Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Richrider
Occasional Poster

July 2005
1uz in Ford Model "A" Sun, 28 August 2005 02:53 Go to next message
Hi Guys.
After a lot of thinking about what I should do for my next project and have given up on doing the engine change in my Hilux for the time being.
I have decided to go and do something I have wanted to do since I was 15 yo, I am now 35!,20 years I have been wanting to do this Confused I feel old Crying or Very Sad . To Build a model "A" Ford 2 door Tourer hotrod with 18" rims, no guards!.
I wanted to build this with a Chev 350 but now want to do this with 1uz Surprised Surprised
I want to use a 1/2 cut and use the engine, auto, radiator core with custom tanks, steering column, and as much of the original 1/2 cut to keep the wiring simple.
Any idea of what 1uz 1/2 cut is best to use? crown?, soarer? ect
Anyone here have a 1uz in a Model "A"? would love to see how you went with firewall clearance to motor/steering column.
I am already collecting parts, HJ master cylinder,gemini brake booster, ect.
Rich
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 1uz in Ford Model "A" Sun, 28 August 2005 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that sounds like an awesome project!!!
1UZ with the right exhaust will still sound like the other V8's.. just it will go better and use less fuel Razz

the cut you choose will depend on if you need a front/mid/rear sump position, but i don't know about the different ones (you could search for 1UZ sump position)

good luck Very Happy
Cya, Stewart
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1uz in Ford Model "A" Sun, 28 August 2005 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As said recently here:
http://lextreme.com/forums

UZS131 Crown is midsump
UZS141 and UZS151 Crowns are front sump
Celsior/LS400: Front Sump
GS400: Front Sump
GS430: Front Sump
SC430: Front Sump
LS430: Front Sump
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1uz in Ford Model "A" Sun, 28 August 2005 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soarer UZZ31 - rear sump
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1uz in Ford Model "A" Sun, 28 August 2005 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, do it. You'll probably want to tidy up the stardard wiring/hoses/etc up more, polish a few parts, and make sure you stick some impressive looking pipes on it!
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1uz in Ford Model "A" Sun, 28 August 2005 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well they dont go much better and mine still uses a fair bit of fuel

350 kms for 60 bucks of premium city driving

anyway u might have probs with using the radiator

depends how wide the front fo the ford is

crowns are harder to wire but easier to fit mechanically

the otehrs are easier to wire b ut harder mechanically
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1uz in Ford Model "A" Sun, 28 August 2005 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

crowns are harder to wire but easier to fit mechanically
the otehrs are easier to wire b ut harder mechanically

Why are the crowns harder mechanically?

And i thought the VVTI version would be the hardest of the lot to wire up?
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1uz in Ford Model "A" Sun, 28 August 2005 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
crowns are easier mechanically i said

as they dont have the gbox tail shaft bung

they have small exhaust headers

they are harder electrically due to the 2 ecus

the others have 1 ecu so its easier
but they have hydraulic thermo fans a bung on the gbox for tailshaft and they have wide headers

so in a tight spot u also have to look at this type of stuff

unl;ess u want to pay 1100 bucks just for custom made extractors

i have done about 20 of them so i know all the tricks
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: 1uz in Ford Model "A" Mon, 29 August 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rod Millen built a 32 Ford with a 1UZ in it. There's info on it at http://www.rodmillen.com/Lexus.htm. I really don't understand why he has enclosed the engine bay though. The pictures I've seen show the entire engine and accessories polished and looking awesome.

There's also a member os this forum working on a 32 Ford with a 1GZ-FE up front Cool
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: 1uz in Ford Model "A" Mon, 29 August 2005 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think a lot of fibreglass "replica" rods actually use a toyota chassis (dont know which though), so this might be easier than you think.
Richrider
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: 1uz in Ford Model "A" Tue, 30 August 2005 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If I use "All" of the factory wiring including the stearing column, both computers, all gearbox sensers and transfer the lot into the model "A" hotrod it should be easy to wire as I dont have to wire the computer into the model "A" wiring as it has none to begine with Razz
All I have to do is cut into wires for fuelpump, dash gauges, and thats about it as the ignition is on the stearing column Smile
Also Sideshow, any idea on what would be the best looking dash cluster on the 1uz 1/2 cuts to use in the centre dashboard??? or if not a good idea can aftermarket gauges be made to work for speedo,temp,oil tacko of the 1uz dash wiring?
Rich
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1uz in Ford Model "A" Tue, 30 August 2005 08:32 Go to previous message
just depends on money with gauges and what fits

i never like using the whole 1uz or in that case any complete wiring from a front cut to fit another older car

the engine loom for the 1uz is about 1/5th of the whole wiring so u will have so much extra crap wiring in the loom

there is about 10 ecus throughout the crowns so it will take ages sorting it out

plus another thing incase u didnt know the gbox has speed sensors that run thru the speedometer and also thru the abs ecu

u can bypass these but it then gets expensive

u can easily wire up an a model wioth a roll of trailer wiring

but if u do it yr way will be ok just messy but once u pul the loom out u will see what im on about

the only prob u might run into is if anyhting goes wrong down the track it will be a nightmare to find the prob

if u use electronic speedos u need aftermarket ones like vdo or automete that can be calibrated or use the crown one if u use another model u might need a speedo calibrater

anyway 1uzs are never cheap conversions as u know by buildin a hot rod

i know a workshop that used to do them but these days no one wants to pay 8000 fopr a drive in drive out conversion which unfortunately is what it costs these days
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3sgte lsd gearbox
Next Topic:PLZ Help:4AGE squirting oil all over bonnet???WTF??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 20:03:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051407814025879 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.