Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Thu, 25 August 2005 10:11 Go to next message
At work, bored. Thought i would share with you all info and pics of the beams 3sge conversion i carried out a couple weeks ago.

Took about a week all up, really had to rush towards the end and get back to tasmania, so some things i wasn't happy with, such as radiator piping being less then ideal, using the old 4age accelerator cable which i was told was too short but still got it to work. Razz

here's a pic of the old fella. Which i never got to drive, and sounded rouph and didn't rev as well as it should. Later i will explian why.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~urantiacjd/mr2pics/IMG_3903.jpg

Here is the new heart, and what a sweet piece of work this engine is! cam cover is just sitting on top btw.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~urantiacjd/mr2pics/IMG_3906.jpg

Prepare old 4age for removal out the bottom of the car. But wait whats all this extra wiring! OH FUCK! it's an aftermarket alarm system with it's tentacles spread out thru the whole car and engine wiring harness! CRAP! Oh well we leave that for now.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~urantiacjd/mr2pics/IMG_3909.jpg

http://members.iinet.net.au/~urantiacjd/mr2pics/IMG_3911.jpg

After many hours of thinking how to get the engine out from the car, we find that cardboard and sliding works a treat.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~urantiacjd/mr2pics/IMG_3913.jpg

Cousin seeing if fred flinstone powered is the way to go.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~urantiacjd/mr2pics/IMG_3915.jpg

About day 3 and we have the new engine kinda in place.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~urantiacjd/mr2pics/IMG_3916.jpg
  Send a private message to this user    
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. (56k warning) Thu, 25 August 2005 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh bugger need to separate the Alternator and starter Wiring from the old loom!
http://members.iinet.net.au/~urantiacjd/mr2pics/IMG_3920.jpg

Finalizing some of the wiring.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~urantiacjd/mr2pics/IMG_3921.jpg

Lookin Good!
http://members.iinet.net.au/~urantiacjd/mr2pics/IMG_3922.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~urantiacjd/mr2pics/IMG_3923.jpg

All done!
http://members.iinet.net.au/~urantiacjd/mr2pics/IMG_3934.jpg

So now it's time to start it up! will it work? AwW! :(- it sounds shit!! ruff as guts and doesn't want to rev much. Got hot real quick too. But at least that aftermarket alarm system isn't a problem.

So think about it for a little while and bam it clicks! It's running lean as a bitch. Which also made me relize why the 4AGE was runnin like crap becuase it was runnin way too lean! was also gettin code 25 lean condition.

So race down to repco to get a new fuel filter, then started the beams up, and what a sigh of relief! MUCH SMOOTHER! and willing to rev!!! And the cuase of the lean condition on the 4age all along! Still wonder if the stock 4age fuel pump is up to the task to keep the beams well fed.

Took it for a test drive but got a code 39, VVTI wasn not functioning, turns out the VVTI connector was broken, $200 later it's all workin sweet! now back to tas. :(-

If i had more time to spend on it i would of done the Acc cable properly, Radiator hoses where the filler cap is higher then the engine and also using less pipes for less chance to spring a leak, was very hard to find the right shapped hoses. Also would look into getting an oil cooler hooked up, oil catch can and bigger fuel pump such as a 3sgte one.

All up not too hard of a conversion (not a walk in the park tho). Most of the hardwork was done via Charliemr2 who fabricated the engine mount for the front of the engine.

Notes: boot lock bit needed cutting so it didn't foul the intake chamber, Battery box needed cutting so it didn't foul the starter motor, overflow bottle needed relocation, and air intake is massivly restricted thru the stock air pipes.

[Updated on: Mon, 14 November 2005 09:39]

toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Thu, 25 August 2005 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmmm very nice. i imagine it would move alright too Smile
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Thu, 25 August 2005 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes i was very impressed, excellent power to weight ratio with this combo, now i want one. :(-
dr trim
Regular

March 2005
Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Thu, 25 August 2005 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry for the ignorance, but what's the difference between a 3sge and a Beams 3sge. and why not a 3sgte??

<-- noob Laughing
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Thu, 25 August 2005 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
210hp NA mmmm... lots of revs nice spinning engine...

there is something to be said for a NA screamer engine..

being able to drive both mr2's whilst the SC is buckets faster then the NA but the NA is really fun to drive. almost more fun around town in comparison.
dr trim
Regular

March 2005
Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Thu, 25 August 2005 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
admited wickedly powerful NA engines have their own way of rising ur paddle Laughing
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Thu, 25 August 2005 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's awesome, well done!
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Thu, 25 August 2005 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanx davedave Surprised

And if anybody is interested that 4age engine is still sitting in the shed forsale cheap! (VIC)
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Thu, 25 August 2005 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Holy shit awesome, I was just today wondering if anyone could east / west configure a beams 3s, except i was thinking of it in a Camry for some reason Razz

