Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Full-face clutch [cf.] Puck clutch Wed, 24 August 2005 14:07 Go to next message
Hi,

Seems to me a puck clutch has less contact area with the flywheel than an identical-diameter full-face clutch.

Why, then, does a puck/paddle design clutch disc tend to be more durable and effective for any given power output than the full face clutch with an equivilent diameter?

[Updated on: Wed, 24 August 2005 16:33]

Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Full-face clutch [cf.] Puck clutch Wed, 24 August 2005 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
force = pressure x area

less area (only small bits of friction surface) with the same pressure (from the pressure plate) = more force

As is usually given as a comparison in magazines etc. - think of a stilleto vs. a flat shoe in the mud.

What this means is that the point where the clutch begins to slip will be higher, but also that it will wear like a bitch, will be more contankerous to drive, and will eat at your frying wheel if you let it slip.
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Full-face clutch [cf.] Puck clutch Wed, 24 August 2005 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sense is made. Cheers.
RobertoX
Regular

May 2002
Re: Full-face clutch [cf.] Puck clutch Wed, 24 August 2005 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin... your argument is slightly flawed.

Quote:

force = pressure x area

less area (only small bits of friction surface) with the same pressure (from the pressure plate) = more force

I think you'll find that if you reduce the area in this equation you will also reduce the force (for a fixed pressure)

What actually happens is that the pressure plate spring exerts a fixed force, so if the area of the clutch decreases then the pressure on the clutch surface will increase.

From a basic physics point of view, it should not matter what the area of the friction area is (frictional force is dependant on normal force (ie the force exerted by the pressure plate) and the coefficent of friction. This is due to things like interlocking the micro surface irregularities and that sort of thing.
But in reality different materials exhibit different coefficents of friction under different pressure (Tyres are a perfec example of this, besides their adhesive effect, this is one of the many reasons why wider tires grip better but I think that is another thread Smile )

Also the geometry of the clutch arrangement could come into effect, With a 3 puck clutch the pressure is more likely to be spread more evenly across the surface of the clutch. (think of a tripod resting on an uneven surface as opposed to a hoola-hoop). I'm not too sure on this argument effecting clutch operation though....

[Updated on: Wed, 24 August 2005 22:25]

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Full-face clutch [cf.] Puck clutch Wed, 24 August 2005 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just to add some more intellectualism into this argument...

full face clutches bite the wang if you are serious about "driving" your car

puck clutch all the way Smile
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Full-face clutch [cf.] Puck clutch Wed, 24 August 2005 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It should read pressure = force x area

Im sure it all has to do with the coefficient of friction as Roberto suggests. Puck clutches are usually made of ceramic or brass buttons etc. which have a much higher coefficient of friction than organic, so much so a couple of pucks will provide more friction than a full face organic.

Id say the reason they puck the material is to give you some sort of ability to slip the clutch still, if it was full face you would have no chance to slip the clutch. Id say the puck arrangement also aids relieving heat from the flywheel???
RobertoX
Regular

May 2002
Re: Full-face clutch [cf.] Puck clutch Wed, 24 August 2005 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Nah, sorry this is wrong, mrshin had it right the first time...

force = pressure x Area

====>>> Pressure = Force / Area

think about it, the more area you have, the with the same force, the more that force will be distributed over that area. Hence less pressure...

ie Pressure is inversely proportinal to area for a force
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Full-face clutch [cf.] Puck clutch Thu, 25 August 2005 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep you are right, brain fart.
RobertoX
Regular

May 2002
Re: Full-face clutch [cf.] Puck clutch Thu, 25 August 2005 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dont worry I understand all too well Razz

Does anyone have a good reason to use a puck clutch? I'm interested in this but my response is just a stab in the dark and dont have any firsthand experience with them...
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Full-face clutch [cf.] Puck clutch Thu, 25 August 2005 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobertoX wrote on Thu, 25 August 2005 09:55

Does anyone have a good reason to use a puck clutch? I'm interested in this but my response is just a stab in the dark and dont have any firsthand experience with them...

Having the ability to clutch kick the soarer in 4th gear at 150+ kph and know that its going to induce wheelspin is a good reason Razz
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Full-face clutch [cf.] Puck clutch Thu, 25 August 2005 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it drives nicely dosnt make rattling noises at idle like multi plate setups dont cost the earth and the pedal dosent get much if any heavier

If i had another 1000 buks to spend i would have bought a twin plate instead
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: Full-face clutch [cf.] Puck clutch Thu, 25 August 2005 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It will stop most of your mates wanting to drive your car when they can't get the clutch and accelerator right... Razz
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Full-face clutch [cf.] Puck clutch Thu, 25 August 2005 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kyosho wrote on Thu, 25 August 2005 11:35

It will stop most of your mates wanting to drive your car when they can't get the clutch and accelerator right... Razz

yeah its good, my mum cant even reverse my car out of the driveway Laughing
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Full-face clutch [cf.] Puck clutch Thu, 25 August 2005 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One thing with ceramic puck clutches is that they tend to chew the flywheel and pressure plate which i am finding out atm.. Im replacing my gearbox on my mr2 and asked the mechanic to check out the flywheel and the clutch.. The clutch has pleanty of meat on it but the flywheel needed machining and the pressure plate was rooted.. This was after only 15000km or so of sedate driving.. Now i dont know if thats because ive been slipping it or just normal wear and tear but exedy have advised me that it is normal.

Edit: at $355 for a new pressure plate and no doubt $20-$50 to get the flywheel machined it starts to get $$$ fast. Guess i wont be slipping my clutch too much in the future!!!

[Updated on: Thu, 25 August 2005 23:42]

Iceman
Regular

January 2003
Re: Full-face clutch [cf.] Puck clutch Mon, 29 August 2005 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobertoX wrote on Thu, 25 August 2005 09:57

Quote:

force = pressure x Area

think about it, the more area you have, the with the same force, the more that force will be distributed over that area. Hence less pressure...

OK you guys need to go back to high school for maths..... These two equations are the SAME!! Just sit and look at them for a while.

a x c = b
a x c / c = b / c
a = b / c
RobertoX
Regular

May 2002
Re: Full-face clutch [cf.] Puck clutch Mon, 29 August 2005 02:34 Go to previous message
Iceman wrote on Mon, 29 August 2005 11:10

RobertoX wrote on Thu, 25 August 2005 09:57

Quote:

force = pressure x Area

OK you guys need to go back to high school for maths..... These two equations are the SAME!! Just sit and look at them for a while.

a x c = b
a x c / c = b / c
a = b / c

pressure = force x area
Pressure = Force / Area

read it again buddy, these two aren't the same, they vary by an opperand. Your demonstration is quite correct but you need to look a little closer.

Cheers
Rob
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:question on pistons
Next Topic:AE82 sedan - 4AGE smallport conversion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 21:24:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050389766693115 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.