Toymods » General Car Talk » AW11 owners anonymous

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 21 August 2005 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
old_mr2 wrote on Sat, 20 August 2005 22:43

cool thanks

the reason behind my car beginning to stall is kinda funny. I was running a dodgy air filter setup in the boot. On day my filter fell off so i just had a pipe. A scotch brite scourer that was in my boot got sucked through the pipe, through the afm and made it to the throttle butterfly.

Ever since it has been trying to stall at traffic lights, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesnt

thanks ill adjust the afm screw tomorrow

Laughing Laughing mate if it sucked up a scotch pad imagine what else it may have sucked up as well Shocked Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Razz Laughing
  Send a private message to this user    
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 21 August 2005 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was just watching "twins" on foxtel. (Arnie, devito etc) When Devito goes to steal the black BMW, this blonde chick in the background gets into a mint aw11 mr2, most likely brand new. Was classic to see it in a movie.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 21 August 2005 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spanktown wrote on Sat, 20 August 2005 12:31

no way, not a ram upgrade! Razz

Yep, unfortunately the language that we wrote our software in has a problem with memory usage, and tomcat just keeps chewing away. We've had the original writers of the language look in to the problems with some success but we still essentially have a problem.
Hopefully the new ram will keep it at bay for a while with the new users.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 21 August 2005 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just got back from todays run with the mr2 club. great time as usual/. long day.. left home at 6am and just got back !!. oh and i think im up for some new front brake pads Razz they kinda got a bit of a workout coming down the mountain..

old_mr2:

have you pulled out the AFM and assocuated pluming and checked if there is any more scotchbrite or other assored junk in there ?

spanktown:

there is a nice aw11 from memory in Idle Hands with jessica alba. looked good from memory.
1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 21 August 2005 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ill try here Smile

Im after a 42mm Crank and Rods ? Anyone ?
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 22 August 2005 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got some, but i need em for when i ever get around to building another 4agte. Razz

look for someone selling a 7 rib bigport/smallport 4age cheap.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 22 August 2005 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Sun, 21 August 2005 19:58

there is a nice aw11 from memory in Idle Hands with jessica alba. looked good from memory.

Jessica Alba, or the AW11? Surprised

I have tha movie on DVD, may be time to go back and watch it Wink for both reasons above Laughing
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 22 August 2005 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well both Razz although im not sold on jessica alba... milla jovovich though... mmmmmm.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 22 August 2005 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm... ghettoness and beer.
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 23 August 2005 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ghetto, you cant beat ghetto.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 23 August 2005 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spanktown wrote on Tue, 23 August 2005 11:12

is your car still going to come under the ghetto banner once youve spent all that money on it??? Very Happy
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 23 August 2005 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll let you decide, once i take you for a drive.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 23 August 2005 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good stuff cant wait Very Happy
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 23 August 2005 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

for sure, you wait till i do a little more and post pics of my new heat exchanger. gotta love epoxy glue... Razz
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 23 August 2005 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Tue, 23 August 2005 12:06

is your car still going to come under the ghetto banner once youve spent all that money on it??? Very Happy

That would be a big "YES" Laughing
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 23 August 2005 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how about, if my car doesnt burn to the ground before yours did, we call mine ghetto? Razz
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 23 August 2005 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spanktown wrote on Tue, 23 August 2005 21:18

how about, if my car doesnt burn to the ground before yours did, we call mine ghetto? Razz

thems a fight'n words
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 23 August 2005 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

HARSH!
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 23 August 2005 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats how fat likes it, nice and hard with no lube.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 24 August 2005 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spanktown wrote on Wed, 24 August 2005 07:51

Thats how fat likes it, nice and hard with no lube.

this is going to end in tears Laughing
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 24 August 2005 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I will laugh so fuckn hard if something happens to your car man Laughing Laughing Laughing

I look forward to the days that follow your car being finished Very Happy
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 24 August 2005 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wont!lol
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 24 August 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im more likely to understeer into a tree.
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 25 August 2005 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spanktown wrote on Wed, 24 August 2005 17:20

im more likely to understeer into a tree.