At any rate, nice work!
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Thu, 25 August 2005 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the stock 4age fuel pump as long as its in good condition the 3sge beams wont be able to produce enough power in n/a form to worry the fuel pump
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Fri, 26 August 2005 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
peeack wrote on Fri, 26 August 2005 03:58

Holy shit awesome, I was just today wondering if anyone could east / west configure a beams 3s, except i was thinking of it in a Camry for some reason Razz

At any rate, nice work!

it comes stock on E-W config. late model ST202 and late SW20's both had it mounted EW
Senor_2
Regular

September 2003
Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Fri, 26 August 2005 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice work; the BEAMS engine would suit the AW11 chassis nicely, would be a lot of fun to drive!
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Fri, 26 August 2005 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof: also on caldina's i beleive which this engine came from. The gearbox was an sw20 5speed LSD if memory serves me correctly.

peeack: i don't see why it wouldn't work in a camry either. or a celica. I think my next ocnversion is putting one of these in my mums sv21 Razz and my friends celica 162. The only think i'm unsure about is if that sw20 GB could be used. I have a hunch that it would work.

4agte: thats good to know! i wasn't too sure, i recomended my cousin go get it on a dyno, to see what the A/F ratio's look like.

Senor_2: it's as if the engine was made to go there Razz only small changes had to be made to fit the engine. Rear springs may need to be stiffer to take the extra weight, about 50-90kg heavier at the back.

[Updated on: Fri, 26 August 2005 02:52]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Fri, 26 August 2005 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Regarding mounts, all factory AW11 mounts were used, with a custom front engine mount?

Or factory caldina mounts, with a custom front?

Beams gearbox too? (6speed?)
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Fri, 26 August 2005 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pretty certain the gearbox mount was off a 4agze! the front engine mount was custom made to shift the bolt holes over about an inch or two to bolt to the original rubber mount.

The other two mounts that support the engine block on both sides were the old stock mounts from the 4age. I should of taken pics of them, darn it!

a beams 6 speed would of been icing on the cake! but came with a 5 speed sw20 lsd box. Looked rather identicle to a 3s celica gearbox as if the gear shifter linkages could go straight onto this box.

[Updated on: Fri, 26 August 2005 03:03]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Fri, 26 August 2005 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool

g/f dad has an AW11, I'd love to make it an SW11!!
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Fri, 26 August 2005 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think it's such a kick ass combo! 1050kg car with 200Hp engine and RWD. Evil or Very Mad must resist selling supra!

The hydualic clutch line unbolts from the old box and bolts right into the slave cylinder of the new box.

The other thing was pressing out the old hubs from the old drive shafts and getting them pressed onto the new thicker driveshafts, cost about $50 each, new wheel bearings about $100ea.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~urantiacjd/mr2pics/IMG_3908.jpg
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Fri, 26 August 2005 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it wouldnt hurt to chuck it on the dyno to make sure the fuel pump is still in good nick but i know pleanty of people making 200hp in n/a aw11's with gze transplants and they arent having any problems if anything they are runningn rich
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Fri, 26 August 2005 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Fri, 26 August 2005 11:36

peeack wrote on Fri, 26 August 2005 03:58

At any rate, nice work!

it comes stock on E-W config. late model ST202 and late SW20's both had it mounted EW

Oh, I had no idea. I thought they were only available NS in Altezzas.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Fri, 26 August 2005 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
didn't some of the caldina's get it too
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Fri, 26 August 2005 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Fri, 26 August 2005 15:14

didn't some of the caldina's get it too

dingaling wrote

also on caldina's i beleive which this engine came from

bit behind huh...

[Updated on: Fri, 26 August 2005 05:22]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Fri, 26 August 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shhh i didn't read the posts above the last picture
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Fri, 26 August 2005 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I saw this car at Toyospares (melb) a couple of days ago. sounds really nice Very Happy
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Fri, 26 August 2005 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey trippy man! that's so cool!

Altho i just relized it could of been charliemr2's mr2 if that made sense. He has an identicle aw11 with a redtop beams. And some ultra stiff suspension! hes's sellin it for $16k here on toymods.
superaw11
Regular

September 2002
Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Fri, 26 August 2005 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That is absolutely stunning!
Great job,now when can you do mine ?
What a brilliant track car that thing would be when the suspension is sorted,who needs an elise ? Wink
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Fri, 26 August 2005 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
great looking conversion. Smile
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Fri, 26 August 2005 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thank you gentlemen, thank you very much. *bows*

Whats the elise about 750kg with 180HP 1.8lt 2zz engine? pretty impressive! i dunno which would be faster, 750kg vs 1tonne. Then agian beams 3sge would have more torque then the 2zz.

