Toymods » General Car Talk » Someone Help: MR2 Bathurst

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
kyler
Occasional Poster

March 2003
icon9.gif  Someone Help: MR2 Bathurst Mon, 30 August 2004 00:26 Go to next message
Hi guys,

My little brother has asked me to look around on the internet for the prices of SW20 MR2's which he hopes to purchase in the near future.

He is after an n/a model MR2 to save on insurance costs (as he has already lost his license before) and frankly, the world is a better place with him in a slower car Razz

Now what I need to know is what the Bathurst MR2 actually is compared to the standard n/a. They appear to be 5-8k more expensive than a plain old n/a MR2 which you can pick up for around 15k.

He had a look at a 1996 Bathurst for 24k and I thought that was very expensive for a non-turbo MR2. Perhaps you guys can shed the light for me.

Thanks...
  Send a private message to this user    
Farmsci ST162
Regular

August 2003
Re: Someone Help: MR2 Bathurst Mon, 30 August 2004 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
someone correct me if im wrong but i believe the bathurst edition is a series of suspension revisions and the 3rd generation 3s-ge engine (125kw over the standard 117kw)

more powerful, sportier suspension.

perhaps not what you should be encouraging your brother to buy
kyler
Occasional Poster

March 2003
Re: Someone Help: MR2 Bathurst Mon, 30 August 2004 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've done some research and apparently it was a Aussie special edition version that is lighter, and has upgraded valves, higher compression, etc...

I guess though when you can get a normal n/a MR2 for 15k, it's not worth it for him to be paying 5-8k more for the bathurst version. Might be more of a collectors edition but what does he care.
Farmsci ST162
Regular

August 2003
Re: Someone Help: MR2 Bathurst Mon, 30 August 2004 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
true, my mates little bro just bought a regular sw20 and he said its more than quick enough and still loads of fun to drive anyways.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Someone Help: MR2 Bathurst Mon, 30 August 2004 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bathurst and GT were the models sold around 1996 Bathurst was around $46K GT up to $60K brand new. Both had the same naturally aspirated 2.0l engine putting out 129kw and I think 186 nm of torque.
Second hand should be around $18K or less depending on kays and gearbox. Freind at school his brother has one with 300k kms and is still going strong.
dylusion
Regular

May 2002
Re: Someone Help: MR2 Bathurst Mon, 30 August 2004 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am not a MR2 nut but have been told on a number of occasions to steer clear of any pre 92 SW's. From 92 onwards there was a big suspension revision to fix the snap oversteer issues the 90 and 91 models had. I think they possibly had Bilstein's... not sure tho.

Snap oversteer is not cool! Smile
AlexT
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: Someone Help: MR2 Bathurst Mon, 30 August 2004 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have a look at redbook.com.au and drive.com.au for information on prices and specifications.

The Bathurst and GT MR2s started in February 1994 and went through until the end of 1999.

Styling was updated, new tail lights amongst other things. The suspension was revised, and the 3rd generation of the 3S-GE engine was introduced.

The GT included just about everything standard. At first, air conditioning was the only option. In the later years there was also metallic paint and a two-tone paint option.

The Bathurst is an Australia-only model. Basically it is a stripped down GT, which made it cheaper and a little lighter. No power steering, no cruise control, no leather interior, etc. It was possible to option up a Bathurst, but not to full GT spec.

The reason for the higher prices is that the Bathurst is a newer, updated model.

I advise your brother to get some insurance quotes before buying. These are not cheap cars to insure, even in naturally aspirated form.
scrote
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Someone Help: MR2 Bathurst Mon, 30 August 2004 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
actually there was a 91 bathurst. not much diff just was a few kw more with a limited paint option.
as far as i know that was it,selling gimick really.

n/a can be seen as low as 12k these days and most people can be bargained done due to lack of interest.
StreetweaponX
Occasional Poster

November 2004

Re: Someone Help: MR2 Bathurst Fri, 03 December 2004 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Basically the 'bathurst' model is the Aussie name given to the late 93+ models upwards, which are the ones with the rounded tail-lights, or so referred to as the 'bathurst tail lights'.
LiL_MiC
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Someone Help: MR2 Bathurst Sat, 04 December 2004 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think the bathurst model is a bit stripped down from the base. no power steering, no abs etc.

check out the sw20 faq in the toyota faq section on twincam.org

it also the gen 3 3sge rather than the gen 2.

[Updated on: Sat, 04 December 2004 04:42]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Someone Help: MR2 Bathurst Sat, 04 December 2004 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"Basically the 'bathurst' model is the Aussie name given to the late 93+ models upwards, which are the ones with the rounded tail-lights, or so referred to as the 'bathurst tail lights'."

very informed opinion :\

re-read AlexT's post - bathurst and GT were released here, with bathurst been a more hard-core racer model (with very vew of the luxury options)

nowadays bathurst and GT are of a comparable price, so your brother just needs to work out whether he wants all the cushy options, or a lighter, more performance based car.
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Someone Help: MR2 Bathurst Sat, 04 December 2004 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds kinda like your brother draven, come to think of it Very Happy
scrote
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Someone Help: MR2 Bathurst Sat, 04 December 2004 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the bathurts models started in 91!!! but the rounded style lights were not fitted till 93.

if you lookin at buyin get a 93+ mr2. better handling etc etc.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: Someone Help: MR2 Bathurst Sat, 04 December 2004 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StreetweaponX wrote on Fri, 03 December 2004 21:54

Basically the 'bathurst' model is the Aussie name given to the late 93+ models upwards, which are the ones with the rounded tail-lights, or so referred to as the 'bathurst tail lights'.

Dude, you've serisously got to stop digging up every old sw20 thread.
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Someone Help: MR2 Bathurst Sat, 04 December 2004 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
geeees everyone, u just KEEP telling newbies to use that bloody search function, now look what you've done!
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: Someone Help: MR2 Bathurst Sat, 04 December 2004 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, our fault completely.

We should really explain to check the date (highlighted in pink in the picture below) and define a time period for them to not reply to a thread after.

eg, use the search and don't post to a thread that is more than 2 weeks old. Smiley =

Obviously we can't leave it up to common sense anymore as it was thought that the original thread starter had been sitting around with his thumb up his @rse waiting for 3 months to find out what the difference was in a bathurst mr2 Rolling Eyes

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~wtf/other/checkdate.jpg
LiL_MiC
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Someone Help: MR2 Bathurst Sun, 05 December 2004 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you better have just happen to have photoshop open or whatever, or you have too much time on your hands Laughing
AlexT
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: Someone Help: MR2 Bathurst Sun, 05 December 2004 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scrote wrote on Sun, 05 December 2004 01:45

the bathurts models started in 91!!! but the rounded style lights were not fitted till 93.

if you lookin at buyin get a 93+ mr2. better handling etc etc.

This 1991 Bathurst intrigues me. I haven't heard of it before. Anyone know more about it?
scrote
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Someone Help: MR2 Bathurst Sun, 05 December 2004 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey dont blame me. some one posted before i did. i just cheak the date of the LAST post not the starting one.
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Someone Help: MR2 Bathurst Mon, 06 December 2004 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bathurst was actully 94 - 96 then the aus GT came in 96 - 99, if there were bathurths mr2's in 93 it was very late 93. and 93 did get the suspension upgrade, however there is nothing wrong with the
suspension in 89 - 92 mr2's they are more race orientated, in other words better suited for someone that can drive and control the car well, if they plan to use the speed around the corners of course where the upgraded suspension was to accomidate the not so advance drivers, the intermediate, as the stability is increased.

scrote
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Someone Help: MR2 Bathurst Mon, 06 December 2004 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm well my car had bathurst model on the build plate and rego pappers and was deff a 91 model.........

i would have to beg to differ.
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Someone Help: MR2 Bathurst Mon, 06 December 2004 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha i remember seeing those bathurst Mr2's going for like 60+K and then all the turbo ones started to come out!!how much of a knoob would you feel if you paid that type of coin and then the better quicker version came out? answer: pretty nooblike!
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Someone Help: MR2 Bathurst Tue, 07 December 2004 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR. 2 wrote on Mon, 06 December 2004 14:44

bathurst was actully 94 - 96 then the aus GT came in 96 - 99, if there were bathurths mr2's in 93 it was very late 93. and 93 did get the suspension upgrade, however there is nothing wrong with the
suspension in 89 - 92 mr2's they are more race orientated, in other words better suited for someone that can drive and control the car well, if they plan to use the speed around the corners of course where the upgraded suspension was to accomidate the not so advance drivers, the intermediate, as the stability is increased.

Amen brother, I drive a '91 SW20, I have to really really try to even get the thing to get sideways in corners, never had this snap steering that's been spoken about, the thing drives like it's on rails, no complaints!
AlexT
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: Someone Help: MR2 Bathurst Wed, 08 December 2004 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Correcting the inaccuracies in this post. The Australian delivered Bathurst and GT were both available 1994 to 1999. The Red Book and Glass's Guide both agree with me on this. I'm sure the Bathurst went past 1996 because I have a 1997 one in my garage. I know the GT began in 1994 as before buying my car I looked at a GT built in March 1994. The late 1993 model change happened in some other markets (e.g. US) but in Australia it was 1994.

I agree with the comment that there is nothing wrong with the suspension of the early MR2. Assessing a suspension is highly subjective and depends on the application as well as personal preference. For that reason, I think the slight on the revised suspension is unjustified.
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Someone Help: MR2 Bathurst Thu, 25 August 2005 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AlexT wrote on Wed, 08 December 2004 18:57

Correcting the inaccuracies in this post. The Australian delivered Bathurst and GT were both available 1994 to 1999. The Red Book and Glass's Guide both agree with me on this. I'm sure the Bathurst went past 1996 because I have a 1997 one in my garage. I know the GT began in 1994 as before buying my car I looked at a GT built in March 1994. The late 1993 model change happened in some other markets (e.g. US) but in Australia it was 1994.

I agree with the comment that there is nothing wrong with the suspension of the early MR2. Assessing a suspension is highly subjective and depends on the application as well as personal preference. For that reason, I think the slight on the revised suspension is unjustified.

digging up an old thread..

I agree here. i just got mine and the thing is IMMACULATE! Even though the build date is late '96, its classed as a 97 model and was released in showrooms in 97.

where im at now is learning how to drive this thing.. its really different as up till now ive become so used to driving FR Cars and handling the difference in weight distribution feels strange. sometimes i feel like im cornering like faster than i ever have, and then when i snap it back the other way (i.e. around a roundabout) it understeers.. i know this isn't the car.. so i have sort of realised ive got to teach myself to drive all over again and learn proper cornering and acceleration techniques with this beast.. what suggestions do you think?

ive driven a AW11 before on a few test drives, and its not really like this at all.. it felt slightly lighter and easier to get around turns.. i want to adapt to the SW20 pretty quickly as its winter and i hear theyre pretty treacherous in the rain for the unoriented..

day in the skid pan good advice?
MY Racing 221
Regular

August 2005
Re: Someone Help: MR2 Bathurst Fri, 26 August 2005 00:07 Go to previous message
scrote wrote on Mon, 06 December 2004 17:56

hmmm well my car had bathurst model on the build plate and rego pappers and was deff a 91 model.........

i would have to beg to differ.

Sorry, but I'm afraid that must be some kind of mistake or anomoly as there was NO Bathurst model before 94 as most people have already said.

The "Bathurst" naming was introduced as a result of the SW20's successes in the Bathurst 12 hour race, where it finished as high as 4th and 5th outright one year.

With regards to the suspension, each update of the SW20 brought more and more initial understeer on turn in to help the "average joe" motorist who found their limitations quite easily. Those updates took place in 92 and 94 (to Bathurst/GT).

Cheers
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Does anyone Have any Old Toyota Videos!!!
Next Topic:My New Plates
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 20:05:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061440467834473 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.