Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » USA delivered 1983 AE72 SR5 pics???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
USA delivered 1983 AE72 SR5 pics??? Tue, 12 July 2005 00:09 Go to next message
i was reading on this website www.1uzfe.com and he does a rack and pinoin conversion in his te27, but he says he uses an AE72 SR5 rack and cuts the crossmember mounts off it. ive looked for ages and i cant find any pics of an AE72 SR5 (83 model) so i can find out what the australian equevilant is nd he has not contact details on the website.

thankyou
  Send a private message to this user    
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: USA delivered 1983 AE72 SR5 pics??? Tue, 12 July 2005 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you'll find AE86/AE71/KE70 will be almost the same.
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: USA delivered 1983 AE72 SR5 pics??? Tue, 12 July 2005 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea thats what i was thinking but i want to make sure before i was my money buying the wrong rack and crossmember
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: USA delivered 1983 AE72 SR5 pics??? Tue, 12 July 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
think it is a ke70/ae71 yet 2 door version
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: USA delivered 1983 AE72 SR5 pics??? Tue, 12 July 2005 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Isn't it just the tercel? SR5 badges I think were only ever on tercel's and hilux's.

square, 5 doors, part time 4wd.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/gasolinefumes/hb3.jpg

look something like that.
Daemon
Regular

May 2004
Re: USA delivered 1983 AE72 SR5 pics??? Tue, 12 July 2005 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, the Tercel is a EL** chassis.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: USA delivered 1983 AE72 SR5 pics??? Tue, 12 July 2005 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Both "SR5" and "Tercel" applied to a LOT more models in the US then here.
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: USA delivered 1983 AE72 SR5 pics??? Tue, 12 July 2005 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im pretty sure ae72 = Coupe in the states. check out this site for info though

http://www.toyota3tc.com/forum
the flea
Newcomer

August 2005
Re: USA delivered 1983 AE72 SR5 pics??? Wed, 24 August 2005 02:21 Go to previous message
Hey guys, long time reader and here's my first post! Let me say first that my fellow Statesmen and I are inspired by the work you guys do down under. Someday I hope to visit.

After many hours in the JY studying Toyota stuff I think I've come across a good solution for those (in the States) wanting to convert to manual R/P.

O.K. Stuff you know already: In the States the 80-82 T series Corollas came mostly equiped with the drag link style steering. In 83, when they started using the A series engine, they began producing them with the manual rack and pinion.

I use this crossmemeber from the 83 because they have the special bracket used on the manual rack only. Ditch the 83 rack itself, they are usually junk and they are missing something important. More on this shortly.

Almost all of our AR86's were power steering. I found this lead me nowhere because they obviously won't have the small bracket. I guess you could use the whole unit in OZ because your AE86's were all manual, right?

Anyway, I found the AW11 rack to be the best, I have some reasons on my page. The secret everyone on the club4ag forums is overlooking is the use of the AW11 universal joint and rack. They have a longer input shaft and special joint. It will allow them to use the AE column and have it fit directly to the manual AW11 rack. The fit is perfect. The condition of a 100K mile AW11 rack is like that of a 30K mile AE Corolla.

BTW, I don't know why anyone here with a AE86 would want to give up their power steering. Manual steering sucks and I would surely use power if I could afford the weight had the space to fit it.

Anyway, talk later.

EDIT PICTURE (lower--small support bracket)
http://www.1uzfe.com/AE72.jpg

[Updated on: Wed, 24 August 2005 02:25]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:gf or car
Next Topic:3sgte into ra23
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 13:12:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054581165313721 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.