Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
3rz-fe turbo Mon, 29 August 2005 12:34 Go to next message
Did a search and didn't find too much.

My dad owns a 2004 Hilux and was wondering about turboing it. I had told him about the crazy 180sx using the 3rz.

What I want to know is, how much hp would the stock internals be able to handle? All the stuff I have found has built internals. I would think the easiest way to do this would be to leave it standard compression and run low boost.

Things that are required:
fuel pump
injectors
ecu
intercooler and piping
turbo
exhaust manifold
wastegate
new exhaust
possibly brakes for mod plate
fully sic psssshhhttt BOV so he will be the sickest plumber around Razz

Anything else?

edit - found out it is 9.5:1 compression so I think that should be ok for low boost as long as intake temps are kept down and high octane fuel is used.

[Updated on: Mon, 29 August 2005 12:49]

Send a private message to this user    
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 3rz-fe turbo Mon, 29 August 2005 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What compression does the 3RZ run standard?

I'd have every confidence in a late model toyota engine running low boost successfully with a safely tuned, good ECU.

Obviously it wont be happy on the regular 91 octane though Smile
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 3rz-fe turbo Mon, 29 August 2005 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about the possibility of using N2O instead? I would think that a wet system would be the best to use and you can get unichips to tune fuel and ignition.

I don’t know much about N2O but I would expect that you would want to retard timing like you do when a turbo comes on boost because of additional cylinder pressure.

If it is tuned safely, would 100hp N2O shot have the same effect on engine internals as the equivalent amount of boost from a turbo to make an additional 100hp?

A N2O bottle painted black in the back of plumbers truck wouldn’t stand out so much either Razz
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 3rz-fe turbo Tue, 30 August 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone?
v8xc
Regular

March 2005
Re: 3rz-fe turbo Tue, 30 August 2005 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for the price of refilling a bottle of laughing gas and for the price of a turbo conversion, i'd be goin turbo as in the end it would be cheaper......eventually. Very Happy
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: 3rz-fe turbo Tue, 30 August 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3RZ's have FAT rods, very chunkly indeed, make 18R's look liek twigs
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3rz-fe turbo Tue, 30 August 2005 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have a chat to 2ofdem from PF, he's building a turbo 3RZ monster for his Corona so he'll have some good info for you.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 3rz-fe turbo Tue, 30 August 2005 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks. Didn't know that. Smile
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: 3rz-fe turbo Wed, 31 August 2005 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fe yota blocks are usually good for around a 50% increase in power, approx, so youd get around a safe 100hp increase, or reletiveley safe ^^
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3rz-fe turbo Wed, 31 August 2005 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's the biggest load of crap I've ever heard. I can think of a dozen examples of Toyota engines where many multiples of the stock power output is possible without running into problems with the block. The 2JZ with over 1000hp is a good example.
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 3rz-fe turbo Wed, 31 August 2005 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Wed, 31 August 2005 13:47

That's the biggest load of crap I've ever heard.

you tell 'em Norbie.

Norbie is 1 of the resident tech gurus !
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 3rz-fe turbo Wed, 31 August 2005 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
External gate is a bit excessive, especially if you are going to run low boost.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 3rz-fe turbo Wed, 31 August 2005 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wouldn't you need an external as you need to bypass more exhaust gasses at low boost than high boost.

Terra: I agree with Norbie. I highly doubt that even mega horsepower guys use a different block. They would change internals like pistons, rods etc. but not the block.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3rz-fe turbo Wed, 31 August 2005 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check out this site for an indication of what the 3rzfe block and crank can handle Smile

http://www.world-racing.com/vehicles.htm

There are a number of US drag cars running OEM 3rzfe block and crank, a few are making big power on stock rods too. Toyota tough Wink

I looked into the 3rzfe turbo, but it's tool tall for my car Sad
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 3rz-fe turbo Wed, 31 August 2005 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That is interesting re the stock components Smile

I actually stumbled across that site last night. There is obviously a lot of potential there but I don't think he needs 1400hp in a daily driven work ute Razz

He wants to beat my car though. So he was thinking a decent sized turbo. (About the same as mine, mine is rated at 650hp) I wasn't sure if the stock internals would be able to handle about 400hp or so? (flywheel) Standard compression and boost kept around 10psi or less.
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: 3rz-fe turbo Wed, 31 August 2005 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Wed, 31 August 2005 13:17

That's the biggest load of crap I've ever heard. I can think of a dozen examples of Toyota engines where many multiples of the stock power output is possible without running into problems with the block. The 2JZ with over 1000hp is a good example.

