Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 85 Corona Avante Taco Booster needed

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Japstang
Regular

September 2004
85 Corona Avante Taco Booster needed Wed, 17 August 2005 13:32 Go to next message
Hi,

Could someone please help me.

I had my instrument cluster recalibrated so the taco would read accurate for a 1G GTE.

Now I am told I need a booster for my taco so the signal can be strengthened. ATM my taco does not work.

I was told someone here by the name of 6 Worx has solved this problem and sells the boosters or knows where I can get one.

Anyone that can point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 85 Corona Avante Taco Booster needed Wed, 17 August 2005 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Send a PM to Grant, he runs SixWorks and can hook you up with a tacho booster.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 85 Corona Avante Taco Booster needed Thu, 18 August 2005 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Now I am told I need a booster for my taco so the signal can be strengthened. ATM my taco does not work.

Have you tried the new Flat Bottomed Tacos.
I hear they work a treat:
http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/img/advertorial/oldelpaso_taco.jpg
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 85 Corona Avante Taco Booster needed Thu, 18 August 2005 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 06:57

Send a PM to Grant, he runs SixWorks and can hook you up with a tacho booster.

If he has any in stock yet. People have been trying to get them for ages.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 85 Corona Avante Taco Booster needed Thu, 18 August 2005 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mmmm tacos!!

Just do what I do... use the engine sound to work out when you're near redline!
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 85 Corona Avante Taco Booster needed Thu, 18 August 2005 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm. The web site disappears and now there's a problem with supply. These aren't good signs.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 85 Corona Avante Taco Booster needed Thu, 18 August 2005 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 10:41

Hmmm. The web site disappears and now there's a problem with supply. These aren't good signs.

Website went down coz Grant wasn't happy with ISP.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 85 Corona Avante Taco Booster needed Thu, 18 August 2005 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was having a look at a VDO catalogue. they sell them for around $150

i will probly need one for my 1g --> RA40 conversion

brett
Japstang
Regular

September 2004
Re: 85 Corona Avante Taco Booster needed Fri, 19 August 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the replies, even the ones that were not funny...

Does the VDO price compare to grants though, what price does he sell them for?

If Grant cannot get them for a while then is VDO the only other outlet that might have them, would J Car sell them?

Thanks

Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 85 Corona Avante Taco Booster needed Fri, 19 August 2005 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If this is the circuit which boosts a signal from a 5V square wave to something that resembles the signal from a coil then you can make one yourself if you have some soldering skill.

I think I got a circuit diagram from the Haltech website (called a coil emulator if I remember right) but have a copy at home and will post it when I have a moment. Tacho is a little more sluggish than normal, but not so much that I have been bothered investigating improving it.

Hen

EDIT - just got home and found that circuit. ImageShack is great

EDIT AGAIN - Thanks to Bugman for pointing out that the link didn't work.

[Updated on: Sat, 27 August 2005 08:26]

Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 85 Corona Avante Taco Booster needed Sat, 27 August 2005 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so is putting the correct url in

COIL THINGY
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 85 Corona Avante Taco Booster needed Sat, 27 August 2005 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats great Smile

what does that bit mean with the "coil - from a gutted relay will do"

is that to reduce the power or something
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 85 Corona Avante Taco Booster needed Sun, 28 August 2005 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its just any coil from a relay. to just drop in a straight inductor in it would cause problems, as relay coils are designed for 12V's across the pins, so to actually rebuild the circuit would require a resistor inductor combination but its just easier to use a coil. just rip the switching part off as otherwise you have a nice click,click,click when the car is running lol.

No as an explanation for anyone, this circuit will actually reverse the polarity of the output, eg 5V in will make 0 out and 0 in will make 12V out. i was designing one that kept it the same but really it doesn't matter. the "relay coil" is to produce a rounded signal as most some tacho's don't like flat square waves. the 2.9K resistor is not overly important in value so if you have one close it would be just as good but it should be close as the E12 series will only have a 2.7K or 3.3K available.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 85 Corona Avante Taco Booster needed Sun, 28 August 2005 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well what can i say, it works quite well, I NOW HAVE A TACHO YAY. I actually built mine on the bottom of the relay pins, so its a nice neat package too.

Thanks for this.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 85 Corona Avante Taco Booster needed Sun, 28 August 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I tried this also, worked perfectly well.

I used different parts to what they did, didn't use a resistor either. The diode seems to be more than enough resistance for the transistor i'm using (which is a PNP transistor, not a NPN!).

The diagram is a little wrong methinks, but it is the right idea. I was thinking of using a design like this 6 months ago but I didn't try it Razz Oh well... it's nice to be able to see all the revs!
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 85 Corona Avante Taco Booster needed Sun, 28 August 2005 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hydra - draw up a diagram of your's

has anybody checked how accurate it makes the taco??
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 85 Corona Avante Taco Booster needed Sun, 28 August 2005 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
At idle mine was right on the mark, checked using a multimeter tacho function.

