Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1GGTE Have i blown a headgasket ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
icon5.gif  1GGTE Have i blown a headgasket ? Mon, 29 August 2005 04:32 Go to next message
Hey guys
i think i might have blown a head gasket i'm not 100% sure on it .
I've got some liquid in the number one cylinder (i only checked one)
it's been blowing a bit of smoke or steam i guess but there has been no noticable loss of power the oil is still black. so i'm assuming i've just caught it early ???
but right now i need to how roughly how much it will cost to try and ensure it doesn't happen again.

Thanks mookie

[Updated on: Mon, 29 August 2005 04:35]

Send a private message to this user    
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1GGTE Have i blown a headgasket ? Mon, 29 August 2005 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That could just mean that you have a leak between a coolant passage & cyl #1, but not between coolant & oil.

Doesn't sound good, what are you going to do?
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1GGTE Have i blown a headgasket ? Mon, 29 August 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know what to do.
what are my options ? either way i'll have to replace a head gasket i guess.

i just hope thats the only thing that needs replacing.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1GGTE Have i blown a headgasket ? Mon, 29 August 2005 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do a co2 test before you jump to any conclusions.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1GGTE Have i blown a headgasket ? Mon, 29 August 2005 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you DO end up buying a headgasket kit, I'll be happy to buy some of the other parts you don't need (turbo gaskets etc etc).
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1GGTE Have i blown a headgasket ? Mon, 29 August 2005 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
headgasket is $80 from toyota

dont need the whole kit

but prolly better do it while you got the head off
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1GGTE Have i blown a headgasket ? Mon, 29 August 2005 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so there is no way i can get around changing the HG.
is this the only thing it could be ?
what would have caused this ? wrong coolant ?

Mookie
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1GGTE Have i blown a headgasket ? Mon, 29 August 2005 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Mon, 29 August 2005 14:21

Do a co2 test before you jump to any conclusions.

BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: 1GGTE Have i blown a headgasket ? Mon, 29 August 2005 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep this is exact same thing that happen to be but on cylinder two. No water in the oil but there was a tiny hole between the cylinder and coolant passage. You have to replace the head gasket. Its a fun job....
But just in case do compression test to make sure.

Coolant has nothing to do with a head gasket....did u boost the car at all? Also it could be due to wear and tear and giving too much shit...and yeah u have to replace the gasket...asap.
If u are in Melbourne I can refer u to someone to get your valve stem seals replaced while u have the head off, providing it was smoking before u blew the head gasket.
Also you need the torque setting for everything you remove, when u tighten it back up. Since you will need too remove pretty much everything except the block its self and maybe the inlet manifold... I can provide you with figures for them....
DFECTD
Regular

August 2004
icon10.gif  Re: 1GGTE Have i blown a headgasket ? Mon, 29 August 2005 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chemi - Weld Smile
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: 1GGTE Have i blown a headgasket ? Mon, 29 August 2005 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BLK1GGTE wrote on Mon, 29 August 2005 19:38

Coolant has nothing to do with a head gasket.

No, coolant has alot to do with one.

I would also get my head surface grinded if i found a blown HG, maybe even block. But at minimum a head surface atleast.

If u have seen a Cyl head on the surface grinder after its had a blown HG u will know y. The depression stands out alot more when there is fresh virgin material all around it.
Thats just me. Tho i do surface grind a head atleast once a week.

Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1GGTE Have i blown a headgasket ? Tue, 30 August 2005 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I rang up the local mechanic and asked for a co2 check to be done but he wasn't quite sure what i meant.
He said they can either check the co2 coming out of the muffler or the co2 in the radiator ??????

These guys don't often work on imports but they have the biggest shop in my area so what do u guys think ?
what is involved in a co2 test ?
thanks again mookie
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1GGTE Have i blown a headgasket ? Tue, 30 August 2005 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why the fuck would you check for co2 in the muffler if you are testing for a BHG

In the radiator dude.

If the is co2 (or is it carbon monoxide?) in the coolant, then you have a BHG between coolant passage and cylinder.
If there is none, you probably don't have a BHG
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1GGTE Have i blown a headgasket ? Tue, 30 August 2005 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Imports or not imports, the test is the same.