ok gues si shouldve re worded long block then

and you didnt read what i said.. i said FE engines.

i KNOW the 2J GE bottom can handle like 1k hp with no mods Very Happy

now lets see you name some FE engines with stock bottoms that can safeley do 50%+ power.

i cant seem to figure any out, sure plenty will do it with ETIHER rods OR pistons, cranks always seem to be strong on toyotass.

ok better edit b4 i get flamed again,i KNOW FE/GE have nothing to do with the bottom b4 someone tries to point this out to me. but in general FE designated engines dont usually have a complete set of bottom end parts from factory to handle 100%+ power. a few things like 3sge and xjge's can do it all stock in ternals etc but like i said, theyre GE engines, not fe. and everyone who turbos 5sfe's knows that they melt pistions like candle wax Razz

[Updated on: Wed, 31 August 2005 05:10]

ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3rz-fe turbo Wed, 31 August 2005 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

now lets see you name some FE engines with stock bottoms that can safeley do 50%+ power.

That starlet GT that was at a Toymods dyno day a while back and made about 210fwkw (1.3L turbo Shocked ), they are an FE engine and those things only make less than 80fwkw in standard guise.

Myth busted Laughing
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 3rz-fe turbo Wed, 31 August 2005 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about Sean's 1fz-fe 4.5L landcruiser motor. He has stock internals and has made 321rwkw and is set to make some more at the next dyno outing. Now using a 1000hp turbo IIRC.

I don't know how much they make stock but I am pretty sure it isn't 300kw Razz

[Updated on: Wed, 31 August 2005 05:21]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 3rz-fe turbo Wed, 31 August 2005 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How about Justen's GT8? That 1UZFE is pushing out stupid amounts of power on a stock engine.

NOTE: In the interests of political correctness, that is DEFINETLY stupid in a good way Wink

[Updated on: Wed, 31 August 2005 05:28]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 3rz-fe turbo Wed, 31 August 2005 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke382TG wrote on Wed, 31 August 2005 15:20

Quote:

That starlet GT that was at a Toymods dyno day a while back and made about 210fwkw (1.3L turbo Shocked ), they are an FE engine and those things only make less than 80fwkw in standard guise.

Myth busted Laughing

not to mention the 2jzfse, hahahaha if you really wanted to it'd produce nutty power with a turbo.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3rz-fe turbo Wed, 31 August 2005 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1GZ-FE anyone? Even though I've never seen one up close, I'll bet money I can get 3 times the quoted factory power output without touching the long block.

Now someone give me one so I can prove my theory.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3rz-fe turbo Wed, 31 August 2005 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Now someone give me one so I can prove my theory.

*reaches into pocket........pulls out tissue and fluff* Sorry I'm out Wink
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: 3rz-fe turbo Wed, 31 August 2005 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
god those cars are ugly, why would u want a FWD drag car, especially since the engine is designated RWD, oh well

but 1400hp is mad, think of the torque
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 3rz-fe turbo Wed, 31 August 2005 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr DOHC wrote on Wed, 31 August 2005 15:47

god those cars are ugly, why would u want a FWD drag car, especially since the engine is designated RWD, oh well

but 1400hp is mad, think of the torque

which car are you talking about
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3rz-fe turbo Wed, 31 August 2005 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In here:

http://www.world-racing.com/vehicles.htm

the Celica and the Scion

Corona RT142, please don't use my quotes in your posts, it makes me feel violated Confused

terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: 3rz-fe turbo Wed, 31 August 2005 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok so ive been answered, like i said, name some Very Happy im not a guru with toyota engines so its good to know more info now.

so anyone know what the 'S' designation in toyota engines are for? (After the dash, so NOT like 3s-ge)

also thse big output guys are they run dailay at those levels or not? because its different to have dyno numbers and be safe/reliable which is what i said earlier.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 3rz-fe turbo Wed, 31 August 2005 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
S - Direct Injection
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 3rz-fe turbo Wed, 31 August 2005 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh okay if you talkin turbo's that big, then external gate for sure Smile (in fact turbo's of that size probably arent available internally gated)

I thought you were aiming more around the GT28 size, which was the main reason why I suggested the external gate would be overkill.
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: 3rz-fe turbo Thu, 01 September 2005 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have a look at www.lecengineering.com also

Sean
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: 3rz-fe turbo Thu, 01 September 2005 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats a great site sean Rolling Eyes
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 3rz-fe turbo Thu, 01 September 2005 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
He means this one bro Razz

http://www.lcengineering.com/
assassin10000
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: 3rz-fe turbo Fri, 02 September 2005 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a few tidbits of knowledge from across the pond.

The 3rz-fe stock rods/crank block are great for boost. The ONLY weak point with the lower end is the pistons which tend to melt 1350 degrees F+ - as they are a cast alloy that doesn't take well to too much boost (say 15lbs or more) but up to that they are very very stout motors.

For a one example of how strong and well these motors handle, Luis of Paradise Racing ( www.paradiseracing.com ) Has a turbo 3rz swapped into his AE86 with the only internal part change being low comp pistons, running in the 8's in the quarter.

A good resource to search through and/or ask questions would be www.customtacos.com - a toyota tacoma (hilux) website/club over here. One guy on there Jerry has done 3-4 turbo tacoma/hilux motors to my knowledge. The first one being a 2rz that he daily drove at 15 psi, and didn't blow till he raced a chevrolet camaro ss - and beat it on 23psi, stock block/internals.

If you're willing to pay, a nice turbo manifold which installs with just slight modification of the right side motor mount (bracket must be ground a slight bit for fitment) can be had from www.benzboy.com (about 350 or 400usd last i checked) or for quite a bit more from www.lcengineering.com (6-900 usd from what I can remember)

I would hazard to guess that these motors would safely do just over double the hp. (my motor as well, turbo manifold, turbo and other goodies in the closet for my own 3rz-fte)

If you want a real testament to the strength of the stock block, crank and rods search for info on the NHRA Turbo Celica - it's 1000hp on the STOCK toyota 3rz block, crank and rods. Granted the rods have probably been shot peened, crank polished and motor blue printed (amongst other sponsored race team niceties)... but still a great example of what these motors are capable of.

Andrew

[Updated on: Fri, 02 September 2005 04:01]

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 3rz-fe turbo Fri, 02 September 2005 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that info. mate.

I will check those sites out. Sounds like it is a very viable option though with the use of stock internals which is always good.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: 3rz-fe turbo Fri, 02 September 2005 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and when u fry the tits out of it, my work has a few sparies for ya Wink
assassin10000
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: 3rz-fe turbo Fri, 02 September 2005 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A very viable option - especially low boost (12lbs and under) with proper tuning.

If you wan't a nice easy way to get lower compression without actually fitting new pistons try contacting a south african company called alpine developments [ www.alpine-developments.co.za ]
(www.alpine-developments.us - US website, south african seems to be down with a glitch)

They are the company that developed and sold/licensed the 2rz and 3rz supercharger system to TRD.

Of course TRD took several things away from the kits and made them cheaper/worse.

One difference is the alpine developments there was a low comp supercharger kit for the 3rz that came with a 1mm steel headgasket spacer kit to drop the compression down to 8.25:1 if I remember right.

Luckily enough a member of TTORA (www.tacomaterritory.com) in new york state had purchased one of the original kits, but didn't use install his spacer kit, and I got that from him for my project.

EDIT: found an old email with info on the spacer (i had to ask, kit came with an 11psi pulley)

Quote:

Hi Andrew:

The compression will be 8.25:1 with the "spacer plate". We have never found
the need for larger "dowels" in all of our fitments to date. If you have a
problem, you can lift the existing dowels up in the block.

John Conchie

I hope this has answered your questions. If you should have any other
questions or concerns, don't hesitate to contact us again. Thank you for
your continued interest and patience.

Stephen M. Belanger
Sales & Marketing
S.A. Alpine Developments, Inc.
7581 Acacia Avenue
Garden Grove, Ca. 92841
Ph. (714) 379-8066
Fx. (714) 379-8166
sbelanger@alpine-developments.us
www.alpine-developments.co.za

Andrew

[Updated on: Fri, 02 September 2005 05:15]

assassin10000
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: 3rz-fe turbo Fri, 02 September 2005 05:30 Go to previous message
Also - something I didn't think about until now.

You can purchase a thicker headgasket from cometic (racing gaskets company based in the usa)

A nice (reusable believe it or not) multi layer steel headgasket for the 2r/3rz-fe - which I myself may do instead of using the spacer now that I'm thinking about it. Luis is also running one of these (stock thickness i think) on his turbo 3rz/ae86.

If you want a good deal contact Luis @ paradiseracing.com , I personally have dealt with him for a MLS cometic headgasket and arp headstuds for my 4age when I blew my headgasket.

If you wan't any vouches or info talk to people on www.club4ag.com as he has done lots of business and has a great reputation.

Andrew
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3tgte Vacumn Lines/pressure switches
Next Topic:1jz throttle body upgrade?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 02:21:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0066680908203125 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.