Either way Very Happy
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 25 August 2005 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats the widest rear tyre we can fit without any mods?
Starfire
Regular

December 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 25 August 2005 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davedave wrote on Sun, 21 August 2005 16:57

Yep, unfortunately the language that we wrote our software in has a problem with memory usage, and tomcat just keeps chewing away. We've had the original writers of the language look in to the problems with some success but we still essentially have a problem.

Hahah! I love it when developers throw money/hardware at code issues.

Eventually they find that it won't fix the problem and get the code corrected only to find that they now have a server that is way over specification Razz

Not that a server can ever really be too over-spec.

You should have at least 2 web servers in a load balanced cluster, especially if you are running Tomcat.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 25 August 2005 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Starfire wrote on Thu, 25 August 2005 22:31

davedave wrote on Sun, 21 August 2005 16:57

Hahah! I love it when developers throw money/hardware at code issues.

Eventually they find that it won't fix the problem and get the code corrected only to find that they now have a server that is way over specification Razz

Not that a server can ever really be too over-spec.

You should have at least 2 web servers in a load balanced cluster, especially if you are running Tomcat.

haha, and how is that not throwing hardware at the problem.

btw, load average is at like 0.1, so I really don't see any reason to load balance the server with another.

The problem is that when loading a crap load of highly inherited xml schemas in to memory it takes up a sh1te load of space. You add a new client on our system and hence add a whole bunch of new schemas, and you suddenly run in to a memory problem. Along with the usual problem of many more concurrent users have active objects/sessions floating around, and a language that seems to use a lot more memory than it should and not 'garbage collect' properly. And you get a strictly memory problem.

I love it when people think they know everything Wink

Edit: gave away a little too much information about me Smiley =

[Updated on: Thu, 25 August 2005 13:28]

Starfire
Regular

December 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 25 August 2005 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, I'm sorry. I must have missed the memo stating that RAM isn't hardware.

As for tomcat load isn't really the issue, stability is.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 25 August 2005 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude, take it easy.

RAM is hardware, and so is another server that you suggested we impliment without adding hardware.

And there's no problem whatsoever with tomcats stability.

Anyways, this is a silly conversation to be having in an aw11 thread. I'll run my company, you run yours.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 25 August 2005 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spanktown wrote on Thu, 25 August 2005 18:36

ive seen 225's fit no worries guess it depends on the ofsett aswell
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

There's a thread at MR2OC all about this one MKI Wheel/Tire Sizing - Look Here for What Works . There are guys there running 235/40-17 with no guard rolling or other mods and also at least one running 245's with rolled guards. Take special note of the wheel offsets.

The biggest problem is finding 17x8 or 17x8.5 rims with a 4x100 PCD. I have been looking around for a while and keep coming up blank. Sure you can special order Volks etc and there are several places in the US selling appropriate wheels but the cost is a bit extreme. I might end up just running 225's on my 16x7s.

Oh none of the 235 or 245 options are legal either they are all significantly too lrge in diameter and require a wheel too wide for the car to be legal. I suspect they'd also make the car over track. I'll be keeping my tear drops just in case Wink
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
225's it is then.
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

As 4agte said 225 are no prob, i have hat them on my car in a 225 45 16, but as josh said the OD is very marginal in respect to the 15mm od rule. Mine were on rims with a 35mm offset and with the lips rolled right back into the gaurds, can get some pics if you like and with running about 3 degrees neg was no prob, mind you this was with the superlow springs ie less than 100mm from the ground.

Things to note, it is possible to get a 225 40 16 but not many make this size so this helps keep the OD legal and gives you a touch more clearance.

I dont see any reason why you could not run even upto 245 but ride height, offset and gaurd mods are critical.

The OD rule is only for speedo error anyway. i assume your car is going to be engineered with the turbo ? why not get the engineer to look at wider wheel tyre options at the same time.

With the weight of the car he will be happy to sign off up to 7.5 inch wide (Wheels), you may even get away with 8 inch depending on the weight of the car, just so long as all the clearances are OK. Yuo can go larger than 15mm OD but the speedo will have to be recalibrated etc

with a
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
speedo recalibration is $$$$ from what i hear 250buks or something???
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
who needs speedo calibration ! haha, some guy i knew with an sc aw11 drove around for a year with no speedo.
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spanktown wrote on Fri, 26 August 2005 14:36

who needs speedo calibration ! haha, some guy i knew with an sc aw11 drove around for a year with no speedo.

