Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
3sgte into ra23 Wed, 17 August 2005 05:10 Go to next message
hey guys, just came accross a 3sgte that im planin on puttin in my ra23 celica, just wanted to know EVERYTHING! i want it all,
planin on running a microtech EMS, and dont have to worry abotu power steering or air conditioning because it doesnt have any.
so im wondering
- anyone have links to a site with the info?
- anyone on here done it that i can talk to? (msn)
- what gear box will i need?

not really after opinons here guys just people who have done this/seen this done.
any help is much appreciated!
thanks in advance
BOCKA
  Send a private message to this user    
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: 3sgte into ra23 Wed, 17 August 2005 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Please search.

In fact I'll even put in the part of the searching FAQ post that will help you out.

THE WITZL wrote on Tue, 01 March 2005 14:47

Google Search Toymods!!

You can actually use google to search a specific website (toymods forums is what we are interested in), just by adding site:forums.toymods.org.au after your search.

Example:
when searching for information about hilux diffs, you would type the following into the google search bar:

hilux diff site:forums.toymods.org.au

and google will return about 7 pages of search results from the Toymods forums!

There is a huge thread from Joel about putting a 3SGTE in his RA28 and there is a variety of other threads on the topic. Sadly the fact that you've just started on the idea doesn't mean that everyone is going to come and tell you the same info they have had to tell a variety of other people in the past.
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: 3sgte into ra23 Wed, 17 August 2005 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks mate
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 3sgte into ra23 Wed, 17 August 2005 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BOCKA wrote on Wed, 17 August 2005 15:10

just wanted to know EVERYTHING! i want it all, <snip rest>

ever thought of asking politely? What is it with people demanding that they be told everything?

anyway

Cool1 is also stuffing a 3s-gte into a TA celica so there's a few loons here wanting 3S madness in old-school celicas.

here's a google search already coded for you.

[Updated on: Wed, 17 August 2005 06:11]

BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: 3sgte into ra23 Wed, 17 August 2005 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wasnt being inpolite, must just be the way you read it. thanks for the info though.
! = a symbol for a statement not yelling
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 3sgte into ra23 Wed, 17 August 2005 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BOCKA wrote on Wed, 17 August 2005 16:57

! = a symbol for a statement not yelling

err... it's been a while since attended a class on english grammar, but i'm reasonably sure that an exclamation mark is intended to emphasise something e.g. that car is so fucken ugly! or you stink!, it's something that helps you make a point (and lives at the end of a sentence).

When you add all-caps, it makes the point even stronger e.g. this post is STUPID! or give me EVERYTHING YOU HAVE!.

Can i suggest that next time you want to not yell or not be loud, write like you speak.

back to the topic - you might want to add 'BEAMS' to the search queries as it too seems to occaisionally get converted to RWD - which is going to be a major part of adapting this wonderful motor to an RA23. I'm not sure if anyone has converted a vanilla 3SGE to RWD?

Cheers,
Charles.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3sgte into ra23 Wed, 17 August 2005 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your not going to it.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3sgte into ra23 Wed, 17 August 2005 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Wed, 17 August 2005 20:35

You're not going to do it.

I assume this is what you meant?

If so, I agree. Smile
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3sgte into ra23 Wed, 17 August 2005 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Wed, 17 August 2005 21:01

You're not going to do it.

I assume this is what you meant?

If so, I agree. Smile

Yeah I think thats what the bundy bear and I were meant to say Confused
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: 3sgte into ra23 Sat, 20 August 2005 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Your not going to do it.

why do you say this? is it that hard of a transplant?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3sgte into ra23 Sat, 20 August 2005 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you were serious, you would of dones some searching on these forums and you would of spent about 3 full days reading all the posted information.
You also would not be asking if its that hard of a conversion. And you would already have all the answers to the questions in your first post.
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: 3sgte into ra23 Sun, 21 August 2005 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^^ well i see you know me better than anyone, even myself apparently seeing that you know what I would do in this situation. but hate to tell you your wrong.
MX73_drifter
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: 3sgte into ra23 Sun, 21 August 2005 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think u should go ahead wid it
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: 3sgte into ra23 Mon, 22 August 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^ im thinkin that too, the engine is at a shed now waiting for me. my next step will be to buy myself a microtech unit.
my last conversion took too long and i need this car as a daily driver so im kind worried about time aswell but i spose it takes as long as its got to really.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3sgte into ra23 Mon, 22 August 2005 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its a lot of work.

some of problems you need to overcome -

sump
oil pickup
engine mounts
bellhousing
flywheel
coolant pipes
turbo manifold
inlet manifold

thats just engine.. then you have things like..

