Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TT_50AR
Regular

April 2005
ppl in canberra..i need help Wed, 24 August 2005 23:59 Go to next message
hey guys well in dec r early jan (i kno its a long way away) but many of us soarer owners are going to come from all around and meeet in canberra...people coming from sydney.adelaide etc etc
so..to help organise the cruise i will need some help from u guys as ive only been 2 canberra like 2wice and that was 7 yrs ago...so i need some help with a good place to meet that will b able 2 get some mad pix taken and be able 2 hold 30-40 cars?
could u supply me wit a road and a pic of the place..??
cause ive visited the sites like visitcanberra.com.au and they suck.. they odnt tell u anythin at all..so if u can help that would b nice
Nathan
  Send a private message to this user    
TA22_3TG
Regular

August 2002
Re: ppl in canberra..i need help Thu, 25 August 2005 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nathan
Depends what you are looking for. Do you have any ideas of the type of backdrops or shots you want?

Ill have a talk to the guys for some suggestions for you.
Cheers
Mitch
CCG
TT_50AR
Regular

April 2005
Re: ppl in canberra..i need help Thu, 25 August 2005 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TA22_3TG wrote on Thu, 25 August 2005 11:59

Nathan
Depends what you are looking for. Do you have any ideas of the type of backdrops or shots you want?

Ill have a talk to the guys for some suggestions for you.
Cheers
Mitch
CCG

hey mate .. um iff possible a water bakdrop but i still need a place that can hold 30 cars or so
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ppl in canberra..i need help Thu, 25 August 2005 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are several options around Lake Burley Griffin that could cater to your needs.

I have highlighted a few on the map below, these locations should hold your number of cars and will be either on the water or close to it or on top of a hill with great views.

A: Weston Park, you can drive the car to the waters edge, park on the gras and take pics, Black Mt will be in the background.

B: A homosexual hangout, best avoided.

C: The Carillon, plenty of room for parking. Close to water, great background.

D: Commemeration Place (I think that is what they call it). Good spot for night shots (or day shots but tends to be busy), being revamped at the moment, will be finished by the time you guys arrive.

E: Lakeside access, often you can drive up to the waters edge. Not a busy area, very flat area at the lake edge. Good background for photos.

F: Acton Peninsula, the National Museum of Australia is located here. Some good spots for photos, can be busy here on weekends. See the CCG website as some shots on their of the clubs cars were taken at this location.

G: Top of Mt Ainslie is great for photos, plenty of room to park cars and you can get above the cars and take some good shots with Canberra in the background.

H: Old and New Parliament House have some nice areas for photos, it all depends on security arrangements on the day though as to which spots are best.

I: The top of Red Hill has plenty of room for parking and is great for day or dusk photos. You can get some of Canberras great building in the background of your shots.

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/4752/lakebg8il.gif

Hope this helps.

I take no responsibility for dissapointment at any of these locations Very Happy

TT_50AR
Regular

April 2005
Re: ppl in canberra..i need help Thu, 25 August 2005 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woh sweet mate.. thanx heeps ill look in2 the locations.
Nathan
forced_induction
Regular

August 2004
Re: ppl in canberra..i need help Thu, 25 August 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hows bout the cotter? can get near water there i think (havent been for years.....) and its nice with trees an shit
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ppl in canberra..i need help Thu, 25 August 2005 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

its nice with trees an shit

Laughing Dude you make us Canberrans sound like hillbillies when you end a sentence with 'n shit Laughing

Cotter does have some nice spots 'n shit though, especially behind where the pub burnt down ('n shit) Smile
TT_50AR
Regular

April 2005
Re: ppl in canberra..i need help Thu, 25 August 2005 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahaha..... u hillbillies
forced_induction
Regular

August 2004
Re: ppl in canberra..i need help Thu, 25 August 2005 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats the first time ive said it and ive copped a spray. ill remove it from my vocabularly now ('n shit) haha
TT_50AR
Regular

April 2005
Re: ppl in canberra..i need help Sat, 27 August 2005 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hhaha

anyway.. by any chance does any1 have pix of the view from those spots??
would b nice otherwise ill just have 2 pic 1 at random
zasa
Regular

October 2004

Re: ppl in canberra..i need help Sun, 28 August 2005 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you'll have trouble fitting that many cars at any of those locations. For our Group A meet, we just managed to fit 7 cars at point D, after realising that there werent many interesting spots (lack of space).

I think cotta could work, plenty of space and interesting backdrops (especially around Uriarra).

http://www.users.on.net/~zasa/Photos/Group%20A%20M eet/images/DSC02112.jpg

ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ppl in canberra..i need help Mon, 29 August 2005 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

For our Group A meet, we just managed to fit 7 cars at point D, after realising that there werent many interesting spots (lack of space).

