT4 was 5K same with the 200sx.
esk34
Regular

February 2005
Re: buying st185? Wed, 24 August 2005 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've found the gt4'scheap to insure. Around $700 to $1200 through ammi or just cars.
I am old though.
A friend of mine pays 2700 for his skyline through shannon, and I have another friend that pays 3000 + for his slightly modifyed Camry.
If you are just gettig your licence you should probably get a bomb,or cheaper relable car, and only insure it third party fire and theft. Then when you get your full licence you should be rating one provided you havn't had a claim. Thats how it works through Ammi. Besides it's good to start off with a car that you can touch park, bottom out, hit random objects, and not cry to much.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: buying st185? Wed, 24 August 2005 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes but i have already done that, i will be off my p's next Jly and just wanna get a better car when i actually time off to do so ie 3-4 months break from uni gives me every weekend free to look at cars.
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: buying st185? Wed, 24 August 2005 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Tue, 23 August 2005 17:35

being 19 youll be owned ..

your under nearly every insurance companies " no turbos for under 21/25 " rule

5 K would be cheap for a p plater in a Gt4 - PLUS its a barred car on the new P plater listing anyway in NSW

depends which company you go with. i went nrma/ammi/gio and they all qouted me 13k a year for a 20yr old driver + for a stock mr2 turbo.

just cars insured me for 2.2k unlimited mods + 50% no claim
esk34
Regular

February 2005
Re: buying st185? Wed, 24 August 2005 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe you should just go third party, and not crash. Thats what I intend on doing with mine until it's all fixed up proper.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: buying st185? Wed, 24 August 2005 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
theres no way i am only gonna get third party for a car worth 10-20K, especially when its gonna be parked at a station. And third party fire and theft only covers like 5K
esk34
Regular

February 2005
Re: buying st185? Wed, 24 August 2005 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, thats fair enough. Theves shit me, if it wern't for them insurance would cost less, and you would't end up without a cr for months.
Well if you are buying an expensive car, you are gonna pay expensive insurance, unless it't boring and stock like my rolla.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: buying st185? Tue, 30 August 2005 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm well was just looking at the ST185 for sale and thought what the heck i'll go on just cars and get a quote, to my surprise it came back at $2,065 for the full value of the car.
esk34
Regular

February 2005
Re: buying st185? Tue, 30 August 2005 14:36 Go to previous message
Yeah
Justcars are good.
I got a quote from Ammi, with all the discounts for already having home and contents and another car, and it was $1200 for a stock GT4. Just cars was only $800 odd, and for a jap import only $700.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3t-gte help please
Next Topic:what corolla is this
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 10:33:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0079679489135742 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.