Slappa me a thousand and i do conversion for you
Razz
But in all seriousness it wasn't too hard, and i highly recomend it, and will offer help to anyone also going down this route. No doubt i will be trying to shoehorn this engine into a celica st162 shortly.
superaw11
Regular

September 2002
Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Sat, 27 August 2005 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What's with the OLD PORT Goon sac carton in the pics ?
Is the Beams tuned to run on Old Port perhaps ?
It will likely be cheaper than petrol soon so good thinking on that. Wink

[Updated on: Sat, 27 August 2005 13:39]

dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Sat, 27 August 2005 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Har! yeah when i found out it didn't run on Jim Beams i tried port, The mr2 fell off it's jack stands.

superaw11
Regular

September 2002
Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Sat, 27 August 2005 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dingaling wrote on Sun, 28 August 2005 00:15

Har! yeah when i found out it didn't run on Jim Beams i tried port, The mr2 fell off it's jack stands.

Haha nice reply Laughing

Seriously now,I would love to see how this car performs on a track with decent suspension and brakes.
By rights it should be very fast with a decent driver in any under 2ltr NA race class.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Sat, 27 August 2005 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much are Beams 3S-GEs? I woulda thought the engine would cost more than the AW11 itself. Confused
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Sun, 28 August 2005 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
superaw11: First corner my cousin took when we took it for a test drive i was clinging on for dear life, I've never accelerated thru a hairpin like that! i so badly need to get some decent suspension into my supra! On closer inspection turns out my cousin's mr2 has koni adjustables on it. Cousin didn't even notice.

Shraka: The engine package was about $2500 i think we got it for.
that included the beams engine, computer, loom/wiring and custom made exaust made by charlie mr2, which i was very impressed with.

Then he threw the gearbox in with it and appropriate driveshafts which i think added another $1000 to the price. So not a bad price, as i always thought the beams engine alone was around $5,000.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Sun, 28 August 2005 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow thats a fantastic price for the engine.. and an equally impressive price for the gearbox. looks like you have got a really good deal as they are generally much more.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Sun, 28 August 2005 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i thought so too. My cousin was about to spend about $5000 on a silvertop 20valve conversion, Then i found this beams combo forsale on toymods and told him to buy that instead and i'll come over and install it, all i asked was that he pay me a weeks wages since i took a week off work to do it.

If i can find another beams engine for that much i'm snapping it up Razz (if i'm quick enough)

I suppose the FWD beams engines are cheaper then the altezza RWD ones too.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Sun, 28 August 2005 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah its a particularly good price as tbe beams engines arnt cheap and the e153 box seems to be the holy grail of toyota boxes.
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Sun, 28 August 2005 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow! kudos on the great engine conversion! Can't wait to see the 1J in your supra.
dr trim
Regular

March 2005
Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Sun, 28 August 2005 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how does looming connect up? as in does everything work like it used to?

-speedo
-engine lights
etc etc

and what about aircon? did you hook that up, can it be hooked up?
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Mon, 29 August 2005 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof: charlie was really quite pissed off he let the gerabox go with it, He really regretted selling it. I would of thought the 6 speed would be the holy grail with these boxes? I don't even want to know how much they cost.

negative boost: Thanx Sam. Not long now! i'll ring up the import place today and see what they have to say about that dam halfcut that should of been here months ago! 7mgte will be yours soon!

dr trim: Yeah everything connected up, except for 3 wires that we needed to hook up to a custom connector, one was the alternator, the other was the ignition and i think the 3rd may of been the injector relay or may have been starter relay.

I'm not sure if the Aircon would connect up or not, the beams engine didn't come with one and the old 4age one didn't look like it would carry over. So we just ditched it.

Speedo was one thing that was acting erratic, and i suspect it had another wire attached to it to make it do funny things, unfortunatly i did not have enough time to diagnose and fix that. All engine lights etc worked and everything else worked fine.

Sorry not the speedo, the tacho was acting erraticly, the speedo worked perfectly fine as the speedo cable goes straight into the new gearbox. The tacho would sorta jump up and down around the 2000rpm area, obviously getting some sort of up and down voltage from the incorrect wire.

[Updated on: Mon, 29 August 2005 00:12]

toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Beams 3sge into AW11 MR2 conversion. Mon, 29 August 2005 00:42 Go to previous message
dingaling wrote on Mon, 29 August 2005 10:10

toof: charlie was really quite pissed off he let the gerabox go with it, He really regretted selling it. I would of thought the 6 speed would be the holy grail with these boxes? I don't even want to know how much they cost.

naa the 6 speed from the rs200 isnt that rare. infact i have this odd feeling it is the same box (different bellhousing) as the nissan s15.

the e153 is the EW transaxle im assuming you have got and put in there. they sell for anything up to $2000 second hand !! crazy i know but its what oeple re asking for them.. off hand they are about $1500US NEW from toyota usa.

but you will be struggling to find a stronger toyota transaxle.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:@ someone with toyota EPC that contains UCF11
Next Topic:Can U get new lenses for 86 parkers instead of the whole assembly?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 10:12:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.018050909042358 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.