Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Car wont turn off?! HELP!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Car wont turn off?! HELP! Wed, 24 August 2005 04:19 Go to next message
okay, now i hope this doesnt make things harder but the car is a torago. its my mums.

last night it was running fine. but i parked it out the front wif a for sale sign in the window and left it over night.

ive never had nuffin like this b4, but i got it this morning.
my cousin goes to start the car, nuffin happens, so he hits the o/d and then it starts up. but it strugled and shit. he shuts it downs. but it doesnt turn off. the engine stalls, but it continues to crank. he panics turns it back on and brings it in.

i had no idea bout this problem till i started to drive up the street. the car wouldnt go, had no power(not that it usually does but less than normal). i pull in the drive way and floor it, nuffin. the car jus cruises, it tries to drive but its being held back. i thought maybe sumfin been jammed up the exhuast, but when i went to turn it off. the engine stopped. but the starter kept kicking over, but wif no ign "on" it wouldnt start. jus continuosly cranking. like i was turning the key all the way round but it wasnt starting. only thing is i wasnt turning the key, i dun even think it was in the ignition.

to turn the car off i had to disconnect the battery. i opened up the engine bay(which is under the passenger seat) and all smoke poured out. smelt like a belt was jus spinning on the spot. thats why i figure the starter was jus trying to kick over.

atm, i cant think of anything else.
i cant see if anyhting been jammed up the exhuast but it doesnt fit if sumfin has. not that i know of.
if sum1 tried to rip the car off, and tried to hotwire it, would that cause i problem like this?

i disconnected the ignition and when i connect the batt, it stopped it from trying to kick over. would that mean the problem is at the ignition end? there are sum hacked wires under there, but they been taped up, and i duno how long for.

any help would be appreciated.
im trapped at my cousins Razz
thanks guys,
-------
jason
  Send a private message to this user    
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Car wont turn off?! HELP! Wed, 24 August 2005 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like the wiring is fucked thats for sure.

Maybe someone tried to steal it or maybe something else happened. Either way, unless you know what you are doing you'd want to take it to an auto electrician.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Car wont turn off?! HELP! Wed, 24 August 2005 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stuck starter solenoid. With the starter constantly engaged, even with the engine running (which was obviously what was holding it back), the starter is probably totally rooted now. Time to go looking for a new one.
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Car wont turn off?! HELP! Wed, 24 August 2005 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
norbie. wat woulda caused that?

is there no way of repairing it? or is it time to replace it?

thanks alot,
-------
jason
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Car wont turn off?! HELP! Wed, 24 August 2005 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokey228 wrote on Wed, 24 August 2005 15:13

wat woulda caused that?

is there no way of repairing it? or is it time to replace it?

Remember that smoke? that was the insulation burning away in your starter motor and starter solenoid - if you're really lucky, some melting wiring was assisting in the burning of the insulation.

without insulation - in the starter solenoid or starter motor - your starter is toast.

cause? solenoid was probaly begining to fail and arc across the contact points - that either welded the points shut or some other kind of failure resulted in the points closing.
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Car wont turn off?! HELP! Wed, 24 August 2005 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
darn. bastard starter motors. i jus want to sell the fu**ing thing.

how much will a 2nd hand starter cost me? are there starter motors off other cars that would be appropriate? like a holden or sumfin simple? sumfin liek dat would prolly be easier to come across. i geuss for now my best bet it getting in contact with the local wrecker for parts...

it seems odd, that the starter go now though, cause it has been fine up untill this morning. never had any sort of indication that it was on its way out. ill check wen my mum last had it replaced. she got sum major service on the car not long ago that cost her an arm and a leg. but i dunno wat was dun.

thanks alot guys,
-------
jason
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Car wont turn off?! HELP! Wed, 24 August 2005 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bosch have pretty much any starter motor you could require.
Most small to medium sized starter motors are under $200.
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Car wont turn off?! HELP! Wed, 24 August 2005 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats aolt man. thats a starting point. but im hoping to jus get a 2nd hand one to save on $$. i cant afford that stuff now Razz.

200 give or take is the most ill have to pay then i geuss...
bosch is also pretty high quality too. keep in mind its a torago. lol.

-------
jason
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Car wont turn off?! HELP! Wed, 24 August 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
give you $10 for the tarago! ahah,.

Damn, thats a funny story!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Car wont turn off?! HELP! Wed, 24 August 2005 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
give pnpl a call, see waht they can do for you. don't forget, when you get a 2nd hand starter there's no garantee it wont go arse up after a few months. and don't forget to get a quote for labour, 'cause that most likely won't be super-cheap either Smile
Leighp
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Car wont turn off?! HELP! Thu, 25 August 2005 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mate i have a 4age one if that fits we can talk about a good price for u......hope it can help and help u out mate

L
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Car wont turn off?! HELP! Thu, 25 August 2005 10:34 Go to previous message
black coffee u bastard Razz.
lol, it freaked me out at first, untill i sorta worked it out. then it pissed me off. lol.

nrma guy said 370, 12month 240k kms warranty. would take 15mins and they come to you. pretty good.

i figured, if its only gonna take them 15mins, then it should take me at most a few hrs Razz, the more i save on this, the more my mum will take off my debt. ahahah

its a 2tz XXX. and apparently only the original one will fit, or generic verisons of it. but i found sum prices. 125 no warranty pick-up, up to, 175 3mnth warranty and delivered free.
so now i jus gotta work out whats best for me.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:5MGE/6MGE Differences
Next Topic:--where to get exhaust gasket for 1gg?--
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 05:51:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056259632110596 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.