Yeh, that was me Laughing Laughing

Yuo are right you really dont need it....i speak from expeience......but if you want the engineer to certify tyres that are more tham 15mm over stock then you will Very Happy

You should be able to get away with it for under $200, i had it done on my V8 Beddy Evil or Very Mad
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are two big problem with running 245's. First is that nobody makes a low profile 16 inch 245. Second is that even when engineered you are limmitted to "1 inch wider than the widest factory wheel on the axle that you are using". This means for an AW11 in theory you're only allowed to go for 7 inch rims. I know there are engineers out there who would pass it anyway but they're a little sketchy to say the least. I'll be happily telling my engineer that I am using SW20 rear axles when I get it certified, I don't know what the rules really say about independant rear ends as when I read them it wasn't mentioned.
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i suppose i dont really NEED more than a good set of 205 rubber, BUT the wider it is, the more kudos i get.
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Josh,

You are right about the 245s and finding an appropriate tyre will be difficult if not impossible to keep within the 15mm rule.

but when we are talking about getting it engineered then it opens up a lot more possibilities of what can be done just owner certified.

Appreciate what you say about the 1 inch bigger than the axel loads etc.

From the light vehicle code of practice an engineering signatory can sign off rim widths for post1973 model cars in accordance to ADR 24 for vehicles between 801 to 1200 kg rim width increases up to 39mm over the maximum standard rim width, that is 6 inch can go up to 7.5 inch Note if the car is over 1200 kg then you can go up 51mm that is 8 inch (which you may be able to do in your 3SGTE) how much does it weigh BTW.

Remember this is only applicable if its engineered, and it still has to meet the maximum increase in track etc. The two engineers i have spoken to have no prob with 7.5 inch wheels with the GZE as it weighs 1120 kg, based on the offsets and wheel and tyre loads we were talking about.

up to 25mm increases are "owner certifiable" for over that you need to see the engineer. There are other requirements for track and clearance issues these comments are only for the rim widths
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hrrm so if your car weighs in at over 1200kg on say a weigh bridge when you go to get it engineered you can have up to 8" wide rims huh???
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Fri, 26 August 2005 16:13

hrrm so if your car weighs in at over 1200kg on say a weigh bridge when you go to get it engineered you can have up to 8" wide rims huh???

That is my understanding but it is not THAT simple.

8 inch is the max for a car weighing over 1200 kg post 73 with a max standard rim width of 6 inch. But the engineer must be convinced that erything else is in order in terms of clearances (under all conditions of travel and steering and in the event of a flat tyre etc, track width, overall with, tyre protrusion and a whole shed load of other things. each case need to be individually assessed and engineered.

Go to the RTA and order the Code Of Practice for light vehicle modification or you may be able to down load some of the basic owner certified mods
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm sure the car mass is not based on the modified weight though. Just like for engine conversions it is the standard weight as per the rego papers for the car. Otherwise you could put a bunch of balast in the car for the engineering certificate. Or worst still make the car a lot heavier and then run a wider wheel which will increase the bearing loads making it less safe.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh ok yeah i have that in hardcopy form but sometimes you need to be an engineer to decipher it which i am not...

I noticed your post in the other forum about fiberglassing...

I have a fiberglassing book or 2 that i just got from the states one is called competition car composites which tells you which composite materials are usefuill in racing/cars including how to make the moulds and even making things like carbon fiber and hybrid composites like carbon firbre with aramid or carbon fiber with fiberglass for example.

Let us know if your ineterested
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joshstix wrote on Fri, 26 August 2005 16:31

I'm sure the car mass is not based on the modified weight though. Just like for engine conversions it is the standard weight as per the rego papers for the car. Otherwise you could put a bunch of balast in the car for the engineering certificate. Or worst still make the car a lot heavier and then run a wider wheel which will increase the bearing loads making it less safe.

i meant if you were getting your car engineered under the owner built classification dont you then have to get the car weighed etc etc...

Also adding things like a 3sgte big i/c sound system bigger brakes etc etc all adds weight.
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joshstix wrote on Fri, 26 August 2005 16:31

Nope, dont think so.

You are right about the engine conversion side tho its based on the original weight of the car befor the engine swap.

however quoting from the hand book. " Maximum permitted rim width for a particular vehicle is determined by its tare weight (10 litres of fuel, no occupants or luggage) in accordance to the following table"

So no its as the car stands and no you cant ballast it up Laughing Laughing but that sounds like a good idea.

