Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Who hates seeing a 10k car go for 6?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
petespipes
Regular

July 2005
Who hates seeing a 10k car go for 6? Sat, 27 August 2005 09:02 Go to next message
OK.here it is.We all have a stake in promoting the value of modified cars [ours] as it costs shitloads to do it right and we then want to do it again-but better!
In order to do so we can mortage the house AGAIN or sell the existing modified car or drivetrain in order to get back to the real fun [building]`
So we need to establish a value for these artworks.My humble notion that I hope you guys can run with and improve is to take the common mechanical line ups that are most popular.
1.ae86 with..........
2.ma70 with.........
3.corolla with.......
4. this with........
5.that with........
A value register or list could allow for given power levels [dyno] and perhaps quality of components\reputation of builder, setting a value to these line ups,say-fan to gearbox.Could be a few gearbox options also.
I can imagine interested parties might choose their specialty and run with it as far as keeping tabs on labour and parts costs.I am really not the type of person who could organise this type of thing,perhaps you guys?I know I could do it for my favourite model\project as could we all.
Something that we have in our favour as a community is the value of being known.ie.check a fellow toymodder out,look at their profile.read ALL their posts if you like.You will quickly get a good idea of their helpfulness and basic attitude etc.this is a good evoironment to trade in I think and I am continually getting excellent help and advice from the users of this site.
For anyone that doesnt understand what I am on about-How do I value a 302rwhp standard 1J with this or that but without the other etc.I reckon we can do it and it would make an active forum as we all have a stake in it!Just got NFI how to do it! I just dont like hearing people say "its not worth what hes asking" simply because they do not have a clue what it costs to put a running,tuned package together.Can we list what it costs to de these setups?
Cheers.Pete.

[Updated on: Sun, 28 August 2005 10:23]

Send a private message to this user    
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Who hates seeing a 10k car go for 6? Sun, 28 August 2005 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I understand where you are coming from.

My single turbo 1jz owes me about $7000-$8000 off the top of my head. (Made 182rwkw Razz) That is just for engine related stuff though. The turbo kit wasn't knew either. If it was knew it would have cost more than $7000 just for the turbo I would think.

Is that what you are after?
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Who hates seeing a 10k car go for 6? Sun, 28 August 2005 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive read it a few times haha cant get my head around what your trying to say last night isnt helping but water it down for me haha
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Who hates seeing a 10k car go for 6? Sun, 28 August 2005 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You're very confusing petespipes.

If you're trying to say you want to see modified cars go for more, then that's just not gonna happen.

Low demand = higher risk = lower monitory value.

Once you start to modify a car, the chances to abuse it increase. As does the general wear and tear on components. Also there's a much higher chance that the car is going to have been thrashed (Even if it has been taken care of otherwise).

Also, as you said, half the fun is building the car, so why bother getting something that's pre-built? If someone can't be bothered fixing a car up, they'll get something stock so the mechanic will have a clue whats going on (if that's possible Wink ).
#Fiend#
Regular

July 2005
Re: Who hates seeing a 10k car go for 6? Sun, 28 August 2005 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You will always get less for a modded car than it is worth but this is because you have personalised it, in effect making your ideal car. Chances are the person buying it wants to rip half the shit off and personalise it to their tastes.

Think about it, why would you buy a 10 grand modded car if you could build one yourself (or pay someone to build one) for the same price and have it done the way you want it, Also there is the factor of your mods becoming out of date, for example: 3-5 years ago people were putting 5 litre v8's in old celicas, now people are still modding old celicas but now a 3sgte or 4ag(z)e conversion is more popular.

