Toymods » The Outhouse » Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Fri, 12 August 2005 02:29 Go to next message
Since there are threads made with worst movie and stuff, what do you think is the best/crappiest kung fu/martial arts/fighting/any movie with fighting in it movie?

It's not much of a martial arts, but I loved "Who Am I?", the rooftop scene is the best!

I'm not sure if I have a worst but "Best of the best 1864181864116816" would have to do it, where that guy is in a town full of skinheads, I didn't even know it was a fighting movie after I saw the lead guy take out a few guys in slow-mo.

Oh yeh, and Jackie Chan's movie filmed in Australia where he plays a chef, that stunk.

[Updated on: Fri, 12 August 2005 02:30]

Send a private message to this user    
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Fri, 12 August 2005 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not a movie but, Monkey Magic Cool
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Fri, 12 August 2005 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any itto ogami moofie (lone wolf with cub) (river styx was my fav, oh the gore...)
seven samurai
zatoichi (original is good.. recent remake has awesome blood CGI Wink )

any jackie chan/jet li moofies could be in either category...

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Fri, 12 August 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i love the jacki chan movie where the are fighting in the restaurant and the guy keeps on copping bolognaise in his face rofl gold. Um watched a few ones on SBS but not sure of their names pretty cool movies though.
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Fri, 12 August 2005 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kung pow! Laughing
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Fri, 12 August 2005 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fist of the North Star was good
kung pow! best bit is when hes fighting the cow Laughing
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Fri, 12 August 2005 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jackie Chan's Fearless Hyena.
Drunken Master 2 is also great.
TRD-86
Regular

May 2005
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Fri, 12 August 2005 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bloodsport !! ( starring van damme and bolo yueng )

that was pretty cool movie.
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Fri, 12 August 2005 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lone wolf with cub movies are pretty sweet.

bloodsport was pretty good aswell

can't really think of any movies atm
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Fri, 12 August 2005 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bubbles wrote on Fri, 12 August 2005 13:08

Fist of the North Star was good
kung pow! best bit is when hes fighting the cow Laughing

Naw man, the best part was when he punched a whole right through that guy... like, that doesn't seem possible. Surely there should be some organs or blood or something!

lol.

'The One' (Or as I like to call it, Jet Li vs. Jet Li co-starring Jet Li, with more Jet Li guest staring Jet Li and also featuring the martial arts styling of Jet Li and Jet Li) was pretty good.
Kung-Fu Hustle was great! So funny.
Ofcourse, Enter the Dragon needs a mention.

As for bad movies... Hmm... Can't think of any, but I'm sure my local video store has a few.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Sun, 14 August 2005 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
worst movie: karate kid, movies with don "the dragon" wilson
american ninja

good ones : ong bak, mortal kombat, only the strong (capoeira)
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Sun, 14 August 2005 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good: ong bak, kickboxer & bloodsport and i liked police story

bad: yup, the chef jackie chan one, the other jackie chan one in australia.. umm streetfighter, mortal kombat annihilation (FUCKING SH*T HOUSE)
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Sun, 14 August 2005 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
has anyone seen police story 4? Any good
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Sun, 14 August 2005 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BEST: No retreat, no Surrender, American Ninja, Jackie Chans "who am I", Shanghai Noon
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Sun, 14 August 2005 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ong Bak was pretty damn good.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Sun, 14 August 2005 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Sherwood wrote on Sun, 14 August 2005 23:53

Ong Bak was pretty damn good.

Damn right it was!
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Mon, 15 August 2005 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chopper.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Mon, 15 August 2005 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kiss of the dragon wasn't too bad on the weekend and the fight scene in nothing to lose was piss funny last night. Wink
Dorio86
Regular

August 2005
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Mon, 15 August 2005 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All Bruce Lee movies, im a big fan
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Mon, 15 August 2005 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I like Donnie Yen movies.
He is the dude who wields a spear in the Jet Li movie Hero. Is in Iron Monkey...
I watch Highlander Endgame over and over just for his scenes, his character in that is kool.
sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Mon, 15 August 2005 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bloodsport
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Mon, 15 August 2005 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
speaking of movies the pic from sleekers avatar, that movie was on on saturday night lawbowskie or something like that pretty funny only watched about 3/4 of it though
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Mon, 15 August 2005 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unleashed

Jet li is teh win
NickAE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Wed, 17 August 2005 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
enter the dragon
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Wed, 17 August 2005 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bubbles wrote on Sun, 14 August 2005 20:53

is that the New Police Story that came out last year? Yeah its really damn good.. best of the series by far.

as for the topic..