From my understanding the engineer has to witness the weight anyway so its up to them i suppose

There is certain data that has to be recorded on the certificate including tare weight, tyre size ,load and speed rating, rim width and dia, track dims, analysis against section 3.8.5 and justification for all the mods etc etc

If the car is heavier due to the engine swap etc then the engineer must br happy with all the structural components are satisfactory for the increased power output, weight, overall braking and distribution etc that would also have to be included on the original then updated certificate to include all the mods
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my rego papers state exactly what my weight bridge ticket had on it. 1100kg and that was with about 30L of fuel onboard, spare tyre. no tools. my engineering paperwork has the number taken straight from that ticket.. infact he told me "drive around the corner to the weigh bridge and get it weighed"
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh and davedave how did you go with the single piston st185 brakes ? i have bought a pair of them and am planning on putting them on my car with the 288mm rotors. and swapping the twin pistons with 257 rotors back to erins car.

what had to be done as far as fitment ? was it as simple as redrilling the 5x100 into 4x100 and bobs your uncle. ?
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof i am doing this atm aswell i belive that the st185 gt4 discs have a 1mm larger center locating hole alltho i dont know if this will affect it too much. Other than that you will need 15" rims to clear them and other than that the redrilling is all that is needed i belive acording to the dba catalogue.

I would be keen to hear how this conversion goes with you guys i was thinking of maybee using a brake biasing valve to adjust the pressure front rear aswell

[Updated on: Fri, 26 August 2005 07:04]

GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Fri, 26 August 2005 16:35

ahh ok yeah i have that in hardcopy form but sometimes you need to be an engineer to decipher it which i am not...

I noticed your post in the other forum about fiberglassing...

I have a fiberglassing book or 2 that i just got from the states one is called competition car composites which tells you which composite materials are usefuill in racing/cars including how to make the moulds and even making things like carbon fiber and hybrid composites like carbon firbre with aramid or carbon fiber with fiberglass for example.

Let us know if your ineterested

yep that would be good. I was hoping to get all the supplies today but had my hand full, hope to get out there next week, the place i was speaking to has a design engineer there and he was really helpful so he said he will sit down with me a give me a crash course.

Also had some coil overs in my hot hands yesterday, Teins for a MRS, all i have to do now is get the current owner to part with them. Paul Woods makes the adaptation look easy so i think i will go that way if i can get them cheap. Otherwise its back to modification of the std struts (thanks for those pics again Josh very helpful) actually on that topic Josh have you got and contact details for the people that made yours ?
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you need to part with your struts shocks springs etc let me know im in the market for some adjustable shocks atm
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spanktown wrote on Fri, 26 August 2005 15:53

i suppose i dont really NEED more than a good set of 205 rubber, BUT the wider it is, the more kudos i get.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

you need to check out Paul Woods car from TWOBRUTAL i think he was running something like 285s Evil or Very Mad or something like that, how many kudos do you get for that Shocked

seriously the 215 45 16 bridgstones i have areawesome (not as good as the dunlop DO1Js but i would not be using them on the road for too long, you would end up with a hearing dissability Laughing) ,but obviously you hope to be making a fair bit more pooowah than i have to play with Evil or Very Mad
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
going off the DBA catalogue the st185 rotors are almost identical bar thickness and diameter.

diam/height/thickness/centre hole diam
DBA750 (standard aw11) - 258/47/22/54
DBA743 ST185 - 278/46/25/54

both being 54mm hub hole they should be fine to interchange. the hat height is only 1mm diff which i imagine will be taken up by the caliper anyway.. regardless it should be taken up by a difference in pad wear id imagine.

so its just the diamater and the PCD. so im keen to find out how they go.. i too am thinking a bias adjustment valve might be worthwile.. any ideas on cost ? ive never looked into it as the twins ive got now bring the bias to the front and feels great if anything a little more predicatable then the fairly neurtal bias that comes standard.
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Fri, 26 August 2005 17:08

if you need to part with your struts shocks springs etc let me know im in the market for some adjustable shocks atm

Ok will keep that in mind...but what is wrong with yours ?