This always has been and always will be the way with modified cars
petespipes
Regular

July 2005
Re: Who hates seeing a 10k car go for 6? Sun, 28 August 2005 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ponits taken and valid.thanks,yeah I got carried away.BUT,thanks Chris.What about forget the car for a moment and just focus on the driveline\mechanical package.here you have a constant,something that you cant avoid.
X motor costs.....
X gearbox costs...
add tuning [approx]
ECU
Loom [or front cut]
add tuning
extra for more power [more tuning,injectors etc]
See it adds up and it will cost anyone the same [within reason]
therefore the packege has a set value [sort of]
cheers.Pete. Smile

[Updated on: Sun, 28 August 2005 08:18]

#Fiend#
Regular

July 2005
Re: Who hates seeing a 10k car go for 6? Sun, 28 August 2005 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sometimes you can get more for a modded car by dismantling it and selling the parts, the best way I reckon is to keep all the standard parts you take off and return the car to as close to standard as possible before you sell it. then sell the aftermarket parts seperately or use them for another project.
mc68
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2005
Re: Who hates seeing a 10k car go for 6? Sun, 28 August 2005 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cars in 99% of cases will depreciate in value, no matter how much you have spent on them...

Crying or Very Sad gotta live with it.
petespipes
Regular

July 2005
Re: Who hates seeing a 10k car go for 6? Sun, 28 August 2005 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mc68 and fiend.thanks ,I agree with both of you .i agree cars lose value quickly,the newer the quicker.But we are not buying late model cars so this doesnt worry us much.Fiend thats something I didnt think of and i am sure it could save a lot of money in the right circumstances.Returning car to stock and selling parts individually.
Just trying to make one point though-If it takes say $5000 to put a package together and everyone knows it [they will know because the info will be there,nice and clear and indisputable] then it is more likely that people will buy and sell at that price.
i think its the "I can do it cheaper than that" idea that often undermines the sell price of this stuff.
As an example-I wanted a w58 manual for a 1j.I was informed that if I was lucky I might get a complete pkg for $1000.I said to myself"I can do it cheaper" REALITY BITES.It cannot be done cheaper.Most often one of these will cost 1250.try doing parts,try 400 for a flywheel.400 for a box.300 for a bell.it still hasnt got twin synchros like the 2J w58 for 1250.
Sure,there will be some that stumbled across a cheap one somehow but I am talking normal prices.
So,back to the point.these driveline pkgs have a value.Is it possible to have a "value register" based on continually updated info?Doesnt seem to be an easy one does it?
Cheers.Pete. Smile

[Updated on: Sun, 28 August 2005 10:07]

berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Who hates seeing a 10k car go for 6? Sun, 28 August 2005 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes i see your point with a package... but it still doesnt work i wish it did if anything it should be more as its all there you know it is and its all going to work no hassels now waiting... but everyone is in it for a bargain
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Who hates seeing a 10k car go for 6? Sun, 28 August 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
everyone accepts that modified cars have no value. so even if the buyer knows the value of a modified car, the buyer would not buy it for the full modified price.

i just picked up a car with all goodies in it. the way i look at it, i practically paid jack sheet for the CAR itself.

thats the way it is dude. sucks
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Who hates seeing a 10k car go for 6? Sun, 28 August 2005 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you had to pay extra for a modified car, nobody would get one. They'd get a low KM stock car, and mod it exactly how they want.

The best way to sell a modified car is by dropping the price, or returning it to stock, then selling the extra bits to someone who wants them. Or you could just wait for someone who wanted EXACTLY what you where selling. But chances are, there will be someone out there with something similar to what you have, only at a good 20% off ('cuz they don't wanna wait).

[Updated on: Sun, 28 August 2005 11:07]

Enchanter
Regular

July 2005
Re: Who hates seeing a 10k car go for 6? Sun, 28 August 2005 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can see what petespipes is talking about and I agree with everyone saying modified cars wont sell for much more, however I do see another benefit to this idea.

It really would be good to see a break down of costs so people can see what it is going to cost them to do some of these mods.

Iam about to embark on an MA61 to jza61 project. I know it will cost far too much and that I will never recover the costs if I sell it. Iam also going to keep all the original parts just in case.

From what I have seen modified cars will go for unmodified cost plus about 1/3 of the modified parts cost.

A reasonable ma61 would go for about $3000 to $5000.
A 1jz swap would cost ??? $15000 ??? ish

I imagine a 1jz a61 would SELL for about $8000 to $10000

Anyone agree or dissagree ??