You remove the radiator cap (VERY carefully), start the car, put the little tester device above the radiator opening, and it tests the air coming out.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1GGTE Have i blown a headgasket ? Tue, 30 August 2005 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ohk ok thanks i think the guy had it confused with an emmissions test.

I've got it booked in for friday next week but i'm ringing around to try and get somewhere that can do it earlyer
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1GGTE Have i blown a headgasket ? Tue, 30 August 2005 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mookie wrote on Tue, 30 August 2005 10:14

ohk ok thanks i think the guy had it confused with an emmissions test.

I've got it booked in for friday next week but i'm ringing around to try and get somewhere that can do it earlyer

I'm guessing you neglected to tell him that you wanted to test for a BHG?

Just drive to any radiator shop right now, and ask them to do the test.

It takes them 30secs.
RA40Celica
Regular

June 2002
  chris_rg@jabber.org
Re: 1GGTE Have i blown a headgasket ? Tue, 30 August 2005 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

take the radiator cap off when cold. start it up, let it idle and warm up. See if there are bubbles in the coolant. check the compression, are they all equal?. Is there white foam looking stuff around the oil filler cap or dip stick?

does it start well when cold, or does it miss on some cylinders?

all of these things can help you decide if its head gasket.
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: 1GGTE Have i blown a headgasket ? Tue, 30 August 2005 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i agree, with head surfacing the head, for the money that it cost, i think about 100 bucks its not worth pulling off the head again if it doesn't seal, although sometimes its not necessary if the car has not overheated. Again for the cost its not worth the risk...

Why does coolant have a lot to do with a blown head gasket...Someone explain this to me...
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1GGTE Have i blown a headgasket ? Tue, 30 August 2005 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seriously, ignor all this other stuff. if there's no oil in your coolant, froth in your oil or smoke under load, then the oil galleries are intact. tehrefore it can only be coolant (if it's blown) as cruz said, go to a rad shop, they'll charge you like $20 if that), and you'll know for sure if there's a problem.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1GGTE Have i blown a headgasket ? Wed, 31 August 2005 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I took out the spark plugs and it appears that number two and number 5 have been sparking pretty hard because that most of that hook part is missing.

and there was only about .5mm of water in cylinder one and none in any of the others.
altho on numbers 4-6 there was oil on the top part of the spark plug (the area not in the cylinder).

I have no idea what this means bu i've ordered 6 new plugs anyway.

Mookie
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1GGTE Have i blown a headgasket ? Wed, 31 August 2005 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you had the coolant tested yet like I said?
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1GGTE Have i blown a headgasket ? Wed, 31 August 2005 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah i rang the radiator shop and they can't test it till next week,
either that or they don't want to do it till next week
i don't want to drive it too far the way it is at the moment so i'll just use the places close to me.
but i can wait cuz it's going to take a few days to get new plugs anyway.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1GGTE Have i blown a headgasket ? Fri, 02 September 2005 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I still didn't get a chance to do a comp test.
1st off the radiator hose blew off.
then there was oil smoke coming out somewhere inbetween the dizzy and front turbo.
then it was a massive CLUNCK and just stopped dead
i think it's let go of a big end bearing i'm not sure tho.
so we towed it back home.
it wasn't keeping a steady flow in the radiator tho it kept spilling out then it would stop and go calm, then about a second later it would bubble out again.
so i don't know.

Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: 1GGTE Have i blown a headgasket ? Fri, 02 September 2005 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BHG. Its fucked now Surprised Coolant bubbling out is not a good sign. Otherwise its coz you were driving like all the tasmanians here seem to do.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1GGTE Have i blown a headgasket ? Fri, 02 September 2005 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I drive nothing like most of the tassie members.
I'm pretty hard on it.

all i need now is a new motor, well that and the money to buy it
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1GGTE Have i blown a headgasket ? Fri, 02 September 2005 06:05 Go to previous message
Yian wrote on Fri, 02 September 2005 14:19

BHG. Its fucked now Surprised Coolant bubbling out is not a good sign. Otherwise its coz you were driving like all the tasmanians here seem to do.

im with him coolant bubbling up suddenly then calming down is def the sign u want for a bhg
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1G-GZE boost upgrade
Next Topic:T series engine in R series body?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 20:51:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053668022155762 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.