Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
L4AGZE
Occasional Poster

October 2004
4AGZE Conversion help Sun, 28 August 2005 18:01 Go to next message

Hi,

Right the problem I have is I cannot get the engine running. I have had the wiring checked and it is correct, the ECU Igniter and Crank angle sensor and both coil packs have all been tested on other ZE's and work fine.

When cranking the engine it tries starting but doesnt. It appears as though two of the spark plugs dont spark. I get a spark at 1 & 4 but not at 2 & 3 if I swap the lead over from the igniter to the coil packs then 2 & 3 fire but not 1 & 4.

The engine has ben stood for about 2 years so would this cause any issues? The engine is getting fuel pressure that has been checked. Starter motor?????

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4AGZE Conversion help Sun, 28 August 2005 18:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
L4AGZE wrote on Mon, 29 August 2005 04:01

When cranking the engine it tries starting but doesnt. It appears as though two of the spark plugs dont spark. I get a spark at 1 & 4 but not at 2 & 3 if I swap the lead over from the igniter to the coil packs then 2 & 3 fire but not 1 & 4.

pull off and test then replace the lead from the igniter to the coil packs..
if it'S not the coils, and it's not the igniter.. it has to be the connecting wires no?

[Updated on: Sun, 28 August 2005 18:05]

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4AGZE Conversion help Mon, 29 August 2005 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about the ignition leads themselves??
L4AGZE
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: 4AGZE Conversion help Mon, 29 August 2005 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im certain that its not the ignition leads (brand new magnecor items) as when the wire from igniter to coil packs are swapped over and 2 & 3 fire it is using the existing ignition lead (from coil pack to plug)
Have not tested the leads from the igniter to coil pack yet, hopefully will get a chance to do this over the next couple of days.
adavy84
Regular

February 2003

Re: 4AGZE Conversion help Mon, 29 August 2005 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey one thing you should check and check again is the CAS. I had a simalar problem with mine.. i thought it was the ignition, leads, coils..ect but if wasnt.. ended up being the Crank sensor. It is very sensitive also. Mine was just set wrong.

You can test to see if it works by taking it out, and when u turn the gear with your hand you can hear/see the sparks and fuel pump go on.

Give this ago if you havent already.
L4AGZE
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: 4AGZE Conversion help Mon, 29 August 2005 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The CAS is fine it has been tested on another 4AGZE and works fine and is set correectly too. Im 100% certain the ECU igniter and CAS work fine (all tested on other ZE's) so its got to be something else.
Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: 4AGZE Conversion help Mon, 29 August 2005 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
faulty ecu?

got any fault codes? also if theres no codes, that doesnt mean its not the ecu....
L4AGZE
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: 4AGZE Conversion help Tue, 30 August 2005 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

The ECU was tested on another ZE and ran fine for the whole day without any fault codes so i guess that ruled that out. It must be in the wiring somewhere but where is that hard part to decipher.

Thanks
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4AGZE Conversion help Tue, 30 August 2005 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
L4AGZE wrote on Mon, 29 August 2005 04:01

I get a spark at 1 & 4 but not at 2 & 3 if I swap the lead over from the igniter to the coil packs then 2 & 3 fire but not 1 & 4.

it MUST be the lead if it does what you say. how could it possiblky be anything else if everything else works? AND it works when you swap over the leads...

just make up new ones and be done with it Razz
Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: 4AGZE Conversion help Tue, 30 August 2005 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah yeah what he said ^
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4AGZE Conversion help Tue, 30 August 2005 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and what i said. Cool
L4AGZE
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: 4AGZE Conversion help Tue, 06 September 2005 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Well as it turned out it was not the ignition leads. It turned out to be a +12 volt feed was missing from the fuse box to a connector near the ECU. Will post a picture up later.

Anyway after being stood for a long time and a lot of head scratching the engine has fired up and runs great. Just need to work out if i need a 4AGZE fuse box or if to just wire a relay in as when you turn the ignition off the engine does not switch off until the feed in the fuse box is removed.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4AGZE Conversion help Tue, 06 September 2005 13:19 Go to previous message
sounds like your EFI main relay is on a feedback loop Razz

just do an external one Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Bolt-in tachometer question
Next Topic:AE86 rims dimension