Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
323_rotor_guy
Occasional Poster

August 2003
S.C AW11 over fueling, help please Sat, 27 August 2005 23:57 Go to next message
my aw11 mr2 seems to use alot of fuel for the size of it type thing, but it still seems to go really well, it also blows a bit of black smoke on start up and stop and start traffic stuff also indicating over fueling, but i don't want to start aimlessly replacing parts when i don't know what it is

thanks in advance
  Send a private message to this user    
Hodgo
Regular

August 2004
Re: S.C AW11 over fueling, help please Sun, 28 August 2005 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats pretty normal for the stock puter.
I took mine to the dyno and the A/F ratio was off the chart ie. greater than 10:1
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: S.C AW11 over fueling, help please Sun, 28 August 2005 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the gze does kinda run rich.

check for a leaky cold start injector and check none of the others are stuck open. then possibly bung FPR
XPLOSV
Occasional Poster

May 2003
Re: S.C AW11 over fueling, help please Sun, 28 August 2005 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you noticed your car using oil at the dip stick?

[Updated on: Sun, 28 August 2005 03:02]

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: S.C AW11 over fueling, help please Sun, 28 August 2005 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah they do run rich on the stock computer. However the fuel tank is pretty tiny so it looks like its using more fuel than it actually is
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: S.C AW11 over fueling, help please Sun, 28 August 2005 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much over fueling do you reckon? have you even averaged how many km's you get per fill?

I have worked out mine gets an average of 11 or 12L/100km's, but it also depends how you drive, I have had a best of 10, but worst of about 20 Rolling Eyes , out at the race track when you are giving it constant

they are thirsty buggars.

this might be a good time to ask, does anyone know if there are any such plugin devices that enable you to adjust a/f ratios to lean it out a little, or can you get piggy back chips of something for the AW11SC?,

sorry for the hijack but its relevant Smile
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: S.C AW11 over fueling, help please Sun, 28 August 2005 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
apexi safc does fuel correction

toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: S.C AW11 over fueling, help please Sun, 28 August 2005 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do it properly. microtech, autronic, wolf3d etc etc. youll just eventually kick yourself for not going with a proper computer instead of a piggy back.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: S.C AW11 over fueling, help please Sun, 28 August 2005 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah I have been thinking about it, but there are some issues with SC control on aftermarket ecus, it may be better, I would tend to lean to a autronic or haltech, steer clear of microtech, not great for daily drivers.

was only really thinking that for more fuel ecomony without a $3000 laydown, I am not really after the power.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: S.C AW11 over fueling, help please Sun, 28 August 2005 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to the guys that say it's normal for to blow black smoke at start-up/idle etc are talking out your ass. they do not and should not blow black smoke (or any smoke really) in these times on a standard engine/ecu set-up.

323_rotor_guy, have you tried to check for any codes the ECU might be throwing?
are you sure that the smoke at start up is indeed fuel and not oil?
Quote:

check for a leaky cold start injector and check none of the others are stuck open. then possibly bung FPR

there's a start if it is fuel.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: S.C AW11 over fueling, help please Sun, 28 August 2005 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wiso wrote on Sun, 28 August 2005 19:25

yeah I have been thinking about it, but there are some issues with SC control on aftermarket ecus, it may be better, I would tend to lean to a autronic or haltech, steer clear of microtech, not great for daily drivers.

was only really thinking that for more fuel ecomony without a $3000 laydown, I am not really after the power.

you should be able to get a wolf or haltech installed + tuned for less than 3k...

I dont know what type of sc controll issues you are talking about as mine is fine has no problmes isnt harsh when it cuts in and i can plug the laptop in to change what throttle or load position i want it to cut in at any time..

Altho many people on here would flame me for saying this i agree with your microtech statement...

I have an aftermarket fuel controller R-Spec that can adjust the fuel mixtures over specific rpm ranges. I can send you a photo if you want im obviously not using it anymore and i would like to see some1 get some benefit from it... If your handy with the wiring or know somebody who is it might be of use to u.. Only cost me $100 and the guy used it on his 4age sprinter so it will be compatible with a gze...

toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: S.C AW11 over fueling, help please Mon, 29 August 2005 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Mon, 29 August 2005 07:31

to the guys that say it's normal for to blow black smoke at start-up/idle etc are talking out your ass. they do not and should not blow black smoke (or any smoke really) in these times on a standard engine/ecu set-up.

323_rotor_guy, have you tried to check for any codes the ECU might be throwing?
are you sure that the smoke at start up is indeed fuel and not oil?
Quote:

there's a start if it is fuel.

exactly. yes GZE's and most toyota forced engines run a hint on te rich side but not enough to be blowing smoke.

my guess would be a leaky injectoror. or its not fuel smoke just some oil... if its only on start up possibly valve stems ?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: S.C AW11 over fueling, help please Mon, 29 August 2005 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wiso wrote on Sun, 28 August 2005 17:25

steer clear of microtech, not great for daily drivers.

Stop bad-mouthing them on hearsay, if it's not great for a daily driver, the tuner didn't do their job properly.

Garbage in = garbage out No No No
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: S.C AW11 over fueling, help please Mon, 29 August 2005 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Mon, 29 August 2005 10:27

wiso wrote on Sun, 28 August 2005 17:25

steer clear of microtech, not great for daily drivers.

Stop bad-mouthing them on hearsay, if it's not great for a daily driver, the tuner didn't do their job properly.

Garbage in = garbage out No No No

whatd i tell you about getting flamed.

look if he dosent want to use a microtech dont force your opinions onto him
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: S.C AW11 over fueling, help please Mon, 29 August 2005 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Mon, 29 August 2005 10:27

hearsay... yes man, you have no clue, I helped a mate intstall his mirco ech we got it tuned.... hmm all hearsay. the tuner did a good job, but not a good I others i have seen running, especially for daily use, track use, mircotechs are awsome

but enough of that now, this is not the thread for it.
4agte I'll pm you about that.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: S.C AW11 over fueling, help please Tue, 30 August 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Mon, 29 August 2005 13:56

look if he dosent want to use a microtech dont force your opinions onto him

I'm not forcing my opinions onto him. I'm just stopping the spread of misinformation. A Microtech that isn't running right is a poorly tuned Microtech, no fault of the ECU itself.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: S.C AW11 over fueling, help please Tue, 30 August 2005 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I'm not forcing my opinions onto him. I'm just stopping the spread of misinformation. A Microtech that isn't running right is a poorly tuned Microtech, no fault of the ECU itself.

Exactly. I will guarantee that my (microtech controlled) car runs smoother, runs down the quarter quicker, is more fuel efficient and has better cold start than most cars on this forum with aftermarket ECU's regardless of brand. After being in some cars I would be confident to say my car runs better than a lot of conversions people are using factory ECU's with Wink

EVERY car I have seen where people bitch about something not being good is because it was not installed/fabricated/tuned/etc properly.

Microtechs are generally purchased by tightarses who have skimped on every aspect of their build or conversion and continue to skimp and cut corners on the ECU installation and tune, then bitch and moan about the bloody ECU being at fault. One of the big pluses of a microtech is the base map it comes with which allows you to usually drive to the tuner, but this I am afraid is also a downfall as most tightarses just continue to use this map and never really have a car that drives very nicely as they are too tight to fork out for a good tune.

The number of cars that have an ECU installed well and tuned well is very farken small.

Back on topic:

Quote:

it also blows a bit of black smoke on start up and stop and start traffic stuff also indicating over fueling

This is not normal for a ZE as some people have indicated Rolling Eyes you have a problem of some sort and despite the intelligence of some forum members it will probably be pretty hard to diagnose over the net. Go to a decent tuning workshop and have them diagnose the issue.

Yes 4AGZE's run a bit rich but it's really only at WOT where it is so rich that you get unburnt fuel coming out the exhaust as black smoke.

TOYMODS TECH - Spreading the misinformation.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: S.C AW11 over fueling, help please Tue, 30 August 2005 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke382TG wrote on Tue, 30 August 2005 17:33

Microtechs are generally purchased by tightarses who have skimped on every aspect of their build or conversion and continue to skimp and cut corners on the ECU installation and tune, then bitch and moan about the bloody ECU being at fault.

If its generally tightasses who buy microtech's then what does that say about Microtech's...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: S.C AW11 over fueling, help please Tue, 30 August 2005 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Tue, 30 August 2005 15:48

If its generally tightasses who buy microtech's then what does that say about Microtech's...

Umm...they're value for money... Rolling Eyes
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: S.C AW11 over fueling, help please Tue, 30 August 2005 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was thinking budget low quality etc etc

edit: thats what it says to me

[Updated on: Tue, 30 August 2005 07:52]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: S.C AW11 over fueling, help please Tue, 30 August 2005 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Tue, 30 August 2005 15:51

I'd agree...if it were true.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: S.C AW11 over fueling, help please Tue, 30 August 2005 11:16 Go to previous message
Quote:

My MTX8 is about 4 to 5 years old, no probs have occured at all, if I have one I will let you know Wink It has performed faultlessly in temps from -7 to +40, around town, on the track, at the drags, long trips etc etc.

I would have to say that they represent value rather than low quality, especially in the new series of units.

But in the end I couldn't give two tenths of a f#$k what ECU people use Very Happy I have nothing to do with the automotive industry so I have nothing to gain or lose.

Basically my previous post was trying to point to the fact that if an individual has $4000 to spend on the purchase of an ECU then it is also likely that they have adequate funds to pay for tuning to be carried out and will expect a high standard result.

Someone who spends very little on the ECU will be likely to spend very little on the tune. The classic line "I'm not paying $800 for a tune! the ECU only cost me a grand". The cost of a tune does vary enormously but around here a GOOD tuner will charge upwards of $500 or $600. I think the people who buy a cheap ECU and use the cheapest (price of tuning is not always indicative of quality) tuner usually have low expectations, therefor are accepting of the fact that their end product is an inadequate performer across the range of ECU functions. People just need to know this does not need to be the case Smile

Just as a brain is only as knowledgeable as the information it is filled with, an ECU can only perform as well as the information the tuner supplies it with Wink
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:W series gearboxes
Next Topic:3sgte lsd gearbox
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 1 07:15:34 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069839954376221 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.