MY WORST - 3 NINJA'S! (ALL 3 MOVIES!)

MY BEST - Azumi (JPN), Musa (KOR)

Notable Mentions -
Naked Weapon (HK) - Chicks. Tight Chicks. Killing and getting Raped. Well thats a Motive!

Thunderbolt (HK) - Jackie Chan.. I dont know whether its the fighting in this movie or the gorgeous cars including Evo 4's, GTO's, Skylines, Etc.. that he just DESTROYS! Well worth a mention though.

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Wed, 17 August 2005 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hamgatan wrote on Wed, 17 August 2005 10:47

bubbles wrote on Sun, 14 August 2005 20:53

is that the New Police Story that came out last year? Yeah its really damn good.. best of the series by far.

Yeah, I've seen it too. Way better than his recent Hollywood crap, but he's definately slowing down compared to his earlier films.

I wouldn't say it's the best of the series, but it's definately worth watching!
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Wed, 17 August 2005 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EvilJack wrote on Mon, 15 August 2005 16:00

Unleashed

Jet li is teh win

Unleashed was CRAP.

I'm a BIG Jet Li fan, but unleashed was really bad. The story was horrible. The good guy was WAY too good, find me someone that actually acts like that and can live day-to-day without someone exploiting the hell out of him. And the fight scenes were way too slow, very slowly choreographed, almost like they had to slow Jet down so that people could "fight" with him.

Best:
Jet Li - Legend of Fung-sai-yuk
Jet Li - Kiss of the dragon
Jet Li - Shaolin Temple
Bruce Lee - enter the dragon
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Wed, 17 August 2005 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SupraPete wrote on Wed, 17 August 2005 13:32

Best:

Fong Sai Yuk 1 & 2 were great movies, but I reckon his best work was the Once Upon A Time In China series.

Wong Fei Hong was a legend. Dead. Set. Legend. Smile
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Wed, 17 August 2005 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Wed, 17 August 2005 14:39

Makes me want a top-knot.
poh_86
Regular

November 2004
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Thu, 18 August 2005 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
best - ninja turtles the movie
- kung fu hustle
- they call me bruce
Sprinter Adam
Regular

July 2005
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Thu, 18 August 2005 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shoulin soccer Laughing Laughing Laughing
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Sat, 20 August 2005 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Wed, 17 August 2005 14:39

Best:

Fong Sai Yuk 1 & 2 were great movies, but I reckon his best work was the Once Upon A Time In China series.

Agreed!!! Once Upon a Time in China 4... best one i reckon, but they're all awesome movies.

Fave Jackie Chan movie's definately Drunken Master 2. Only 3 really good fight scenes but MAN are they good.
Silver-Arrowz
Occasional Poster

July 2002
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Sat, 20 August 2005 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The big boss, Game of death and Fist of fury.
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Sat, 20 August 2005 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Game of death is personally my favourite out of all the Bruce Lee films.

I hate watching Bruce Lee films with the crappy dubbing over it
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Sun, 21 August 2005 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Game of Death is hardly a Bruce Lee film.
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Sun, 21 August 2005 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Game of Death however houses one of the best showcases of Bruce Lee's fighting.... the only section of the movies really shot with Bruce Lee and not snipped from older films...
Some of the recent documentaries has the uncut original fight scenes if U havent already stumbled onto it.

... dubbed movies are often pretty sucky...
But on a worser note I feel sorry for those who cant watch a movie with subtitles... the amount of cinematic geneius they are missing out on...

Anyways, I do indeed believe some of the classics of the historically set martial art films are some of the hottest although they often involve wire work like Once Upon a Time in China 1-3 or Iron Monkey.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Sun, 21 August 2005 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Unleashed was CRAP.

I'm a BIG Jet Li fan, but unleashed was really bad. The story was horrible. The good guy was WAY too good, find me someone that actually acts like that and can live day-to-day without someone exploiting the hell out of him. And the fight scenes were way too slow, very slowly choreographed, almost like they had to slow Jet down so that people could "fight" with him.