How much HAVE cars like this sold for ?
How much do these conversions REALLY cost ?

We probably can work out something on this as a guide.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Who hates seeing a 10k car go for 6? Sun, 28 August 2005 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the exception to the case is where a car has a reputation.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Who hates seeing a 10k car go for 6? Mon, 29 August 2005 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
petespipes wrote on Sun, 28 August 2005 19:40

As an example-I wanted a w58 manual for a 1j.I was informed that if I was lucky I might get a complete pkg for $1000.I said to myself"I can do it cheaper" REALITY BITES.It cannot be done cheaper.Most often one of these will cost 1250.try doing parts,try 400 for a flywheel.400 for a box.300 for a bell.it still hasnt got twin synchros like the 2J w58 for 1250.
Sure,there will be some that stumbled across a cheap one somehow but I am talking normal prices.

I really would like to know where this info comes from (I used to think this as well). I've had both boxes apart next to each other (with Norbie) and we couldn't find these 'double syncros'.

Smile

I should start a thread about this!

Cheers
Wilbo
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Who hates seeing a 10k car go for 6? Mon, 29 August 2005 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it sounds like your trying to create your own market rules for a depreciating asset that has its own free market rules and values.

it wont work.

you'll be able to do the theory but no one will abide by it because parallel to your artifical market there is the existing free market where usually bargains are had.

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Who hates seeing a 10k car go for 6? Mon, 29 August 2005 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Mon, 29 August 2005 11:13

it sounds like your trying to create your own market rules for a depreciating asset that has its own free market rules and values.

it wont work.

you'll be able to do the theory but no one will abide by it because parallel to your artifical market there is the existing free market where usually bargains are had.

and people also get ripped off.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Who hates seeing a 10k car go for 6? Mon, 29 August 2005 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Mon, 29 August 2005 11:31

Caveat emptor my friend
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Who hates seeing a 10k car go for 6? Mon, 29 August 2005 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Mon, 29 August 2005 11:58

Chris Davey wrote on Mon, 29 August 2005 11:31

Caveat emptor my friend

I have no idea what you just said. Confused

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Who hates seeing a 10k car go for 6? Mon, 29 August 2005 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Caveat Emptor: Latin for let the buyer beware

good old business studies and economics.

[Updated on: Mon, 29 August 2005 02:22]

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Who hates seeing a 10k car go for 6? Mon, 29 August 2005 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have done some economics and business studies as well but we generally learnt english Smile

Thanks
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Who hates seeing a 10k car go for 6? Mon, 29 August 2005 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you know ceteris paribis 'all other things being equal', Laissez Faire 'let things be' etc Very Happy
There nothing compared to Intro to business law.

[Updated on: Mon, 29 August 2005 02:44]

b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Who hates seeing a 10k car go for 6? Mon, 29 August 2005 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i remember ceteris paribus!! can never get enough of those
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Who hates seeing a 10k car go for 6? Mon, 29 August 2005 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I remember that term now. Pretty much got rid of that stuff out of my head as it was a long time ago!
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Who hates seeing a 10k car go for 6? Mon, 29 August 2005 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just keep all your original parts and receipts for the aftermarket parts.
Then you can show the value of the aftermarket parts to potential buyers and if they still don't want to pay for the aftermarket parts you can return the car to factory spec.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Who hates seeing a 10k car go for 6? Mon, 29 August 2005 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
While were at it I propose a communist regime.

I think eveyone should get the same car, this would solve your problem pete. Very Happy Wink
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Who hates seeing a 10k car go for 6? Mon, 29 August 2005 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh by the way, I think it would take me at least a year to make my car back to standard if that is even possible! Not an option in my case.
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: Who hates seeing a 10k car go for 6? Tue, 30 August 2005 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll bet it is very frustrating seeing your pride an joy go for far less than it is worth. But considering you can buy a much newer or faster car for similar money, it makes it hard to compete.
Eg I am trying to sell my Mazda MX6 at the moment for around $8900, and even through it is stock (except for rims, tints, and stereo), nobody seems to be interested, as for not much more you can buy a brand new Echo, or Daewoo etc etc instead of a 10 year old car. Plus all these cheap high performance imports such as S4 RX7's etc going for similar money make it even harder to sell.

