Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
pomey
Regular

May 2005
Oil filter on 18RG Sun, 28 August 2005 06:28 Go to next message
Hello modders,

I've almost finished my 18RG rebuild and have primed the oil pump/filter etc with a 'Cooper Z37' oil filter installed. Next i came to install the intake manifold and found the oil filter was in the friggin way (too tall), oh well only a minor problem.

I went back to where i bought it(outbound on brighton rd for those in Adelaide) and told them the problem. 'Oh shit' they said! They had a hunt around and all they could produce was a 'Ryco Z158' oil filter.

Now the thread and diameter sizes look identical but it's about 2/3s the size of the Z37 and designed to be installed on later model corolla, camry, corona and celica. They assured it would work fine.

Just wanderin if anyone else has had this problem or if anyone can see why this wont work for me. I don't wanna destroy the whole engine now due to an oil filter.

Cheers, Pomey!
  Send a private message to this user    
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Oil filter on 18RG Sun, 28 August 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
had that happen on my old engine (wasnt yours) but i had no problems. most engines run on small oil filters these days so i dont see why not

[Updated on: Sun, 28 August 2005 06:30]

Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Oil filter on 18RG Sun, 28 August 2005 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
use a Z145A

thats what i have used all along, much easier to replace too
pomey
Regular

May 2005
Re: Oil filter on 18RG Sun, 28 August 2005 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool! cheers guys that's a load off my mind, i can get back to the rebuild now.

Cheers, Pomey!
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Oil filter on 18RG Sun, 28 August 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to repco and get a "Fram" brand equivalent for the filter.
I had one a while back for my 18R and it was about 1/2 the length of the standard size Ryco.

Apparently the Fram filters are much better quality too.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Oil filter on 18RG Sun, 28 August 2005 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Z158 is fine. thats what ive used

they would be one of the better choices seeing as they have the anti back drain valve Wink
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Oil filter on 18RG Sun, 28 August 2005 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I reckon we used a Ryco Z68, but I can't remember for sure.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Oil filter on 18RG Sun, 28 August 2005 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Go to Toyota and get the proper 18RG oil filter. These filters are much better than non-Toyota brands. Sure they cost a few bucks extra, but they're the proper thing and, naturally, they fit.

If you've spent megabucks on getting your 18RG reconditioned (or modded) then don't be a tight-arse and get it a proper Toyota filter.

seeyuzz
river
Scootaphill
Regular

November 2004
Re: Oil filter on 18RG Mon, 29 August 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if its any help I'm using a RYCO Z418 on my 18rg-eu

river, i don't wish to dis what you have stated but when i suggested that same theory to my mechanic he laughed at me.

Change your oil and filter regularly no problem.

cheers

scoota
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Oil filter on 18RG Mon, 29 August 2005 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
same, u will probably find that the filters are made by the same mob, i'd rather have a Fram anyday of the week

cept u cant get them easily
pomey
Regular

May 2005
Re: Oil filter on 18RG Wed, 31 August 2005 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers again for ur help guys,

I guess i can't go wrong with so many suggestions. If i can't seem to find a particular one, at least i've got some more options.

Also, i have a few concerns about the fuel lines on the 18RG. If fellow modders wish to advise, i have a new thread called '18RG fuel line concerns' as to attract maximum attention and hopefully replies.

Cheers, Pomey!
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Oil filter on 18RG Wed, 31 August 2005 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
same issue.

just got toyota genuine. $35 but easy as when ur 5mins from the local toyota.

any 1 know if i can saw off the long pipe on the filter mount?

coz atm i gotta unbolt the mount or remove a carby to get the filter off.

Cheers

Nathan
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Oil filter on 18RG Thu, 01 September 2005 00:58 Go to previous message
I actually took the pressed in pipe out to run one of the newer toyota filters. the more compact ones like in the 3sge etc. cant remember the code off the top of my head.

I have been told from several sources that it is superior to the origional design in flow and design even though it isnt the same volume.

Daniel.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:diff for my ae71
Next Topic:JZZ30 speedo problems
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 12:32:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.009019136428833 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.