Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
teejay
Regular

November 2004
icon6.gif  I have a JZX81 half cut Mon, 29 August 2005 12:47 Go to next message
Hey all,

Ive been a long time reader, never a poster, mainly due to my owning of nissans (rb25 aussie r31 and atm 4 door 32 with a few mods) and knowing very little about Toyota's....

But now I have gone and done something crazy - I have got my hands on a 1JZ JZX81 cut - r154 box, short shifter, suspected a/m clutch , pod filter, and it looks like it may have dumps already Smile

Anyhow my question relates to the second part of the equation.

I have the ability to get my hands on either :

a) a MX83 cressida in rare factory black , currently 7MGE Auto

b) grabbing a N/A 20 series soarer

My preference , honestly, is the soarer, mainly because i think they are a better looking car, have irs , and are probobly easier to find mods for to begin with.

However, a few people have said to me I wont be able to fit the 81 cut in due to differing reasons ( some say sump, some say mounts) into the Soarers. So for simplicity reasons.. id go the cressida.

Therefore

1 - is it feasible to fit a jzx81 cut to a 20 series soarer with ease? do i need to do any major mods to fit it?

2 - if I go cressida , is it possible to also source a jzx81 rear cut and chage the entire rear end to irs, thus allowing me access to lsd's , coilovers etc, or is there simpler answers at home here in Aus?

this may have been covered before, so i apologise, and thank you all for your answers and time up front. Im struck down really hard with the flue atm, and am stuck at work so searching for hours isnt overly feasible. Ive only got a couple of days to decide too.

cheers,

TJ
  Send a private message to this user    
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Mon, 29 August 2005 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Cressida SHOULD Be IRS. I have heard of some with a solid rear axel, but I have no idea why they exist.
teejay
Regular

November 2004
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Mon, 29 August 2005 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was under the impression the Aus ones where live axle..

like i said my toyo knowledge is lacking.

Last year there was a import jzx81 for sale here in WA

ex diesel with live axle... i simply assumed Aussie models copped the same?
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Mon, 29 August 2005 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All ADM ones, are IRS, and if you get your self a 'Grande' version you get LSD as standard.

Also I believe that the black ones were used as funeral cars? I remember reading something like this a while back, so you might want to get it exorcised Wink
teejay
Regular

November 2004
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Mon, 29 August 2005 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hahaha nice

I know a bit about the cars history

Mate 1 had it two odd years ago, couldnt find a cut to save his live

Sold it to mate 2, whos dad drove it every day

It then went to mate 2 sister, and its just copped a fresh 7m engine.. which i wont be needing hehe Smile
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Mon, 29 August 2005 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well if you're set on the cressida, read this website. http://www.thermactor.com/ The forums are good also!
teejay
Regular

November 2004
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Mon, 29 August 2005 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well like I said my first preference is a soarer...

hence this thread Smile
1ndecent
Regular

January 2003
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Mon, 29 August 2005 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Custom mounts are pretty easy to make, so the Soarer shouldn't be a problem in that regard. Any conversion is going to be a bit of work so you may as well pick the car you like best!
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Mon, 29 August 2005 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cressida + jzx81 cut = a days work

as peeack stated all ADM cressidas are IRS

the live axle cressidas were diesel, sfa around LX80 they are called

have a read at toyotacressida.net | jzxproject.com | jzx81.net
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Mon, 29 August 2005 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you decide to buy the Z20 Soarer, sell the JZX81 front cut (should be easy, they're fairly sought after now) and buy a JZA70 front cut instead.

MX83 -> JXZ81 = bolt in

MZ20 -> JZA70 = bolt in

Trying to do either conversion with different front cuts is just making the job a lot more difficult than it needs to be.

Oh, and if it was me I'd be buying the black Cressida for sure. Lowered with some deep-dish wheels it will look pimp. Very Happy

[Updated on: Mon, 29 August 2005 22:56]

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Mon, 29 August 2005 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pimping is the only way. MX83 - do it.

I have reasons for this suggestion:

# 4 doors - mates, girls, family (heaven forbid that happens to me one day...), booze, etc can all fit sooo much easier.
# Sleeper - police, dickheads, theives etc will not pay excessive attention to you
# Parts - MX83 is aussie delivered, and thus parts will be not too hard to find.