you may have to be careful if you are currently running shorter stroke struts your springs may fall out Laughing Laughing

also if anyone is in the market for some TRD springs and inserts i know someone who can get them i think around $1300
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh and another thing.. has anyone investigated a larger radiator ? on last weekends drive giving it quite a toasting it started to get hotter.. the guage still read exactly normal but the air coming from the heater felt noticably hotter.. ill know how much hotter once i get my multi probe temp guages going Smile with a bit of luck the new LCD i bought yesterday will do the trick.. ill know on saturday as i have the rest of the bits at work.
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Fri, 26 August 2005 17:17

going off the DBA catalogue the st185 rotors are almost identical bar thickness and diameter.

diam/height/thickness/centre hole diam
DBA750 (standard aw11) - 258/47/22/54
DBA743 ST185 - 278/46/25/54

both being 54mm hub hole they should be fine to interchange. the hat height is only 1mm diff which i imagine will be taken up by the caliper anyway.. regardless it should be taken up by a difference in pad wear id imagine.

so its just the diamater and the PCD. so im keen to find out how they go.. i too am thinking a bias adjustment valve might be worthwile.. any ideas on cost ? ive never looked into it as the twins ive got now bring the bias to the front and feels great if anything a little more predicatable then the fairly neurtal bias that comes standard.

I will be very interested to see how these go especially the brake balance.

Toof you are saying you have twin spot calipers on the car allready ? You also say it brings the bias towards the front ? do you mean more braking from the front ?

If anything in my experience i would want more braking from the rear. In the past it has a much greater tendancy to lock the fronts first especially in the wet. Also on the track even in dry progressive braking (threshold) the fronts still tend to lock earlier. My understanding was the front brake bias from the factory is there as unskilled drivers are better dealing with understeer not oversteer and the car is designed to smash head on not go in sideways or offset, subsequently they have a front brake bias. Dont get me wrong i think the standard brakes are fantastic, there is nothing i have thrown at them either on the road or the track that has ever been a problem. but to get maximum braking you need to get some weight transfer forward before really planting your foot on the brake, otherwise you will definitely get premature front wheel lock up

Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My car goes brrroooom.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Fri, 26 August 2005 17:17

ahh the hat height yes thats what it was and its nothing that you couldnt get machined anyways
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spanktown wrote on Fri, 26 August 2005 18:14

My car goes brrroooom.

when u picking me up Very Happy
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spanktown wrote on Fri, 26 August 2005 18:14

My car goes brrroooom.

Sweeeeeet !! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

how about broooooooom psss broooooooom psssss broooooooooom ?

when can we go for a spin ? how much does it cost for a ride? amusement park style ????????
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Fri, 26 August 2005 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
yup im currently running twin pistons from an early model ST185 (same as the st165 units)

they are a bolt on job, just trim a bit of the dust shield off they they are a perfect fit to the stock rotors and lines.

as far as bias in concerned i always felt the stock units were fairly flat as far as bias is concerned. i have to admit i have never driven my car further then up the driveway with the stock brakes so i cant comment. when i got it engineered i put the twins on so i could get it all on the one lot of paperwork.
however on erins car this could be a worn out caliper issue etc but the balance was always so neutral that it locked the front only slightly infront of the backs and just never seemed to stop as hard as it should. to give you an idea my st184 stopped way harder.
hence putting the twins on. it stopped HEAPS harder but the balance was moved towards the front making the front lock up before the backs. however you definantly noticed any inadequacies in the front tyres breaking performance. i prefer the balance towards the front i feel it makes it a little more surefootted under breaking coming at a corner downhill especially. i felt with the neutral bias it would make the back end feel a little edgy especially when the surface was less then perfect.

moving the balance forward i felt kept the back in check a little more.

Im going to go for the big singles on mine as my pad choice for the twins is a little limited where the big singles have more pads avaliable. then put the twins back on erins car as it demands a little less on the pads.

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/3286/img11785no.th.jpg
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/6425/img11821sa.th.jpg

the hat i wouldnt feel comfortable machining 1mm out of id feel better having the rotor sit 1mm further inboard and have the pad wear take up the difference.
Pages (84): [ «  <  58  59  60  61  62  63  64  65  66  67  68  69  70  71  72  73  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ACT Spotted
Next Topic:importing or buying a celica XX
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 15:11:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01626992225647 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.