Just make sure you pick the right car to begin with, modify it to your taste, and run it into the ground, as you'll never get your money back Sad
1JZ.747
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Who hates seeing a 10k car go for 6? Tue, 30 August 2005 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ribfeast wrote on Tue, 30 August 2005 11:23

I'll bet it is very frustrating seeing your pride an joy go for far less than it is worth. But considering you can buy a much newer or faster car for similar money, it makes it hard to compete.
Eg I am trying to sell my Mazda MX6 at the moment for around $8900, and even through it is stock (except for rims, tints, and stereo), nobody seems to be interested, as for not much more you can buy a brand new Echo, or Daewoo etc etc instead of a 10 year old car. Plus all these cheap high performance imports such as S4 RX7's etc going for similar money make it even harder to sell.

Just make sure you pick the right car to begin with, modify it to your taste, and run it into the ground, as you'll never get your money back Sad

werd up nigga.

some one of this forum asked me would i sell my cressida 3 days after i ran the 10.7. i said if the right money was offered i would. he offered $22000, fucking joking, try buying a 10sec for $20g. try building one for that and have it registerable, drivable on the street able to do 3000k round trip to queensland.

i see where petes coming from but unfortunately mate i cant see it happening. exaclty what braden said, pick carefully do it the way you want it and run it into the ground or never sell it. it only lost money once you sell it.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Who hates seeing a 10k car go for 6? Tue, 30 August 2005 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1JZ.747 wrote on Tue, 30 August 2005 12:31

werd up nigga.

some one of this forum asked me would i sell my cressida 3 days after i ran the 10.7. i said if the right money was offered i would. he offered $22000, fucking joking, try buying a 10sec for $20g. try building one for that and have it registerable, drivable on the street able to do 3000k round trip to queensland.

i see where petes coming from but unfortunately mate i cant see it happening. exaclty what braden said, pick carefully do it the way you want it and run it into the ground or never sell it. it only lost money once you sell it.

That is why I want to run a 10 second pass also Razz It at least gives some credibility that all the money that has been spent on a car actually did something.
petespipes
Regular

July 2005
Re: Who hates seeing a 10k car go for 6? Fri, 09 September 2005 15:47 Go to previous message
thanks to all for the input,i reckon all had valid points and it has opened my eyes to some new ideas.Time is a hassle for all of us and we would all rather do our thing than compile lists of values of parts and parts combos.
Fact is,a lot of the info we share here really is hard to come by.as an example-currently on tech and conversions there is a person requesting info on front cuts etc for 1j into mx83 cressi.Now on this site that sort of info is very easy to come by.outside this site-Not easy at all [besides cressida.com]
Now at one stage the tech docs section had all this info stored,some seems to have dissapeared.To me this is a big loss as it was so easy in the past to simply direct people to that section.
Also-people interested in adding info or price and availability of conversion parts that we are all aware of being very difficult to find could add on to these "tech-doc" areas would be very handy.
We have a members register,we have a members rides area where we show our cars.
Could we have a members "area of knowledge" register where those that are prepared to answer questions on a particular topic could list themselves and the area of information that they could perhaps assist others in.for example-
Hi Im mr X. I drive a gogo mobile.in 2004 I put x motor in so can assist with info of x donk into gogo.cheers,mr x.
I know this is already possible by searching a topic,finding members involved in said topic and approaching them direct but that is not so acceptable from the person being questioned's point of view.
Before signing off I need to add-as simple as the idea seems-building a car with the idea of keeping or onselling the component parts of that car when moving on is an idea I never considered before various people expressed it in this post.I am definitely going this way from now on!Good parts may well be more likely to hold value than good cars. Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:need legal help against my mechanic
Next Topic:cs 4agze or 100kw twincam
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 17:34:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070569515228271 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.