Either way, its a good choice.

Welcome to the light side of the force
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Tue, 30 August 2005 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All MX83's have IRS.

The Live axle versions (one of which was for sale on here a while ago?) to my knowledge are LX80's i.e. import diesel powered cressidas of the same shape.

As norbie said, you might as well make life easier for yourself and get a JZA70 cut if the soarer is the way you want to go...this is by no means saying that you can't fit the JZX81 engine into the MZ20, it is just more work.

Cheers
Wilbo
teejay
Regular

November 2004
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Tue, 30 August 2005 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that guys

So im pretty much going to go for the cressida it appears

What does one do for lsd , suspension etc?

300hp 1jz and single legger wont get along very well at all methinks.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Tue, 30 August 2005 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
teejay wrote on Tue, 30 August 2005 13:16

Thanks for that guys

So im pretty much going to go for the cressida it appears

What does one do for lsd , suspension etc?

300hp 1jz and single legger wont get along very well at all methinks.

As already said MX83's Grande's has LSD from factory. It's a G series so you should be able to get an aftermarket LSD (such as a trutrack easily as well if you desire).

For suspension there is stuff available.

Cheers
Wilbo
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Tue, 30 August 2005 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An LSD centre from a MA70/GZ20/Hilux is a direct fit. You can also get aftermarket LSD's.

Suspension is easy, get JZX81 Chaser gear from Japan. John from ImportBitz will be able to get you some.

Also check out my brake upgrade for the MX83 front end.
teejay
Regular

November 2004
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Tue, 30 August 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have been told the grande diffs dont cop with abuse really well.. so id likely go aftermarket straight up

Good to hear JZX81 collies fit , as I can source stuff from japan with ease.

Seems like a pimed out black cressida is coming your way Smile
guilty_19
Regular

March 2004
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Tue, 30 August 2005 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check out the "1jz 747" mx83 cressida on this forum

10.7 with 400 hp...........think it is in the members rides section
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Tue, 30 August 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
grande diff will be fine

mines supporting over 200rwkw...cant go wrong with the g series
teejay
Regular

November 2004
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Tue, 30 August 2005 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
one quick question guys

whats the go in regards to tailshaft?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Tue, 30 August 2005 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
teejay wrote on Tue, 30 August 2005 16:17

Have been told the grande diffs dont cop with abuse really well.. so id likely go aftermarket straight up

Whoever told you that is smoking crack. The Grande has the same G series LSD as the Supra/Soarer/Hilux and they're very tough indeed.

As for the tailshaft, you'll probably need a custom front section to suit the R154, unless an MA70 tailshaft happens to fit?
teejay
Regular

November 2004
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Wed, 31 August 2005 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah im not sure whether the boxes are the same length.. id say they are but like ive said, im not a toyota expert Sad
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Wed, 31 August 2005 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
teejay wrote on Wed, 31 August 2005 12:54

Yeah im not sure whether the boxes are the same length.. id say they are but like ive said, im not a toyota expert Sad

They aren't the same length (auto/manual), what Norbie was saying is that you may be able to use a MA70 manual tailshaft as it may be the right length...

Cheers
Wilbo
teejay
Regular

November 2004
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Wed, 31 August 2005 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah ok .. it makes more sence now.

However, I believe the cut comes with front half of tailshaft so that should be a help

If not time to do some parts digging
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Wed, 31 August 2005 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most front cuts come with the tailshaft chopped off a couple of inches past the yoke, which isn't much help really. However if yours has the whole front section of the tailshaft (including centre bearing) you'll be laughing.
teejay
Regular

November 2004
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Wed, 31 August 2005 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it doesnt, then ill simply go a one piece custom shaft

last conversion was a R34 GTT gearbox behind a rb20 in a r32 .. went a two piece, and it lasted 8 weeks...
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Wed, 31 August 2005 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a 2-piece behind a 400hp 2JZ. It lasted 2.5 years before one of the uni's let go. Your Skyline obviously had problems but I wouldn't leap to the conclusion that being a 2-piece shaft caused the problem.
wagonboy
Regular

August 2004
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Wed, 31 August 2005 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
teejay wrote on Wed, 31 August 2005 12:51

If it doesnt, then ill simply go a one piece custom shaft

last conversion was a R34 GTT gearbox behind a rb20 in a r32 .. went a two piece, and it lasted 8 weeks...

HAHA yeh well i wonder why that was Laughing

Go the Cressida tj, with simple mods like suspension, tint and 18's how nice did scott's old one look
XmaGe
Regular

November 2004
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Wed, 31 August 2005 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Getting a tailshaft for your conversion is goning to cost you, if you get it done properly Rolling Eyes

There are no tailshafts that are going to straight up fit if you make a cressida 1jz. However a soarer 1jz+r154 may fit with a manual 1jz tailshaft but I can confirm this.

A two piece custom tailshaft can set you back 1000-1600 dosh. and make sure you get your hands on a 23 spline input as these aren't easily available over the shelf.

Also expect the uni joints on tailshafts this age to be flogged. 300-600 dosh to drill and fix.

I think, the most expensive part of my gearbox conversion.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Wed, 31 August 2005 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
XmaGe wrote on Wed, 31 August 2005 18:21

Getting a tailshaft for your conversion is goning to cost you, if you get it done properly Rolling Eyes

There are no tailshafts that are going to straight up fit if you make a cressida 1jz. However a soarer 1jz+r154 may fit with a manual 1jz tailshaft but I can confirm this.

A two piece custom tailshaft can set you back 1000-1600 dosh. and make sure you get your hands on a 23 spline input as these aren't easily available over the shelf.

Also expect the uni joints on tailshafts this age to be flogged. 300-600 dosh to drill and fix.

I think, the most expensive part of my gearbox conversion.

Did you get many quotes?

My diveshaft cost $300 and that was brand new, the whole lot (uni's & both yokes) single piece!

I think Norbies was only around $450-500? for his modified two piece hilux haft....

$1000 sounds like a lot for a driveshaft Confused

Cheers
Wilbo
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Wed, 31 August 2005 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im pretty sure stitt got a custom 2 piece made for around $750 with 3" mega thick shaft and hilux unis.
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Wed, 31 August 2005 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can get away with the ma70 front half and mx83 rear half of the driveshaft to fit the r154, the r154 needs a bit of a tunnel bash to fit in the x83 chassis

better yet if you can source a jzx81 driveshaft it will fit fine and its beafier than the stock mx83 one.
XmaGe
Regular

November 2004
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Wed, 31 August 2005 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not many places that do 23 spline in perth

Sad ya very unhappy about the price. Last part to get done on my car too. Veem did it for me. (abeit with a bit of a fuck around)

I got SS comodore unis. Rolling Eyes
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Wed, 31 August 2005 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wilbo666 wrote on Wed, 31 August 2005 18:30

I think Norbies was only around $450-500? for his modified two piece hilux haft....

Hilux tailshaft: $88 from wreckers with good uni's.
Modifications: $250 including new centre bearing.

$1k+ is just silly.
Adsport
Regular

December 2003
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Wed, 31 August 2005 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a mate of mine, who is also a poster on this forum had the front section of his std two peice JZA70 driveshaft modified by veem when he converted from auto A340 to R154 at the cost of $400 . the car has done numerous track days and events with no problems, makes about 300hp.

stuff breaks when you abuse it tj! ahaha
teejay
Regular

November 2004
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Wed, 31 August 2005 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1500 dollars for a taishaft... you got ripped off!

ads would you have any toyo bits lying around?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Thu, 01 September 2005 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The R154 spline is the same as the A340E spline.

You just have to get the stock shalf lengthed.

My last one cost me $175
XmaGe
Regular

November 2004
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Thu, 01 September 2005 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For sure.

I had my wallet extracted out of my ass. Veem was probably the worst joint I have dealt with.

The first day I got the tailshaft back they had put on a 21 spline. So I takes it back and they wanted me to pay for the change over. I got furious when I told him that Veem were the people that told me I needed 23 spline in the first place.

