Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
kacela
Occasional Poster

August 2005
20V motor in a SX twim cam Wed, 24 August 2005 12:30 Go to next message
i recently bought a SX with a 20V motor in it, but something wrong wiht the idling...sometime it goes down to 500Rev but sometime will go back up to 1000 to 1200..anyone knopw what is the problem is? can anyone help me out?
  Send a private message to this user    
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 20V motor in a SX twim cam Wed, 24 August 2005 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you could have an air leak

also could be prob with wiring
or tps

make sure theres power to idle motor
187_20v
Regular

October 2004
Re: 20V motor in a SX twim cam Wed, 24 August 2005 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have this problem too
well i think i fixed it
happens every now and then
mayb ur AFM is screwed
cause mine was and when that got fixed
its made it abit better
mayb check ur leads also

kacela
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: 20V motor in a SX twim cam Wed, 24 August 2005 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so how much u spend to fix it? do i need a dyno tune up?
kacela
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: 20V motor in a SX twim cam Wed, 24 August 2005 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what is AFM by the way?
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 20V motor in a SX twim cam Wed, 24 August 2005 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
afm is air flow meter...

which version of 20v is it black or silver top???

if its a black top then there is no AFM..

Its a fair chance the TPS (throtle position sensor)needs adjustment or you have a leak somewhere after the afm if there is one....
Hunting can also be an issue with coolant i belive if there is an air pocket in the cooling system.

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 20V motor in a SX twim cam Wed, 24 August 2005 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with something like this, i would think it has more to do with the ISCV (idle speed control valve/motor)..... i had a similar issue with a 20V conversion i recently completed, whereby the engine would idle nicely when warming up - but once at operating temps the engine would run out of air from the idle being too low.

How the ISCV works is that when the engine is cold, it is fully open (or near fully open) allowing the engine to idle a little higher than normal.... and as the engine warms up the ECU (engine control unit - computer) starts to close up the ISCV to bring the idle down to the 800-900rpm it should be at.

With the conversion i just did (same thing - silvertop 20valve into AE92 SX seca), we tried cleaning out the ISCV in case it was getting "sticky" from oil residue etc... but it still seemed to be a bitch.
The solution was.... unplug the ISCV. Yes the engine will idle a little higher when warm... but at least it doesnt die!
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 20V motor in a SX twim cam Wed, 24 August 2005 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Thu, 25 August 2005 09:12

With the conversion i just did (same thing - silvertop 20valve into AE92 SX seca)

it may be a blacktop...

is it stalling on him???

[Updated on: Wed, 24 August 2005 23:35]

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 20V motor in a SX twim cam Wed, 24 August 2005 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah with this one, it would idle fine when cold and whilst warming up... but at full operating temp the engine was starved of air, and would eventually die out.
You could tell because you could hear the circuit opening relay clicking on/off since the AFM flap was fluttering open/closed.... (this is because the circuit opening relay is triggered by the AFM flap opening)

Unprug ISCV - no probrem!
kacela
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: 20V motor in a SX twim cam Thu, 25 August 2005 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so..not sure..is like black in the middle and silvr both sides...where can i take it to fix in Melbourne? or to check it out?
kacela
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: 20V motor in a SX twim cam Thu, 25 August 2005 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had a quad throttle...so must be the air flow meter...i remember the guy who sold the car to me said it has some sensor missing in the throttle..
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 20V motor in a SX twim cam Thu, 25 August 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not all quad throttle 20v's are air flow metered the black top 20v's are map sensored. The ISCV could well be the missing sensor as i think from memory of finneys 20v its near the quads
SecaSX
Regular

April 2003
Re: 20V motor in a SX twim cam Thu, 25 August 2005 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where can you get an ISCV from? Mine has the same problem.

Just rang Toyota. They need to come in from Japan but the price is too scary to mention.

Anyone got one for sale?
Leighp
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 20V motor in a SX twim cam Thu, 25 August 2005 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think i have one of them, PM me an offer.

from my experiences the following happened: AFM, ECU, or leakn air somewhere. can u post a pic, i suspect if not an AFM or ECU it is the tube that goes from the booster to the inlet along the firewall.

my 2cents worth.....but in saying that i have had that exact prob and it was at first the AFM, then I did an ECU and when some tubes are not connected together (totally airtight) then it happens

hope it works for ya.....and if it is an AFM i do have one for sale mate.

L

[Updated on: Thu, 25 August 2005 04:38]

kacela
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: 20V motor in a SX twim cam Thu, 25 August 2005 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i will go to hk next week to see if i can get all the parts i need there...so where can i take the car to check up?
Leighp
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 20V motor in a SX twim cam Mon, 29 August 2005 10:00 Go to previous message
i hear HK is good for rollas.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:5E-FTE turbo CT9, CT12, CT20, T2, GT17 or TD04
Next Topic:Rolla Brakes
Goto Forum: