Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » '85 hilux.... 3t-gte....?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
xxxplosive
Occasional Poster

August 2005
'85 hilux.... 3t-gte....? Tue, 30 August 2005 10:04 Go to next message
hey guys gotta '85 lolux.. i posted a thread b4 for a 4A-GE into a 3Y bay. My lolux is factory as... the engine in it is on its way out..... (poor 3Y Sad ) so im considering a conversion... i read through a few threads and did some research... im strongly considering a 3t-gte, as they are twin cam 1.8L... I come to you fellow toyota phenatics for assistance on getting this beast into the lolux. What box goes on 3t-gte and how does it fair in a '85 lolux... any help about the engine and box would be great.

Razz
  Send a private message to this user    
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: '85 hilux.... 3t-gte....? Tue, 30 August 2005 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The best box would be a w5x if you want it to hold up nicely.

What year did they stop making 3t-gte's? If it was after 1985 you'll be right (emissions wise), though I have a feeling it would be pushing it.

You'll run into problems finding a 3t-gte, then sourcing parts for it. Personally, I'd probably say to look into a 4age/gze, 3sg(t)e, or 1ggte (depending on how it would fit).

What swaps have people done in the past on these?
xxxplosive
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: '85 hilux.... 3t-gte....? Tue, 30 August 2005 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was looking into a 4A-GE but wondered if there was anything else that would fit with a bit more kick. I'm not sure about what other people have been putting into the lolux as i carnt find a good mini truckers site. www.lowerlevel.com im registered with but no one replys to my threads... Confused I considered a 3S-GTE but there FWD only rn't they? i havent heard of a 3S-GTE thats RWD....
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: '85 hilux.... 3t-gte....? Tue, 30 August 2005 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it all depends on money

its been covered many times

1uz
1gg
1jz

these days with price of fuel i tell people dont touch it

i go thru 120 to 150 bucks a week in fuel heheh

Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: '85 hilux.... 3t-gte....? Tue, 30 August 2005 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any motor can be made RWD so i am told.
I'd go the 1ggte but thats cuz i own one
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: '85 hilux.... 3t-gte....? Tue, 30 August 2005 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
xxxplosive wrote on Tue, 30 August 2005 22:02

i was looking into a 4A-GE but wondered if there was anything else that would fit with a bit more kick. I'm not sure about what other people have been putting into the lolux as i carnt find a good mini truckers site. www.lowerlevel.com im registered with but no one replys to my threads... Confused I considered a 3S-GTE but there FWD only rn't they? i havent heard of a 3S-GTE thats RWD....

3s had been converted to RWD a few times, that said it's no easy conversion as far as I know.

As sideshow said it all depends on what you have to spend!
xxxplosive
Occasional Poster

August 2005
icon7.gif  Re: '85 hilux.... 3t-gte....? Tue, 30 August 2005 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im looking for something around the 2L mark, a 4 banger and turbs (clearly). ive seen a 1JZ in one but thats insane.... plus i got a bit of money to work with so something simple and FAIRLY easy to get in there (if i was going monsterous id go 2JZ) Cool ...

i like the 3s-gte power and rep but once again how they go rwd is beyond me.. i know there a 4WD factory and FWD but never seen a RWD version...
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: '85 hilux.... 3t-gte....? Tue, 30 August 2005 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's no RWD "version" as such, unless the mr2 counts.. haha

Try a search, I know a guy put one into a ta22 somehow, so that would give you a bit of an idea.
xxxplosive
Occasional Poster

August 2005
icon6.gif  Re: '85 hilux.... 3t-gte....? Tue, 30 August 2005 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
will do... thanx for ya help guys Cool its impossible to find toyota specs and stuff online short of this site everywere else is FOR SALE or REVIEW OF 2005 HILUX.

Just one thing if anyone finds out on the 3s-gte RWD conversion/s PM me or just add a post Very Happy

sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: '85 hilux.... 3t-gte....? Tue, 30 August 2005 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if u want efi

it will cost same price whether u go 1uz 1gg 1jz apart from price of engine

no matter what engine u fit u will need efi fuel system
exhaust rad mods accel cable etc etc the list is huge

unless u go carby

so when people say a 1j is insane the main price diff between a 4ag and a 1j will usually be the price of 1j and gbox
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: '85 hilux.... 3t-gte....? Tue, 30 August 2005 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dunno about the 3TGTEU being as rare as some folk say they are. Ditto for parts. Although I reckon there are a number of different power plants, it seems a 1G would be the most practical in terms of bang for buck. I'd love to see a lolux (hilux dropped on its arse?) with a alloy toyota V8.... Very Happy

I'm toying with the idea of a 18rg with a turbo conversion for my 'lux.

[Updated on: Tue, 30 August 2005 13:40]

M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: '85 hilux.... 3t-gte....? Tue, 30 August 2005 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sideshow wrote on Tue, 30 August 2005 22:58

it will cost same price whether u go 1uz 1gg 1jz apart from price of engine

Not quite.
If you want to get the conversion legal, itll need to be engineered and the engineer will probably have different requirements for brakes, etc for each engine.

I thought the same thing when deciding between the 1GGTE and 1UZ for my RA28.
The 1UZ will end up costing a lot more to do all up.
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: '85 hilux.... 3t-gte....? Tue, 30 August 2005 16:30 Go to previous message
From where I've seen, early 1J's can be had for the same, if not cheaper, than a 4A-GE 20 valve. Just some food for thought.

Alternativly, if you don't mind laying a bit out initially, a BEAMS 3S-GE can be had in RWD trim from an Altezza cut.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Do 15 inch steelies fit AE92 corolla ?
Next Topic:What brakes for a KE30
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 01:56:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060350894927979 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.