From memory I needed a new centrebearing, new unis (all) and the tailshaft lengthened. He wanted to use old or spare pieces around the shop but only wanted to know about $100 off the price so I told him to forget it.

That all being said the tailshaft is perfect.

A few other driveline places turned me down at the door.
teejay
Regular

November 2004
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Thu, 01 September 2005 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
taken time to sit back and rethink

might do a couple of things while its apart

dumps - how much do they really mean ? and should i do it while its apart

fuel - what pump to use for around 300 rwhp ?
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Thu, 01 September 2005 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dumps are definatly worth it, the stock ones are pretty restrictive. PM Petes Pipes and ask him about them, he makes 1j MX83 dump pipes.

I've got a walbro fuel pump of some description, and it works perfectly, but I'm sure someone else can explain about fuel pumps better than I can.
teejay
Regular

November 2004
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Thu, 01 September 2005 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha wont be using a walbro ...
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Thu, 01 September 2005 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How come?
teejay
Regular

November 2004
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Thu, 01 September 2005 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive had my "experiences"

lets not get into it
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Thu, 01 September 2005 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can use a Bosch 044

They are a fair bit more expensive than the Walbro though, pretty noisey too.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Fri, 02 September 2005 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know a lot of people who have used Walbro pumps with no issues. Mine is still going strong after 2.5 years.
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Fri, 02 September 2005 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tell us your experiences Smile

In my cressida have a new Walbro 255lph I got off eBay for $138, fitted it myself and goes flawlessly.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Fri, 02 September 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
90% of new Walbro's sold for less than $170 off ebay are FAKES.

I doubt many places can get them cheaper than ImportBitz, who sell for $170.

All genuine Walbro's are stamped with a big "W" and all have an individual serial number on them.

Its most likely these fakes that have failed in your mates cars.
teejay
Regular

November 2004
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Fri, 02 September 2005 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im well aware of what the deal is with fakes and real walbros

my personal experiences have lead my to choose to not use one this time around. Ie I have owned one in my rb25r31, and it wasnt a pleasant experience.

Id rather pay more and live in peace.

My question should have been is there a direct bolt in for a cressida?
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Fri, 02 September 2005 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

My question should have been is there a direct bolt in for a cressida?

yes. walbro 255 intank with toyota fitment tank will directly fit
Endless
Regular

October 2004
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Fri, 02 September 2005 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
teejay wrote on Thu, 01 September 2005 23:31

dumps - how much do they really mean ? and should i do it while its apart

Yeah its well known that the factory 1j dumps are fairly restrictive , from what ive heard they are a worthwhile upgrade i beleive theres ~20rwkw gain to be had from a well made set of twin dumps. It would be easier to do this upgrade while the engine is apart too , as you wont have exhaust .. etc connected.
Pzest
Regular

November 2004

Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Sat, 03 September 2005 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm rather interesting, where did you score a jzx81 cut from?
id be interested in getting one in the near future Razz
teejay
Regular

November 2004
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Sat, 03 September 2005 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A good friend of mine bought it in, he usually deals exclusively in Nissan

Id say unless you paid cash upfront he wouldnt be willing to go through the hassle of it again unfortunately
teejay
Regular

November 2004
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Sun, 04 September 2005 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heya all

Ive taken delivery of my cressida - i can now see why they are so highly rated ! smooth refined quiet, everything the other family cars of the era wernt.

Took it for a bit of a drive - and jesus they are a boat to drive stock ! ride height more suited to aviation purposes, and not alot of composure, though as ive just come from a modded skyline, it may be being a little harsh here

So a few new questions -

1 - what do you guys do for suspension ? Is simply getting lowered stuff with some stiffness in it ok ?
2 - how good is the standard lsd? just looking at the prices of aftermarket stuff, id say factory is expensive enough !
teejay
Regular

November 2004
Re: I have a JZX81 half cut Sun, 04 September 2005 15:35 Go to previous message
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=79890&rid=8262&S=2036248584ca8c146248d56 9b91c21ab&pl_view=&start=0#msg_753209

will that fit guys?

cheers,

Tj
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Car Wont Start!!!!!
Next Topic:Power Steering Filter...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:53:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068190097808838 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar