Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
benen
Regular

August 2003
surge tank in ra28 Sun, 21 August 2005 11:49 Go to next message
hey,

I'm trying to figure out how im going to set up the surge tank in my ra28. Definitely going the surge tank option as i already purchased one a while ago and am not keen on pulling out my fuel tank and modifying it.

I read that one person suggested putting it where the jack goes in the boot but i want to keep my jack. I'm pondering the idea of pulling out my boot floor and constructing a new one as i am hoping to flush mount the battery with the floor.

Can anyone give me any feed back on this option? or suggest a better one?

Cheers
Benen
  Send a private message to this user    
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: surge tank in ra28 Sun, 21 August 2005 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's not easy.. I have mine in the boot on the driver side. Always smells.. Would prefer it out of the cabin but not easy in the RA28.. Not much room under the floor.
Gleno28
Regular

August 2004
Re: surge tank in ra28 Mon, 22 August 2005 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Same with me, fuel pump drivers side, sealed battery sitting where the jack was in batt box and strapped down. I moved the jack etc to behind the spare wheel,fits ok
Glen.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: surge tank in ra28 Mon, 22 August 2005 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is a pic of mine - http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/2492/surgetank0xw.jpg
benen
Regular

August 2003
Re: surge tank in ra28 Mon, 22 August 2005 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone else?
Id really like to have it completely hidden.

Cheers for the idea of putting the battery where the jack is and the jack in with the tyre. I'll look into that

Cheers
Benen
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: surge tank in ra28 Tue, 23 August 2005 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heaps of room around the spare wheel.

ill be looking at mounting mine under the car.... maybe something similar to sam's 20v conversion.

Cheers

Nathan
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: surge tank in ra28 Tue, 23 August 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont think you can do it with the standard boot floor Benen, unless you put it partly through the floor outside the floorpan.

BTW, engineers will require you to have the whole surge tank, pumps, filters, etc in a sealed box thats then vented outside the car.
Itll help reduce petrol smells too...

Next time you see Greg's TA22, look in the boot to see what he has done.

Go see an engineer...
This is one of the little things he would tell you to do.
Its worth doing now otherwise youll have lots of things to fix up later after you see him.
No point in doing things twice.

[Updated on: Tue, 23 August 2005 02:44]

benen
Regular

August 2003
Re: surge tank in ra28 Tue, 23 August 2005 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers for that mark Smile
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: surge tank in ra28 Wed, 24 August 2005 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another option: I used a small (approx 700ml) surge tank, which was located on the back of the LH strut tower in the engine bay.

Primer/lift pump was installed under the car next to the rear "Chassis rail", actually just took a section of original fuel line out, and replaced it with the pump.

HP pump was located just below the surge tank.

Plumbing for all the HP lines was kept in the engine bay!! Cool

The install was for a 1G-GTE, definately no probs with fuel starvation.

Absolutely no fuel smell, and it kept the engineer extremely happy. Very Happy

cheers Chuck.

normo
Regular

November 2004
Re: surge tank in ra28 Wed, 24 August 2005 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check out a fuel tank from an injected toyota, an ST... I think.
I bought an 18rgeu all set up in a RA40 for my RA28 and the old owner fitted an St... tank. Can anyone confirm?
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: surge tank in ra28 Wed, 24 August 2005 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeahbut try getting a st anything let alone a fuel tank.

i like the strut tower idea!

so you had low psi gear at the arse and the hi psi efi style pump before the surge tank in the bay?

Cheers

Nathan
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: surge tank in ra28 Wed, 24 August 2005 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah Nathan, the only high pressure lines were between the hp pump at the tower, and the fuel rail, and the rail return to the surge tank. The rest was low pressure including the surge overflow back to the main tank. There was no need to go large diameter lines from the tank, as the surge tank then became the main supply source for the HP pump and injectors.

Philosophy: keep it simple.

The surge tank I purchased actually had a mounting bracket on the side, rather than a base mount.

cheers Chuck.
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: surge tank in ra28 Wed, 24 August 2005 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats sounds pretty sweet in comparison to dikn around with intank setups etc.

where did you get your tank from too if i may ask?

Cheers

Nathan
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: surge tank in ra28 Wed, 24 August 2005 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That was actually similar to my old setup. Except the twit who made the tank had it laying on its side, instead of upright. So didn't do a good job of stopping surge.

So when it came time for a new surge tank decided to move it to the boot, make it bigger etc.

But yeah i think i'll go back to a engine bay surge tank. Like you say, keep it simple.
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: surge tank in ra28 Thu, 25 August 2005 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nathan, the surge tank came from a batch, that was made for a local rotary workshop. The guy making them operates from his garage in Canberra. Whiting Engineering in Wanniassa ACT, check directory assistance for the phone No. $70.00 from memory, but that was 5 cars, and 4 years ago.

cheers Chuck.
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: surge tank in ra28 Thu, 25 August 2005 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no drama, so it was custom.

should a surge tank have any baffling?

or is it just the bigger the better?

Cheers

Nathan
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: surge tank in ra28 Thu, 25 August 2005 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
having the surge tank would make the fuel pretty hot wouldnt it??

having it above the tank, beside the wheel well, under the car would allow the fuel to a cool a bit before it goes back to the motor.

HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: surge tank in ra28 Thu, 25 August 2005 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Offtopic!!

benen, saw your car today... very nice!
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: surge tank in ra28 Thu, 25 August 2005 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had a custom tank made up for mine, 1.7L... 250mm tall, 100 round, sits behind the left rear wheel, bolts to the floor where the jack is, you can see about 100mm of it from the back, which i kinda like cause it's neat. all the hose lines are at the front. there's still room for the exhaust and pumps, but i'll need to make a heat shield for the exhaust, i got it custom made by a local metal fab dude, $135 don't have any photos of it installed, but i got a 3D model of it if anyone is interested.

as for baffles, there's no point, so long as there's a decent supply of fuel above the pick up, you'll be right, the idea is to have it fairly narrow, so there won't be any 'swirling'
benen
Regular

August 2003
Re: surge tank in ra28 Fri, 26 August 2005 15:20 Go to previous message
cheers for all ur replies guys, its given me some food for thought Smile

Hydra, cheers mate Smile where did u c me?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:LS90/JZX90 Chaser Wiring Diagram?
Next Topic:T40 to T50 swap
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 11:53:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0041959285736084 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.