Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
KOS!
Newcomer

April 2005
Supercharger stuffs Tue, 30 August 2005 09:29 Go to next message
Im doing the stupid, putting an SC14 onto my SR20DE, which is currently in a S13. I would do the smart thing and put a proper engine in it, 1jz, but i cant afford it Razz

I have a few questions;

Does anybody know how the TPS system works? Because the SC14 has an electromagnetic clutch i was thinking, if i can get a module to recgnoize when the car is ilding / throttle is closed, i could turn off the supercharger and elimate the need for a BOV to bleed of the excess pressure. Anybody know any way i would be able to do this or is it just worth it to stick with using a BOV?

on the exhaust side of my engine, are the Air con compressor and power steering pump. With the SC14 on there, neither of them will fit. Im quite happy dropping the air con, but not the power steering. I'll need to relocate it to the other side under the Alternator, but im not sure that the existing pump will fit. Can i just change the pulley for a smaller one? Could I just replace it with any other pump thats smaller and will fit in properly?

Thanks

www.driftpig.com

[Updated on: Tue, 30 August 2005 09:30]

Send a private message to this user    
bassy
Regular

July 2004
Re: Supercharger stuffs Tue, 30 August 2005 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u can make up a switch like what the brake pedal uses. (not sure if this is the case with the newer cars) but when u step on the accelerator the switch turns on and the magnetic clutch turns on etc.
KOS!
Newcomer

April 2005
Re: Supercharger stuffs Tue, 30 August 2005 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that sounds like a much simpler idea, will i cause any damage to the charger by turning it on and off so often?
bassy
Regular

July 2004
Re: Supercharger stuffs Tue, 30 August 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im pretty sure you only cause harn to the clutch if you turn it on at high revs, i would nt turn it on above idle
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Supercharger stuffs Tue, 30 August 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had my SC set up for a year switching on at 50% throttle. No evident damage and it used to switch at high RPM occasionally.

The accel switch sounds like a good simple idea. Or if you have aftermarket management run it off the MAP signal.

Hen
Enchanter
Regular

July 2005
Re: Supercharger stuffs Wed, 31 August 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The problem here would be as soon as you put your foot on the break the supercharger will turn off.
Imagine sceaming into a corner in thrid, get on the breaks and knock it back to second and accelerate hard out of the corner, BANG goes the supercahrger when it engages at 6000rpm.

I think you would need another system.

Unfortunately I don't know what Rolling Eyes

toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Supercharger stuffs Wed, 31 August 2005 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the stock system the SC is in ie 1ggze (sc14) or 4agze (sc12) both enguage and disenguage the sc as you drive and if you provoke them you can enguage them at high revs. ive *never* seen a problem with the SC giving up.
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Supercharger stuffs Wed, 31 August 2005 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Enchanter wrote on Wed, 31 August 2005 17:40

The problem here would be as soon as you put your foot on the break the supercharger will turn off.
Imagine sceaming into a corner in thrid, get on the breaks and knock it back to second and accelerate hard out of the corner, BANG goes the supercahrger when it engages at 6000rpm.

This is exactly how mine worked for a year. As a driver you had to get used to it as it could come in with quite a kick (10" vac to 10psi boost in the blink of an eye) but it didn't seem to damage the SC.

Or you can put a turn off delay on the switch, so it only switches off after being under 50% throttle for a few seconds.

Hen
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Supercharger stuffs Wed, 31 August 2005 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Henn wrote on Wed, 31 August 2005 20:38

Enchanter wrote on Wed, 31 August 2005 17:40

This is exactly how mine worked for a year. As a driver you had to get used to it as it could come in with quite a kick (10" vac to 10psi boost in the blink of an eye) but it didn't seem to damage the SC.

Or you can put a turn off delay on the switch, so it only switches off after being under 50% throttle for a few seconds.

Hen

i vote that idea Very Happy
corbet01
Regular

April 2005
Re: Supercharger stuffs Wed, 31 August 2005 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hobbs vacume switch?
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Supercharger stuffs Wed, 31 August 2005 12:45 Go to previous message
The best solution in my opinion is the factory solution:

ON at less than 8" (of water) vacuum

OFF at more than 10" vac for more than 5 secs

But you need aftermarket management, or maybe a Hobbs vacuum switch, to run it that way.

Hen
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:85 Corona Avante Taco Booster needed
Next Topic:urgent help please...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 17:37:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046260356903076 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.