fuel system
stronger diff
gearbox
intercooler
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: 3sgte into ra23 Mon, 22 August 2005 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^^ thanks for your actual reply mate, appreciated!
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: 3sgte into ra23 Mon, 22 August 2005 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Mon, 22 August 2005 17:24

its a lot of work.

sump
oil pickup
engine mounts
bellhousing
flywheel
coolant pipes
turbo manifold
inlet manifold

fuel system
stronger diff
gearbox
intercooler

hey mate, i got a couple quick questions for you.
why do you say the sump wont fit? will it not fit around the steering rack?

obviously we will have to change the gearbox which means we will have a new bellhousing and probably need a custom driveline, i'm sure the diff wont handle too much but i'm sure there are some viable upgrades that can be done.

once the new computer goes in, there will be an aftermarket fuel pump fitted.

the engine mounts will have to be custom made which isn't a problem.

the inlet and exhaust manifolds aren't hard. i dont' see why we can't use the same exhuast manifold, but will probably need to modify the inlet manifold.

really most things you hav mentioned there aren't really that hard to get around.

i'm most interested to know exactly what you mean about the sump not fitting as that will then be a problem. also what gearbox can we use that will bolt up to a 3sgte motor in RWD configuration???
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3sgte into ra23 Mon, 22 August 2005 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BOCKA wrote on Mon, 22 August 2005 18:45

TurboRA28 wrote on Mon, 22 August 2005 17:24

its a lot of work.

sump
oil pickup
engine mounts
bellhousing
flywheel
coolant pipes
turbo manifold
inlet manifold

fuel system
stronger diff
gearbox
intercooler

hey mate, i got a couple quick questions for you.
why do you say the sump wont fit? will it not fit around the steering rack?

obviously we will have to change the gearbox which means we will have a new bellhousing and probably need a custom driveline, i'm sure the diff wont handle too much but i'm sure there are some viable upgrades that can be done.

once the new computer goes in, there will be an aftermarket fuel pump fitted.

the engine mounts will have to be custom made which isn't a problem.

the inlet and exhaust manifolds aren't hard. i dont' see why we can't use the same exhuast manifold, but will probably need to modify the inlet manifold.

really most things you hav mentioned there aren't really that hard to get around.

i'm most interested to know exactly what you mean about the sump not fitting as that will then be a problem. also what gearbox can we use that will bolt up to a 3sgte motor in RWD configuration???

Again, if you had bothered to have searched, you would already have the answers to these questions.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: 3sgte into ra23 Mon, 22 August 2005 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sad to say I have to agree with Cool1 on this one.

If finding the information is too much work then doing the conversion is going to cause some real issues.

If this is your main source of transport I would encourage you not to get involved in this conversion. There are two people replying to this thread that are doing 3S conversions into *A2* chassis ask them how long they've been going for.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3sgte into ra23 Mon, 22 August 2005 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And how much they have spent dollars wise - plus time wise ..

its probably one of the hardest transplants out there to do - nothing at all is EASY or " bolts up "

Another thing to add to te " things that must be done " in this conversion - brakes ..

have a good look at what shanes done with his front setup for example ...

hate to say it - but theres easier avenues if you want 3sgte goodness - and cheaper ..

Ones a Gt4 ..

the other an Sw20 mr2 ..

[Updated on: Mon, 22 August 2005 11:21]

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3sgte into ra23 Tue, 23 August 2005 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yah have a read of the threads already existing on toymods then ask the questions Smile

BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: 3sgte into ra23 Tue, 23 August 2005 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for all the "serious" replies guys. im not the brains behind the operation my mate is (he a freak with engines) itll be him and myself doing the labour and a 3rd year apprentice mechanic. ill do as the above post says and go have a real good read of the material i can find. it is looking to be a much more expensive excersize than planned. thanks again
BOCKA
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3sgte into ra23 Wed, 24 August 2005 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BOCKA wrote on Tue, 23 August 2005 18:37

it is looking to be a much more expensive excersize than planned.

Cool
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 3sgte into ra23 Wed, 24 August 2005 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A conversion only costs the price of the halfcut and a tank of fuel.

[Updated on: Wed, 24 August 2005 00:11]

Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: 3sgte into ra23 Wed, 24 August 2005 01:40 Go to previous message
BOCKA wrote on Tue, 23 August 2005 18:37

it is looking to be a much more expensive excersize than planned. thanks again
BOCKA

This isn't a conversion you do because you found a 3S lying around. The engine is the cheap part of the conversion. Putting a 3SGTE into a *A2* chassis is a conversion that you do because it is the conversion that you really want to do. Any other reason and it's just too expensive and time consuming to bother with.

Now don't interpret that as me saying putting a 3S in there isn't a good swap it is. It's just not at all easy or cheap.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:USA delivered 1983 AE72 SR5 pics???
Next Topic:why???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 11:45:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057950019836426 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.