What ARE you talking about? The story was awesome, as was most of the acting. yes, the ultra nice black guy was a bit over the top, especialy considering he was blind (you'd think he'd have to be a bit more sus of people ripping him off what with not being able to see and all).

I didn't think the fighting was slow at all. They didn't speed it up, or cut from each punch. No. The camerawork was pretty simple, and it just left you to marvel at Jet Li beating the absolute SNOT outta people. I loved the way he didn't do single strikes. All his attacks where repeated blows (much like everything I've been taught to do in martial arts). He's realy amazing to watch.

Anyway, Unleashed = yes!
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Fri, 26 August 2005 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fist Of Fury for the alltime great lines that it has in it and also for what it stands for as a groundbreaking martial arts film. Same for Enter The Dragon.

Drunken Master

and all those Jackie Chan Movies (Fearless Heyena etc)

For the laughs, Prodigal Son has to be the strangest Kung Fu Movie I've seen. The contrast between the Homosexual Master and Big Ol' Samo Hung is hilarious as the two sides of Wing Chun.

All time arse sucks, 'Best of the Best', anything with Cynthia Rothrock in it, Chuck Norris sucks too. Basically any american martial arts movies.

Although the Karate Kid is immortal (Ah Daniel San, sando froor, wax on, wax off!)

Walker Texas Ranger is teh best!

Saw Ong Bak in Thai and thought it was ok, better than average, but did not make me go all 'Big Kev'.
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Fri, 26 August 2005 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thought id mention some of my old skool chinese favourites

- Crippled Avengers (1976)
- Return to the 36th Chamber
- The Master
- North Shaolin Vs South Shaolin
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Fri, 26 August 2005 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Return to the 36th Chamber
- The Master

Classics indeed and full of endless sampling gems for scratch turntablists Cool
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Fri, 26 August 2005 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For all these mentions of Bruce Lee films...
I think Way of the Dragon is a worthwhile mention...
everyone seems to overlook this one...

Though its not really a martial art film, I have to say one of my all time HK action movies is The Killer. And Id also have to say that this is one of the only films that I like the dubbed version, has a certain charm... I guess maybe because it was sampled on wu-tang albums hehe.
#Fiend#
Regular

July 2005
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Sat, 27 August 2005 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have to agree that unleashed was not that great considering it claims to be "the best Jet Li movie ever", most of the fighting was pretty good (loved the frenzied fighting style) but for a "Jet Li movie" I was expecting all out action and while I am not opposed to story in fight films I thought the one in unleashed was a little silly and boring too in some bits.

As for Jet Li in general I like a lot of his stuff but when they use wires or flash the camera around so much you can't focus (a common theme in recent action movies) it pisses me off.

On the other hand, I Hired Ong Bak a few days later thinking "next bruce lee, no special effects...yeah right". After watching it however I was thoroughly impressed (just don't expect a complex story) and had to watch all of the extra's disc after which I was EVEN MORE impressed. I haven't seen a lot of the "classic" martial arts movies (though I want to) but this is one of the best I have seen.
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Sat, 27 August 2005 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
...just a Jackie Chan movie with Samo Hung and Yuen Biao comes to mind... Dragons Forever.
His duel in the end with Benny The Jet Urquidez is one of the hottest fights I've seen.

Also Jet Li's Fist of Legend is a great movie too.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Mon, 29 August 2005 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's a new martial arts movie from the producer/director of the Once Upon A Time In China series out called Seven Swords.

Sounds good!

More info:
http://imdb.com/title/tt0429078/
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: Best/Worst Kung Fu/Fighting/Martial Arts film Mon, 29 August 2005 05:44 Go to previous message
I was enthusiastic about Seven Swords too.. when I heard its basic storyline.

But according to the review, what I thought would be its key strengths turn out to be flawed

http://www.kfccinema.com/reviews/swordplay/sevensw ords/sevenswords.html

Also... according to interviews, Jet Li appears to be seriously thinking about retiring as an active star in martial art films...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Muck up photo??
Next Topic:DRIFT DVD, anyone seen it??????
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 05:11:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0090370178222656 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.