Agreed Zasa, looks tight once you get the cars in there. The car park section in between where you have the cars parked in your pic the National Library would have room though, only trouble would be having other cars in the way. You could still get water in the background but you would not be at the edge.

Locations C and E (pending access) would definitely have ample room though as you have access to a much longer area of shoreline that at D.

Uriarra is looking pretty scum bag at the moment, I would go Cotter over Uriarra. If you want a shot of the cars in convoy and you have a decent camera you could head up to Mt Stromlo as there a few spots where you have a clear view to the road below as it winds up the hill (no trees on the hill at the moment).

Just had a brainwave! Let me know what you think of this Zasa. The waters edge in between the National museum and the Acton Ferry terminal. The section in the middle is very flat, very open and you can get right up to the edge of the water safely. The useable bit of shoreline there is easily long enough to fit 50+ cars side by side. The backgound to that one is really nice too. It's nice by day, better at dusk and awesome at night as the Commonwealth Ave bridge, the lake and Parliament house all are in view.

Another spot that easily has a long enough shorline is opposite the above location. Basically the flat grassed area between the Parliament House side of Commonwealth Ave Bridge and the Hyatt. You can get right to the waters edge, the background it the unuusual architecture of the National museum, the lake Black Mt, gooo day time phot spot and easier to access than the abov position too, even super low cars shouldn't have a problem.

I will try to take a photo of the above two locations on my crappy camera phone when i am out and about at some stage just to give you an idea of space, background etc.
zasa
Regular

October 2004

Re: ppl in canberra..i need help Mon, 29 August 2005 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The area where those pics were taken has changed now, so that shot in itself is no longer possible.

The museum idea could work, however I'd imagine that the authorities would need to be notified. In fact, having that many modified cars anywhere around the lake would probably require permission from the authorities. Some one is bound to ring up and bitch.

Oh and how did you know point B was a homosexual hangout? Laughing
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ppl in canberra..i need help Mon, 29 August 2005 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

however I'd imagine that the authorities would need to be notified

Could be more trouble than it's worth.

Quote:

In fact, having that many modified cars anywhere around the lake would probably require permission from the authorities. Some one is bound to ring up and bitch.

Yeah good point, if the "Keep Canberra Boring Crew" saw a group of people doing something different and looked to be enjoying themselves they would surely attempt to put a stop to it.

Quote:

Oh and how did you know point B was a homosexual hangout?

Maaaaannnnny years ago when my friends and I got our licences and started driving our underpowered RWD old school cars we had an addiction to dirt. We went out to the forests many nights a week but if time was short we would search for dirt to drive on close to home. On one search for dirt mission we headed down Black Mt Peninsula on a Thursday night thinking no one would be around, but there was a heap of cars there and a lot of guys! The ones getting/giving blow jobs in the car park made us realise this was not a quiet spot to do some rallying Laughing

Perhaps I shouldn't have told our interstate soarer friend about this and sent him the the boys down there for some "night shots" Laughing
zasa
Regular

October 2004

Re: ppl in canberra..i need help Mon, 29 August 2005 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing what an interesting backdrop that would make.

Before this thread gets way off-topic. I reckon the AIS would make for some good shots. It's quite nice around those parts, especially near sunset. However, I havnt been there since they raped all them trees.
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: ppl in canberra..i need help Mon, 29 August 2005 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do remember that summernats is in down early jan....
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ppl in canberra..i need help Mon, 29 August 2005 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

do remember that summernats is in down early jan....

Good point for the Soarer guys to remember.

Summernats = heaps of cool cars in Canberra but it also = heaps of cops hassling modified cars Crying or Very Sad and also = very little accomodation avaialable during that weekend.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ppl in canberra..i need help Mon, 29 August 2005 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but wait these are soarers Surprised you can't take them out to the cotter, they can't handle the tight twisties well Laughing Laughing Razz they should be utilising their pimp factor and cruising through civic or braddon Laughing Razz

kidding, don't flame me, old soarers are class, I love them Cool , it the new ones I am more reffering to with that comment, (and I have proof when me and a mate went out there mr2 vs uz soarer Laughing )

sorry I had to say it Razz
TT_50AR
Regular

April 2005
Re: ppl in canberra..i need help Tue, 30 August 2005 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wiso wrote on Tue, 30 August 2005 08:47

kidding, don't flame me, old soarers are class, I love them Cool , it the new ones I am more reffering to with that comment, (and I have proof when me and a mate went out there mr2 vs uz soarer Laughing )

sorry I had to say it Razz

yeh but that was a uz soarer eg v8.. tthey have no chance
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: ppl in canberra..i need help Wed, 07 September 2005 01:24 Go to previous message
Could cram a few cars into the top of mount ainslie and get a panoram with the lake + city as a backdrop!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:JOINT CCG/TOYMODS CRUISE-N-MEET - Sunday - 11 September 2005
Next Topic:GO CARTING 11/9
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 11:09:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055201053619385 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.