All this talk of TACOS is making me very hungry!!

I will draw up a diagram soon... it's basically the one posted before, without the resistor, with a PNP transistor. The best part is I used parts that were just sitting around Smile
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 85 Corona Avante Taco Booster needed Sun, 28 August 2005 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yeh, it's funny seeing the poor relay trying to click at 6000rpm Smile Make sure you gut the thing before you go off using it daily. It's so easy to do!
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 85 Corona Avante Taco Booster needed Sun, 28 August 2005 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
...and they sell for $100+ No No No
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 85 Corona Avante Taco Booster needed Sun, 28 August 2005 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats assuming the same design though. There is more than one way to skin a cat!
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 85 Corona Avante Taco Booster needed Sun, 28 August 2005 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the resistor is needed to produce a low current voltage drop as the transistor will sit at about .7 at the base and the diode will want to be at about 5 - .7 (diode drop) = 4.3V. A PNP will have to switch the positive side though i feel, it may work on the ground side but it will switch when the input is the opposite to that of the NPN (a low will switch instead of a high).
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 85 Corona Avante Taco Booster needed Sun, 28 August 2005 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Sun, 28 August 2005 18:10

Thats assuming the same design though. There is more than one way to skin a cat!

they just have a bling bling case and 200% mark up Razz
Japstang
Regular

September 2004
Re: 85 Corona Avante Taco Booster needed Sun, 28 August 2005 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bit the bullet and just bought one from Grant.

I have no equipment and only a little experience with electronics, everything else i have done to the car has been pretty inexpensive so this will not dint the budget.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 85 Corona Avante Taco Booster needed Sun, 28 August 2005 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well that is also assuming that this other circuit is acceptable, like is a tacho line true square wave? like is high for as long as it is low, if not then this circuit cause cause problems. But other then that i could have built you one and mailed it. mine cost 50c but i stole an old relay.
Japstang
Regular

September 2004
Re: 85 Corona Avante Taco Booster needed Sun, 28 August 2005 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well hopefully it works all fine for me, should do.

I have not heard any bad news about the product.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 85 Corona Avante Taco Booster needed Sun, 28 August 2005 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just a note, in the Jaycar HEI there is a little circuit thingy, using a small transformer (like tiny) that sounds like it does the same thing as the Haltech thingy
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: 85 Corona Avante Taco Booster needed Sun, 28 August 2005 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks like the cat is out of the bag and somebodys profit margins have taken a nosedive.
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 85 Corona Avante Taco Booster needed Sun, 28 August 2005 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the whole point of this circuit is to produce a big voltage spike every revolution. The 5V square wave controls the transistor and so controls the current flow through the coil. The coil is there so when the current flow is stopped a voltage spike is produced, this is what the old dash tacho requires.

Also running no resistor is bad. The diode should have a 0.7V drop over it, the transistor base-emmitter should have 1.4V (maybe 0.7, can't remember) drop over it, and so what happens to the other 9.9V? You get big currents and hot wires and maybe a cooked transistor.

It's interesting to hear an PNP also works.

Hen
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 85 Corona Avante Taco Booster needed Wed, 31 August 2005 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seeing as we got the elec engineers in this thread, can somebody design a circuit to make a 6cyl tacho signal work on a 4 cylinder tacho??

it would have to multiply the amplitude (??) by 2/3 i would assume

thanks

brett
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 85 Corona Avante Taco Booster needed Wed, 31 August 2005 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i could probably do that. since the input will be 5V square i could run a series of TTL (computer logic stuff) circuitry to generated that output. there would be two ways though, one would be to simple delete every third pulse which may result in a slightly in accurate tacho, and may oscillate slightly around the actual value.

The other way is to reconstruct the signal which would be more work, the easiest thing would be to buy the jaycar speed corrector as it should work, if it can accept 5V. the run the output into the other circuit shown before.
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 85 Corona Avante Taco Booster needed Wed, 31 August 2005 12:54 Go to previous message
Yeah, I'd vote for just deleting 1/3 of the pulses. Might need some reasonably smart electronics, not just a few resistors and capacitors. And this wouldn't have any affect on the accuracy or response speed of the tach.

I don't think it would depend on the amplitude of the signal, though I'd happily be corrected on that, I'm not really sure how a tacho functions.

However if Jaycar already does a black box for 6 cyl motor -> 4 cyl dash then go with that.

Hen
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Instrument clusters
Next Topic:Supercharger stuffs
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 06:05:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061080455780029 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.